03-05-2024, 02:39 PM   #23
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y, BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I don't think it's about calling the OP a liar as much as it's about asking yourself what's more likely?

1) A basic part like a wheel makes it through the wheel manufacturer's QC process, where it goes to the BMW plant, makes it through BMW's QC process, passes the test drive, gets delivered to a dealer and customer, and nobody notices the problem.

2) Someone driving the car in its short life hit a pothole hard enough to bend a wheel but assumed that it wasn't a big deal, and then sometime later realize there's a problem.
(3) Wheel is damaged loading or unloading the vehicle from the delivery truck.

(4) A dealer new car porter ran over a curb, bent the wheel, and didn’t tell the boss.

I’ve seen them all. My car was delivered with Right Rear wheel curb damage that we didn’t catch until we got home (50 miles). It had 2 miles on it. Fortunately my wife just happened to take picture of that wheel (got very lucky) before delivery and the pic caught the preexisting damage. The dealer had it fixed once I show them the pic (at 6 o’clock position). So it happens.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      03-06-2024, 12:08 AM   #24
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I have not brought it up with BMW. The defects looks like there was dirt on the surface when it was painted. There are quite a few. Easy to see when I prep'd and ceramic'd the car. It's not THAT bad but still noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davchr View Post
How were your paint defects fixed? I am finding dirt in the paint on my new car. I am concerned that if they repaint a fender and get a PERFECT match today that in a year or two the new paint will fade differently than the original paint. I have seen that happen more often than not.
Appreciate 1
davchr80.50
      03-06-2024, 09:24 AM   #25
MTI422
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Slightly off topic but my wife brought in her brand new Mercedes GL450 to the dealership, not two weeks old, because of a low tire pressure warning. They discovered a bulge on the inside of the suspect tire which couldn't be seen from the outside. The service department said she must have hit something, which she hadn't, but we basically were forced to buy a new tire for $450--and this was ten years ago. The defective tire should have been covered by the tire warranty but I was too busy at work to spend time arguing and so told her just to buy the tire. She's never forgotten it and still is mad about it whenever the subject comes up.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2024, 09:57 AM   #26
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, 718 Cayman, 65 Etype

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I have not brought it up with BMW. The defects looks like there was dirt on the surface when it was painted. There are quite a few. Easy to see when I prep'd and ceramic'd the car. It's not THAT bad but still noticeable.
Thanks. I have a few dirt in the paint defects on my new X5. Also a few chips in the wood on the interior that I found before accepting the vehicle. The dealer agreed, in writing, to replace the damaged wood. Compared to other new vehicles I have purchased such as Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Porsche, and Jaguar, BMW's quality and attention to detail is not very good.
Appreciate 1
eluded3043.00
      03-06-2024, 09:59 AM   #27
MJBradley1967
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI422 View Post
Slightly off topic but my wife brought in her brand new Mercedes GL450 to the dealership, not two weeks old, because of a low tire pressure warning. They discovered a bulge on the inside of the suspect tire which couldn't be seen from the outside. The service department said she must have hit something, which she hadn't, but we basically were forced to buy a new tire for $450--and this was ten years ago. The defective tire should have been covered by the tire warranty but I was too busy at work to spend time arguing and so told her just to buy the tire. She's never forgotten it and still is mad about it whenever the subject comes up.
Every manufacturer is capable and quite willing to pull something like this, and I'm saying it's generally the manufacturer's unwritten rule to fix a little as possible.
      03-06-2024, 06:43 PM   #28
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Still waiting to hear back from BMW NA, but I noticed that all 4 of my wheels have a bunch of balancers when I bought it but I didn't think anything of it at the time, is this normal for a new car? Could the out of round wheel be a potential root cause for the need for these balancers?

[/RIGHT]
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:50 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG25 View Post
Still waiting to hear back from BMW NA, but I noticed that all 4 of my wheels have a bunch of balancers when I bought it but I didn't think anything of it at the time, is this normal for a new car? Could the out of round wheel be a potential root cause for the need for these balancers?
That is normal.
E91toG05342.50
      03-06-2024, 07:08 PM   #30
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. Out of round cannot be fixed with weights/balancing.

Are you having a problem with the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:34 AM   #31
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg91 View Post
(3) Wheel is damaged loading or unloading the vehicle from the delivery truck.

(4) A dealer new car porter ran over a curb, bent the wheel, and didn’t tell the boss.

I’ve seen them all. My car was delivered with Right Rear wheel curb damage that we didn’t catch until we got home (50 miles). It had 2 miles on it. Fortunately my wife just happened to take picture of that wheel (got very lucky) before delivery and the pic caught the preexisting damage. The dealer had it fixed once I show them the pic (at 6 o’clock position). So it happens.
Sure, those things absolutely can happen, but the huge distinction is that you had actual evidence that the damage happened before you took delivery of the car.

That's not the situation here though, and unfortunately there is no shortage of people in the world that will try to get someone else to pay for damage they actually caused themselves, whether they realize it or not.

I'm genuinely on the dealer's side here--once the vehicle leaves the lot with its new owner, they have no visibility or control of what happens to it.

We all end up paying for the damage in the long run when BMW or the dealers cough up the new parts at no charge.
      03-08-2024, 10:16 AM   #32
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep

I guess it's my fault for not lifting the car and inspecting the rotation of the tires on the lot and doing a full inspection on a brand new car before purchasing it. They wouldn't even let me test drive it on the highway, so who knows if they would even agree to that inspection. I'm saying the highway noise was apparent immediately when driving home from the dealership on the highway. The service tech is saying they test drove it, heard the noise, and it's associated with the out of round tire. Who knows, maybe that's not even the root cause of the road noise, the other threads mentioned something completely different as the root cause, but they refuse to proceed with anything further unless that wheel is replaced.

So I'm in a situation where there is no evidence to support either side, there are multiple possibilities with no way to know which is true, and apparently the customer's word isn't worth anything.

I guess a very expensive lesson learned is to perform a full inspection before purchasing a new BMW. On that, isn't it standard to perform the inspection at a different shop? Based on their rules I wouldn't even be allowed to do that. So is the lesson learned to not buy a BMW again? I don't think that is a reasonable takeaway here, just highlighting the ridiculousness of this situation, and I don't think it's reasonable for a customer to have to do all that. Also, this is purely just in response to tooloud10, or anyone that thinks the dealer is right here, BMW NA and the Dealer have not yet responded to me about how they plan to help here, but from my conversations with them so far, it sounds like they 100% go based on what the service tech says.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #33
BRB-Prsch928S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i M-Sport

Can you take it to another dealer and get their opinion? A reputable dealer would, first of all, let you drive the car you just bought on the highway, and secondly would do whatever it takes to make you a satisfied customer. That to me would be to warranty the replacement wheel, seek reimbursement from BMW as defective part, or otherwise eat the cost to keep you happy and returning for more business.

My opinion only: That looks to me like an excessive amount of wheel weights for a new wheel/tire combo, and to me indicates the factory had trouble balancing the setup, and it should have been rejected before being installed on the car. However, I have no idea what their QC tolerances might be.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 11:51 AM   #34
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

How many miles on the car? Check the warranty book, but I believe BMW warranties the alignment and wheel balance for the first [2k] miles. Make them realign it and rebalance the wheel. If they argue they can’t because you damaged the wheel, make them show you the damage? You in turn argue it was a preexisting condition. Definitely need to get BMW corporate involved. Most importantly, write a review of your dealer’s delivery experience on Google, and give them 0 stars. No need to be nasty, just give the facts. My guess is you get a humble call from the owner or manager of the dealership with an offer to make it right if you change your review. I had to take that route for a non-repair on an Infiniti I owned…it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 01:16 PM   #35
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I guess it's my fault for not lifting the car and inspecting the rotation of the tires on the lot and doing a full inspection on a brand new car before purchasing it.
I mean, technically that's right. Once you take delivery of a vehicle, you own it and any of its associated problems unless you can convince the dealer that it happened before you owned the car or that it should be covered by a warranty. In this case neither of those conditions are true.

Quote:
They wouldn't even let me test drive it on the highway,
"I'm not buying a car that I can't try on the highway."

Quote:
So I'm in a situation where there is no evidence to support either side, there are multiple possibilities with no way to know which is true, and apparently the customer's word isn't worth anything.
Correct again. As a (non-car) salesperson, I will point out that customers indeed have a habit of trying to get the selling party to pay for something that they broke themselves. I am not saying that's the case here, I'm pointing out that you seemingly haven't convinced the dealer that this is their problem to solve. They experience this all the time.

Quote:
I guess a very expensive lesson learned is to perform a full inspection before purchasing a new BMW. On that, isn't it standard to perform the inspection at a different shop? Based on their rules I wouldn't even be allowed to do that. So is the lesson learned to not buy a BMW again? I don't think that is a reasonable takeaway here, just highlighting the ridiculousness of this situation, and I don't think it's reasonable for a customer to have to do all that. Also, this is purely just in response to tooloud10, or anyone that thinks the dealer is right here, BMW NA and the Dealer have not yet responded to me about how they plan to help here, but from my conversations with them so far, it sounds like they 100% go based on what the service tech says.
Last year I bought a CPO Honda for my daughter. As part of the CPO process the brakes are supposed to be at 50% or better. She only drove the car 4k miles and when I took it to get serviced the (different) Honda dealer pointed out that it needed new rear brakes.

I asked them if it made sense that a CPO vehicle could need new rear brakes after 4k miles of driving, they shrugged, I realized that I had no logical way of convincing them that this was anyone's problem but my own, so I pulled out my credit card to solve the problem.

My lesson learned.
      03-08-2024, 01:37 PM   #36
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
How many miles on the car? Check the warranty book, but I believe BMW warranties the alignment and wheel balance for the first 10k miles. .
Alignment and balancing is covered for up to 2k miles under warranty.
TexAg91121.50
      03-08-2024, 03:04 PM   #37
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Last year I bought a CPO Honda for my daughter. As part of the CPO process the brakes are supposed to be at 50% or better. She only drove the car 4k miles and when I took it to get serviced the (different) Honda dealer pointed out that it needed new rear brakes.

I asked them if it made sense that a CPO vehicle could need new rear brakes after 4k miles of driving, they shrugged, I realized that I had no logical way of convincing them that this was anyone's problem but my own, so I pulled out my credit card to solve the problem.

My lesson learned.
True, but then you purchase a used (CPO) Honda, not a brand new $80k plus BMW. That aside, I’d question the second dealer’s motives —how many mills were left on the rear brake pads, and how much when new. It’s possible the service writer was padding the bill, especially given they weren’t the selling dealer. You may not have needed new rear pads. If you did, then they were below 50% when you purchased, and I’d make the selling dealer replace them. They should be covered under warranty if it was a Honda CPO — 12 months/12K miles bumper to bumper.

Anyway, I’d be unhappy too if I was asked to pay $1500 for a rim that I did not damage on a brand new car. The issue is with the dealer, not BMW. That’s why he should get BMW corp involved. If the wheel is bent, and given the fact it sounds like it’s not visible, means it can likely be repaired for a faction of the cost of a new one. I’ll take OP’s word for it that they did not run over or hit anything on the drive home that could have damaged the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:05 PM   #38
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's at about 1000 miles. I also think that seems to be an excessive amount of wheel weights. Regarding the alignment, they will not proceed to speak about any wheel related issue until the wheel is replaced first due to it being out of round for an unknown reason, and it is not covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:34 PM   #39
TexAg91
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

How much to have it fixed at a wheel shop? Odd that they want to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:38 PM   #40
AndrewG25
Enlisted Member
Rep

I agree, it does seem odd to replace. I can check on that option once I hear back from BMW NA on my open case.

I don't even think the wheel is the root cause of the road noise though. There are several owners and threads talking about the same exact sound I'm hearing and the solution is well known to be dampeners on the control arm. But my technician won't even discuss anything tire or wheel related noise before replacing it.

Other threads I'm referring to
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2011745
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1938818
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1698738
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 07:39 PM   #41
JoeAyalaM
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMWX5 M60i / Audi S6 V8TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRB-Prsch928S View Post
My opinion only: That looks to me like an excessive amount of wheel weights for a new wheel/tire combo, and to me indicates the factory had trouble balancing the setup, and it should have been rejected before being installed on the car. However, I have no idea what their QC tolerances might be.
Precisely, that is WAY TO MANY WEIGHTS it shows there is some Q.C. problem somewhere there.

Ask a wheel shop, there is a limit to the weight that should be used to balance them.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 12:04 PM   #42
davchr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's at about 1000 miles. I also think that seems to be an excessive amount of wheel weights. Regarding the alignment, they will not proceed to speak about any wheel related issue until the wheel is replaced first due to it being out of round for an unknown reason, and it is not covered under warranty.
I would take the car to tire shop and ask them to CHECK the balance of the wheel in question. If it is out of balance you can decide if you want the tire shop to balance it or bring it back to the dealer and get them to balance it and then determine if there is still a problem. I would probably take it back to the dealer, unbalanced, with the balance results. I can make an argument to have the tire shop balance it as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 12:00 PM   #43
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
True, but then you purchase a used (CPO) Honda, not a brand new $80k plus BMW.
Don't see why that matters, they're both reputable manufacturers that provide warranties with specific terms.

Quote:
That aside, I’d question the second dealer’s motives —how many mills were left on the rear brake pads, and how much when new. It’s possible the service writer was padding the bill, especially given they weren’t the selling dealer. You may not have needed new rear pads. If you did, then they were below 50% when you purchased,
Sure, it could be any of those things.

Quote:
and I’d make the selling dealer replace them. They should be covered under warranty if it was a Honda CPO — 12 months/12K miles bumper to bumper.
Perfect, just let me know how to make them do that. If it matters the dealer is hundreds of miles away and has a history of being incredibly difficult to work with.

I can't imagine the time and effort involved to get the dealer to compensate me $500 for the brakes is going to be worth it.

Quote:
Anyway, I’d be unhappy too if I was asked to pay $1500 for a rim that I did not damage on a brand new car. The issue is with the dealer, not BMW. That’s why he should get BMW corp involved. If the wheel is bent, and given the fact it sounds like it’s not visible, means it can likely be repaired for a faction of the cost of a new one. I’ll take OP’s word for it that they did not run over or hit anything on the drive home that could have damaged the wheel.
"Just get BMW corp involved" and "this is on the dealer" don't seem to have proven to be very useful in the OP's situation--that's kinda the point here, isn't it?

I agree that it could probably be repaired for much less than the $1500 replacement cost, so that's what I would just go and do on my own. How much arguing are you guys willing to go through to save a few hundred bucks on something like this?
      03-12-2024, 08:22 AM   #44
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Andrew

Do you have a reputable wheel repair shop in your area......

Reputable as they apply heat to straighten out a wheel, but too much heat can also make the wheel structurally weaker. It's probably your most cost effective option. There is less than a handful if not just 1 wheel repair shop I would go to in my area if I needed such work done....so pick wisely
Appreciate 0