BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Anyone come from a 2017+ Audi Q7

Hey all, Im a long time BMW enthusiast and have owned a 2017 q7 prestige for my wife for the last 6 months. Its on ok car, but missing the sharp handling and styling of the G05. Thinking of trading in for one.

Anyone make a similar move? Any notable comparison thoughts between the two vehicles or things they miss?

The Q7 is super smooth over bumps and very quiet on the road, two things I like.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Coming from a pair of 2018 Prestige Q7s, I'll add part of a post I contributed to an Audi forum in relation to the soon-expiring Google Earth Virtual Cockpit overlay for MY18 and earlier Audis:

Although no longer an Audi owner, to clarify for me as well, in addition to the GE shenanigans by VAG, the switch to almost exclusively touch screens for driving control was a deal-breaker. Add to that the abysmal throttle lag, the constant and random glitches in the software, and the laissez-faire attitude in general from Audi about fixing anything, it was time to switch. And having switched, as a former Q7 owner who actually liked driving the car and thought it was great in many ways, I can honestly now say that the X5 is orders of magnitude ahead of the technology and driving experience from the 2018 Q7. I qualify it because that's my personal experience, but I expect it's orders of magnitude ahead of the 2019/2020 as well. The X5 drives better, is more responsive, quieter (acoustic glass was actually available in US models), the voice recognition is as good as "Alexa," if you're an Amazon subscriber, the HUD and driver assistance features are beyond anything I saw in Audi, and the Nav features are immediate in their response and dead on accurate. It sometimes took five minutes out of my driveway for navigation to even be available in the Audi, and more than 50 percent of the time it couldn't understand voice requests, or find a location, or get me there by the best route. Trying not to sound like a BMW fanboy on an Audi site, and the new X5s have certainly had their share of first-year warts, but there's really no comparison, for me, in daily driving these cars. I wish everyone happiness and success in whatever their choice of transport might be, but I have no regrets whatsoever to have swapped badges. Peace, out.

And to clarify, the Q7 was a nice car - very well finished, and a great highway cruiser. However, all of the above was true, and much of it still is for MY21 models. Coupled with the deletion of features available on EU models, but not in the US - not regulatory, but simply $$ savings for Audi, from anything as simple as no Autohold button to a hobbled full Parking Assist. The X5 is much more responsive driving, has better (i.e., more functional) technology, and is a more attractive design - to me. The Q7 is slightly roomier, and comes standard with a 3rd row seat, if that matters. I wouldn't be unhappy driving one, but I really don't miss anything from my Q7. Things I still don't like in Audi, and really part of their DNA for MY21: 1) Throttle lag. Undefined as to cause, discussed in many Audi forums. but probably attributable to the DC transmission. 2) Almost exclusive touch screen interface. This is a "no" for me, no other considerations necessary. Others feel differently. 3) Ergonomics. ACC, for example, on the steering column, instead of the steering wheel, where it belongs IMO. In addition to being touch screen controls, basic functions like temperature controls at the level of the driver's knees. Others feel differently. And 4), Not least, corporate VAG's condescending attitude toward existing customers, mitigated certainly by dealership, but not felt exclusively by me and almost universally acknowledged. "You bought it. Be happy." No thanks, VW.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
KRS_SN13106.00
      10-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #3
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Hey all, Im a long time BMW enthusiast and have owned a 2017 q7 prestige for my wife for the last 6 months. Its on ok car, but missing the sharp handling and styling of the G05. Thinking of trading in for one.

Anyone make a similar move? Any notable comparison thoughts between the two vehicles or things they miss?

The Q7 is super smooth over bumps and very quiet on the road, two things I like.
I ordered a xdrive40i to replace my wife's 2017 q7 prestige with standard suspension - the lease is finished next month. I really liked the q7. Was very spacious, nice interior, comfortable to drive. I thought steering feel/feedback was better in the Audi than the BMW. The X5s I test drove were also very comfortable and quiet. X5 feels a bit quicker than the Audi? Second row leg room is better in the q7. The 3 latch anchors in the q7 is rare and served us well when the kids were all in carseats

I like the tech in the BMW and prefer the interior and user interface in the x5 to the q7. I have also always been really been impressed by visibility out of the x5. The q7 was fine, but for some reason the X5 seems super "airy", like the greenhouse glass is massive.

I strongly considered keeping the q7 at the end of lease. Both are great vehicles. X5 is probably "sportier" though steering is on the numb side. I prefer the new iDrive to the MMI in the 2017 Audi. Wireless CarPlay is also awesome. I'm optimistic we will love the x5 as much as the q7.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Coming from a pair of 2018 Prestige Q7s, I'll add part of a post I contributed to an Audi forum in relation to the soon-expiring Google Earth Virtual Cockpit overlay for MY18 and earlier Audis:

Although no longer an Audi owner, to clarify for me as well, in addition to the GE shenanigans by VAG, the switch to almost exclusively touch screens for driving control was a deal-breaker. Add to that the abysmal throttle lag, the constant and random glitches in the software, and the laissez-faire attitude in general from Audi about fixing anything, it was time to switch. And having switched, as a former Q7 owner who actually liked driving the car and thought it was great in many ways, I can honestly now say that the X5 is orders of magnitude ahead of the technology and driving experience from the 2018 Q7. I qualify it because that's my personal experience, but I expect it's orders of magnitude ahead of the 2019/2020 as well. The X5 drives better, is more responsive, quieter (acoustic glass was actually available in US models), the voice recognition is as good as "Alexa," if you're an Amazon subscriber, the HUD and driver assistance features are beyond anything I saw in Audi, and the Nav features are immediate in their response and dead on accurate. It sometimes took five minutes out of my driveway for navigation to even be available in the Audi, and more than 50 percent of the time it couldn't understand voice requests, or find a location, or get me there by the best route. Trying not to sound like a BMW fanboy on an Audi site, and the new X5s have certainly had their share of first-year warts, but there's really no comparison, for me, in daily driving these cars. I wish everyone happiness and success in whatever their choice of transport might be, but I have no regrets whatsoever to have swapped badges. Peace, out.

And to clarify, the Q7 was a nice car - very well finished, and a great highway cruiser. However, all of the above was true, and much of it still is for MY21 models. Coupled with the deletion of features available on EU models, but not in the US - not regulatory, but simply $$ savings for Audi, from anything as simple as no Autohold button to a hobbled full Parking Assist. The X5 is much more responsive driving, has better (i.e., more functional) technology, and is a more attractive design - to me. The Q7 is slightly roomier, and comes standard with a 3rd row seat, if that matters. I wouldn't be unhappy driving one, but I really don't miss anything from my Q7. Things I still don't like in Audi, and really part of their DNA for MY21: 1) Throttle lag. Undefined as to cause, discussed in many Audi forums. but probably attributable to the DC transmission. 2) Almost exclusive touch screen interface. This is a "no" for me, no other considerations necessary. Others feel differently. 3) Ergonomics. ACC, for example, on the steering column, instead of the steering wheel, where it belongs IMO. In addition to being touch screen controls, basic functions like temperature controls at the level of the driver's knees. Others feel differently. And 4), Not least, corporate VAG's condescending attitude toward existing customers, mitigated certainly by dealership, but not felt exclusively by me and almost universally acknowledged. "You bought it. Be happy." No thanks, VW.
Thanks for the summary. You touched on the top things that annoy me on the Q7. Throttle calibration is awful for some unknown reason, the 3.0 T has plenty of power and torque. Styling is very bland. Tech is pretty outdated compared to current idrive. I use the third row seat once or twice a year so having available is important, but used so rarely it is not critical to be as room as in the X7- which seems to be too large of a vehicle.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Thanks for the summary. You touched on the top things that annoy me on the Q7. Throttle calibration is awful for some unknown reason, the 3.0 T has plenty of power and torque. Styling is very bland. Tech is pretty outdated compared to current idrive. I use the third row seat once or twice a year so having available is important, but used so rarely it is not critical to be as room as in the X7- which seems to be too large of a vehicle.
I test drove the Audi Q7 and almost bought one. No spare tire and no ability to order a spare tire was the final deal breaker for me. Plus, all the things that have already been mentioned here forced me to move on to other options.

I test drove the X5 and loved it but my wife had issues with the front passenger seat leg room and didn't like the sporty harsher ride of the X5. Plus, interior space was smaller than our outgoing Toyota Highlander so we moved up to the X7 and never looked back.

If ride quality and comfort are important to you I highly recommend you consider test driving an X7 before you pull the trigger on the X5. Despite it's size the X7 is a very compliant riding vehicle and handles much better than most people would expect it to drive. It's composed and opulent. It's a dream to drive on almost any road, highway, or freeway.

I highly recommend the Driving Assistance Professional package and the Parking Assistance package for the 3D camera view alone. I use that feature every time I park to make sure I'm in the center of the parking space.

Food for thought...
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      10-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The X5 is available with and without the four wheel air suspension...so, depending on which suspension you tested, it may have been apples to oranges with the X7 that is standard with the air suspension all around. Then, the M versions are tuned a bit differently.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I tested the X5 with air suspension and without back to back. It's pretty night and day. If a plush ride quality is important to you, try it with air suspension first. I believe it's standard on the X7, which explains why it's so plush.
Appreciate 1
robby818265.00
      10-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
I tested the X5 with air suspension and without back to back. It's pretty night and day. If a plush ride quality is important to you, try it with air suspension first. I believe it's standard on the X7, which explains why it's so plush.
Yes. Not just air suspension but the overall roominess of the X7, especially in the front passenger compartment, make a big difference in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Quote:
What wheel sizes did you test drive? I heard that the 19” wheel with the standard suspension rides pretty well, similar to air suspension with larger wheels. Unfortunately, no 2VR in my area so can’t compare myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #10
Juney
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e , Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Yes. Not just air suspension but the overall roominess of the X7, especially in the front passenger compartment, make a big difference in my opinion.
The front compartment dimensions of X5 and X7 are exact same
Even the front floor mats are exact the same
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7257.50
ND40oz396.50
      10-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile muncher View Post
What wheel sizes did you test drive? I heard that the 19” wheel with the standard suspension rides pretty well, similar to air suspension with larger wheels. Unfortunately, no 2VR in my area so can’t compare myself.
It was a pretty base xDrive40i. Standard suspension (X-line) with 19" wheels.

The air suspension was a xDrive45e (hybrid so heavier) M-Sport with 21" wheels.

The 40i feels like a bit heavier and bigger X3. Mechanical, pretty classic BMW. The 45e wasn't as tossable, but still felt sporty but ultra luxe. I prefer the luxe feel b/c honestly, it's a big SUV not a small coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #12
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Quote:
It was a pretty base xDrive40i. Standard suspension (X-line) with 19" wheels.

The air suspension was a xDrive45e (hybrid so heavier) M-Sport with 21" wheels.

The 40i feels like a bit heavier and bigger X3. Mechanical, pretty classic BMW. The 45e wasn't as tossable, but still felt sporty but ultra luxe. I prefer the luxe feel b/c honestly, it's a big SUV not a small coupe.
Agreed. Very good to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #13
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
I did not sit in the passenger seat. However, my wife did and said she couldn't stretch her legs without hitting the firewall. Apparently there's less room below the glove box or behind the firewall/bulkhead on the X5. Either that or my wife was imagining things.

She immediately commented on the space under the glove box and the firewall bulkhead.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juney View Post
Actually, X7 is 3 inches taller than X5.
So the headroom is definitely more in X7, giving a roomier impression.
Not sure about space below glovebox, but it is certainly possible that it is increased in X7.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      11-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
Big_CG
Major
Rep

Anyone have any impressions on ride quality compared to the Q7 with air suspension? Some youtube reviewers have commented on a harsh rough ride on the X5
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #16
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Had the air suspension on my 2018 Q and now on the X5. Both are equivalent IMO, and both smooth out the ride dramatically from the standard suspension (also a previous F15 owner with DH). The seats in the Audi were a teeny bit softer (luxury seats on both - Full Merino on the BMW), both ventilated. I had 21" non-RF on the Audi, and now 20" RF on the X5, but both to me have a very similar ride. The G05 with air is certainly not harsher in the slightest to me compared to the Q, but without air my experience with the F15 was that it felt like a Conestoga wagon crossing the prairie.
Appreciate 1
SoCalS2k447.50
      11-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 G06 X40i

Quote:
Had the air suspension on my 2018 Q and now on the X5. Both are equivalent IMO, and both smooth out the ride dramatically from the standard suspension (also a previous F15 owner with DH). The seats in the Audi were a teeny bit softer (luxury seats on both - Full Merino on the BMW), both ventilated.
How was the ventilated seats in the 2018 Q vs the X5? Does Audi actually have "cooled" seats? I know BMW is just ventilated (as in, only cabin air pulling away from your body).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #18
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeva381 View Post
How was the ventilated seats in the 2018 Q vs the X5? Does Audi actually have "cooled" seats? I know BMW is just ventilated (as in, only cabin air pulling away from your body).
Audi uses the same concept - "ventilated" vs "cooled." The seat ventilation pulls air in rather than blowing out. Like the BMW, you could also turn on "heat" and "ventilation" together. Very similar, although I recall the Audi being noisier on the max setting, particularly the rear seats. Both to me were actually pretty effective at keeping you dry - being cool was more a factor of the A/C setting rather than the seat ventilation.

Last edited by Paladin1; 11-09-2020 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #19
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Had the air suspension on my 2018 Q and now on the X5. Both are equivalent IMO, and both smooth out the ride dramatically from the standard suspension (also a previous F15 owner with DH). The seats in the Audi were a teeny bit softer (luxury seats on both - Full Merino on the BMW), both ventilated. I had 21" non-RF on the Audi, and now 20" RF on the X5, but both to me have a very similar ride. The G05 with air is certainly not harsher in the slightest to me compared to the Q, but without air my experience with the F15 was that it felt like a Conestoga wagon crossing the prairie.
Great feedback. Thanks! The q7 air suspension is by far the best riding SUV I've ever been in. Good to hear the x5 air is just as good.

What about the other side of the coin? The q7 air suspension in dynamic mode is actually very capable and makes the car handle pretty well (for the size and what the q7 is). How about sport+ on the x5? Does it have a similar jekyl and Hyde ability like the q7?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #20
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Great feedback. Thanks! The q7 air suspension is by far the best riding SUV I've ever been in. Good to hear the x5 air is just as good.

What about the other side of the coin? The q7 air suspension in dynamic mode is actually very capable and makes the car handle pretty well (for the size and what the q7 is). How about sport+ on the x5? Does it have a similar jekyl and Hyde ability like the q7?
The Audi's response was "adequate" for me, but actually I had - and still have with more recent test drives of the Q7 and actually Q8 - a problem with the random, unexplained, much reviewed, significant throttle lag of the Q7. My personal thought is that the problem lies with the dual-clutch transmission, but not verified. To me, the current G05 40i is more responsive in Sport, has better handling regarding cornering and acceleration, and is quicker off the line - 0-60 mph in 4.7s for the G05 40i, 5s for the Q7. Both cars significantly alter handling and response shifting from Comfort to Sport, in concert with their air suspensions, but to me the X5 is better than the Q7 in every significant parameter.
Appreciate 1
SoCalS2k447.50
      11-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #21
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

I picked up my i40 build and turned in a 2017 q7 lease last week. Both with six cylinders and steel suspension.

So far so good. Love the looks of the x5 inside and out, and the BMW "new car smell" is intoxicating. Fitting the 3 kids in the back with their booster seats and car seats has not been a problem. I like the virtual cockpit in the Audi better, but the big idrive center screen in the x5 is awesome!

I haven't mashed the throttle down yet (break-in) but the BMW feels quick enough. A bit stiffer than the q7 and perhaps more nimble. Will test on some mountain roads this weekend.

My only complaint about my x5 is seats cushions seam quite stiff. My wife say they feel fine for her so it's a minor issue since she drives it 90% of the time. Maybe they will soften with wear? Otherwise really happy with the X5.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #22
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfR17 View Post
I picked up my i40 build and turned in a 2017 q7 lease last week. Both with six cylinders and steel suspension.

So far so good. Love the looks of the x5 inside and out, and the BMW "new car smell" is intoxicating. Fitting the 3 kids in the back with their booster seats and car seats has not been a problem. I like the virtual cockpit in the Audi better, but the big idrive center screen in the x5 is awesome!

I haven't mashed the throttle down yet (break-in) but the BMW feels quick enough. A bit stiffer than the q7 and perhaps more nimble. Will test on some mountain roads this weekend.

My only complaint about my x5 is seats cushions seam quite stiff. My wife say they feel fine for her so it's a minor issue since she drives it 90% of the time. Maybe they will soften with wear? Otherwise really happy with the X5.
Was seats did you get? Did you get massages seats as well?
Appreciate 0