BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-27-2020, 01:17 AM   #1
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Software questions - hybrid

Hi!

1) Got the car a couple weeks ago, SW v11/2019.70 installed. Car going for service (see below), should I update to latest version (3/2020.xx)? What are the differences/fixes?

2) I have a few problems I believe to be SW glitches.
A) Sometimes the car does not start up in "electric individual" even though it is set to do this every time. I am aware of the "requirements" mentioned in the handbook, eg. not too cold, normal battery voltage on all batteries/ not low battery SoC etc. I believe all these requirements are within normal ranges. I am also able to immediately (1s) switch into electric mode after the car has started up in hybrid mode. Obviously whatever requirements weren't ok when the car started up turns out to be ok after all after a second or so... Sounds to me to be a glitch.
B) High pitch rattle sound in the headrest. I have the comfort seats. The part of the head rest which can be "bent around your head" rattles when running over uneven parts of the road (train tracks, smaller assault defects, etc). Anybody else with this problem?
C) other problems I should be aware of as the car is going in for service?

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Hi!

1) Got the car a couple weeks ago, SW v11/2019.70 installed. Car going for service (see below), should I update to latest version (3/2020.xx)? What are the differences/fixes?

2) I have a few problems I believe to be SW glitches.
A) Sometimes the car does not start up in "electric individual" even though it is set to do this every time. I am aware of the "requirements" mentioned in the handbook, eg. not too cold, normal battery voltage on all batteries/ not low battery SoC etc. I believe all these requirements are within normal ranges. I am also able to immediately (1s) switch into electric mode after the car has started up in hybrid mode. Obviously whatever requirements weren't ok when the car started up turns out to be ok after all after a second or so... Sounds to me to be a glitch.
B) High pitch rattle sound in the headrest. I have the comfort seats. The part of the head rest which can be "bent around your head" rattles when running over uneven parts of the road (train tracks, smaller assault defects, etc). Anybody else with this problem?
C) other problems I should be aware of as the car is going in for service?

Thank you!!
I can't speak to your specific issues but regarding (1) above, yes I would get it updated to the latest software by the dealer whenever I took the vehicle in. There are no release notes available to identify the changes but BMW regularly addresses quality issues and rolls out capability enhancements (including activating functions that should have worked and were advertised when you bought the vehicle, but did not)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I made a post on this subject with all the changes I could find after update

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25895749

The starting up in hybride happens to me to. Usually after a lot of driving electric without ICE. Maybe it happens for a reason. Don't know. Happend to me yesterday first time after upgrade to 03/2020. Today it started in electric individual again. No big deal but strange.

Some weeks after upgrade Idrive forgot my home adress after each stop. Was annoying but solved it yesterday after a push the volume 30 seconds reset. Today it remembered where I live.

I also had the issue that it didn't extend the steering wheel position after start. It first happens yesterday and that was the reason I did the reset. It solved the problem. I did several trips and it functions again.

My upgrade was done in March. So all this happens after upgrading. But everything looks to be solved with one reset. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #4
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

One other thing. Sometimes it resets max charging to 6A. I use the homecharger and the car is set at 10A. So my charging time almost doubled until I found out whe
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
One other thing. Sometimes it resets max charging to 6A. I use the homecharger and the car is set at 10A. So my charging time almost doubled until I found out whe
I have also noticed this, it resets to 6A from 16A. Do you think these "bugs" should be enough to allow for a software update (changing to hybrid even though electric is available, resetting charging to 6A, electric seats (profile) changing settings by itself)? I know BMW needs "a valid reason" for updating the software, and that it is common to complain about "CarPlay issues" if you want the car to be updated..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:19 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Quote:
I have also noticed this, it resets to 6A from 16A. Do you think these "bugs" should be enough to allow for a software update (changing to hybrid even though electric is available, resetting charging to 6A, electric seats (profile) changing settings by itself)? I know BMW needs "a valid reason" for updating the software, and that it is common to complain about "CarPlay issues" if you want the car to be updated..
I have these issues in 03/2020. So I don't know if updating to a later version will solve this.

For me these issues are not big enough to take my car to the dealer and liss it for a day or more.

If it has to go in anyway I would ask for an update. I think the mentioned issues should be enough for them to do the upgrade
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
kebiN
Private
Rep

Mine is asking to update to 2019.11.70, I will let it upgrade although I almost dont have issues.

My default mode is also electric individual, but rarely it starts in hybrid, I believe its a defence mechanism for something that might not be completly ok when it starts.

I also had the 6A bug, it took me a while to find out. The charging times where 20-24h! I was going mad!

Ocasionaly i have the camera auto bug, it solves when I put it back to auto mode

Car play works flawlessly!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I have fw 03.2020 and have some issues as well. Sometimes the car starts in hybrid while my default is electric individual.

Another issue is that during driving in electric individual it switches to hybrid (no I'm not pushing hard on the gas). The battery is +90%. Funny thing is that when it switches, edrive indicator is completely grey. It takes about a minute until I can switch back to electric individual.

Recent thing I had was that while my car started in electric individual, the engine started and the car drove on the petrol engine while being in electric individual mode.

I've made an appointment at the dealer for these issue's. Will see what they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I have fw 03.2020 and have some issues as well. Sometimes the car starts in hybrid while my default is electric individual.

Another issue is that during driving in electric individual it switches to hybrid (no I'm not pushing hard on the gas). The battery is +90%. Funny thing is that when it switches, edrive indicator is completely grey. It takes about a minute until I can switch back to electric individual.

Recent thing I had was that while my car started in electric individual, the engine started and the car drove on the petrol engine while being in electric individual mode.

I've made an appointment at the dealer for these issue's. Will see what they come up with.
I think that this switch to hybrid is somehow forced by the car like you mention.

Low 12v battery?
Trying to let the ICE turn every 500-1000 km?

After my update to 03/2020 in March it didn't happen until last Monday. I drove a total of 800 km all electric since then. Just 75 Km in hybride with the ICE on.

Would be nice to know what they will tell you and how they will solve it. I see a lot off posts of the 45e drivers and I think nearly everybody has this. So maybe it is some build in thing anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think that this switch to hybrid is somehow forced by the car like you mention.

Low 12v battery?

After my update to 03/2020 in March it didn't happen until last Monday. I drove a total of 800 km all electric since then. Just 75 Km in hybride with the ICE on.

Would be nice to know what they will tell you and how they will solve it. I see a lot off posts of the 45e drivers and I think nearly everybody has this. So maybe it is some build in thing anyway.
Quote:
Quote:

Low 12v battery?

Low 12v battery should result in a message I would say. Unfortunately, the switch has only happened when I was going for short travels like grocery's. That a 3 km drive in a residential area. So driving full electric is perfect for that. I hate it when the engine turns on for about 1 minute, such a waste. Appointment is in 2 weeks.

Such a shame that it's not possible for the dealer to read my car data from remote. Would be perfect if they make a request based on my vin and I have to approve it with a one-time security token displayed on idrive or something. This screams for a secure IT solution. Would save so much time/money if the dealer (after approval) would be able to read the car remotely.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      05-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Low 12v battery?

Quote:
Quote:

Low 12v battery?

Low 12v battery should result in a message I would say. Unfortunately, the switch has only happened when I was going for short travels like grocery's. That a 3 km drive in a residential area. So driving full electric is perfect for that. I hate it when the engine turns on for about 1 minute, such a waste. Appointment is in 2 weeks.

Such a shame that it's not possible for the dealer to read my car data from remote. Would be perfect if they make a request based on my vin and I have to approve it with a one-time security token displayed on idrive or something. This screams for a secure IT solution. Would save so much time/money if the dealer (after approval) would be able to read the car remotely.
That's the reason I am not taking it in. I would have to bring it one evening after work. Probably drive around with a 316d or a mini and pick it up after work and having to rush to make it in time.

Would be nice though to know if they found a solution and how to solve it.

You are correct with the signal you would get with the 12v. I was just thinking.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Low 12v battery?

Quote:
Quote:

Low 12v battery?

That's the reason I am not taking it in. I would have to bring it one evening after work. Probably drive around with a 316d or a mini and pick it up after work and having to rush to make it in time.

Would be nice though to know if they found a solution and how to solve it.

You are correct with the signal you would get with the 12v. I was just thinking.
Since I'm working from home it's just a short drive to the dealer. I have the car since feb so every opportunity to make a trip is nice. :-)

My car has about 2200 km driven in total. I had the switching issue about 8 times. From the 2200 km, about 850 have been on petrol, the rest on electric.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00