BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

50e - hybrid mode electric to ICE transition not smooth under certain speed

I noticed for many time that when driving on hybrid mode on local road, EV to ICE transition is not very smooth. It is especially obvious when apply accelerator gradually, when car decide to start ICE it seems the power flats out for half a second and then suddenly a boost in power. However when applying the pedal quickly, the whole acceleration is smooth.

It feels for the first situation the EV is almost max-out and the car decides to start the ICE too late causing a small but noticeable lag; but the second situation the car knows to start the ICE early on and it feel smoother.

Anyone else notice something similar? Or might it be by car being not very normal?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:46 PM   #2
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

Hi
Yes completely agree, in hybrid then applying more gas/pedal , it’s like the older cars flat spot.
It’s almost like the two don’t seems to gel, I end up driving round in Hybrid /Sport as opposed to just sport.
Unsure if this is another Characteristic of the hybrid drive train in the X5.
Drive my wife’s 22 X5 30d back to back with mine today, the diesel is just so easy to drive! Relaxing effortless engine.
Having said that the 50e is a rocket ship off the line, had mine since 22nd September, from a drive train perspective the jury is out!
It’s just so different from what I am used to, I hope it starts growing on me.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

I thought it was actually pretty good. I was expecting much worse.
Appreciate 2
      10-08-2023, 04:52 PM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I thought it was actually pretty good. I was expecting much worse.
I definitely agree it is not very bad; how good it is might be subjective.

I don't know if I remember it correctly, but when I test my friend's 45e I could not really tell the EV/ICE transition and I "feel" 50e is not as good as what I remembered for 45e.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:59 PM   #5
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 NF View Post
Hi
Yes completely agree, in hybrid then applying more gas/pedal , it’s like the older cars flat spot.
It’s almost like the two don’t seems to gel, I end up driving round in Hybrid /Sport as opposed to just sport.
Unsure if this is another Characteristic of the hybrid drive train in the X5.
Drive my wife’s 22 X5 30d back to back with mine today, the diesel is just so easy to drive! Relaxing effortless engine.
Having said that the 50e is a rocket ship off the line, had mine since 22nd September, from a drive train perspective the jury is out!
It’s just so different from what I am used to, I hope it starts growing on me.
Yea I find out I am driving it completely different way than I expected when I ordered the car, in both good and bad.

I never thought I could deal with <200hp and I expect my self driving on hybrid mode all the time and forget about the driving mode completely.

I ended up driving on "electric" mode exclusively for daily commute and switch to "sport" on longer trips. What surprised me is the EV behaves on local road as it feels "borderline" exciting to drive at city street especially with <50mph speed limit. The torque off the red light is simply amazing. On short highway stretch it is also quite useable and I am able to comfortably cruising at 80mph while doing some overtaking and manuvering. I rarely start the engine at all when electric range can cover my drive.

Because of the aforementioned "less smoothness" of hybrid during drivetrain transition, I find "hybrid" mode not very usable on city road as there are occasionally "flat" which is unexpected. On highway however it seems much less noticeable and transition between drivetrain is quite smooth.
Appreciate 0