BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #23
Tenchu
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xDrive45e, 11' 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Just got a new X5 and Apple Maps directions are not showing up in HUD. Anything I need to select to make the happen? Only seeing speed, speed limit and tach.
Same issue. Just got my car 9/29/20. Can't check the car software version, since it's getting work on.

Last edited by Tenchu; 10-12-2020 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:53 PM   #24
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Sam issue. Just got my car 9/29/20. Can't check the car software version, since it's getting work on.
When you got the care and what its production date are can be somewhat irrelevant. Primarily, it matters which software version the car is running. Please report back with software version. If you are not up to 07/2020, this would likely be the cause.

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #25
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders17283 View Post
In iDrive go to CAR > SETTINGS > GENERAL SETTINGS > REMOTE SOFTWARE UPGRADE.

On the right it will say what your current software version is. What does it say?
My build date was 7/19/20 but it appears that I have a software version from months ago - 3/2020.69.

I also searched for new updates but it said "currently no update is available for your vehicle."

Do I really have to make an appt at the dealer for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #26
Saunders17283
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
My build date was 7/19/20 but it appears that I have a software version from months ago - 3/2020.69.

I also searched for new updates but it said "currently no update is available for your vehicle."

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident you cannot get AppleMaps in HUD unless you update to 07/2020.

Additionally, I don't believe you are able to get this update OTA which means you would need to make an appt at the dealer. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Previous Rides
2019 X7 / 2018 X5 / 2012 X5 / 2014 750xi / 2011 750Lxi / 2008 335xi
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #27
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly confident you cannot get AppleMaps in HUD unless you update to 07/2020.

Additionally, I don't believe you are able to get this update OTA which means you would need to make an appt at the dealer. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
That's for the info. Since most dealerships are clueless, does bmw publish these updates so that I can reference when going in?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #28
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong. But I remember reading somewhere that dealer won't update your software at your request unless you report certain bug that is fixed by the newer version.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #29
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
I use CP all the time, just not Apple Maps. I prefer to have a combo of TomTom in CP, and BMW nav running at the same time.

The BMW idrive nav integrates with the assisted driving so really need that running.

My ideal setup would be google maps from CP in HUD and integrated into assisted driving, but can't see that ever happening. Might get GM in HUD one day though
That would be my idea too. Still, Apple Maps working in HUD is a big breakthrough for me. One reason I'm trading in my X3 is cuz iDrive/Navigation is worthless. Seriously considered the Model Y (already have a Model 3) because everything just works on the Tesla (it just has the ride quality and noise of a 90s Hyundai).

I never use Apple Maps (usually use Google Maps and/or Waze) but I'll have to check it out and see if I do want Premium Package after all.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Quote:
I use CP all the time, just not Apple Maps. I prefer to have a combo of TomTom in CP, and BMW nav running at the same time.

The BMW idrive nav integrates with the assisted driving so really need that running.

My ideal setup would be google maps from CP in HUD and integrated into assisted driving, but can't see that ever happening. Might get GM in HUD one day though
That would be my idea too. Still, Apple Maps working in HUD is a big breakthrough for me. One reason I'm trading in my X3 is cuz iDrive/Navigation is worthless. Seriously considered the Model Y (already have a Model 3) because everything just works on the Tesla (it just has the ride quality and noise of a 90s Hyundai).

I never use Apple Maps (usually use Google Maps and/or Waze) but I'll have to check it out and see if I do want Premium Package after all.
You can kind of get Apple Maps and GM working together. If you start AM,navigate, then do the same with GM, you effectively have GM centre screen and AM in hud. They usually agree, but it can be useful to have a 2nd opinion. A bit like in the olden days when the missus was directing from a paper map, only less arguments

Just doesn't integrate into the assisted driving like idrive nav does. That said, you wouldn't want the car following some of the bmw nav's routes and reroutes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #31
rolllikero
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i 2020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Quote:

You can kind of get Apple Maps and GM working together. If you start AM,navigate, then do the same with GM, you effectively have GM centre screen and AM in hud. They usually agree, but it can be useful to have a 2nd opinion. A bit like in the olden days when the missus was directing from a paper map, only less arguments

Just doesn't integrate into the assisted driving like idrive nav does. That said, you wouldn't want the car following some of the bmw nav's routes and reroutes.
Hey guys! Can I link the HUD to a driver profile? Suppose I want it to work with one key / driver profile only. Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #32
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

From what I hear, there's a major update coming in November, and that one should be pushed to all applicable vehicles over time. You wouldn't want a million vehicles all requesting it at the same time! So, the update will be phased by markets.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #33
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Quote:

That's a great idea. To be honest, that's what I do now. I don't have Apple CarPlay on my X3 (well I did cuz I coded it, but dealer flashed the software during a service and now I need to code again using a cable and I don't wanna bother). I use BMW's navi but it sucks so I have the missus turn on GM on her phone and give me verbal directions. Sometimes I'll have Waze on my phone and prop it up on the instrument panel since I can get my speed on the HUD. The 3 usually never agree.
Appreciate 0