BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #23
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Thanks for the detailed response!

One last question, is it possible to keep the 2 axle air on the "Sport" height or is that something I'd have to manually adjust each time I drive?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It will always start in Comfort as the default but you can use coding to have your default mode be Sport which will result in your desired height.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      11-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #25
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I test drove an M sport yesterday. In my opinion it was a little floaty and stiff at the same time. I might opt for the air suspension. I need a more comfortable yet planted SUV.

Only concern is the cornering ability and reliability. I read forum stories and also watched YouTube videos on air suspension issues.

Now the MSRP is around $78K and is making me think again. I can't seem to find many good alternatives to an X5, it does it all, comfort, sport, luxury at a reasonable price point.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #26
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
I test drove an M sport yesterday. In my opinion it was a little floaty and stiff at the same time. I might opt for the air suspension. I need a more comfortable yet planted SUV.

Only concern is the cornering ability and reliability. I read forum stories and also watched YouTube videos on air suspension issues.

Now the MSRP is around $78K and is making me think again. I can't seem to find many good alternatives to an X5, it does it all, comfort, sport, luxury at a reasonable price point.
Having driven both an M Sport with and without Air, I think the Air option will only make it feel floatier. Interested in your feedback after you drive both.
      11-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #27
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I'll add to this thread - a few points that I didn't see in skimming the replies - which have been great.

1) I had a 2013 X5 with dynamic stability control (DSC). It made the vehicle stay flat and was phenomenal in corners - was amazing. But... I don't live in a place where it was often used or drive in a way that put it to work. Firm/dynamic suspension is awesome in areas where you can drive like you are on a race track. I live outside of Boston in a very populated area. We can't get going fast enough to make any kind of sport suspension useful.
2) The roads here SUCK. They have frost heaves and potholes. Sport suspension and low profile tires are a liability. Choose your suspension based on what you need... be realistic
3) I tow shit. A lot. My 2013 X5 dragged ass when it was hooked up to a trailer and looked like a low rider in the rear sometimes... The air suspension on my 2019 self levels - hook up a trailer - stays level. It's nice. When I go to hook up or unhook from the tow ball - fun to have the vehicle raise or lower onto or off the hitch. The latter - just press the lower button in the rear lower hatch. Cool.
4) I've seen some good flooding this fall - traffic slows up before the deep water and people crawl through one at a time - I passed people pulled over after the flooded area with hydro lock. It was nice to flip my height up and wade through. Every bit makes a difference.
5) I've been on a few fields to park for sports/outdoor events. Muddy and deeply rutted. Extra height is a bonus.
Appreciate 4
Ilyam5891.50
M40i4me1037.00
Havy303.00
      11-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #28
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I'll add to this thread - a few points that I didn't see in skimming the replies - which have been great.

1) I had a 2013 X5 with dynamic stability control (DSC). It made the vehicle stay flat and was phenomenal in corners - was amazing. But... I don't live in a place where it was often used or drive in a way that put it to work. Firm/dynamic suspension is awesome in areas where you can drive like you are on a race track. I live outside of Boston in a very populated area. We can't get going fast enough to make any kind of sport suspension useful.
2) The roads here SUCK. They have frost heaves and potholes. Sport suspension and low profile tires are a liability. Choose your suspension based on what you need... be realistic
3) I tow shit. A lot. My 2013 X5 dragged ass when it was hooked up to a trailer and looked like a low rider in the rear sometimes... The air suspension on my 2019 self levels - hook up a trailer - stays level. It's nice. When I go to hook up or unhook from the tow ball - fun to have the vehicle raise or lower onto or off the hitch. The latter - just press the lower button in the rear lower hatch. Cool.
4) I've seen some good flooding this fall - traffic slows up before the deep water and people crawl through one at a time - I passed people pulled over after the flooded area with hydro lock. It was nice to flip my height up and wade through. Every bit makes a difference.
5) I've been on a few fields to park for sports/outdoor events. Muddy and deeply rutted. Extra height is a bonus.
Very good points. Especially not having to be embarrassed when towing was my main reason to go with air suspension. I've been stuck from deep snow piling up under the car while driving, lifting the tires off the surface before, hoping that plan B for that will work too for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #29
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Thanks for the info and sharing your experience.

I'm sold on the air suspension, but not sure about it's long term upkeep. I plan to keep my cars for at least 7-8 year or till 120K miles, whichever comes first. Therefore, I am not sure if the air suspension would be able to last that long. Also is it reliable and if not, is it worth the extra time/trips to the dealer to sort out issues.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #30
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info and sharing your experience.

I'm sold on the air suspension, but not sure about it's long term upkeep. I plan to keep my cars for at least 7-8 year or till 120K miles, whichever comes first. Therefore, I am not sure if the air suspension would be able to last that long. Also is it reliable and if not, is it worth the extra time/trips to the dealer to sort out issues.
I had air suspension on my 2011 X5. The air suspension never broke. Lots of other things did, but not that...
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 03:10 AM   #31
JoseSportM
JoseSportM
Rep
Drives: BMW G42

Hey Guys

I notice that if i drive in standard mode (i think it is Confort) and if i choose the level Sport, the car memorizes the level and it will stay in Sport Level until i change it manually. Doesn't matter if i turn off the car. This level will stay.
Is this normal?

I have in mind that if im driving in Sport and then turn off the car the car will change automatically to the normal high.
Am i missing something?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:39 AM   #32
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose260gti View Post
Hey Guys

I notice that if i drive in standard mode (i think it is Confort) and if i choose the level Sport, the car memorizes the level and it will stay in Sport Level until i change it manually. Doesn't matter if i turn off the car. This level will stay.
Is this normal?

I have in mind that if im driving in Sport and then turn off the car the car will change automatically to the normal high.
Am i missing something?
If you manually set the height lower when in comfort mode, it is normal behaviour for the car to remember that setting when you turn it off. It will restart in comfort as standard and the lower height will still be set. The car knows that you chose that level manually whilst in comfort mode and does not assume you want to change that.

Now when the height changes because the driving mode changes (e.g. sport mode), the car knows that it only lowered because of the driving mode - so when you start the car up and it defaults back to comfort mode, it will raise the suspension to the standard level associated with comfort mode as the drive mode has changed.

If you have Bimmercode and set the car to always start in sport mode, the suspension height will stay at the lower level when you restart the car.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #33
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
If you manually set the height lower when in comfort mode, it is normal behaviour for the car to remember that setting when you turn it off. It will restart in comfort as standard and the lower height will still be set. The car knows that you chose that level manually whilst in comfort mode and does not assume you want to change that.

Now when the height changes because the driving mode changes (e.g. sport mode), the car knows that it only lowered because of the driving mode - so when you start the car up and it defaults back to comfort mode, it will raise the suspension to the standard level associated with comfort mode as the drive mode has changed.

If you have Bimmercode and set the car to always start in sport mode, the suspension height will stay at the lower level when you restart the car.
I did not know that, I thought restarting the car will always reset your suspension. I'll give this a try as soon as I have an excuse to leave the house... which is not easy in times like this
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:10 AM   #34
PhillyDave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i

Adding air suspension?

Recently took delivery of a 2021 X5 M50i. While I do like the sporty feel of this vehicle (and comfort vs. the stiffness of the full M model) I am wishing I got the 2-axle air suspension mostly for the convenience of lowering when entering/exiting the vehicle (and loading/unloading). Anyone know the feasibility of adding the air suspension on at this point?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #35
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDave View Post
Recently took delivery of a 2021 X5 M50i. While I do like the sporty feel of this vehicle (and comfort vs. the stiffness of the full M model) I am wishing I got the 2-axle air suspension mostly for the convenience of lowering when entering/exiting the vehicle (and loading/unloading). Anyone know the feasibility of adding the air suspension on at this point?
Feasibility - for any factory retro maybe but would require extensive work and costly expense. See G05 air suspension diagram below. You're better off selling and reordering.

I'm not aware of aftermarket air suspension options but I'm sure forum modders can chime in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #36
Galion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 - 750iL

I’d give body parts to have air suspension on my X5 and ride it lowered in sports mode. I have standard DHP and it rides too high! Aftermarket springs are not my thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #37
PhillyDave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Feasibility - for any factory retro maybe but would require extensive work and costly expense. See G05 air suspension diagram below. You're better off selling and reordering.

I'm not aware of aftermarket air suspension options but I'm sure forum modders can chime in.
Thank you for those details!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #38
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Feasibility - for a factory retro maybe but would require extensive work and costly expense. See G05 air suspension diagram below. You're better off selling and reordering.

Thank you for those details!
Despite not having air suspension, congrats on taking ownership of a highly capable luxury performance SAV!

Apologies if I in any way came off abrasive suggesting selling and reordering your new vehicle. Many factory package retrofits are expensive. Alternatively, you may consider modding by lowering the suspension.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #39
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

I don't have air suspension on a 2021 40i with the 20" wheels and its possibly one of the smoothest cars I have ever driven. IMO the air suspension is only useful if you are going to be doing off-roading or need it for easier exit/entry into the car (or if you order 22s rims).

In the end it all comes down to preference and you need to drive both cars to find what meets your needs.

The X5 is an amazing, so whatever you end up picking I don't think you can go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:40 AM   #40
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

A non-air suspension X5 is incredibly smooth. As was my X3. Remarkable how it wasn't floaty like most SUVs. Then, I test drove a X5 with air suspension and extended Merino leather. Both instantly became must have options. The air suspension isn't as tossable, but I wouldn't describe it as floaty either. I'd say more like a speed skater whereas the regular suspension is a bit more like a track sprinter on the balls of their feet. Neither are as quick changing as a sports car/running back, but one feels quicker to change direction than the other.
Appreciate 1
Havy303.00
      12-04-2020, 01:56 AM   #41
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

As already said. In the end it is your needs.
  • We have good roads
  • I am not towing much
I'm very happy with the adaptive M suspension but probably will order the next with air-suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #42
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:

Do you mean Adaptive Drive? Adaptive Drive in the E70 was amazing, made the vehicle drive like a sedan, but on any rough roads it could be pretty brutal and could cause alignment issues. I used to have to press the Sport button to turn it off in the neighborhood so I didn't have to go to the dealer every 1000 miles for another 4 wheel alignment.

But the air suspension in the G05 is great, I probably won't go back to any larger SUV without it at this point unless something better comes down the line.

I do wish they had some sort of comfort entry/exit setting that automatically lowered it when you turn off the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #43
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I got air suspension for 2 reasons:

1) I can lower it.... and that looks badass. I can also install a set of droplinks in less than 90 minutes, without even removing the wheels, and that looks even more badass.

2) I live in a country with worse roads than war-torn Afghanistan.

Suspension handles fine. It's an SUV, not a Lotus. It's not ever going to be a Lotus, no matter what you do to it. Enjoy it for what it is: a large, comfy, luxury SUV.

Handling is fine.... no issues. On the Autobahn, It gets a "little" squirrely around 140mph. Up until then, it is as stable as a rock.

With DHP... "maybe" the squirreliness would be postponed to 150mph. How often do you really go that fast though? For the other 99.99999% of the time, it's more comfortable, quieter, smoother, etc.

Absolute no-brainer for me.

In response to many of the comments above:

Yes - Bimmercode will allow you to set the default to SPORT, or SPORT PLUS, or even INDIVIDUAL. The car will stay at the 2nd lowest level at all times if you want it to. I keep it in INDIVIDUAL, which for me, is sport suspension (level2), and COMFORT everything else. For less than $100, you can buy the app, and the necessary bluetooth OBD adapter, and alter all sorts of features without affecting the warrantee.

No - The car will not "remember" your last suspension setting. If you shut the car off, it will default to COMFORT when you restart (unless you code it otherwise as mentioned above)

No - It does not take "minutes" to lower the vehicle. I lower the car to loading mode (level 1) every single time I park, without fail, without exception, and to go from level 2 to level 1... it takes about 12 seconds. To go from COMFORT (level 3) to loading mode... it takes about 18 seconds.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 12-04-2020 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:35 AM   #44
Nooch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M Sport

Air suspension totally changes the experience. Air suspension is definitely more "luxury" and eats road imperfections for breakfast. If you want a "sporty ride" then I would maybe go with steel sprung.