BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Video help request: Euro or Aussie rear foglight wiring

So, I ordered a new headlight switch, and both rear foglights.... only to dig into the taillights, and realize my car has no wiring going to where the rear foglights "would be"..... if my car had them.

Which means, I'm going to need splice in to an existing wire harness.... maybe?? Or maybe there's a separate wire harness that I need to buy? In either case, I really need to "see" what the wiring looks like in a car that has rear foglights from the factory.

Euro cars will (usually) be on the left side of the car. Australian cars will be on the right side. If anyone from either location would be willing to pull off that interior panel and snap a picture of what the wiring looks like.... I'd be really appreciative.

Here's a video of me essentially begging for help. Left side of my car. You can see the holes where a wiring harness "would go" (I think?) to the rear foglight..... but no wiring harness.

Help!!!

6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I can't remove the insulation. Is it glued? I'm also hesitant to tear it off.
But I took pictures. I see some blue wires in the cable beam that is splitted. I can't see this in your cable beam I think this is for the rear fog light?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Heavyd
Major
Rep

I took also a few pictures under the insulation
I can't see any wires going through the holes you mentioned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Thanks Geert. Very interesting..... 3 wires;
1) Brown
2) blue/grey stripe
3) solid blue (????)

Interesting because the foglights only have a terminal for 2 wires, not 3.

Do you have operative rear foglights on both sides, or just the driver side?

Pouring rain and dark right now... but I will definitely see if I can "translate" this to my car this weekend.

Thank you.... sincerely.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Thanks Geert. Very interesting..... 3 wires;
1) Brown
2) blue/grey stripe
3) solid blue (????)

Interesting because the foglights only have a terminal for 2 wires, not 3.

Do you have operative rear foglights on both sides, or just the driver side?

Pouring rain and dark right now... but I will definitely see if I can "translate" this to my car this weekend.

Thank you.... sincerely.
Yes, solid blue. if you look closely at the fifth picture you see that blue/grey wire is split.
you have
- blue/grey
- brown
- blue
- blue/grey
at the receiving end.

Fog light is only on the drivers side.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Yes, solid blue. if you look closely at the fifth picture you see that blue/grey wire is split.
you have
- blue/grey
- brown
- blue
- blue/grey
at the receiving end.

Fog light is only on the drivers side.
None of this makes sense to anyone but an electrical engineer... lol.

I was looking at a wiring diagram yesterday, and for the G05, there was a yellow/black wire to the driver side rear foglight..... and a yellow/red wire to the passenger side rear foglight..... and a BROWN ground to both.

I think anyway? Screenshot attached.

This blue/grey split wire thing has me beating my head against the wall. Especially since it appears those wires aren't going through the most logical place to get to the rear foglight.

What are the chances I could get you to pop your foglight out, and tell me what color wires are on the actual terminal that is connected to it? It's super simple, pull from the inside (closest to the tailgate), and pull outward. There's only 1 spring clip holding it in. No tools, no screws, nothing.

In fact, I've already "installed" both my rear foglight housings.... even though there are no wires going to them. Lol. It literally took 8 seconds per side.

On a positive note, I also installed the European headlight switch in the dashboard. When I push the rear foglight button, I get a notification on my dash that says "rear foglights not available". This is a GOOD thing, because it means my car is recognizing that the switch is being pressed (my 2016 340i wouldn't recognize anything until I had the car coded)

"Maybe" that means coding isn't required?

That is..... assuming I can figure out this wiring nightmare.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

So.... I brought the car to the local Belgian dealership, and in true fashion, I got the typical response: "It's not possibluuuhh" (in my worst possible French accent).

It's actually an ongoing joke how often you hear that in Southern Belgium when you require any sort of "service".

Nevertheless, I don't believe them. It is possible, I'm just going to have to figure it out on my own. I have learned a few things though:

1. Rear foglight wiring is run behind the rear bumper (along with the parking sensors

2. That wiring originates "somewhere" in the relay board on the right side of the trunk.

3. The wires to the left rear foglight (Europe) are yellow/black stripe.... and brown.

4. The wires to the right rear foglight (Australia, UK) are yellow/red stripe.... and brown.

I've attached a picture of my relay board. (Right side of trunk). There has to be "something" different in a non-US car that has rear foglights.

Can someone please snap a pic of their relay board, that has working rear foglights?

If you happen to see a harness, plug, etc that has either yellow/black + brown, or yellow/red + brown wires coming out of it (or both?).... can you please point it out to me?

I'd be eternally grateful.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 10-20-2020 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

On my last two BMWs (US), the rear fog lamps were actually already installed in the panel (a GT and an i3). On the GT, just changing the switch made them work. On the i3, while I never bought the switch, what I have heard from others that did, it required a software coding to enable them.

If you look at the switch assembly itself, none of the switches in there are actually running power to anything...the small wires power a small circuit board, backlighting, and a serial CANBUS signal comes out of the switch board that then tells a module back near the rear to turn the lamps on. On the GT, there were only three wires, power, ground, and a signal line that controlled all of the lights back there. Not sure on the X5 how that has evolved. On both the GT and the i3, rear fog lights came on both sides symmetrically. that might be able to be changed with software.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:34 AM   #9
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
On my last two BMWs (US), the rear fog lamps were actually already installed in the panel (a GT and an i3). On the GT, just changing the switch made them work. On the i3, while I never bought the switch, what I have heard from others that did, it required a software coding to enable them.

If you look at the switch assembly itself, none of the switches in there are actually running power to anything...the small wires power a small circuit board, backlighting, and a serial CANBUS signal comes out of the switch board that then tells a module back near the rear to turn the lamps on. On the GT, there were only three wires, power, ground, and a signal line that controlled all of the lights back there. Not sure on the X5 how that has evolved. On both the GT and the i3, rear fog lights came on both sides symmetrically. that might be able to be changed with software.
I've done rear fogs on my 2016 3 series, which required a switch and coding..... and my co-workers 2012 3-series, which only required a switch.

On those cars, the foglights are incorporated into the taillights. US versions are just "deactivated".

On the new X5... rear foglights are a completely different housing. US spec comes with reflectors, which must be removed, and replaced with bulb housings.

My new euro switch.... my car recognizes it. When I push the rear foglight button, my screen says "rear foglights not available right now".

I really need to see the relay board from someone who has rear foglights. Can someone please open their relay board (right side of trunk) and snap a picture?

Local BMW dealer can't figure it out..... of course.... local BMW dealer is a bunch of incompetent clowns as well. It took 3 different technicians, with my new brake caliper IN THEIR HANDS for over an hour.... top finally tell me "There's nothing we can do because the X5M isn't sold in Belgium".

Absolute dumbasses. That's why I have to figure this out on my own.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

So, I was fortunate enough to have someone send me a picture of their relay board..... and there is one key difference.... plain as day.

2 yellow wires coming out.... "maybe" they are the yellow/black and yellow/red wires intended for rear foglights?

Although.... I have no idea what that other plug on the bottom with a dozen wires going into it is. Any ideas?

As you can see.... my car doesn't have that plug. (Bottom picture)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

just another example of a European 45e...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy_00 View Post
just another example of a European 45e...

Thank you....

I assume you have a tow hitch? (The black vertical junction box toward the bottom)

Also..... I'm pretty convinced those two yellow wires go to the rear foglights. Not 100% sure though, because each yellow should go to a different side, and there should be a brown ground.

Honestly..... I'm lost.

I may need to wire an aftermarket switch..... but at least I can use the OEM foglights.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:48 AM   #13
Flippy_00
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 45e

Quote:
Thank you....

I assume you have a tow hitch? (The black vertical junction box toward the bottom)

Also..... I'm pretty convinced those two yellow wires go to the rear foglights. Not 100% sure though, because each yellow should go to a different side, and there should be a brown ground.
Yes i have the tow hitch

I tried to follow the 2 yellow wires, but there is no way to identify where they are going
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #14
Heavyd
Major
Rep

The left one is yellow brown and the right one is yellow green. But I have no clue where that spaghetti is going to without dismantling the rear of the car
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:56 AM   #15
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
The left one is yellow brown and the right one is yellow green. But I have no clue where that spaghetti is going to without dismantling the rear of the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy_00 View Post
Yes i have the tow hitch

I tried to follow the 2 yellow wires, but there is no way to identify where they are going
Thanks folks for your help. I appreciate it, sincerely. Yellow/brown and yellow/green aren't the right colors for the rear foglight anyway...... so they must be going somewhere else, to something else. Plus, there's that larger plug underneath it that I don't have at all.

I give up. I'll just have to wire an aftermarket switch, with a 12v 21w relay, and wire it in to the OEM rear foglight housings. Not what I wanted to do, but I'm not even sure this is possible at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #16
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
I give up. I'll just have to wire an aftermarket switch, with a 12v 21w relay, and wire it in to the OEM rear foglight housings. Not what I wanted to do, but I'm not even sure this is possible at this point.
Edit: I just noticed I was late to the discussion so please disregard if you have completed this project....

Don't give up yet. The fog wires (one for each fog light) must be run to the BDC_BODY located in the front passenger side footwell of the vehicle. You already found the schematic that identifies where the wires connect (connector and pins) to the BDC_BODY.

You will also need to FDL code BDC_BODY to enable the LHD and RHD rear fogs. As you have already noted, there is normally only one rear fog (on the driver's side of the vehicle) so it will take a little work to identifying how to code BDC_BODY to enable both rear fogs but I can help you with that. Do you have experience with Esys?

FYI, I installed the rear fog (only one side) on my G20. The install for your G05 appears to be similar to my G20 but for the G20, the rear fog is integrated into the tail light assembly so I had to install ECE taillights and figure out how to FDL code the ECE taillights to work in the US G20.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=86
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=90

Installing rear fogs into your G05 should be a relatively straight forward process.

Larry

Last edited by larrylam646; 11-17-2020 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #17
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Edit: I just noticed I was late to the discussion so please disregard if you have completed this project....

Don't give up yet. The fog wires (one for each fog light) must be run to the BDC_BODY located in the front passenger side footwell of the vehicle. You already found the schematic that identifies where the wires connect (connector and pins) to the BDC_BODY.

You will also need to FDL code BDC_BODY to enable the LHD and RHD rear fogs. As you have already noted, there is normally only one rear fog (on the driver's side of the vehicle) so it will take a little work to identifying how to code BDC_BODY to enable both rear fogs but I can help you with that. Do you have experience with Esys?

FYI, I installed the rear fog (only one side) on my G20. The install for your G05 appears to be similar to my G20 but for the G20, the rear fog is integrated into the tail light assembly so I had to install ECE taillights and figure out how to FDL code the ECE taillights to work in the US G20.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=86
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=90

Installing rear fogs into your G05 should be a relatively straight forward process.

Larry
Thanks..... but I live in a country that cannot even manage to look up a set of caliper bolts for an X5M.... unless I have a VIN number..... and even when I do have a VIN.... they told me they couldn't order the bolts because "The X5M isn't sold in Belgium".

Which.... it is sold in Belgium.... That particular dealer had just never seen one. Not kidding..... the Belgian BMW dealer, doesn't even know what kind of BMWs are sold in Belgium. I couldn't make this up.

By the way, this was THREE of their top mechanics, with my brake caliper IN THEIR HANDS..... and this was the answer I got.

At least they were honest when they spent THREE HOURS with my car trying to figure out rear foglight wiring.... and they gave it back and said "it cannot be done"

Absolute.... incompetent.... morons.

While I'm capable of running the wiring, I can't get a straight answer from anyone on which relays I would need..... nor do I trust the local BMW dealer to even touch my car. If I knew the EXACT part numbers for the correct wiring harnesses, and correct relays.... I would do it. Byt the information just doesn't exist, and I cannot locate anyone competent enough to tell me what I need.

I'm going to run an aftermarket fused switch, and wire them directly into the OEM rear foglights. It may not be the "right" way.... but it's the best I can do with the circumstances I have.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 11-23-2020 at 05:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 04:25 AM   #18
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Hi Guys,

Been following this thread with interest as I'm also trying to add a second rear fog light. Fortunately, here in the UK, the car is fitted with one already.

Just by way of investigation I've sourced a second fog light, and the necessary connectors and tested the theory of connecting the second fog light in parallel with the first one. Trying to eliminate the need to code anything to get the second fog light working. I can confirm that this does work. Both fog lights light up at the correct intensity and no codes appear from the car when it is off, and when the engine is running. This would seem to suggest that, if I can find a route to the cavity behind the second fog light, I can run additional wiring into it and – job done.

Here’s my question – has anyone found a route into the rear bumper, behind the fog light, from within the rear of the car. My investigation so far seems to suggest the wiring for the fog lights is hidden in/behind the bumper and doesn’t appear anywhere in the rear cavities/stowage compartments on either side at the rear.

Any (helpful) suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #19
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So... Been trying to find time to investigate adding a second fog light for a while. My initial investigations concluded that you can power a second rear fog light from the existing one without generating a fault code or diminishing the brightness of the fog lights.

Took a little digging but I was able to route a new cable from the new left fog light, into the boot by the battery. There is a convenient earth stud here so used that for the fog light earth. I then followed the existing wiring loom to the right side cubby in the boot.

I identified the correct wire to the existing fog light in the wiring loom (Yellow - red trace), tapped into it and it worked.
Attached Images

12-10-2020, 12:57 AM   #20
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Thanks. Unfortunately, my car didnt even come with the wiring for 1 rear foglight..... much less two.

From what I understand.... there is a harness that runs from the fuse box by the passenger footwell to the rear relay box, and a relay of some sort, and then another harness that runs from the relay to the lights themselves.

To date, no one has been able to confirm this, or been able to provide me with correct part numbers. Not even BMW. They've actually been the LEAST helpful.

Still waiting to install an aftermarket harness, but I'm wiring it to OEM lights. At least it will "look" correct
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #21
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kas63 View Post
So... Been trying to find time to investigate adding a second fog light for a while. My initial investigations concluded that you can power a second rear fog light from the existing one without generating a fault code or diminishing the brightness of the fog lights.

Took a little digging but I was able to route a new cable from the new left fog light, into the boot by the battery. There is a convenient earth stud here so used that for the fog light earth. I then followed the existing wiring loom to the right side cubby in the boot.

I identified the correct wire to the existing fog light in the wiring loom (Yellow - red trace), tapped into it and it worked.

Thats amazing man. Can you share the part number for the fog light if you have it. im looking for the passenger side (UK driver side fog light) as mine was dummy light. do you remember how much it was by any chance? Did you take any pics?

OP - i very much want to help but im not sure what pics you need for me to take as I have euro spec G05 (in the middle east) .

Last edited by Silver.Solid; 12-13-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #22
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the reflector with fog light was €120.00. Took a little effort to route the wiring but only took about an hour. See the image I've attached for the original UK right hand fog light, the one you need I think.

Anything else you want to know, just ask.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1