08-23-2018, 09:18 AM   #23
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Their annual report is a fascinating read. Love how they report many of their results in terms of V8s and V12s. Also surprised by revenues generated by sales other than cars. Here’s a link for those that are interest...

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...-f12312017.htm
Thanks for sharing! Very cool to see the breakdown by engine type and how they define their own market... “Within the luxury goods market, we define our target market for luxury performance cars as two-door cars powered by engines producing more than 500 hp and selling at a retail price in excess of Euro 150,000 (including VAT).”
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #24
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
This is about cars...yknow Suzuki still makes a ton of cars just not for the US market
Yes. But both Suzuki and BMW have their powersports divisions which add to the overall corporate bottom line. This is why I said I wonder how much of the powersports division makes up their over all revenue and profits. With powersports, the discounting tends to be less aggressive than with cars hence my correlation in thinking the powersports division is helping bolster their overall profit numbers.
Suzuki's bikes are a much larger percent of sales in the US as the car division has been retreating lately.

Also, BMW has refreshed the line up a lot more than Suzuki. Since they can constantly reduce the manufacturing cost it's not surprising they can make more per car. However their sales are lower in general.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #25
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Being the most profitable company simply means we're paying relatively more than consumers of other cars. That's pretty generalized, of course. A company could have more efficient processes in place that makes their operation more profitable without sacrificing quality. But assuming they're on a level playing field with Merc and Audi, BMW having the highest profit margin is nothing that we as consumers should be celebrating.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #26
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I tried to name a single Suzuki car without googling, and failed
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #27
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Suzuki's bikes are a much larger percent of sales in the US as the car division has been retreating lately.
Much larger as in 100 percent larger. Suzuki pulled out of selling cars in North America (yes, Canada, too) a number of years ago.

Once again: This is four-wheeler sales only, people. Bikes are not part of this equation. Think outside your own damn boxes.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #28
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Much larger as in 100 percent larger. Suzuki pulled out of selling cars in North America (yes, Canada, too) a number of years ago.

Once again: This is four-wheeler sales only, people. Bikes are not part of this equation. Think outside your own damn boxes.
I only say this because I'm pointing out that Suzuki may have a larger profit margin however they sell way wayess cars and the US market limited to mostly bikes which don't count.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I only say this because I'm pointing out that Suzuki may have a larger profit margin however they sell way wayess cars and the US market limited to mostly bikes which don't count.
Dude. There's no 'less' cars. There's ZERO cars. Except for ATVs, it stopped selling four-wheeled vehicles here in early 2013. And that applies to all of North America, not just the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #30
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Dude. There's no 'less' cars. There's ZERO cars. Except for ATVs, it stopped selling four-wheeled vehicles here in early 2013. And that applies to all of North America, not just the U.S.
0 is less lol, but yeah I didn't realize it was zero
Appreciate 0