BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #1
nairb2141
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 M50i

2023 BMW X5 M50i Pulling to the Right>Need Help!

I have a 2023 BMW X5 M50i with 6600 miles. At around 4500 miles the vehicle started pulling to the right. I took it to the dealership and they performed an alignment & tire balance. It seemed fine for about 2 weeks and then the problem came back. I took it back to the dealership and they performed another alignment and swapped the two front tires from left to right. Driving away from the dealership the issue was worse. I brought it in for a third time as they stated that their alignment machine needed to be recalibrated. They did another alignment, ran a road test and no change. The "stated" that they installed 4 different tires from another vehicle to see if it was an issue with defective tires-no change. They proceeded to bring in a regional BMW rep after having the car for 3 weeks to review "data". They stated that the computer settings that control the steering needed to be reset and it would take 250 miles for the issue to self resolve.
In getting the car back I am constantly having to slightly move the steering wheel to the left and if I let go it immediately goes to the right. I am only about 40 miles in so I guess I have to give it the full 250 miles but I am not at all confident that this is going to fix the problem. They said if it doesn't correct the problem to bring it back in.
I have a very strong feeling that the issue IS with the tires being defective and causing a radial pull but I am no expert. They are stock Continental 22" and staggered (front/rear). They did mention that BMW had sent out a "bulletin" regarding this issue but didn't go into detail. Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I had 4 other X5's in the past and never a single issue with the alignment. Please HELP!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the dealer and BMW are going through the process so just let it happen. Having them acknowledge the problem is a big step to getting it resolved. That said, I don't believe the 250 steering reset but I guess it could be possible.

Unlikely it is a tire issue since putting on four different tires didn't help.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
      05-09-2024, 03:44 PM   #3
elJames
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairb2141 View Post
They did mention that BMW had sent out a "bulletin" regarding this issue but didn't go into detail. Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I had 4 other X5's in the past and never a single issue with the alignment. Please HELP!
What is the bulletin that you mention here?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 09:48 PM   #4
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
I have a 2023 BMW X5 M50i with 6600 miles. At around 4500 miles the vehicle started pulling to the right. I took it to the dealership and they performed an alignment & tire balance. It seemed fine for about 2 weeks and then the problem came back. I took it back to the dealership and they performed another alignment and swapped the two front tires from left to right. Driving away from the dealership the issue was worse. I brought it in for a third time as they stated that their alignment machine needed to be recalibrated. They did another alignment, ran a road test and no change. The "stated" that they installed 4 different tires from another vehicle to see if it was an issue with defective tires-no change. They proceeded to bring in a regional BMW rep after having the car for 3 weeks to review "data". They stated that the computer settings that control the steering needed to be reset and it would take 250 miles for the issue to self resolve.
In getting the car back I am constantly having to slightly move the steering wheel to the left and if I let go it immediately goes to the right. I am only about 40 miles in so I guess I have to give it the full 250 miles but I am not at all confident that this is going to fix the problem. They said if it doesn't correct the problem to bring it back in.
I have a very strong feeling that the issue IS with the tires being defective and causing a radial pull but I am no expert. They are stock Continental 22" and staggered (front/rear). They did mention that BMW had sent out a "bulletin" regarding this issue but didn't go into [...]
I think the staggered configuration is part of it as an owner of an X5 2022. I’ve noticed a slight going to right two things here, electric steering, not conventional rack and secondly, they have the lane Assist that you’re fighting with I think that’s where it’s all at you’ll either get used to it or you won’t that’s the conclusion I’ve come up with I quickly noticed this when I get into the car and drive. I thought it was the crown of the road, but I’m convinced it’s what I mentioned. Because it does this on back roads and on the highway also It’s almost like you have to readjust all the time. I’ve actually turned off the lane assist, but it actually is still there in the back ground slightly Trying to manipulate the center of the road
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #5
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
I have a very strong feeling that the issue IS with the tires being defective and causing a radial pull but I am no expert. They are stock Continental 22" and staggered (front/rear). They did mention that BMW had sent out a "bulletin" regarding this issue but didn't go into detail. Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I had 4 other X5's in the past and never a single issue with the alignment. Please HELP!
When they did the alignment, did they adjust the Toe?

Do you have printout from before/after setting? was there major change to the Toe?

I had the same exact problem on brand new LCI X5. Did test drive with foreman and within 5 sec he said yes the car is having a drift to the right.

Toe was adjusted and it fixed the problem. However I don't have staggered setup. He asked me the first question, do I have staggered setup and it may very well cause the issue.

Have them put the same size tires and do the drive test. It might fixed the issues then tires are the problem.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:23 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Early on with mine, it seemed the lane assist was trying to move it away from what I perceived as the center of the lane…but, on a rainy day when I could see my tire tracks in the mirror, I realized that the thing was actually in the center of the lane. The difference wasn’t much, but I was typically driving slightly closer to one sidle versus the other. Just a thought. This could be why some really do not like to use any of the automated driving functions.
Appreciate 0