02-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x40i

Help! Connected app not working after 4 months

Hi all,
I bought the 2020 X5 in sept19. The BMW connected app worked intermittently for 2 weeks and then just stopped working.
BMW genius and the dealer genius tried multiple times but no success.
IT ticket was issued in oct 2019 with fake promises to fix it in a week and then 2 weeks and the 4 weeks. Now they are saying there is no estimated time to fix it since it's wide spread problem.
Mind you I have no features working at all in the App. Once a month it gets updated I latest gas and milage.
Customer support team are acting like as*****s and getting annoyed every time I call to request escalation on issue. They are not letting me talk to supervisor either.
Any help to reach IT directly is much appreciated. I am so disappointed and speechless with their way of handling the situation!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I would start with the links below. Your state's consumer protection office should help you as well. It sounds like they're being of no use at BMW, so you'll have to light a fire under their ass.

https://www.bbb.org

https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #3
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

I think it's a pretty widespread problem. At least, I know it's the same problem for me. I have a 2015, X5 and by-and-large, BMW Connected had worked pretty well since it came out, until around late December, '19 or early January, '20. Since then, it doesn't connect, I can't locate the vehicle, can't even send an address to the Nav, etc.

If you go look at recent ratings/feedback within the Apple App Store, you'll see almost all comments over the past couple of months being 1-star and everyone complaining about the same issues.

I too have opened a ticket with the BMW Connected folks. They gave me a ticket # and told me I'd get a callback within 10-15 days. That was 3 weeks ago yesterday, I've heard nothing.

I think my next step is to start a complaint via BMWNA Customer Relations. I wonder if they really understand how horrible of a job the company they've outsourced their mobile App to is doing...

Last edited by kkratochvil; 02-06-2020 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Mis-spelling.
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

kkratochvil I would file a complaint with BMWNA as a logical step, but if you want a response and from someone who will address it...go BBB. I mentioned above that I just did this with another company for an errant charge and no CS support. Within a day of filing, someone from their customer advocate team called. It's a shame that consumers have to go about this route, but you paid a pretty penny for the car and services. It's not a knock on the company, it's just a different approach.

I get incredible service at the dealership, but there's a point where they can't really help. Once it get's to corporate BMW, it's hit or miss you get a good rep. Even if you get a good rep, they can't really do much proactively other than "escalating it".
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #5
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

Few steps to follow

1. Sign-out from Connected app on your phone. Go to Profile in the menu and click on the sign out.
2. Uninstall Connected app from your phone. If possible, clear cashe in the program before.
3. Restart your phone.
4. Press power button on your IDrive unit, and hold it for at least 1 min. Its going to be black screen , don't worry, its just full system restart.
5. If needed shut the car engine, and start again.
6. In the menu, go to APP on the left side, and click on "option" next to the shifter. Menu "update software" will popup on the screen. Choose update.
7. Shut the car again, go outside, appox. 100 feet away, and wait 10 min.
8. Meanwhile, install Connected app back to your phone, Sign in, go through all screens.
9. See if you got exact location of your car. If yes, give 20-30 min, and you supposed to have all service back.

Enjoy!!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      02-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemagrp View Post
1. Sign-out from Connected app on your phone. Go to Profile in the menu and click on the sign out.
2. Uninstall Connected app from your phone. If possible, clear cashe in the program before.
3. Restart your phone.
4. Press power button on your IDrive unit, and hold it for at least 1 min. Its going to be black screen , don't worry, its just full system restart.
6. In the menu, go to APP on the left side, and click on "option" next to the shifter. Menu "update software" will popup on the screen. Choose update.
8. Meanwhile, install Connected app back to your phone, Sign in, go through all screens.
9. See if you got exact location of your car. If yes, give 20-30 min, and you supposed to have all service back.

Enjoy!!
While I'm confident I've done everything in your list at some point in the last month while trying to resolve, I probably haven't done it in exactly that order, and can certainly give it a try...

I don't mean to sound insulting to you (although I would be trying to insult BMW...), but do I also need to pat my head 3 times while also drinking a glass of water??
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
bemagrp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 Alpina XB7/21 Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
While I'm confident I've done everything in your list at some point in the last month while trying to resolve, I probably haven't done it in exactly that order, and can certainly give it a try...

I don't mean to sound insulting to you (although I would be trying to insult BMW...), but do I also need to pat my head 3 times while also drinking a glass of water??
I spent a month calling BMW back and forth, uninstalling, installing, pressing, spit 3 times over left shoulder, then right.
Finally, with one BMW rep over the phone I did in exact order, and everything working since.
o, forgot to mentioned, between steps, take drum of scotch.....
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-07-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I spent a month calling BMW back and forth, uninstalling, installing, pressing, spit 3 times over left shoulder, then right.
Finally, with one BMW rep over the phone I did in exact order, and everything working since.
o, forgot to mentioned, between steps, take drum of scotch.....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
Hi all,
I bought the 2020 X5 in sept19. The BMW connected app worked intermittently for 2 weeks and then just stopped working.
IT ticket was issued in oct 2019 with fake promises to fix it in a week and then 2 weeks and the 4 weeks. Now they are saying there is no estimated time to fix it since it's wide spread problem.
Mind you I have no features working at all in the App. Once a month it gets updated I latest gas and milage.
Customer support team are acting like as*****s and getting annoyed every time I call to request escalation on issue. They are not letting me talk to supervisor either.
Any help to reach IT directly is much appreciated. I am so disappointed and speechless with their way of handling the situation!
You can absolutely do the steps mentioned above, but unless you activate all the services, it's not going to work.
1. Go to CAR on iDrive
2. Select Settings
3. Select General Settings
4. Scroll all the way down, towards the bottom you will see "Privacy" settings
5. Select and Activate all Services. ( If they are already active, then deactivate them and activate them again)
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
LexxM31697.50
kkpat44.00
      02-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
M5NSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I have the same frustrating problem with our 2020 X5. Hasn’t worked at all for a month now. I bought a used 2019 X2 for my son in November and put it on the CD app first. Two weeks later got the 2020 X5. Added it and it would update gas and mileage but no remote functions. The X2 works perfectly with idrive6 on CD. Genius was like tits on a bull-useless. I called CD to start a ticket. The lady somehow took my vehicle off the app. I put it back on and voila!! Everything worked!! For 5 fucking minutes!! I’ve tried doing all the stuff mentioned in this post to no avail. Absolutely love the vehicle but want the app to work. For Christ sakes I have an app that controls my Sub Zero frig from anywhere in the world!! Apparently they are getting tons of calls for this problem according to the CD lady. I think I need the dealer to resend my ESA and start over. The app works at least for one of our vehicles......
Appreciate 1
kkpat44.00
      02-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #11
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarlasaM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpat View Post
Hi all,
You can absolutely do the steps mentioned above, but unless you activate all the services, it's not going to work.
1. Go to CAR on iDrive
2. Select Settings
3. Select General Settings
4. Scroll all the way down, towards the bottom you will see "Privacy" settings
5. Select and Activate all Services. ( If they are already active, then deactivate them and activate them again)
Hope this helps.
Tried this lot of times. Didn't work!! Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #12
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5NSX View Post
I have the same frustrating problem with our 2020 X5. Hasn't worked at all for a month now. I bought a used 2019 X2 for my son in November and put it on the CD app first. Two weeks later got the 2020 X5. Added it and it would update gas and mileage but no remote functions. The X2 works perfectly with idrive6 on CD. Genius was like tits on a bull-useless. I called CD to start a ticket. The lady somehow took my vehicle off the app. I put it back on and voila!! Everything worked!! For 5 fucking minutes!! I've tried doing all the stuff mentioned in this post to no avail. Absolutely love the vehicle but want the app to work. For Christ sakes I have an app that controls my Sub Zero frig from anywhere in the world!! Apparently they are getting tons of calls for this problem according to the CD lady. I think I need the dealer to resend my ESA and start over. The app works at least for one of our vehicles......
Bingo! Did exact same thing! But no Bueno for me. I even deleted the car from app. Sent my ownership documents to BMW directly. Had them resubmit ESA. No use! Randomly one time in a month it updates the miles and gas on the app but that's it!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:10 PM   #13
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
3. Restart your phone.

Enjoy!!
I tried the exact steps multiple times before posting and after your suggestions tried again 3 times like you described. No success for me! Sadness continues! 😞
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #14
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I would start with the links below. Your state's consumer protection office should help you as well. It sounds like they're being of no use at BMW, so you'll have to light a fire under their ass.

BBB complaint filed. Multiple complained filed to BMWNA customer relations. No replies yet! It's like they know it's known issue and so ashamed of them self that they don't even want to respond. And the car doesn't fall under lemon law to initiate return. Love my X5! But so annoyed with this app situation!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 07:38 PM   #15
Fuzzy Master
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Need to change the title of this app to...

"Connected Crap"

I'm also experiencing issues with the app since I picked up the car when I was assured that I just need to give it a few days. All the so-called solutions and recommendations have NOT worked for me either. I also know that it is not a car connectivity issue since my display key works perfectly.

I have since deleted the crap from my phone - big disappointment BMW !
07/2019.55 (since birth Oct.1,2019)-> 11/2019.70 (OTA Aug.11,2020)-> 11/2020.36 (Dealer Nov.25,2020)-> 03/2021.50 (OTA Jun.15,2021)-> 07/2021.85 (OTA Mar.1,2022)-> 07/2022.58 (OTA Dec.9,2022)-> 11/2022.60 (OTA Mar.2,2023)-> 03/2023.50 (OTA May.31,2023)-> 07/2023.35 (Dealer Aug.21,2023)-> 11/2023.50 (OTA Feb.9,2024)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #16
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Master View Post

"Connected Crap"

I'm also experiencing issues with the app since I picked up the car when I was assured that I just need to give it a few days. All the so-called solutions and recommendations have NOT worked for me either. I also know that it is not a car connectivity issue since my display key works perfectly.

I think that all your woes are all due to inexperience in the BMW Service departments. I was having problems with my connected drive signing off and on and I fixed it myself using the newest ISTA+ by following the vehicle managment screens in ISTA. It updated the connected drive services in the HU_MGU and also another telecommunications ECU. and now it works flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #17
Andruhan
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Try this

Try this: Log in to your connected drive account online, deactivate your mobile network and then activate it back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
More Voodoo: I can't recall where it was exactly in the forum, but connecting the phone to the car's Bluetooth, then sequentially rebooting iDrive twice worked for me when nothing else did. Start the car, connect your phone, reboot. Wait until everything restarts, then immediately reboot again, wait for everything to restart, and within about 15 minutes the app reconnected and worked normally, after being 3 months down. And I tried all of the above, BTW.

Found it:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25572342

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-12-2020 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #19
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
More Voodoo: I can't recall where it was exactly in the forum, but connecting the phone to the car's Bluetooth, then sequentially rebooting iDrive twice worked for me when nothing else did. Start the car, connect your phone, reboot. Wait until everything restarts, then immediately reboot again, wait for everything to restart, and within about 15 minutes the app reconnected and worked normally, after being 3 months down. And I tried all of the above, BTW.

Found it:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25572342
Thank you. I tried it. Didn't work. But it made the system run noticeably faster. Or may be it's just Voodoo effect!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #20
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andruhan View Post
Try this: Log in to your connected drive account online, deactivate your mobile network and then activate it back.
Thank you. Out of all the suggestions here yours really worked. But just for 3 hours.

This is how I did.
Deleted the app from phone and restarted the phone.
Turned off the mobile network from the website over night.
Reset the vehicle data and rebooted it twice back to back.
Restarted the mobile network next morning.
Did the initial walk in through the start up settings.
Reinstalled the app without adding the profile in the car.

To my surprise it worked like charm for 3 full hours while I was driving to SF. the location and the gas mileage all updated almost instantly every time I opened the app. But then I gave my first command to remote lock the door and it stopped working altogether.

Tried redoing the whole process again but never worked after that. 😞
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandomedic122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Master View Post

"Connected Crap"

I think that all your woes are all due to inexperience in the BMW Service departments. I was having problems with my connected drive signing off and on and I fixed it myself using the newest ISTA+ by following the vehicle managment screens in ISTA. It updated the connected drive services in the HU_MGU and also another telecommunications ECU. and now it works flawlessly.
Can you please walk me through it. It seems this is the only thing I havent tried and can't find the document to follow it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #22
kkpat
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post

So I finally got a response from CS after filling the BBB report. But not solution yet. Just got a email saying they want to know what problems I have. May be every one should file a complaint on BBB.
Appreciate 1