BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #23
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Can you tell me the precise size and offset you’re getting? Did Vossen say anything about potentially not clearing the front caliper?

I’m going back and forth with Avant Garde. They won’t tell me the size and offset because their “engineer has to make sure it can clear the caliper.” I told him I DO NOT want an aggressive fitament. I actuality can’t stand when the wheels stick out. Looks cheap to me. They won’t tell me the size until AFTER I order. That sounds like nonsense to me.

I may go Vossen or Savini now, but I really would like to hear your precise setup if you don’t mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Can you tell me the precise size and offset you’re getting? Did Vossen say anything about potentially not clearing the front caliper?

I’m going back and forth with Avant Garde. They won’t tell me the size and offset because their “engineer has to make sure it can clear the caliper.” I told him I DO NOT want an aggressive fitament. I actuality can’t stand when the wheels stick out. Looks cheap to me. They won’t tell me the size until AFTER I order. That sounds like nonsense to me.

I may go Vossen or Savini now, but I really would like to hear your precise setup if you don’t mind.
My sizes are the same as the factory 22 inch wheels with ET 22 front and ET 23 rear. It should bring the rims right up to the edge without going over. If you like it conservative go with ET 25 front and ET 28 Rear.

Nobody said anything to me about clearing the caliper. However, I’m going with a lower offset which pushes the wheels away from the calipers.

Avant Garde sounds like they are playing games with you. HRE has some cool wheels in their FlowForm line that are affordable you might also consider.
Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      06-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #25
007bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
Thank you everyone for all your helpful feedback. I think I have it narrowed down to wheel #3, the HF-5. I want it to have a little bit of shine so I am thinking of either the Anthracite Finish or the Gunmetal Matte but with a custom gloss added on top. If you look at the S17-01 wheel it is a gloss gunmetal. Obviously this would add more cost of probably 150-200 per wheel. What do you think looks better?

Secondly, when I see pictures of the HF-5 with billet caps it really adds depth and makes the wheels look more expensive. I'm wondering your thoughts if the black with billet blue would look good on mine with the blue break calipers? Or plain black?
I have these wheels on order. I ordered them at the end of April and still haven't received them yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:35 AM   #26
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007bimmer View Post
I have these wheels on order. I ordered them at the end of April and still haven't received them yet.
Yeah they are backlogged apparently. Guess they don’t have many people working in their shop right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:27 AM   #27
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:

It's common for wheel manufacturers to keep their offsets a secret. Once word gets out of specific sizing and fitment...... the Chinese start selling replicas in eBay.... and people looking to save a buck keep handing the Chinese more money for crap products.

But I digress.

Additionally, I've found ZERO manufacturers that will sell you an aggressive offset, unless you specifically ask for it.... and then it will usually void the return policy. Now, plenty of ebayers will sell you wheels that have aggressive figments, but usually they just take the same wheel, and advertise it for 100 different vehicles to try to sell more. They could care less what you want, or whether or not it is correct for your application. Wheel "manufacturers" however, won't do that.

Avanti Gard - I owned a set for several years. Bought them in 2014. Looked decent, priced decent, etc.

When I contacted them recently...... they blew me off after multiple questions, didn't answer any specifics, and quite frankly, seemed like dicks. When they finally quoted me a price..... is was over $7000.... with no available options to reduce the price, no alternatives..... nothing. Apparently they've changed DRAMATICALLY since 2014.

Contacted Vossen HQ directly (after a couple of 3rd party retailers played similar games as Avant Gard). They answered every question, gave me options, and even threw in a set of lugs and locks for free. $3700 shipped.

I've already bought and paid for them..... and currently waiting. They told me 6-8 weeks lead time before shipping. They didn't tell me however, what the specific offsets are though. NBD. I get it, and I trust they know what they are doing.

I ordered a very wide set, and I'm comfortable knowing that they will be tucked under the car nicely. If I do decide to "poke out", I can always run spacers. But if they stick out too far when new, nothing you can do.

I spoke with a LOT of retailers, and directly with manufacturers themselves.
I definitely recommend NOT contacting Audio City Wheels, or Avant Gard. They were both some of the most unprofessional, incompetent sellers I dealt with. I must have written Audio City about 7-8 times (they sell BC Forged wheels)... long, in-depth questions, asking for recommendations, sizing, shipping times, alternatives..... and I only received emails back 3 times. All 3 emails said "We don't have those in stock".

That's it..... that was the whole email.

Admittedly, I am an asshole. I have ZERO tolerance for laziness and complacency. I have LESS than zero tolerance for incompetence. Once you treat me like I'm not an important customer.... I become not even a potential customer. I will NEVER chase a company and beg them to sell me something.

Vossen was good. No complaints from me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-29-2020 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 2
Frenetic477.50
UltraDave127.00
      06-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #28
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Nice, thanks for sharing. That’s exactly what I encountered at Avant Garde. Yeah, I’m waiting to hear back from Vossen and Savini.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #29
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice, thanks for sharing. That’s exactly what I encountered at Avant Garde. Yeah, I’m waiting to hear back from Vossen and Savini.
My sales guy at Vossen was Diego Alvarez. Super helpful, very responsive to emails. Not sure if you can "choose" your sales rep.... but I highly recommend him if you can.

On another note...... F--- Avant Gard. If that's how they treat you, speak back with your wallet, and shop somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #30
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
It's common for wheel manufacturers to keep their offsets a secret. Once word gets out of specific sizing and fitment...... the Chinese start selling replicas in eBay.... and people looking to save a buck keep handing the Chinese more money for crap products.

But I digress.

Additionally, I've found ZERO manufacturers that will sell you an aggressive offset, unless you specifically ask for it.... and then it will usually void the return policy. Now, plenty of ebayers will sell you wheels that have aggressive figments, but usually they just take the same wheel, and advertise it for 100 different vehicles to try to sell more. They could care less what you want, or whether or not it is correct for your application. Wheel "manufacturers" however, won't do that.

Avanti Gard - I owned a set for several years. Bought them in 2014. Looked decent, priced decent, etc.

When I contacted them recently...... they blew me off after multiple questions, didn't answer any specifics, and quite frankly, seemed like dicks. When they finally quoted me a price..... is was over $7000.... with no available options to reduce the price, no alternatives..... nothing. Apparently they've changed DRAMATICALLY since 2014.

Contacted Vossen HQ directly (after a couple of 3rd party retailers played similar games as Avant Gard). They answered every question, gave me options, and even threw in a set of lugs and locks for free. $3700 shipped.

I've already bought and paid for them..... and currently waiting. They told me 6-8 weeks lead time before shipping. They didn't tell me however, what the specific offsets are though. NBD. I get it, and I trust they know what they are doing.

I ordered a very wide set, and I'm comfortable knowing that they will be tucked under the car nicely. If I do decide to "poke out", I can always run spacers. But if they stick out too far when new, nothing you can do.

I spoke with a LOT of retailers, and directly with manufacturers themselves.
I definitely recommend NOT contacting Audio City Wheels, or Avant Gard. They were both some of the most unprofessional, incompetent sellers I dealt with. I must have written Audio City about 7-8 times (they sell BC Forged wheels)... long, in-depth questions, asking for recommendations, sizing, shipping times, alternatives..... and I only received emails back 3 times. All 3 emails said "We don't have those in stock".

That's it..... that was the whole email.

Admittedly, I am an asshole. I have ZERO tolerance for laziness and complacency. I have LESS than zero tolerance for incompetence. Once you treat me like I'm not an important customer.... I become not even a potential customer. I will NEVER chase a company and beg them to sell me something.

Vossen was good. No complaints from me.
Your rears will be like adding 20mm spacers and the front like adding 2mm spacers. So if you add a 12mm on top of the 2 in the front it should look good.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #31
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Your rears will be like adding 20mm spacers and the front like adding 2mm spacers. So if you add a 12mm on top of the 2 in the front it should look good.
How do you know what the offset will be?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #32
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
How do you know what the offset will be?
Oh sorry I looked at the top of the range on your invoice LOL. I guess I don’t really know.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #33
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just changed my offsets to ET 20 and ET 20 so I can go Super Deep profile on the rears.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #34
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just changed my offsets to ET 20 and ET 20 so I can go Super Deep profile on the rears.
My rears are "super deep" as well, but I don't necessarily think you have to go with that aggressive of an offset to get that profile. It depends on how wide your rears are.

I know that Vossen knows what they are doing..... I'm going to just trust them that the wheels will fit correctly. I can always run spacers if I want.

It'll be a surprise when they show up... and I'll lower the suspension when the wheels get here, and set it just right for whatever looks right. So many different factors. For me, it was easier to just trust them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #35
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Dave, do you want to compare Vossen quotes? I tried contacting Vossen directly, but they referred me to a dealer.

Here is my quote for the HF-4T:
  • Tinted Gloss Black (which is a factory-applied black base coat with a machined finished front that is double tinted) using a standard, non-custom build @ 22x9 et32 flat front and 22x10.5 et42 deep concave rear: $2,790 + tax (price includes shipping). He said this size and offset is the closest "standard" size they have that matches OEM.

• Gloss Black (which is a Vossen-applied powder coat) using a custom build to precisely match OEM fitment @ 22x9.5 et37 flat front and 22x10.5 et43 deep concave rear: $3,090 + tax (price includes shipping)

He also offered to add a few MM to push them out, but I think I'm going to stick with OEM. They kind of stick out to begin with. Also, our OEM wheels are flat all around. How did BMW do that on the rears at that width and offset without going concave?

Last edited by Frenetic; 07-01-2020 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Correction: price includes shipping.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #36
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dave, do you want to compare Vossen quotes? I tried contacting Vossen directly, but they referred me to a dealer.

• Tinted Gloss Black (which is a factory-applied black base coat with a machined finished front that is double tinted) using a standard, non-custom build @ 22x9 et32 flat front and 22x10.5 et42 deep concave rear: $2,790 + tax (includes shipping). He said this size and offset is the closest "standard" size they have that matches OEM.

• Gloss Black (which is a Vossen-applied powder coat) using a custom build to precisely match OEM fitment @ 22x9.5 et37 flat front and 22x10.5 et43 deep concave rear: $3,090 + tax (includes shipping).

He also offered to add a few MM to push them out, but I think I'm going to stick with OEM. They kind of stick out to begin with. Also, our OEM wheels are flat all around. How did BMW do that on the rears at that width and offset without going concave?
With my custom offsets it’s $3006 + $120 for custom billet caps + $140 mount and balance + $140 shipping + tax. It’s priced through an authorized dealer.

I can’t believe you think the factory wheels stick out already. Maybe somewhat on the lower sides where the fenders taper inward, but definitely not at the top of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #37
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Dumb question: what do they mean by flat and concave? Is that for the side of the wheel facing outwards? I would think it would look odd if the front was straight verticals and the rear were concave... I’m confused
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #38
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Dumb question: what do they mean by flat and concave? Is that for the side of the wheel facing outwards? I would think it would look odd if the front was straight verticals and the rear were concave... I’m confused
A deeper rear profile gives a more aggressive muscle car stance. If I could have super deep on the front I would but they would stick out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #39
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

The rear on this is concave while the front is flat: https://vossenwheels.com/galleries/b...-series-hf-4t/

Concave is just that, it curves inward from the outside edge.

Yeah, it does stick out at the bottom more than the top:
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #40
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Who is your dealer if I may ask? That’s under MSRP for the caps. I’m working with motorsportsla.com and they quoted me list. I may use your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #41
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Huh! Live and learn. I guess mixing flat and concave doesn’t look bad after all!

The Vossens look great, but then I see the pictures of the 742s again and I fall in love....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #42
UltraDave
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCrash View Post
Huh! Live and learn. I guess mixing flat and concave doesn’t look bad after all!

The Vossens look great, but then I see the pictures of the 742s again and I fall in love....
The 742s are definitely classy and if I still had my corvette I would keep them but now I want it to look like more of a sports car.��
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #43
007bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

• Tinted Gloss Black (which is a factory-applied black base coat with a machined finished front that is double tinted) using a standard, non-custom build @ 22x9 et32 flat front and 22x10.5 et42 deep concave rear: $2,790 + tax (includes shipping). He said this size and offset is the closest "standard" size they have that matches OEM.

• Gloss Black (which is a Vossen-applied powder coat) using a custom build to precisely match OEM fitment @ 22x9.5 et37 flat front and 22x10.5 et43 deep concave rear: $3,090 + tax (includes shipping).

With my custom offsets it's $3006 + $120 for custom billet caps + $140 mount and balance + $140 shipping + tax. It's priced through an authorized dealer.

I can't believe you think the factory wheels stick out already. Maybe somewhat on the lower sides where the fenders taper inward, but definitely not at the top of the wheel.
I paid $3390 for my HF5 gloss silver with the forged lug nuts, shipped all in. 22x10 and 22x11.
Appreciate 1
UltraDave127.00
      09-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #44
Dr. Jekyll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did you ever get these installed?
Appreciate 0