BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #1
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

car won't play from ipod unless i start from ipod itself?

So, just picked up my new mineral white Msport today. tried to read as many of the posts here on the ipod topic as i could. was concerned that this would be an issue as i have a pretty sizeable library and music is important to me.

When going over the car at the dealer, i first tried my old fashioned ipod classic (the one with the wheel lol). this would have been my preferred choice. it recognized it right away and played. however, after going in to do my paperwork it did not work when i got back in the car. just seemed like it just locked up, screen went black. I recently bought a gen. 7 ipod touch last week just in case so we plugged that in next. all seemed to work - shuffle, album art, etc.

when i go back to the car after shutting it down, it shows the song where it left off, album art, but the clock says 0:00 and it does not start playing. if i skip to next song it will show next song info/art but the clock stays at 0. the only way to get it going is to physically hit the > button on the ipod itself. then it starts playing.

am i doing something wrong here or is it just the way it is?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
So, just picked up my new mineral white Msport today. tried to read as many of the posts here on the ipod topic as i could. was concerned that this would be an issue as i have a pretty sizeable library and music is important to me.

When going over the car at the dealer, i first tried my old fashioned ipod classic (the one with the wheel lol). this would have been my preferred choice. it recognized it right away and played. however, after going in to do my paperwork it did not work when i got back in the car. just seemed like it just locked up, screen went black. I recently bought a gen. 7 ipod touch last week just in case so we plugged that in next. all seemed to work - shuffle, album art, etc.

when i go back to the car after shutting it down, it shows the song where it left off, album art, but the clock says 0:00 and it does not start playing. if i skip to next song it will show next song info/art but the clock stays at 0. the only way to get it going is to physically hit the > button on the ipod itself. then it starts playing.

am i doing something wrong here or is it just the way it is?
Your doing something wrong. I have a iPod connected to my '20 X5 and it works. Occasionally I have to reload but then it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

out a few more times tonight and once it worked fine. 2 other times had to start from the ipod after getting back in the car. one time while driving stopped and had to start from ipod. will have to dig in a bit more tomorrow but frustrating at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
out a few more times tonight and once it worked fine. 2 other times had to start from the ipod after getting back in the car. one time while driving stopped and had to start from ipod. will have to dig in a bit more tomorrow but frustrating at this point.
I'll check my settings tomorrow and advise.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:22 AM   #6
JakeFroth
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus

When you're sure about a fix, please share with us.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
FYI, I have my IPod connected to the USB connection next to the wireless charger and leave permanently connected.

I'm assuming I can't connect it using with USB connection between the seats. Can anyone confirm is this is accurate?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I tried it in both the front USB as well as between front seats (USB-C)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
I tried it in both the front USB as well as between front seats (USB-C)
Did you have it working at any point using the USB-C connection between the seats? I was under the impression from that connection the older IPods don't work.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
The first time I connected my iPod Classic. It took a very long time. For one thing, it had to charge. The charge had dissipated since I sold my other car. Then it had to load the metadata for all the songs, albums and playlists. This took several hours. It only does this one time. After that, it is recognized immediately.
Appreciate 1
RVAGuy167.00
      02-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
The first time I connected my iPod Classic. It took a very long time. For one thing, it had to charge. The charge had dissipated since I sold my other car. Then it had to load the metadata for all the songs, albums and playlists. This took several hours. It only does this one time. After that, it is recognized immediately.
This will incentivize me to purchase a connection to see if it works. I would prefer to connect the IPod using the USB port between the seats. I now have in front of the wireless charger which clutters up the space making it difficult to use the wireless charger and impossible to use the cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm using the port between the seats. i initially tried the ipod classic which worked immediately. shut the car off and when i came back it was locked up. idrive screen went black.

plugged in latest gen ipod touch and also worked immediately. issue is that music won't start up again - shows track, album art, run time - but it's "stuck". only way to get it going is to reach into center console grab ipod and hit the play button to get it going again.

some more time today and when it got stuck, toggled between ipod and FM radio. that also worked sometimes and got it playing again. it's like it gets stuck in pause mode. interesting that there's no actual "play" button in the car. or an on/off switch for that matter lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #13
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Called Genius this morning and not surprised they were not able to offer a solution. Said they would make note of the issue and pass it along. Had me do a hard reboot of idrive to no avail. This should be a really simple task and really disappointing BMW can't figure out how to play music. BTW what is the thumb wheel near the steering wheel supposed to do? when i press or turn it just says "please wait" and nothing happens.

Will try the USB to hard drive route. Dumb question, but once i plug a thumb drive in and download to the cars' hard drive, can i remove the thumb drive or does it have to stay plugged in?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just for the hell of it, i put the ipod classic back in and so far it's working flawlessly. fingers crossed it stays this way.
Appreciate 0