BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Tint on Panoramic Sky Lounge Moonroof?

I’m expecting to take delivery of an M50i at the end of March and one of the first things I do with a new vehicle is window tint. I’m planning to have UV Protection film applied to at least the front sides, windshield, and moonroof.

Question: Are there any issues with tinting the Panoramic Sky Lounge moonroof? In other words, does UV protection tint affect the 'LED' lighting aesthetic?

Thanks…
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
jpichardo91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx / 2020 BMW x5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIn2 View Post
I’m expecting to take delivery of an M50i at the end of March and one of the first things I do with a new vehicle is window tint. I’m planning to have UV Protection film applied to at least the front sides, windshield, and moonroof.

Question: Are there any issues with tinting the Panoramic Sky Lounge moonroof? In other words, does UV protection tint affect the 'LED' lighting aesthetic?

Thanks…
Since the tints are done on the inside, it probably will.
There are LED bulbs on the side of the panoramic sunroof that emit the light outwards toward the center to illuminate the "stars" in the middle.

A tint will probably darken this even though you can control the brightness thru the iDrive of the LED on the panoramic sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
It is possible to tint it from the outside? I like the idea, and if you tint it from the outside, the light will also be brighter.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:

Thanks…
Did you ever get your Sky Lounge roof tinted? I've got an appointment for tint next week and am debating if I should get the sky lounge sunroof tinted and how dark to go with the tint.

Can you share your results and any pictures? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Quote:

Thanks…
Did you ever get your Sky Lounge roof tinted? I've got an appointment for tint next week and am debating if I should get the sky lounge sunroof tinted and how dark to go with the tint.

highly recommend ceramic tint on all windows.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroGeek View Post
I am getting ceramic tint on all windows including the windshield.

I'm debating it for the sunroof as some mentioned it may block out the sky lounge LED's.

I want to be able to keep the shade open during the day which right now is not possible because it's too bright and too hot. Was thinking of doing a 5% ceramic tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

Quote:
Quote:
I am getting ceramic tint on all windows including the windshield.

I'm debating it for the sunroof as some mentioned it may block out the sky lounge LED's.

I want to be able to keep the shade open during the day which right now is not possible because it's too bright and too hot. Was thinking of doing a 5% ceramic tint.
I had my ceramic tint done, the installer forgot the sunroof.. when I got into the car on a hot sunny day the heat from the driver window wasn't much at all but even with the sunshade closed on the sunroof I could feel the heat beaming down on me.. I gave it back so he could do the sunroof . it made a big difference
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had my ceramic tint done, the installer forgot the sunroof.. when I got into the car on a hot sunny day the heat from the driver window wasn't much at all but even with the sunshade closed on the sunroof I could feel the heat beaming down on me.. I gave it back so he could do the sunroof . it made a big difference
Do you have the sky lounge LED's in the sunroof? If so, did it affect the lighting once you put tint on?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, No, I chickened out and decided not to tint the moon roof. Ended up doing just my front windshield and front side roll-ups.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #10
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I installed ceramic tint from a very reputable installer in the area. I did all of the windows on my X5M for the heat rejection including the windshield. 25% front doors, 50% all around back and 80% on the windshield.

I went back recently to have him do the pano roof and he advised against it. He said he's seen them crack due to the excessive heat from the tint retaining on the glass. He said most don't crack but he's seen a few that has. I read about this in other forums but didn't expect the tint guy say the same thing. I decided not to take the risk since replacing the panoroof must be a huge job and very expensive.

Last edited by Alan l.; 07-08-2020 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I installed ceramic tint from a very reputable installer in the area. I did all of the windows on my X5M for the heat rejection including the windshield. 25% front doors, 50% all around back and 80% on the windshield.

I went back recently to have him do the pano roof and he advised against it. He said he's seen them crack due to the excessive heat from the tint retaining on the glass. He said most don't crack but he's seen a few that has. I read about this in other forums but didn't expect the tint guy say the same thing. I decided not to take the risk since replacing the panoroof must be a huge job and very expensive.
I've had pano roofs tinted on multiple vehicles and know plenty of others who have done it as well without issues. The tint shop I go to say they tint many pano roofs (especially on Tesla's where the entire roof is glass).

I do have glass coverage on my insurance policy with $75 deductible and factory glass coverage, so if it does crack, I'm only out $75.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ good to know. I honestly didn't even think about the fact that i have glass coverage too.

Alan
      07-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Chances are your insurance will not pay for the replacement glass if it broke because of something you did to it. If the pano roof breaks and it's b/c you applied a film to you your insurance company is going to tell you to go kick rocks.
Appreciate 1
ChillyB19.50
      07-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #14
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Chances are your insurance will not pay for the replacement glass if it broke because of something you did to it. If the pano roof breaks and it's b/c you applied a film to you your insurance company is going to tell you to go kick rocks.
Actually the glass coverage doesn't care how the glass broke. Got that confirmed from agent. They will even cover the cost to have it re-tinted after the glass is replaced.

It's not part of the standard comprehensive policy, it's an extra add on that has it's own premium (about $10/yr).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #15
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually the glass coverage doesn't care how the glass broke. Got that confirmed from agent. They will even cover the cost to have it re-tinted after the glass is replaced.
Sounds like you have a good insurance policy then!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #16
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

It's not part of the standard comprehensive policy, it's an extra add on that has it's own premium (about $10/yr).
Here in GA, most insurance companies don't offer glass coverage (not required by law). So any glass claim I make comes from the comprehensive side. In which case I have to pay the difference b/w what safe lite quoted the insurance company and OEM. Changing the windshield on my Mercedes still cost me $1,500 out of pocket b/c I insisted on OEM which was twice the cost of the aftermarket windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #17
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Here in GA, most insurance companies don't offer glass coverage (not required by law). So any glass claim I make comes from the comprehensive side. In which case I have to pay the difference b/w what safe lite quoted the insurance company and OEM. Changing the windshield on my Mercedes still cost me $1,500 out of pocket b/c I insisted on OEM which was twice the cost of the aftermarket windshield.
I'm in CA and some insurance companies offer an additional item for glass. Basic collision/comprehensive coverage already includes glass but the additional line item reduces deductible for glass to $75 and will cover it regardless of how the glass broke.
There is also another item I have on my policy that will use OEM parts for all repairs. It adds about $25/yr to the premiums.

With modern cars and all the safety features/sensors behind the windshield, it's very expensive to replace.
Had to get one replaced recently and it was nearly $2k. We only had to pay our $75 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #18
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I've had pano roofs tinted on multiple vehicles and know plenty of others who have done it as well without issues. The tint shop I go to say they tint many pano roofs (especially on Tesla's where the entire roof is glass).
The tint shop guy is right, most wont have a problem, but its a gamble. The chances of it cracking are higher when tinted, here's why... on windshields and windows heat can escape on the edges of the glass, its not trapped. This is true with the Tesla or any vehicle that has an all glass roof, heat can escape from the sides. A pano roof (like on the E70) and most sunroofs are enclosed in a metal casing, therefore heat cant escape on the sides. When tinted, heat will build between the glass and tint and since it cant escape, it may crack. This is the reason i didn't tint my pano roof. This was ture on the E70. Im not sure about the G05. I had a loaner and i thought the roof opened to the outside instead of in between the headliner and the roof. If this is the case and the MOVING portion isint enclosed in metal, it should be ok to tint.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #19
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

a little off topic but does anyone know what's the Rear window tint percentage that comes from factory?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #20
rodhard
Registered
Rep
Drives: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

I had a 2014 228i with M features including tires with different sizes front vs rear, and of course they were run flat.
But I never, ever used the sliding glass in the roof.
I simply do not understand why anyone wants this feature.
Also, I currently live 3 floors up from a very busy parking lot, and it is so boring to see nothing but white, gray, or black SUVs.
BMWs have lost their way with the ugly front ends.
The Ultimate Driving Machine is dead and buried with everything else of my youth decades ago.
Sad, but that is my world in 2023.
Appreciate 0