BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #23
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Put on 10 pounds of muscle in a ~month?

Please go train some IFBB Pros, they would love your advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
PBmadness
Rep
Drives: Red Wagon

Crossfit and Zone diet.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #25
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
cut out the granola bars and alll your sweet shit. do lots of cardio to get your heart rate really going, this is when you will actually burn some fat.

drink tons of water!

i work with a couple body builders and they are constantly eating, like every 2 hrs. hardly any milk products, no cereals, granola bars shit like that. no processed foods. every morning they eat 12 eggs, im assuming for the proteins.

eat more home cooked food, less prepared foods like cereal and stuff.

i think Markoni has some pretty good advice, and it sounds pretty similar to what the guys i work with have told me.

goodluck

Last edited by Spoolin335; 02-12-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
grave,

I think a lot of the stuff you're saying apply to you only, and aren't really scalable to the masses.

1. You may love working out and eating healthy, but the majority of people don't. Agree

2. You CANNOT build muscle and burn fat at the same time. Also, you CANNOT turn fat into muscle (It doesn't work that way). You have to decide what your training goal is and work towards it. If you want to build muscle then lift heavy and eat a shitload (preferably healthy calories). If you want to lose weight then cut calories and focus on HIIT. There's no way to do both at the same time aside from illegal methods. It's physically impossible. Agree again - My use of turn fat into muscle, if i said that, is more of a euphemism . . . most diets where people are just cutting cals yield poor results. Once the person starts eating again, they generally gain the weight back because they have only managed to lose a number on a scale - they may have lost fat but they likely also lost muscle - thereby lowering their metabolism and when they start to eat again at a normal level, they're body just starts converting it into crap - rather than building muscle back. I think the better long term plan is to focus on eating well and a combination of hard cardio and weightlifting.

3. Playing ball for 2 hours WILL drastically raise cortisol. You're not doing yourself any favors with that. It's much better than sitting on your ass for 2 hours, but it's hardly a training program I would recommend for someone who's serious about losing fat. Disagree - i dont think running for 2 hours "DRASTICALLY" raises cortisol levels. My levels are likely a lot more affected by my work life than by the free feeling i get playing ball, sweating, etc. I also never said that this was the only part, or should be the only part of a training regimen. My cardio aspect is only part of my day. I warm up (in the a.m. before work) for about 10 minutes on a machine and follow with a weight workout. In the evening, i come back to play. With proper eating, I have had no issues. I am not big, nor do I care to be bit . . . I just enjoy being fit . . .

4. HIIT is the way to go for losing fat. You say 2 hours playing ball isn't bad. Look at marathon runners. They're hardly fat, but would you want a body like that? By the same token, look at sprinters. They're lean and yet still muscular. That's the difference between HIIT and playing ball for hours at a time. ever look at basketball players, soccer players, lacrosse players, tennis players, swimmers. . . ??? I would disagree with you - i think those sports are much more akin to HIIT than a marathon runner. Also, marathon runners are into being as tiny as possible so there is less weight banging on their legs, etc.

5. Honestly, your program is all over the place and typical of the bodybuilder gymrat program. If I asked you what your training goal is, could you give me an answer? Most people can't. Most people just say "to be in shape." I got news for, that's not a goal, and there's no way to measure how close or how far you are from it. Well, I dont know if being in shape is any different than being "fit" as I said above. But in no way am I a bodybuilder . . . . maybe a gymrat because i love running, working out, etc because of the "high" i get from it. In any event, if somebody's goal is to "be in shape", then "i got news for ya," thats a goal - by definition. Now, how they define it is their own subjective standard, and if it makes them happy, and they can be proud of it, then they reached their goal. more power to them. I'm not as worried about the physical looks of my body as I am confident of how my body functions inside. . . being "healthy".

If you said "my goal is to lose weight" I'd say cut out the long sessions playing ball, drop the bodybuilder routine, and focus on HIIT and diet. If you said "my goal is to gain muscle" I'd say drop the ball routine and focus on heavy weightlifting NOT to exhaustion, as well as eating a lot. You seem to want the best of all worlds and that's just not possible. I do - sorta - want the best of both worlds. . . don't most? do be lean with a healthy physique? Now, it didn't happen,nor could it over night . . . and it requires maintenance every day of my life. . . . but personally, if i can maintain where i'm at until i die, i'll be a happy boy

6. Most gymrats today are obsessed with protein. I got news for you, we get way more than we need. Telling Boosted that upping his protein will help him lose weight is misleading. What it will do is fuck him up in the long run. Eating so much protein is NOT healthy. The vast majority of your diet should come from FRUITS & VEGETABLES, not proteins. I don't think people are aware how much damage they do to themselves with their eating habits. Regardless of your fitness goals, whether it's fat loss or gaining mass, F&V needs to be the center of your diet. no question that f&v needs to be part of the diet. . . . but if all he is having is a few slices of turkey and a piece of salmon, he is not getting enough protein . . . what is it. . . the recommended levels are over 1 gram of protein per lb . . . . . which, if you are close to, it is extremely important to drink loads of water. . . . keep the kidneys functioning, etc. . . . I guess I dont follow your suggestion then, he has to get calories from somewhere, a fat, a carb or a protein. . . . my suggestion to him was to make sure he was getting a sufficient amount from a protein . . . and yes - once we get an excess amount of protein, we pee it right out. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshb View Post
i dont think theres a wrong way to exercise, so long as youre doing some sort of physical activity. even having a bunch of sex helps in this goal.

i always understood that reducing calorie intake and increasing calorie use is what helps to reduce weight. i dont think theres some secret way of accomplishing this.

use this link as a reference on how the body uses energy and the systems involved. this isnt the best source, but its about right when i quickly googled: http://www.thefitnessblueprint.com/m...hp?article=169

i personally try to burn 300-400 calories by just running and usually watch movies or listen to music to keep my mind off being tired. i see some fat loss from just this, but i lost a lot more weight when i went to ecuador and did nothing but snorkel, hike, and extreme moutain bike (down volcanos) for two weeks. this and the fact that i couldnt eat much in ecuador meant i lost around 7lbs. it makes sense then that low to med intensity activities like i did in ecuador lost more weight than doing nothing but sprinting. energy utilization is different for both activities.

i also try to do HIIT. just dont give up. i think that is the hardest part. i usually eat what i want, but i stay away from the obvious shit like sodas and donuts.

+1 - just don't give up . . . you'll be fine man. be patient - the results will come. Different things work for different people. . . . some don't work at all because the person just aint there.

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #27
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

Get a personal trainer. Nothing moves you to push yourself like a trainer. Once you have one, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's a solid investment. Fuck, any investment on your body is solid. If you wanted to get lipo or any cosmetic surgery - go for it. Banks can't take that shit away in this recession now can they!

But none of it matters if you don't change your lifestyle. I see dudes who loose 30lbs only to gain it back due to stressssssss.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #28
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

I just wanted to come in here and say I have 19% body fat.

Peace

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #29
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

Not meant towards anybody at all . . . but just came across this . . . thisiswhyyourefat.com

Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #30
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Grave,

I'm not saying that playing 2 hours of ball for YOU will drastically raise your cortisol levels, as you're probably well conditioned for it already. I'm talking about the typical out-of-shape office dweller who decides to get fit, ends up working out (playing ball, whatever) for hours at a time and only ends up raising cortisol levels and creating a huge appetite.

Two hours of moderate activity such as playing ball is nothing for a conditioned person.agree

I do however disagree with you that two servings of meat a day DON'T provide enough protein for the guy. It's more than enough. One piece of salmon a day is plenty. Add to that a healthy serving of nuts or beans and the guy is getting much more than his body needs. It's a myth that we need all this protein to survive. A healthy, vegetarian-centric diet has more than enough protein for everyone. he said 8 slices of turkey for lunch and then salmon for dinner. . . both are great . . . . .but i'm willing to bet that most (hopefully the op is an exception) doesn't maintain that meal plan consistently or for very long. The lunch aspect because its incredibly boring for many - although i personally eat chicken or turkey for lunch almost 5x a week because i love it, and the dinner aspect because not only can it get boring, but it can be expensive to be eating fish,etc every night . . . . even assuming hes got these two . . . salmon isn't as high as tuna, and a tuna steak will only have 50 - 75 grams of protein . . . add that to the 30 grams of protein from lunch and he's barely at 100 grams of protein. Add another 25 for misc. items that he has . . . and hes only at 125 - and thats probably a generous number. I think that's low for somebody who weights 185lbs, let alone 220 . . . now if he was having a steak instead for dinner. . . that would be another story.

I find it funny that all these gymheads are so obsessed over how much protein they're getting, but none of them care about the other stuff they're neglecting, like the fruits and vegetables. Can't ever forget about these. . . very important. . . i would say more the veggies than the fruits . . .

Think of how the old-timers lived. You think they had nice big servings of meat every meal? No. Meat was a treat. You'd be lucky to get it once a day, muchless once a meal. Grains and vegetables made up the brunt of their diet. I'd take an old-timers strength and physique over any of today's protein-heads.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #31
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

hey guys just wanted to point out that i cut the granola bars and yogurt out...

I figuring i was eating way too much carbs...so i try my best to eat carbs before 12 and burn them off

so now i only eat the cereal and milk and morning

snack- a fruit

lunch-same meals as before

break: salad with chicken breast with lemon

dinner-salmon with steamed veggies and spinach...

post workout- can of tuna 80 calories 1g of carb 1g of fat and 20 g of protein.

Just something new im trying....to give my body a shock..

Also i did a nice cardio workout yesterday full of HIIT

Also im taking in a gallon of water a day about 4 litres...

Also bought mens one a day multi vitamin taking that once a day also...

Thoughts opinions boys?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Markoni is pretty much spot on.

If you follow his layout, I'm sure you'll see a lot of good things.

Go by how your body feels. If you are following his diet and working out like he said and you feel GREAT, then it is working. If you feel like crap, then either you aren't following it completely, or it isn't going to work for you.

I am way out of shape, and I'll be doing this program to clean out a bit. I am a bit of a runner, I typically run 4-5 miles every other day and lift/bike the days in between. I haven't been running though for a while, so I need to slowly get back into it.

Just make sure you are hydrated. Drinking a gallon of water or more each day is common, especially when you are working out like that.

The only thing I disagree with him on is the "meat head protein" thing he said. Sure, the gym rats seem obsessed with protein intake, and for good reason. They are trying to build abnormal, freakish muscle mass. They lift hard and heavy, and with that you need a lot of protein to repair your muscles. A salad with some dressing after a hard weight session isn't repairing jack.

But since the OP wants to lose weight, and not gain it, none of that matters.
      02-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Grave,

What you're forgetting is that the OP isn't 220 of pure muscle. No offense to the OP, but judging from what he says, a large portion of that is fat. Fat doesn't require protein. Judging how much protein he needs by his weight is misleading. He actually needs a lot less than most think.
Yo markoni..I have a question buddy...

You think my change of diet is better then what i had before its less processed food and more homemade?

Isnt it better to eat more protein then carbs? wouldnt that be a healthier diet?

Sorry if they are dumb questions
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #34
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Templar,

I'm looking to drop some weight too. I tore up my ankle skydiving this past summer and have been fairly inactive, in addition to having a total crap diet. I offered a wager in the other thread. You down to compete for the next 2 months and see which one of us loses the most weight? I don't know if dropping weight is what you're after but a little friendly competition is a good way to spur one another on.

Boosted,

Same offer holds for you if you're up for it. Competition pushes us to be better and not slack off. BTW, you mention your meal plans in great detail. Do you eat the same stuff every day or is that just a sample of what you usually eat? Seems to me that eating the same stuff every day would be both boring and unhealthy.
i am totally down for a competition...

however its a sample i usually switch it up and stuff...

I try to give my buddy a shock

if you can answer the questions above i would really appreciate it...thx
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #35
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
hey guys just wanted to point out that i cut the granola bars and yogurt out...

I figuring i was eating way too much carbs...so i try my best to eat carbs before 12 and burn them off

so now i only eat the cereal and milk and morning

snack- a fruit

lunch-same meals as before

break: salad with chicken breast with lemon

dinner-salmon with steamed veggies and spinach...

post workout- can of tuna 80 calories 1g of carb 1g of fat and 20 g of protein.

Just something new im trying....to give my body a shock..

Also i did a nice cardio workout yesterday full of HIIT

Also im taking in a gallon of water a day about 4 litres...

Also bought mens one a day multi vitamin taking that once a day also...

Thoughts opinions boys?
Sounds good. Just keep it up.

Quote:
Grave,

What you're forgetting is that the OP isn't 220 of pure muscle. No offense to the OP, but judging from what he says, a large portion of that is fat. Fat doesn't require protein. Judging how much protein he needs by his weight is misleading. He actually needs a lot less than most think.
Thats why i said 185, let alone 220 . . . . but in any event, the general rule 1 gram (or 1 1/2 grams) of protein per pound is per pound of body weight . . . would still put him around 200 grams of protein a day. . . . which even 150 is difficult for somebody who isn't eating chicken 4x a day and a shake somewhere in between . . .

Quote:
Templar,

I'm looking to drop some weight too. I tore up my ankle skydiving this past summer and have been fairly inactive, in addition to having a total crap diet. I offered a wager in the other thread. You down to compete for the next 2 months and see which one of us loses the most weight? I don't know if dropping weight is what you're after but a little friendly competition is a good way to spur one another on.

Boosted,

Same offer holds for you if you're up for it. Competition pushes us to be better and not slack off. BTW, you mention your meal plans in great detail. Do you eat the same stuff every day or is that just a sample of what you usually eat? Seems to me that eating the same stuff every day would be both boring and unhealthy.

NOW THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC! Start a thread. . . post photos, etc. and be really updated. . . . "Biggest Loser - e90post edition"

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #36
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Great Idea!!!!!!! Lets Do It..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #37
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

For the regular joe who likes to maintain himself - they usually advise a 40/30/30 plan . . . .40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fats. . . .

I would probably lower some of the carbs if I were you . . . but if you are getting substantial cardio in - you don't have to worry as much about the carbs. . . you need them to sustain you throughout your workout anyways. Just make sure the carbs and fat are the good kinds.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #38
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Eh, weight loss competitions are OK, but I find the slow and steady route to be most effective. Sure, the weight comes on fast and nasty, which sucks, but losing weight too fast can be detrimental to your health, and you usually put it back on faster when you lose it fast like that.

With how out of shape I am right now I could definitely lose a lot of weight and pretty fast, but I am going to take a different approach.
      02-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Definitely. I've recommended before that you eat a small salad 5 times a day. That will go a long way to helping you overcome your hunger.

Vegetables would be at the top of my list (meaning I'd eat the most of them).

Next would be proteins. Keep in mind, this doesn't necessarily mean meat. There's protein in beans and other plant sources as well.

Lean dairy is also okay, however I avoid it because I find that it has an adverse affect on me and drains me of energy. You know, when dairy is pasteurized it kills the bacteria in it, but the dead bacteria is still in it. The body needs to work to get rid of that. That's the reason pasteurized dairy has a draining effect and increases mucus in many people. I'd recommend a cup of yogurt or kefir a day.

Finally, at the bottom of the list would be healthy grains. Whole grain bread, a whole grain cereal, maybe a spoonful of flax mixed in with your cereal. You shouldn't cut these things out of your diet completely. They're vital. You just need to go easy on them and avoid the refined flours and whatnot. Of course, this is assuming you're not sensitive to gluten, which many people are without knowing it.
OK so eat a yogurt a day? Dont you think im eating too much carbs though?

Also whats your opinions on cla's? and flaxid oil?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:42 PM   #40
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Up to you, Templar. Losing weight by artificial means (drugs, surgery, etc.) can be quite unhealthy. Losing weight by eating healthy and working your ass off isn't. Hard work and good eats never killed anybody. We're not doing it for money, and I doubt any of us would risk our health to win some stupid internet wager. What we're doing is having a friendly competition to push each other to be better. Nothing wrong or risky with that. I respect your decision, though.
hey markoni i really respect you man....you seem like a great motivation...

I totally agree a little friendly push wont hurt no one.

Now that i know my diet is pretty good....my workout is good...i guess all i need is time..

Im not even gunna bother checkingmy weight ...however today i work a nice flannel ive had sitting in my closet for atleast a year, it finally fits me after my stomach went down,and i also have thse true religions that fit me...

Its sucha good feeling!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #41
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

some of my favorite protein filled snacks --> cottage cheese, almonds, natural yogurt, edamame, one piece of bread with all natural peanut butter . . .

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #42
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravediggingaditch View Post
some of my favorite protein filled snacks --> cottage cheese, almonds, natural yogurt, edamame, one piece of bread with all natural peanut butter . . .
i like peanut butter to the natural kind with a wheat bread and a spoon of sugar free rasberries yuM

ALSO markoni so what you think of the body cleanser they sell at the store? cleans ur body out and makes you lose weight...do you know a good one?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #43
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Up to you, Templar. Losing weight by artificial means (drugs, surgery, etc.) can be quite unhealthy. Losing weight by eating healthy and working your ass off isn't. Hard work and good eats never killed anybody. We're not doing it for money, and I doubt any of us would risk our health to win some stupid internet wager. What we're doing is having a friendly competition to push each other to be better. Nothing wrong or risky with that. I respect your decision, though.
I didn't say I was losing weight through drugs or any other artificial means, I'm just taking it slow. Taking a step by step approach to weight loss is recommended over drastic loss in a month or so. The risk of putting the weight back on fast is very high, and the constant ups and downs in your body weight is unhealthy.

Basically, I will cut things out of my diet over time. Right now I have a lot of caffeine in my diet (in the form of sugary iced teas, sodas, etc). I need to cut that stuff down over time. If I do it too fast, there is a possibility of caffeine withdrawal. I have had it before. It gave me a pretty brutal headache and some other problems with my energy levels for a few days. Then it subsided. Asking a nutritionist I was recommended to take it slowly.

Basic things like that can make it a lot easier and a lot more healthy.
      02-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #44
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I didn't say I was losing weight through drugs or any other artificial means, I'm just taking it slow. Taking a step by step approach to weight loss is recommended over drastic loss in a month or so. The risk of putting the weight back on fast is very high, and the constant ups and downs in your body weight is unhealthy.

Basically, I will cut things out of my diet over time. Right now I have a lot of caffeine in my diet (in the form of sugary iced teas, sodas, etc). I need to cut that stuff down over time. If I do it too fast, there is a possibility of caffeine withdrawal. I have had it before. It gave me a pretty brutal headache and some other problems with my energy levels for a few days. Then it subsided. Asking a nutritionist I was recommended to take it slowly.

Basic things like that can make it a lot easier and a lot more healthy.
lolllll diet and soda? sugary iced teas?

ah ok
Appreciate 0