09-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #67
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRL View Post
First thing I thought of when I saw the pics of the front in more detail was the Mille Miglia Concept from years ago. I love how the large new grills on these new designs are a throwback to those old tall grills from BMW of the past. They actually work IMO
I'm all about heritage and continuing an iconic legacy. But at this point with these new electric cars/vehicles there is NO need for any grill whatsoever, especially one that doesn't complement the overall exterior design. Just make these cars look sleek and cool!
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
      09-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #68
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Quote:
First thing I thought of when I saw the pics of the front in more detail was the Mille Miglia Concept from years ago. I love how the large new grills on these new designs are a throwback to those old tall grills from BMW of the past. They actually work IMO
I'm all about heritage and continuing an iconic legacy. But at this point with these new electric cars/vehicles there is NO need for any grill whatsoever, especially one that doesn't complement the overall exterior design. Just make these cars look sleek and cool!
You really think people would let BMW get away without a grill? Please, they're having coronaries about them being as huge as they are. There is no "grill" on these i/electric cars, it's just the outline of the grill, there are no slats
      09-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #69
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
Kill it with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #70
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
The kidneys look way better being joined in the center.
Attached Images

09-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #71
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
It looks like a crossover. I am already bored
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:12 AM   #72
bm3rmy
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 2.0D

This looks like crap to me.
When they try to hard, this comes out.
I don't see any good looking thing in this.
Porsche has a style, a line base on what they create new models and they look cool.
Bmw has nothing. They just make strange and unnecessary boxes with 1 million lines.
Sorry but for me the past is with Bmw sport sedans, but the future looks more promising on other sides.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 12:54 AM   #73
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Quote:
You really think people would let BMW get away without a grill? Please, they're having coronaries about them being as huge as they are. There is no "grill" on these i/electric cars, it's just the outline of the grill, there are no slats
That's my whole point just aluminate the whole damn thing. It is unnecessary, there is NO rule that these massive "outlines" have to be on these electric vehicles. If it's non-functional, then there's no need for this hideous design element.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:09 AM   #74
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Well luckily it's just a vision, but they need to tone down the design of the kidneys... Just not a balanced look.

Would love this as our second car though.
      09-05-2018, 02:34 AM   #75
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

Why discuss a grille that won't even look like this on the production model

Anyway...
According to AutoMotorUndSport, this car will be named i5 and have op to 750km (465 miles) range, which would be impressive if true.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...m-elektroauto/
Appreciate 2
H.I.T409.50
      09-05-2018, 03:52 AM   #76
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Attached Images

09-05-2018, 03:58 AM   #77
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:
You are late to the party BMW, driving this baby around. The future is here with i-pace from Jaguar.

pretty sure the "future" should be defined by a car that can do better than a 65% of the claimed WLTP range.

i'm sure BMW will do better with iNEXT vs the debacle of i3 and i8. I'm hoping I can get rid of my model 3 and get back into a proper BMW EV in the near future.
Again you are late to the party. The SW was update last Friday. This is the finished FW, and it does give this car the correct range. Last week this was mentioned in a pressrelease. ;-)
Being first doesn't matter. Being better matters more.
      09-05-2018, 04:14 AM   #78
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

eDrive: that's the i4, totally different model.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #79
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DCG780.50
      09-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #80
bm3rmy
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 2.0D

I belive bmw obseses with details and don't see the big picture.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #81
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are late to the party BMW, driving this baby around. The future is here with i-pace from Jaguar.

pretty sure the "future" should be defined by a car that can do better than a 65% of the claimed WLTP range.

i'm sure BMW will do better with iNEXT vs the debacle of i3 and i8. I'm hoping I can get rid of my model 3 and get back into a proper BMW EV in the near future.
Again you are late to the party. The SW was update last Friday. This is the finished FW, and it does give this car the correct range. Last week this was mentioned in a pressrelease. ;-)
Attached Images

09-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #82
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Except when it comes to things like smart phones, computers, computer software, websites, planes, luxury watches, thousands of other things, and of course cars too...
      09-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #83
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

The iNext looks fine to me. Having it be a crossover makes sense as it would be much more viable in several wealthy global markets.

My only problem is the length of time until production. The market is getting filled out over the next 18 months and I'm not sure that the iX3 is futuristic enough to draw people away from the iPace abs new Merc EQ.

Seems like BMW was first to market then Tesla made it rethink strategy and timeline. This retool has cost valuable time and market share.

Personally, I want a performance BEV with few compromises, that can get 250 miles of spirited driving, hope that will be the i4, but don't know at this point. The Taycan may end up with my money and take me out of the market for at least 3 years.

I have no further desire for an ICE and I think BMW underestimated the speed of this transition for enthusiasts.

With that said, these next few EVs from BMW need to come quickly and serve as benchmarks before Tesla gets their shit together and Porsche corners the market.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #84
spatterson007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 328i

Just came from a cool guest speaker event at my University. This professor who has been in the automotive industry his whole life explained why electric cars will not replace combustion engines. At least from a fuel economy and efficiency standpoint, not in the next 50 years. He showed all the energy that is lost from the factory to the energy left getting to the wheels in both scenarios and straight electric cars (not hybrids) are actually less "energy efficient". With the consumer push for fuel economy and efficiency, electric motors are still behind the competition. Was a very interesting presentation.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      09-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #85
StayClassy7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

The front grill looks like someone drew it on.
      09-10-2018, 09:21 AM   #86
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatterson007 View Post
Just came from a cool guest speaker event at my University. This professor who has been in the automotive industry his whole life explained why electric cars will not replace combustion engines. At least from a fuel economy and efficiency standpoint, not in the next 50 years. He showed all the energy that is lost from the factory to the energy left getting to the wheels in both scenarios and straight electric cars (not hybrids) are actually less "energy efficient". With the consumer push for fuel economy and efficiency, electric motors are still behind the competition. Was a very interesting presentation.
So? Has this professor a name? What university, which faculty?

Look, I'm listening regularly to Prof. Dudenhöffer, the most respected "Car Pope" in the world. And his opinions are not that kind of nebulous statements your'e referring to.
Your pro - if it really exists, what I doubt - is completely wrong and seems to have no idea at all.

Edit: However, it is not so bad if the US falls behind in this regard. This opens up great opportunities for us in Europe and China.

Last edited by BigT; 09-10-2018 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: additional text
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #87
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So? Has this professor a name? What university, which faculty?

Look, I'm listening regularly to Prof. Dudenhöffer, the most respected "Car Pope" in the world. And his opinions are not that kind of nebulous statements your'e referring to.
Your pro - if it really exists, what I doubt - is completely wrong and seems to have no idea at all.

Edit: However, it is not so bad if the US falls behind in this regard. This opens up great opportunities for us in Europe and China.
What doesn't seem to be counted in is that, for the most part, the evolution of the ICE is over but for small improvements. Honestly I don't think that my cars have improved more than 3-4 mpg (real world) on the average in the last 10 years. For purely combustion engine, we may get another 2-3 mpg in the next few years, if that.

However battery technology is evolving at an incredible pace, and is likely to continue to do so in the next 10 years.

I could be wrong, but to me it seems that electric will win this race, and not in the far future.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #88
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Teaser.
Attached Images

Closed Thread