BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #1
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m4

Any engineers in SoCal looking for an entry level mechanical engineer?

Kinda bummed after a few interviews fell through, any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I'm a mech eng but I'm doing civil engineering because in my area infrastructure is booming so you may want to broaden your search
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
do you have indeed or Linkedin?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:55 PM   #4
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

i'll take the M4, at a discount of course
Appreciate 3
Dpc2u11503.00
Dang3r12503.00
      08-31-2020, 05:30 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
i'll take the M4, at a discount of course
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
do you have indeed or Linkedin?
Yes I do, man I've applied to more than 500 jobs. All vanished
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 11:38 PM   #7
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

If you don't mind relocation, looks like we have an entry level engineering job opening....

https://careers-spiritaero.icims.com...-defense-1/job
      10-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
If you don't mind relocation, looks like we have an entry level engineering job opening....

Thanks man, relocation is not on my interest. I do fortunately qualify for this position. Is there a location in California?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90coast View Post
Thanks man, relaxation is not on my interest. I do fortunately qualify for this position. Is there a location in California?
I don't know - someone asks you if you have LinkedIn and you take a month and a half to respond...you'd think if you were putting feelers out, you'd check your lines a little more frequently to see if you caught anything.

Then, this dude tells you about an opportunity, and requires relocation, and you say "relaxation is not on my interest", which I'm guessing is autocorrect, but again, think you'd look at least before posting as an engineer.

Then again, it took me literally 2 minutes to follow the link and learn about the company and its locations which are:

About Spirit AeroSystems
Spirit AeroSystems, with headquarters in Wichita, Kansas, USA, is one of the world’s largest non-OEM designers and manufacturers of aerostructures for commercial and defense aircraft. In addition to its Wichita facilities, Spirit has locations in Tulsa and McAlester, Oklahoma; Kinston, North Carolina; Biddeford, Maine; San Antonio, Texas; Prestwick, Scotland; Subang, Malaysia; and Saint-Nazaire, France. The company’s core products include fuselages, pylons, nacelles and wing components. Additionally, Spirit provides maintenance, repair and overhaul services.

Again, you could have done this yourself. All this suggests to me you aren't really a self starter or someone who can work independently. Maybe I just expect more from engineers, I don't know. Maybe I'm unrealistic. But based on this thread, I wouldn't have hired you if I were an employer.
Appreciate 9
jmack548.50
Alfisti6452.50
premier3is1627.00
Nachbar8023.00
      10-21-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

what are you trying to focus on?

industrial and municipal construction is always looking for mechanical engineers. have you tried hitting up some of those type of engineering firms?

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
could be the same reason OP hasnt done well with interviews.
OP sending bad vibe to possible employers, looking for someone with more of go getter, self motivated individual, work independently etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I don't know - someone asks you if you have LinkedIn and you take a month and a half to respond...you'd think if you were putting feelers out, you'd check your lines a little more frequently to see if you caught anything.

Then, this dude tells you about an opportunity, and requires relocation, and you say "relaxation is not on my interest", which I'm guessing is autocorrect, but again, think you'd look at least before posting as an engineer.

Then again, it took me literally 2 minutes to follow the link and learn about the company and its locations which are:

About Spirit AeroSystems
Spirit AeroSystems, with headquarters in Wichita, Kansas, USA, is one of the world’s largest non-OEM designers and manufacturers of aerostructures for commercial and defense aircraft. In addition to its Wichita facilities, Spirit has locations in Tulsa and McAlester, Oklahoma; Kinston, North Carolina; Biddeford, Maine; San Antonio, Texas; Prestwick, Scotland; Subang, Malaysia; and Saint-Nazaire, France. The company’s core products include fuselages, pylons, nacelles and wing components. Additionally, Spirit provides maintenance, repair and overhaul services.

Again, you could have done this yourself. All this suggests to me you aren't really a self starter or someone who can work independently. Maybe I just expect more from engineers, I don't know. Maybe I'm unrealistic. But based on this thread, I wouldn't have hired you if I were an employer.
Appreciate 4
jmack548.50
vreihen1614883.50
AlexFL7833.00
      10-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #12
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

About Spirit AeroSystems

Spirit Aero Systems was literally the worst company I've ever worked for. Union shop, more middle-management than anything I've ever seen.

That was the type of place that more than once, I thought about taking a few shots in the parking lot to help me not lose it.

But I'm with you on the other stuff, even the title of his thread doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks man, relaxation is not on my interest. I do fortunately qualify for this position. Is there a location in California?

About Spirit AeroSystems

That was autocorrect, I meant to say relocation isn't in my best interest at the moment. Taking care of family. And also it took me forever to respond because I did not know how to use the forums but now I understand and more frequently on them trying to catch something.

My apologies to everyone taking their time to give me advice helping me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My focus is medical equipments used for bioengineering, I have been applying but since the recent covid, their interview process is super lagging. All the opportunities I have received have fell through due to unknown reasons.

I have applied to over 500 jobs and emailed plenty of HR departments regarding my applications but it's just a hassle at the moment. They give half responses and don't really care for anything I say.

I have broadened my search for defense, Northrop, Raytheon, Lockheed; but they are difficult to get in contact with as well since they have no proper HR email where they respond effectively regarding to all the positions I am "under consideration" for.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Quote:

About Spirit AeroSystems

Spirit Aero Systems was literally the worst company I've ever worked for. Union shop, more middle-management than anything I've ever seen.

That was the type of place that more than once, I thought about taking a few shots in the parking lot to help me not lose it.

But I'm with you on the other stuff, even the title of his thread doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Thanks for your response, I haven't worked in companies like this yet so I can only feel your aggravation through text. And from what you have told I have friends and family complain about the same crap about their jobs too hahaha
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #16
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
what are you trying to focus on?

industrial and municipal construction is always looking for mechanical engineers. have you tried hitting up some of those type of engineering firms?
I might have but this is new knowledge for me, but a there in companies in mind that can nudge me to the right direction? I'm very open to what I can apply for atm bc a job is priority. Thank you for your response.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #17
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
My specialty is medical equipments used for bioengineering, I have been applying but since the recent covid, their interview process is super lagging. All the opportunities I have received have fell through due to unknown reasons.

I have applied to over 500 jobs and emailed plenty of HR departments regarding my applications but it's just a hassle at the moment. They give half responses and don't really care for anything I say.

I have broadened my search for defense, Northrop, Raytheon, Lockheed; but they are difficult to get in contact with as well since they have no proper HR email where they respond effectively regarding to all the positions I am "under consideration" for.
Dont forget General Dynamics(NASSCO), BAE Systems, SWRMC (Southwest Regional Maintenance Center - Navy). Plenty of jobs in the shipyard.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #18
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
My specialty is medical equipments used for bioengineering, I have been applying but since the recent covid, their interview process is super lagging. All the opportunities I have received have fell through due to unknown reasons.

Take a look at some of the big medical manufacturers if you’re into bio-med. They always have engineering positions open with everything home-based. I work for one of the top dogs in the industry, and I doubt it matters where you live. One of my main schedulers for field workers is based in Seattle but works exclusively with eastern time zone districts as an example.

In my experience, especially with the new world of COVID, branch outside of new product design. I’m an ME and am so far removed from true engineering it’s crazy. My advice is to start applying for things you didn’t anticipate while going to school. MEs make great project managers for example. Want a leg up? Utilize that expensive piece of paper to get you in the door for a position you might be “over-qualified” for but at a company/industry you’re interested in. Once you’re in, work your way to get what you ACTUALLY want in due time. Be patient, companies love to hire from within.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #19
e90coast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Quote:

Take a look at some of the big medical manufacturers if you're into bio-med. They always have engineering positions open with everything home-based. I work for one of the top dogs in the industry, and I doubt it matters where you live. One of my main schedulers for field workers is based in Seattle but works exclusively with eastern time zone districts as an example.

In my experience, especially with the new world of COVID, branch outside of new product design. I'm an ME and am so far removed from true engineering it's crazy. My advice is to start applying for things you didn't anticipate while going to school. MEs make great project managers for example. Want a leg up? Utilize that expensive piece of paper to get you in the door for a position you might be "over-qualified" for but at a company/industry you're interested in. Once you're in, work your way to get what you ACTUALLY want in due time. Be patient, companies love to hire from within.
I will look into this thank you, thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #20
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I feel for you. When I graduated in 92, I had to deal with the recession at the time. After being picked up by a temp agency to just work, I took a step back and applied for an intern position I found at a local community college. Got an interview and was told I was way over qualified. I told them I was bored out of my mind and wanted to do something technical even if it was for a short time. The intern position was supposed to be for the summer only. In the end, I impressed them enough where they created a full time position for me. That was my stepping stone.

As far as defense contractors, it's going to be tough. In the spaces I used work, the government has been paring down the number of contractors with clearances. Defense contractors used to be more willing to hire someone with no clearance and put them through the process even though they may be straight overhead. Lockheed did this. Not sure if they still do. Now with this whole Covid situation I can imagine doing background checks can be more challenging.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #21
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
We hire mechanical engineers left and right...many out of school. Some get into project engineering, some start as sales engineers. Unfortunately though, we're on the other side of the US (Pittsburgh). But have many jobs going on in SoCal.

Willing to move to a nicer area ()...feel free to check us out.

Mitsubishi Electric
meppi.com - click on careers for what's open

Best of luck in your search, I know it's hard starting out...both my kids are going through the same thing right now.
      10-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #22
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Applied to 500 jobs? Wow. That's a lot. My spidey sense is tingling.
Appreciate 0