BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

BMW - figure it out

BMW stop being a bunch of pussies. If you had any balls you would actually use what you built. To date, no OTA updates, a store where you cannot buy anything (Example: Anyone trying to get CarPlay renewed right now cannot), crappy software - with a long list of bugs that seem to be added at the same rate they are addressed, features that should have been available at launch and are quietly added or improved later, but we have to figure that out for ourselves...no release notes on anything. It's a shit show.

Owning an X5 could be a WAY better experience on so many fronts. Give current owners the ability to:
- Upgrade their Diving Assistant - especially early owners that did not get "Plus"
- Add any number of other features that owners have been left to use software coding to exploit.
- Buy features that are purely software driven - later - like remote start.
- Maybe enable software-based features that should have been there in the first place. Free, so the X5 can do baseline shit that many other vehicles can do. Remote start heated seats on, heated steering wheel on. etc.
- Know what you fix with each software release. So we can decide if we need to go through the headache of going to the dealer to get the update - because that's the only way we can get updates...
- Etc...

Nah. Don't surprise or delight customers. Be overly conservative. Hold back. Disappoint. Recipe for success.

-

Last edited by lumpydog; 11-24-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Thumbs27.50
      11-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I am with you, I like the car but after 4 X's I am certainly looking at other options next time. I am willing to put up with some shit being an early adopter, but a year in and they have not hardly addressed a thing, what a joke their software efforts are.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I am on my third X (F25, F15 and currently have a G01) and I will not be getting a G05, even though that was my original plan. I have been checking out the G05 forums regularly and am just astonished how crappy the roll out and current customer support has been on it, and the issues popping up are just awful. I know new models have their fair share of issues, but all of my X series have been first model year (F25 was first year of LCI) and have had minimal issues. If I get another BMW, it will be either a 5 or 7 Series, one that is still built in Germany.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

This is probably the last BMW for me. 80k for a vehicle with this many problems is a joke. Call them little or isolated, never had these issues with a car half the price. If I pay for something, be it a feature or an entire car...it better work day one. If it doesn’t, it better be fixed in a reasonable period. Not a year later. Dealerships are clueless, Or don’t return calls since they are just as much out of the loop. I’m sure BMW will be fine with the few of us who are having issues, but between reliability and bigger and bigger grills. I’ll have to say bye bye.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Oh and let me add this...telling me to press and hold the power button for 30 seconds is the new take the battery out and put it back in trick.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #6
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I thought the OTA updates were supposed to be functional in the 2020's??
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Not yet from what I gather. The iOS app updated today, which may be a good sign. I have stop climatization listed under disabled features. Can’t find the option to enable under car settings. Maybe it’s a hope?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

This is crazy. Telsa has had OTA updates for years...............
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I thought the OTA updates were supposed to be functional in the 2020's??
It was supposed to be a phased rollout completing in Q3 2019 and they have not even started as far as I can tell
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #10
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

I know it’s a long shot, but anyone try reporting BMW to the FTC (or country equivalent), BBB, or even consider a class action suit? I know someone on the iOS App Store makes mention to a class action suit referencing the ConnectedDrive app. I doubt the federal gov gives 2 craps about BMW drivers. It is getting ridiculous with the wait for RSU, as this was and still is advertised on their site.

I think this is different than CarPlay, since it has worked for about 90% of the time. Whereas the RSU have been missing. We paid for them, just like the digital key, which has been another story. This is just a bit disappointing since they were a main selling point, and a year later...nothing. Then again, I am sure BMW didn’t hire chimpanzees as lawyers like they did their software team.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I am with you, I like the car but after 4 X's I am certainly looking at other options next time. I am willing to put up with some shit being an early adopter, but a year in and they have not hardly addressed a thing, what a joke their software efforts are.
Let me know when you find another manufacturer, other than Tesla, that handles software releases as a product.
      11-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I am on my third X (F25, F15 and currently have a G01) and I will not be getting a G05, even though that was my original plan. I have been checking out the G05 forums regularly and am just astonished how crappy the roll out and current customer support has been on it, and the issues popping up are just awful. I know new models have their fair share of issues, but all of my X series have been first model year (F25 was first year of LCI) and have had minimal issues. If I get another BMW, it will be either a 5 or 7 Series, one that is still built in Germany.
while there are some horror stories it's not all bad. I've been through the wringer but now my car is just fine so for what it's worth things have improved
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11328.50
      11-27-2019, 05:49 AM   #13
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Let me know when you find another manufacturer, other than Tesla, that handles software releases as a product.
Which is the point... BMW has it all setup and can match/beat Tesla at their game but they are too inept or too chicken shit to execute.

- Send OTA updates
- Address software issues quickly/easily (sadly - a big need)
- Sell add-ons in your store
- Change the game
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
while there are some horror stories it's not all bad. I've been through the wringer but now my car is just fine so for what it's worth things have improved
I am glad your issues are sorted. Honestly it was your story that pushed it over the edge of avoiding the G05 (others already had me questioning). I may still consider the 45e, but it has to drive as well as the Cayenne E Hybrid I test drove for me to even consider it, not sure if it will as BMW NA seems to think DHP should only be for the V8 models.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am glad your issues are sorted. Honestly it was your story that pushed it over the edge of avoiding the G05 (others already had me questioning). I may still consider the 45e, but it has to drive as well as the Cayenne E Hybrid I test drove for me to even consider it, not sure if it will as BMW NA seems to think DHP should only be for the V8 models.
DHP is available on the 40i or it will be this year (December I think). Thankfully nothing has gone wrong since my last repair, it's been solid and I push my X5 pretty hard daily. I'm taking it in for service next Friday. If I remember correctly you're in SA so I'd you'd like to see it once they finish the service.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DHP is available on the 40i or it will be this year (December I think). Thankfully nothing has gone wrong since my last repair, it's been solid and I push my X5 pretty hard daily. I'm taking it in for service next Friday. If I remember correctly you're in SA so I'd you'd like to see it once they finish the service.
I am actually up in Austin, but I appreciate the offer. I did see the X6 40i has DHP available, but I just cannot handle the looks of the coupe.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #17
Andyx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Not yet from what I gather. The iOS app updated today, which may be a good sign. I have stop climatization listed under disabled features. Can’t find the option to enable under car settings. Maybe it’s a hope?
I have the same as well re stop climatization by remote app. However I don’t think that it was possible before, only start climatization
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #18
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am actually up in Austin, but I appreciate the offer. I did see the X6 40i has DHP available, but I just cannot handle the looks of the coupe.
I forgot which one yes the X6 is very... polarizing... the regular X5 is getting it, check the new revision notes posted in one of these stickied OP's here.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyx5 View Post
I have the same as well re stop climatization by remote app. However I don’t think that it was possible before, only start climatization
I can’t find any option to enable it in my vehicle settings. I am hoping this means a decent update is coming. I have no idea why they don’t have a stop function if they allow a start. Just from a safety standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #20
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
How about Nio? released their first two cars last year with no ADAS. Added ADAS months later through OTA update. Added Level 2 semi autonomy months after that through OTA update, then couple months later now added BMW's equivalent of 'driver assisted view' through OTA update.

How are startups with absolutely nothing are able to do this from the jump like its nothing and behemoths can't? Like WTH?

Incompetence and complacency at the upper echelon level!

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
Quote:
How about Nio? released their first two cars last year with no ADAS. Added ADAS months later through OTA update. Added Level 2 semi autonomy months after that through OTA update, then couple months later now added BMW's equivalent of 'driver assisted view' through OTA update.

How are startups with absolutely nothing are able to do this from the jump like its nothing and behemoths can't? Like WTH?

Is Nio selling in the heavy regulatory/litigious US market?
      11-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #22
jumpingpint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post

What is Nio? How many cars have they sold?

Not the same level.
Appreciate 0