Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I actually wish that there was also a mode (call it "defensive driving lane tracking mode") that modified lane tracking to follow the following algorithm:

* if solid line on left and broken line on right, bias to left
* if solid line on right and broken line on left, bias to right
* if broken line on left and broken line on right, bias to centre
* if solid line on left and solid line on right, bias to centre
That actually would work out very well. Hopefully they continue to improve it as time goes on.

By the way, are you ignoring my PM? LOL
Just answered, not ignoring but needed to organize my thoughts — I wasn't as clear on that PM topic as I hoped.
      10-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #68
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
I actually wish that there was also a mode (call it "defensive driving lane tracking mode") that modified lane tracking to follow the following algorithm:

* if solid line on left and broken line on right, bias to left
* if solid line on right and broken line on left, bias to right
* if broken line on left and broken line on right, bias to centre
* if solid line on left and solid line on right, bias to centre
That actually would work out very well. Hopefully they continue to improve it as time goes on.
I think I need to add at least one other rule to above defensive driving algorithm: only on divided highways/roadways — it could/would work rather badly on 4-lane (2 each way) undivided roads.
      10-18-2020, 04:42 PM   #69
keeva381
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6 G06 X40i

No, it is very steady and centered for me. Are you sure you are using cruise with steering control mode and not just the lane keeping assist? Folks have done that in the past.

To be honest I'm not sure...could have been it. I ended up just hitting enough buttons that it all appeared to be "on."

It definitely kept me a certain distance from the car in front (accelerating/descending), so I know the active cruise was on. And then it did keep me within the lanes, steering itself, it just had me slightly bouncing between them on it's own.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #70
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeva381 View Post
To be honest I'm not sure...could have been it. I ended up just hitting enough buttons that it all appeared to be "on."

It definitely kept me a certain distance from the car in front (accelerating/descending), so I know the active cruise was on. And then it did keep me within the lanes, steering itself, it just had me slightly bouncing between them on it's own.
There are two modes to the cruise, three actually including eTJA. The first one is the adaptive cruise and the second is the adaptive cruise with the steering/lane control. The third is total hands free when on qualifying divided highways, mainly Interstates, under 40mph.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #71
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Any update on if Lane Change Assist is available in UK/Australia as a standard feature with latest software updates and which doesn't require coding to enable it?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:00 PM   #72
Deja011
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
Any update on if Lane Change Assist is available in UK/Australia as a standard feature with latest software updates and which doesn't require coding to enable it?
It's not standard you need to code it on a Aussie car. I got i-step 07/20 from the dealer in July and mine was gone and had to recode it.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      02-23-2021, 01:52 AM   #73
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja011 View Post
It's not standard you need to code it on a Aussie car. I got i-step 07/20 from the dealer in July and mine was gone and had to recode it.
I have it standard on my 2.5D built in August 2019 my istep is 07/20. Another X5 down the road from me went to Townsville for a service & istep upgrade to 11/20 still does not have it.

Their car was built in early 2019 & I suspect the upgrades new features are controlled by the build level date. I was thinking of changing this value in their FA and then VO coding the relevant ECU's to confirm my suspicions
      02-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #74
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
I have it standard on my 2.5D built in August 2019 my istep is 07/20. Another X5 down the road from me went to Townsville for a service & istep upgrade to 11/20 still does not have it.

Their car was built in early 2019 & I suspect the upgrades new features are controlled by the build level date. I was thinking of changing this value in their FA and then VO coding the relevant ECU's to confirm my suspicions
I wouldn't do that - it will change multiple codes in SAS, HU and BDC, not just LCA, and they might not have the hardware for some of those changes, or desire the changes.

If you want to VO Code, check if they have 8TR or similar in the FA. Remove it and then VO Code. Alternatively, just FDL code it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:46 PM   #75
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I wouldn't do that - it will change multiple codes in SAS, HU and BDC, not just LCA, and they might not have the hardware for some of those changes, or desire the changes.

If you want to VO Code, check if they have 8TR or similar in the FA. Remove it and then VO Code. Alternatively, just FDL code it.
Yeah thanks for the heads up I was aware of that risk there may be some hardware changes between the MY19 & MY20 models.
I am in contact with some other G05 owners here in Australia that have successfully FDL coded Lane Change Assist, aSLA & Assisted Driving View that have a build level date that predates mine I will compare their build level dates with the car in question and do a FA comparison using Tokenmaster's Tool (wish it still worked for NCD files)

BTW All Aus/NZ spec G05's have come standard since day 1 with Driver Assist Pro (just another way to charge the customer even more for something that has limited functionality ie no traffic jam or aSLA) I will give you feed back once I have done a scan and saved the FA & SVT tree before I attempt to either VO or FDL code the extras the owner wants

The owner has just given me his VIN# and I have checked his specs on Mdecoder.com and yes it does have 8TR (decoding additional functions) listed in his FA but not in mine what are these functions that have been disabled?

Last edited by Bambazonke; 02-24-2021 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:22 AM   #76
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thanks for the heads up I was aware of that risk there may be some hardware changes between the MY19 & MY20 models.
I am in contact with some other G05 owners here in Australia that have successfully FDL coded Lane Change Assist, aSLA & Assisted Driving View that have a build level date that predates mine I will compare their build level dates with the car in question and do a FA comparison using Tokenmaster's Tool (wish it still worked for NCD files)

BTW All Aus/NZ spec G05's have come standard since day 1 with Driver Assist Pro (just another way to charge the customer even more for something that has limited functionality ie no traffic jam or aSLA) I will give you feed back once I have done a scan and saved the FA & SVT tree before I attempt to either VO or FDL code the extras the owner wants

The owner has just given me his VIN# and I have checked his specs on Mdecoder.com and yes it does have 8TR (decoding additional functions) listed in his FA but not in mine what are these functions that have been disabled?
8TR disables Lane Change Assist, maybe some other functions. You would need their FA and SVT to compare with and without 8TR and do an offline whole car comparison to ensure their are no other ECU impacted by removal of 8TR. On my UK car LCA was the only difference with 8TR.

If you remove 8TR from their FA and save it back, then VO Code the 3 ECU listed, LCA should then work. It will also persist beyond any future software updates.

You could also FDL code LCA using the codes I published in 2019, but those changes will need recoding with each software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:11 AM   #77
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
8TR disables Lane Change Assist, maybe some other functions. You would need their FA and SVT to compare with and without 8TR and do an offline whole car comparison to ensure their are no other ECU impacted by removal of 8TR. On my UK car LCA was the only difference with 8TR.

If you remove 8TR from their FA and save it back, then VO Code the 3 ECU listed, LCA should then work. It will also persist beyond any future software updates.

You could also FDL code LCA using the codes I published in 2019, but those changes will need recoding with each software upgrade.
Thanks for that. This would also explain why he also does not have Assisted Driving View in his Kombi as well. In my opinion it is an integral part of Lane Change Assist.

I am reluctant to change the FA list permanently on someone else's car. It raises alarm bells when the dealer has to replace faulty ECU's & flash them to the latest iStep. I had a surround camera module replaced in my F15 & it had to be coded "offline" as my FA did not match the factory FA (I added 2TB to the list when I retrofitted a paddle shift steering wheel.) Dealer was ok with it just wanted to know how I did it.
      02-24-2021, 06:06 AM   #78
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Yes, I use it all the time. Are you pushing it past the point of resistance so that the stalk stays down or up? Or are you holding it just before the point of resistance? It only works in the latter case.

Also, you have to have cruise control engaged with drive assist active. You also have to be going above a certain speed.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #79
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that. This would also explain why he also does not have Assisted Driving View in his Kombi as well. In my opinion it is an integral part of Lane Change Assist.

I am reluctant to change the FA list permanently on someone else's car. It raises alarm bells when the dealer has to replace faulty ECU's & flash them to the latest iStep. I had a surround camera module replaced in my F15 & it had to be coded "offline" as my FA did not match the factory FA (I added 2TB to the list when I retrofitted a paddle shift steering wheel.) Dealer was ok with it just wanted to know how I did it.
Technically its not permanent as it can be changed again, but get your point.

You can VO Code without writing the FA to the car of course, but sounds like you are better off FDL coding anyway if they want ADV as well. Just have to accept it will need recoding after each major software update
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:58 PM   #80
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

I think I might have found the origins of 8TR Surprisingly it is not due to Statutory Regulations or hardware but paint!

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27232171

Still does not explain the vehicle in question as it is Alpine White which is non metallic Maybe BMW got it wrong when they set up the factory FA?
      02-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #81
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think I might have found the origins of 8TR Surprisingly it is not due to Statutory Regulations or hardware but paint!

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27232171

Still does not explain the vehicle in question as it is Alpine White which is non metallic Maybe BMW got it wrong when they set up the factory FA?
They use it for blocking LCA, whatever the reason - and that could be paint, regulations, or feature release schedule.

My G05 is a sapphire black and was blocked with 8TR just because they weren't ready to release it in the U.K.

Same hardware same software just logistics.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 04:51 AM   #82
uadissa
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 20D M-Sport

My 2 cents guys.
SWA lane change assist should work in any G05 from September 2019 in Australia. See the article below.

https://www.goauto.com.au/amp/bmw/la...-07/81187.html

It's also on the dealer spec guide for Australia.

G01 is a different story. It's on the BMW Configurator, but not on the dealer spec guide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:24 PM   #83
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

I didn't really want to start a new thread on lane change, and kudos to you guys trying to code his stuff and what not, but is this lane change really ready for prime time? It works when I want it to work on my 2021 X5, but I just turned it off because it makes me look like a moron on the highway. It changes lanes way too fast. I can imagine some situations where that is desirable, but most of the time it just looks plain ridiculous. And when changing from an inside lane to an outside lane, or driving between traffic on a multi-lane highway, it can become simply dangerous. Why can it not be done at a normal pace like everybody else on the road. I have gotten used to the mild zigzagging when using the DAP automation, but lane change…meh. I would use it if it nudged over gently. You shouldn't have all this automation on on busy highways, or, god forbid, city roads anyway. Just my 2🪙.
Appreciate 1
jonatious249.50
      04-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #84
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
I didn't really want to start a new thread on lane change, and kudos to you guys trying to code his stuff and what not, but is this lane change really ready for prime time? It works when I want it to work on my 2021 X5, but I just turned it off because it makes me look like a moron on the highway. It changes lanes way too fast. I can imagine some situations where that is desirable, but most of the time it just looks plain ridiculous. And when changing from an inside lane to an outside lane, or driving between traffic on a multi-lane highway, it can become simply dangerous. Why can it not be done at a normal pace like everybody else on the road. I have gotten used to the mild zigzagging when using the DAP automation, but lane change…meh. I would use it if it nudged over gently. You shouldn't have all this automation on on busy highways, or, god forbid, city roads anyway. Just my 2🪙.
It definitely is much better than when it originally came out. There was quite a delay between the time the turn signal was pressed and when it actually made the change. It is just a matter of personal preference but I think now it works just as it should, hit the signal and go.
Stoshu491.00
      04-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #85
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
It definitely is much better than when it originally came out. There was quite a delay between the time the turn signal was pressed and when it actually made the change. It is just a matter of personal preference but I think now it works just as it should, hit the signal and go.
I agree, it does not seem to fast or abrupt to me but what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #86
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
Quote:
I agree, it does not seem to fast or abrupt to me but what do I know?
I'll see if I can get a video of it. It's just that I do not see anybody else on the road switching lanes this fast. It takes about 2 to 3 seconds to complete the maneuver after I hit the blinker. And the car "leans" noticeably.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:29 AM   #87
ericthc
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 20 AstonM Vantage. 22 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
disabled in Australia (nanny state)
Ugh. Typical - we don't get the fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:39 AM   #88
jonatious
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
I created another post about a month back. I have the same feeling. Just got used to the zigzag on DAP and yeah still feel lane change is fast
Appreciate 1