BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-02-2023, 08:42 AM   #1
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

iDrive 8.5 - CarPlay works, but constantly drops from screen???

OK, after a dealer update to 8.5, my CarPlay works, but the screen, after a few seconds, constantly defaults to another screen (Maps, etc.).

Even if I just leave the CarPlay home screen up, it disappears after a few seconds

I can navigate CarPlay without issue, and everything works in CarPlay, but it still disappears.

I do not have anything running in the background either.

This never happened w/ iDrive 8.

Any tips?

Thank you in advance...

Oh yes, it's an iPhone 14 pro, w/ the latest software....so no phone differences between iDrive 8 when it worked and iDrive 8.5 when it now doesn't.

Last edited by Raikkonen; 10-02-2023 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: omission
Appreciate 1
1230vani660.00
      10-02-2023, 02:24 PM   #2
aadam409
Registered
Rep

Fixing iDrive 8.5 and Apple CarPlay issue

I recently switched from iDrive 8 to iDrive 8.5 in my 2024 X5 M60i and had a similar issue but fixed it after completing these few steps:

1. Once the new system software is installed (5.5 hours at the local dealer!), do a hard reset of the iDrive system. Clear out all the previous phone connections and start from the beginning to pair your phone.

2. When connecting the Apple iPhone 14 Pro to iDrive 8.5, you have to install CarPlay separately by following this sequence on the phone:

On your iPhone, select your GENERAL settings icon and find CarPlay 6 slots down from the top under Picture in Picture.

It is only then that the phone searches for the CarPlay connection to iDrive 8.5. On your phone, it will say MY CAR and the last five digits of your VIN will pop up. Select the vehicle and make sure CarPlay is switched on.
Appreciate 1
Raikkonen338.50
      10-02-2023, 03:22 PM   #3
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam409 View Post
I recently switched from iDrive 8 to iDrive 8.5 in my 2024 X5 M60i and had a similar issue but fixed it after completing these few steps:

1. Once the new system software is installed (5.5 hours at the local dealer!), do a hard reset of the iDrive system. Clear out all the previous phone connections and start from the beginning to pair your phone.

2. When connecting the Apple iPhone 14 Pro to iDrive 8.5, you have to install CarPlay separately by following this sequence on the phone:

On your iPhone, select your GENERAL settings icon and find CarPlay 6 slots down from the top under Picture in Picture.

It is only then that the phone searches for the CarPlay connection to iDrive 8.5. On your phone, it will say MY CAR and the last five digits of your VIN will pop up. Select the vehicle and make sure CarPlay is switched on.
Crazy! I just did this verbatim, and it worked!!!! Thank you!
Appreciate 0