BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
Mwell24
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xdrive

Month Wait on Windshield Replacement

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I recently was driving down the highway in my less than 2 month old X5 and a large metal object flew of a truck or got kicked up and hit my windshield hard enough to where there’s a hole I can stick my finger through. After talking to my dealership they said I 100% should get it fixed through them because of the sensors, other built in features, warranty, along with the alignment that needs to get done. The quote was pretty high $3850 but that’s not the biggest issue. They said this glass is on back order and has to ship from Germany and will take at least a month. As I said earlier there’s a literal hole I’d say almost the size of a quarter so if it’s raining or something obviously the rain will get in the car. Since BMW is telling me that I should get this done through them even though I have to wait a month shouldn’t they provide me with a loaner in the meantime ? My insurance will pay 80% of a rental but still after a month that adds up especially if I’m trying to get something close to what I am currently driving. Yesterday the dealership told me next available loaner is July 17th. Looking for any type of insight or advice. Thanks ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I would try speaking to the service manager. Clearly, your car can't be driven. You should be given priority over those coming in for scheduled service. It's worth a shot. Good luck.
      06-22-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

loaners are up to the discretion of wherever you bring it.....mwell, check your policy. presuming you're going against your comp. loaner, you may be only be covered 30
days for the loaner , fwiw.

If you have glass coverage, why not just get it done through a glass shop. Have you checked to see what their response is or ability on inventory...whether it be OE or 3rd party. Most decent glass shops will go to BAT for you and do a claim on OE on a new vehicle. YMMV on the glass claims dept of your insure. company on whether they approve

Then if you must, continue with the comp. claim you have @ the dealership .

Last edited by chefwong; 06-22-2022 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
Chk_ris
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwell24 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I recently was driving down the highway in my less than 2 month old X5 and a large metal object flew of a truck or got kicked up and hit my windshield hard enough to where there’s a hole I can stick my finger through. After talking to my dealership they said I 100% should get it fixed through them because of the sensors, other built in features, warranty, along with the alignment that needs to get done. The quote was pretty high $3850 but that’s not the biggest issue. They said this glass is on back order and has to ship from Germany and will take at least a month. As I said earlier there’s a literal hole I’d say almost the size of a quarter so if it’s raining or something obviously the rain will get in the car. Since BMW is telling me that I should get this done through them even though I have to wait a month shouldn’t they provide me with a loaner in the meantime ? My insurance will pay 80% of a rental but still after a month that adds up especially if I’m trying to get something close to what I am currently driving. Yesterday the dealership told me next available loaner is July 17th. Looking for any type of insight or advice. Thanks ahead of time.
I just had my windshield replaced on my m50i. I was initially told by Perma Plate that it would take a month as well. It ended up taking a week to get a OEM windshield.

Hope this is the case for you as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
POOPCORN
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2019 40i here. As approaching to the 4th year, I have replaced 2 pieces of the windshield glass. Now, the 3rd one is cracked again, will replace soon.

OEM came with the car cracked in 2020 Feb, called dealer, replaced under my BMW appearance warranty, still waited a full month back then. The second OEM windshield cracked again in 2021 Jan. And this time, I decided to go with local glass shop since I have a glass insurance. Now the third party w/s is cracked again...

I think I saw someone posted a thread about the poor quality OEM windshield in the general topic. I have a admit that those windshield glass is poorly made.

I would say if you cannot wait a month, and some of your shop have them in stock, then just go ahead with the local glass shop. There is no huge difference between aftermarket and OEM.

I personally have a third party insurance, which allows me only paying $50 deduct to replace the windshield.

And about the loaner car, my local dealer always tells me there is a month of waiting since this pandemic started. Before that, it was only a couple days of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
JerZBMerLife
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
I've replaced two different previously leased vehicles windshields with SafeLite and turned the cars in with NO issues. I will never pay dealership prices for that. Both cars had advanced radar and all that too. I would try them. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 10:05 PM   #7
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Nope. Dealer is not responsible for your loaner on a windshield or accident repair. Its nice if they give you on, but since its a insurance repair your insurance covers the loaner. If your dealer can help you out, that's great but its not their responsibility. They are not making you repair it there, but offering their opinion and suggestions. You are free to go wherever you want and they definitely won't have a loaner program at a non-dealer. I would repair it there given the sensors, HUD, and desire for OEM glass.
      06-26-2022, 06:59 AM   #8
Mwell24
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xdrive

Update: head of service department called me on Wednesday and said he found a windshield in Jacksonville and all he needed from me was a green light to try and get it shipped to his dealership. Obviously I was ecstatic but also very curious why no one else could see this before. He called me back and said it wasn’t available and that it was a windshield someone had already waited for it was just showing in the system as available but was in fact not. So we were back to waiting a month as our only option. I brought it up that my car was un-drivable and that my insurance would only cover 80% of a rental and 5-6 weeks of that adds so I really need you to provide a loaner to me. He asked for pics to confirm the hole in windshield then called me back and said he worked out a deal with another customer who had ordered a windshield but hadn’t come to have serviced yet. He only had a small crack in his so he was willing to wait a little longer and I was fortunate enough to get his windshield. They really went above and beyond for me. Car is already repaired and back home. Thank you for all of the replies!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

I have had glass replaced by independent glass vendors with sensors and all being calibrated without an issue. However, I will see non-OEM glass tends to be a bit thinner and unless it's a lease or short term car, I would invest on OEM glass when possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #10
G05X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I had SafeLite replace the glass on my M50i and they could not get it to calibrate afterward. I'm not sure if the first install was OEM glass or not. I had to wait a couple weeks and they replaced it a second time with OEM glass and calibration was fine. They told me it's possible the mount that holds the camera could be off by a tiny bit and the camera was unable to track properly due to it moving around.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #11
I2P
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwell24 View Post
Update: head of service department called me on Wednesday and said he found a windshield in Jacksonville and all he needed from me was a green light to try and get it shipped to his dealership. Obviously I was ecstatic but also very curious why no one else could see this before. He called me back and said it wasn’t available and that it was a windshield someone had already waited for it was just showing in the system as available but was in fact not. So we were back to waiting a month as our only option. I brought it up that my car was un-drivable and that my insurance would only cover 80% of a rental and 5-6 weeks of that adds so I really need you to provide a loaner to me. He asked for pics to confirm the hole in windshield then called me back and said he worked out a deal with another customer who had ordered a windshield but hadn’t come to have serviced yet. He only had a small crack in his so he was willing to wait a little longer and I was fortunate enough to get his windshield. They really went above and beyond for me. Car is already repaired and back home. Thank you for all of the replies!
What was your "out the door" cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 08:07 AM   #12
okarch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSP

I had my windshield(X5 45e) cracked due to road debris( a small metal piece). It was about an inch in outer side glass but on driver's side sightline. My insurance cover it with a deductible. A dealer charged $2,000 for parts and $1,000 labor. It was fortunate that the dealer in my town had windshield in stock and took 4 days in total going through insurance and dealer repair.
Appreciate 0