BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
puckhead85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp, Lexus GS

Dash cam suggestions

Was looking at added a dash cam (front and rear) and wanted to know what you were using? I was looking at the Blackvue's. My installer suggested the Thinkware U1000. I never heard of it before but it seems to get good reviews. The radar module looks interesting. Don't know which way to go. Thoughts?
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Kas6379.50
      10-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead85 View Post
Was looking at added a dash cam (front and rear) and wanted to know what you were using? I was looking at the Blackvue's. My installer suggested the Thinkware U1000. I never heard of it before but it seems to get good reviews. The radar module looks interesting. Don't know which way to go. Thoughts?
Thanks!
Lots of threads on this, but it depends on the features you want. Essentially your choices are:

(1.) Blackvue (x-series maybe)
(2.) Thinkware U1000
(3.) Viofo

they all have tradeoffs - for example the viofo is much cheaper with better image quality, but doesn't have all of the cloud and parking features. Thinkware has some unique parking features (radar mode, energy saving mode), blackvue has some new cellular features.

Personally I'm probably going with a thinkware and 2 celllink batteries installed off the rear fuse box as I need the parking features, but YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Lots of threads on this, but it depends on the features you want. Essentially your choices are:

(1.) Blackvue (x-series maybe)
(2.) Thinkware U1000
(3.) Viofo

they all have tradeoffs - for example the viofo is much cheaper with better image quality, but doesn't have all of the cloud and parking features. Thinkware has some unique parking features (radar mode, energy saving mode), blackvue has some new cellular features.

Personally I'm probably going with a thinkware and 2 celllink batteries installed off the rear fuse box as I need the parking features, but YMMV.
Why do G05 owners only have those three options? If I just want a small, simple, discreet camera to have while driving there are no other choices that can be hardwired in? I don't need cloud storage, parking mode, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
Why do G05 owners only have those three options? If I just want a small, simple, discreet camera to have while driving there are no other choices that can be hardwired in? I don't need cloud storage, parking mode, etc.
I was just making it simple given what you wrote - if you don't need the other stuff then get nothing and use BMW's built-in drive recorder.
Appreciate 0