BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #23
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

All the Euro brands are painting the same way with the same materials. The European regulations were much harder on manufacturing regarding painting, leather tanning and all the typical byproducts and then the US followed along. By the very ideology of the “megaphone shouting earth friendly hypocrisy movement”, they want easily disposable and recyclable products. Of course they have no desire of quality or heirloom products that last which in turn wouldn’t end up in a landfill as soon but hey, they don’t want you to drive or own a car in the first place so.......

Last edited by MystroX5; 12-03-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      12-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #24
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
All the Euro brands are painting the same way with the same materials. The European regulations were much harder on manufacturing regarding painting, leather tanning and all the typical byproducts and then the US followed along. By the very ideology of the “megaphone shouting earth friendly hypocrisy movement”, they want easily disposable and recyclable products. Of course they have no desire of quality or heirloom products that last which in turn wouldn’t end up in a landfill as soon but hey, they don’t want you to drive or own a car in the first place so.......
Agree, very well stated.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #25
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Quote:
Agree, very well stated.
: disagree
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighStEclaire View Post
: disagree
Hard to disagree with any of that post.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #27
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
By the very ideology of the "megaphone shouting earth friendly hypocrisy movement", they want easily disposable and recyclable products. Of course they have no desire of quality or heirloom products that last which in turn wouldn't end up in a landfill as soon but hey, they don't want you to drive or own a car in the first place so.......
This is actually really easy to disagree with. Though this is based on my opinions and reasonable people can have differing opinions.

The quoted label is an odd moniker of what group in particular? Disposable and recyclable are different concepts with the comment on ending in a landfill seeming to disregard what "recycle" means. Should mass produced cars that most initial buyers will lease or sell within 5-8 years really be considered heirloom? Who is this "they" bogeyman? Is it a group of people interested in mitigating the harm our species is doing to the world we leave our children? Is it a bunch of people that get off telling others what to drive? Is it really so straightforward?

Progress means things like developing an assembly line that can create a car for you from small parts in a day. It means developing an HUD that folks can option not to have if they dislike it. And it means recognizing that some of the stuff "we" did before may not have balanced risk and benefit in such a way as to remain sustainable for others that go after us.

We are all hypocrites at some level. And it's infuriating to hear the holier than thou bull snickers (I don't know the rules on cussing here ) from some in the group I think was mentioned above. But I believe there are far more people who are good intentioned, who recognize the types of changes that move us toward a future more sustainable for the coming generations are small and incremental, and who try to "be the change they wish to see in the world". These are the people I want making rules and regulations that result in incremental changes to clean up our act. And yeah, you may need to patch a few more dents. But you're participating in making the smallest of steps toward a better world.

So I disagree. At least until my new 45e gets a ding (kidding!)

*note: the above argument depends on a rigorous application of the scientific method to environmental study and legislation based on results/data/science. Not on politicians (of any persuasion) twisting science to support their agenda. This is a very challenging part of the equation.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #28
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I had an INfiniti M35x when it first came out. THe paint and process on that vehicle's paint was IMHO, terrible. The hood was aluminum, and the paint did not seem to be well adhered. Any small chip in their fairly hard paint, debonded, left a chip whose edges lifted up sort of like drying mud in a puddle as it dries out. I don't think they cleaned it properly prior to painting, or their choice of primer was incorrect. ANyway, I've not had any major difficulties with the BMW paint. My X5 is new, so it's too early to tell for sure. To me, it feels more like plastic than a rigid coating.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

And now back to our regularly scheduled program before this turns into a political argument.
      12-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #30
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
And now back to our regularly scheduled program before this turns into a political argument.
Apologies to all. I got a little spicy.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #31
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
I had an INfiniti M35x when it first came out. THe paint and process on that vehicle's paint was IMHO, terrible.
They're disposable "luxury" vehicles. They have some of the cheapest and poorest quality around. This is impressive:

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #32
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

If you all think the BMW paint is terrible, to make yourselves feel better, just look at the paint on a Tesla.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      12-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #33
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
If you all think the BMW paint is terrible, to make yourselves feel better, just look at the paint on a Tesla.
Take a look at the paint on Nissan products or any Asian crap wagon for that matter. Their clear coats fail here in FL sometimes within 3 years. Tesla finishes are a dream compared to the paint on most Asian tin cans.
Appreciate 0