BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 21'' X6MC (F96)

Coding via ENET Cable - the basics

After many hours of reading, I have decided to take the plunge and enter the world of coding...

I decided to go for bimmercode just to get familiarised and use ENET cable instead of wireless OBD... I went for an USB-C adapter just to make sure I could plug my laptop / iPad / laptop (when I decide to get started with E-SYS).

I know I might sound like an ignorant but... how do you guys plug the ENET cable ? I mean I tried but it just does not seem to stick /fit properly.

I mean, mine don't seem to fit properly and, once plugged, it's a- not recognized with bimmercode app on my Android phone (using USB-C adapter) and b- extremely difficult to unplug (I had to remove the cover to access the socket more comfortably because no matter how strong I'd try to pull, it would not disconnect.

I reckon this is a very basic question but... let me know what I am doing wrong. Is there a specific technique ? I would not want to end up going to the dealer asking them to remove it for me...

I'm adding a few picture of OBD connection in my car.

Config: BMW X6 G06 MY20
ENET Cable + USB-C adapter
Bimmercode via Android Phone (OnePlus Nord) with settings set on ENET Cable
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

It should be very straightforward and almost effortless to connect the cable to the port. Show is a picture of the cable you're using

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Becuase of the shape of the port, it's either going to connect or it won't. You can't mess it up. You may be trying to "meathead" the plug and pushing it in further than it really needs to. It should only take a small amount of force to install and take out - maybe about 5 pounds or less.

As far as bimmercode not connecting - make sure you have it setup to use the enet adapter and not another adapter. My setup is enet to lightning because I have an iPhone - works every time.

once you have the adapter plugged in, I always put the car in diagnostic mode - I don't think this is required anymore, but I do it anyway. To put the car in diagnostic mode simply press the start engine button 3 times (without having your foot on the break pedal). You should see "diagnostic mode" pop up at the bottom of the gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your responses.

I really wish it was easy but I promise this is not plugging correctly.

Here are the pictures of the cable I am using.

I know this sounds dumb but I think I know how to plug a cable.

Do you think I should contact BMW ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

That shape doesn't look accurate to me. It should be shaped like this:

The one in your post has one side the is straight down and not on an angle.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #6
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
That shape doesn't look accurate to me. It should be shaped like this:
[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg[/IMG]

The one in your post has one side the is straight down and not on an angle.
That's just a bad photo. It is frustrating when someone asks for help based on a photo, yet doesn't take the care to take a useful photo. Anyway, with some level adjustments in that photo, the shell shape is right. I don't like that the pins look round and should actually be slightly flat, but again, maybe that's just a crappy photo.

OP, please take and post CLEAR AND WELL LIT photos of your cable connector and of your car OBD port.
Attached Images

10-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ahhh lol after seeing that lit photo the shape is indeed correct, but the issue seems to be coming from the round pins

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #8
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Also, I don't believe we've had anyone report that USB-C to Ethernet adapters ever worked with Bimmercode and has not worked in my own testing. Lightning to Ethernet on iPhones works great, but USB-C to Ethernet on Android phones is unproven to work. USB-C to Ethernet on a Windows laptop should work fine for ESys, however.
      10-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Ok, I just noticed the car OBD pics in original post. Those are probably good enough quality to comment. The connector is as expected, no issue. But I think I am seeing the lock plastic deformed or damaged and that might be just enough to make for difficult insertion.
Attached Images

10-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #10
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks again for your responses and apologies for the picture - this is due to a cheap phone and bad lighting in the basement garage.

Just to avoid confusion, here is a picture of the cable from the seller.

I purchased this cable on Amazon with this link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I understand this is untested before as far as bimmercode recognizing my car with the adapter but I believe the problem is actually due to the cable not being plugged *correctly* on the OBD part.

On a side note:
- I used to have this Cybex carseat sensorsafe dongle plugged in in the car before that. It was plugged in very simply but extremely difficult to unplug for some reason (I think there was a clip on the side preventing a simple pull to unplug).

- Not that it matters but I went for the ethernet to USB-C adapter because it caters for many options (Laptop for ESYS, iPad Pro and Android phones...). I'm going to order a Ethernet to lightning once I'm able to actually plug the ENET cable properly.

Thanks all for your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

I notice the cable title on Amazon says 'F-series' but I went with what the bimmercode website itself recommended... i.e. using their link.

LexxM3 : do you think that the deformed/damaged side can be the issue ? It may make it slightly harder to plug but not impossible... no?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consuldean View Post
I notice the cable title on Amazon says 'F-series' but I went with what the bimmercode website itself recommended... i.e. using their link.

LexxM3 : do you think that the deformed/damaged side can be the issue ? It may make it slightly harder to plug but not impossible... no?
The F-series cable should be fine and correct. Some vendors have updated to include the G-series statement, but most are sufficiently careless to not have done so. But there is little to no magic in that cable and the OBD-II mechanical connector shape is completely standard for 25 +/- 1 years now.

Yes, mechanical damage can cause a little trouble. The reason your last adapter was hard to unplug is because the damaged part is a lock and you likely didn't press on the right spot to unlock it. Hence the damage.

At this point, get a decent flashlight, climb into the footwell, and observe the insertion directly to verify.

I personally think it's the USB-C interface that doesn't work in Bimmercode on either Android or iPad Pro — has not (yet) been proven to work in past testing on either hardware, I believe.
      10-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #13
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
The F-series cable should be fine and correct. Some vendors have updated to include the G-series statement, but most are sufficiently careless to not have done so. But there is little to no magic in that cable and the OBD mechanical shape is completely standard for a couple of decades now.

Yes, mechanical damage can cause a little trouble. The reason your last adapter was hard to unplug is because the damaged part is a lock and you likely didn't press on the right spot to unlock it. Hence the damage.

At this point, get a decent flashlight, climb into the footwell, and observe the insertion directly to verify.

I personally think it's the USB-C interface that doesn't work in Bimmercode on either Android or iPad Pro — has not (yet) been proven to work in past testing on either hardware, I believe.
Trust me - I did that... I don't want to force too much either risking to damage the port. But at the same time, I don't see myself going to the dealer with the cable asking him to plug it.

I'm due for service in November... maybe I'll wait until then to see if they'll try to plug their system there as well. Or just try again.

I'll keep you all informed either way.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The F-series cable should be fine and correct. Some vendors have updated to include the G-series statement, but most are sufficiently careless to not have done so. But there is little to no magic in that cable and the OBD mechanical shape is completely standard for a couple of decades now.

Trust me - I did that... I don't want to force too much either risking to damage the port. But at the same time, I don't see myself going to the dealer with the cable asking him to plug it.

I'm due for service in November... maybe I'll wait until then to see if they'll try to plug their system there as well. Or just try again.

I'll keep you all informed either way.
I think you should try again. Go in with a blade to clean up the lock plastic damage a little and then observe insertion. Not crazy force, but a little firm.

I wanted to make sure that all your populated socket pins were still the same as mine (nothing got pulled out) and they are. Also, your metal contacts all look fine as well (and notice that they are flat, not round, hence the comment about flat pins on the cable male pins — double check that). Here is my car connector.
Attached Images

10-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #15
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

this is good to know - thanks for taking the time and sharing your port's pictures - it is reassuring that I did not damage anything.

Will give it another try tomorrow and try to confirm that you're right about the USB-C adapter.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
this is good to know - thanks for taking the time and sharing your port's pictures - it is reassuring that I did not damage anything.

Will give it another try tomorrow and try to confirm that you're right about the USB-C adapter.
👍 It's also probably good to keep in mind that automotive is just short of marine, aerospace, and military — they all tend to design connectors for rough handling and rough environments.
      10-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #17
Consuldean
Private First Class
Rep

A quick update to mention that the cable and the connection works now.

Interestingly enough, choosing ENET cable in the bimmercode option list does *not* work... I had to try with the ''black cable'' option.

So we can confirm as well that using the ENET cable + ethernet to USB-C on iPad Pro works for Bimmercode.

I'm still not feeling comfortable with the way the cable plugs into the OBD port of the car... Since there is no clip, I always fear it can get disconnected rather (too) easily.

Thanks to those that helped me figuring things out!
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      10-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #18
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Also, I don't believe we've had anyone report that USB-C to Ethernet adapters ever worked with Bimmercode and has not worked in my own testing. Lightning to Ethernet on iPhones works great, but USB-C to Ethernet on Android phones is unproven to work. USB-C to Ethernet on a Windows laptop should work fine for ESys, however.
While I much prefer to use ESYS for coding .... "in a pinch" is use a USB-C to Ethernet adapter with my iPad Pro and BimmerCode app
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 04:02 AM   #19
has128
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730iL, BMW X6 M50i

Stumped into this post out of desperation, I am in the exact same situation as the OP (couple of years later!).

Config: BMW X6 G06 MY20
ENET Cable + USB-C adapter

The same ENET cable is working fine on my 2014 F02, however, on my G06 it just does not fit properly.

I am starting to think there is something about the port itself in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #20
IFlyX5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5 s40i, '22 X5 x45e

I know this thead has outdated info, but the Ethernet-to-USC-C adapter works perfectly with BimmerCode. I have been using it to code my X5's using my iPad Pro.
      04-28-2022, 03:05 PM   #21
J650
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i G05

Also, make sure to enable "Ethernet Tethering" on your phone (under connections on Android). Then the USB to ethernet cable connection should light up.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #22
Kas63
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Probably not going to add much to this conversation but I use Ethernet/USB-C on my Android phone (Samsung galaxy S21 ultra) and Android tablet (Galaxy Tab S7) with Bimmercode and it works seamlessly everytime.

Just need to put the device into flight mode first and then enable the ethernet setting.

I always put the car in diagnostic mode as well.