BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-06-2023, 08:33 AM   #45
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspahn View Post
I did reach out to BMW today and they told me it’s “full Merino leather” regardless of perforation. So idk honestly.
They may be correct but generally take what they say with a grain of salt. Like I said, it could have changed for the LCI but as of last January it was:

Seats, headrests and armrests in leather Merino
(Only in combination with comfort seats at the front)

Note: If optioned, active seat ventilation at the front, seats perforated in Vernasca leather

Here is a link to there press site from 2020 saying it. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/deuts...nd?language=de
      04-06-2023, 10:35 AM   #46
kwickag
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Corvette 24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
They may be correct but generally take what they say with a grain of salt. Like I said, it could have changed for the LCI but as of last January it was:

Seats, headrests and armrests in leather Merino
(Only in combination with comfort seats at the front)

Note: If optioned, active seat ventilation at the front, seats perforated in Vernasca leather

Here is a link to there press site from 2020 saying it. https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/deuts...nd?language=de
Maybe it's a '23 45e thing. When ordering Extended Merino Leather, you have to get the Luxury Seating Package or Multi-contour seats and Executive Package. The Luxury Seating Package is the only way to get ventilated seats on the 45e. It would seem silly to order the Merino leather and then have to pay extra to have it deleted for the luxury seating package. Not that that is impossible, but the look and feel of my perforated leather seats is the same as the non-perforated, and my pictures bear out the look part.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 10:38 AM   #47
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwickag View Post
Maybe it's a '23 45e thing. When ordering Extended Merino Leather, you have to get the Luxury Seating Package or Multi-contour seats and Executive Package. The Luxury Seating Package is the only way to get ventilated seats on the 45e. It would seem silly to order the Merino leather and then have to pay extra to have it deleted for the luxury seating package. Not that that is impossible, but the look and feel of my perforated leather seats is the same as the non-perforated, and my pictures bear out the look part.
See my edit, I blew up your picture and the leather does look different. The difference is what we have seen others, including 23's, show and describe. Maybe it was a mid MY change or something and it is just how your picture looks.
      04-06-2023, 11:36 AM   #48
kwickag
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 Corvette 24 iX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
See my edit, I blew up your picture and the leather does look different. The difference is what we have seen others, including 23's, show and describe. Maybe it was a mid MY change or something and it is just how your picture looks.
It is my understanding that to the naked eye there is a difference between the look of Merino and Vernasca. The picture I took was already blown up, and with your additional blow up you can see a slight difference, at least to me it is slight. The same is true at this blow-up level of the non-perforated leather from sample to sample. The truth is you can't tell the difference between the two just looking at it and feeling it. I would think that if it was Vernasca it would be pretty obvious since the texture is very different from every picture I've seen, hence the comments from the past. The picture below shows the grain of Vernasca from a distance and it isn't at all like my pictures.

I'm satisfied with it and I'm pretty picky about this kind of stuff.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:18 PM   #49
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

To me it looks exactly like your picture but difficult from pics. It could be tough to tell the difference especially given the perforation. The seats are fine for sure. We can only go by the materials BMW has released but things could have changed for the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:22 PM   #50
Bristle Hound
In The Dog House ...
Rep
Drives: MY23 BMW X5 xDrive30d M Sp

Garage List
I have recently collected my MY23 2023 X5

It came as standard with the sensafin interior - we chose coffee to go with phytonic blue exterior

So far we are very pleased with the interior - loving the quilted and perforated seats
A few pics (difficult to get the exact shade in a picture as the camera exposure takes over

The coffee sensafin goes particularly well with the aluminium tetragon interior trim which was a nice surprise on collection

TBH the extra price for merino was just not an option for us
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #51
Flyboy2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

I am very happy with sensafin. In my opinion, when trying to maximize comfort, the multi contour seat upgrade is more important than upgrading to merino leather.

I have not owned merino leather. My only experience with it was during test drives, so maybe more time with it would change my mind.

I chose sensafin because:

1) I added virtually every package and option available, and I had to draw a line somewhere. Of all the potential upgrades, merino leather was the least important to me.

2) I haul my small kids around routinely. I worry less about cleaning, maintaining, and protecting the sensafin. Time will be the true test, but so far it seems to be super durable. I think it would be really hard to put scratches, scuffs, and rips in these seats.

I am sure Merino leather feels a slightly softer when touched, but for me the overall comfort was the same when sitting in the seats.

I'm really glad chose the upgraded packages with driver assistance features, ventilated and heated seats in front and back, and even the novelty and aesthetic upgrades such as alcantera headliner and the crazy cool lights in the glass roof which serve no functional purpose.
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2023, 03:13 PM   #52
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 M50i, 05 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspahn View Post
I did reach out to BMW today and they told me it’s “full Merino leather” regardless of perforation. So idk honestly.
It feels the same to me. Maybe they were cutting costs at some point and could explain vernasca fillers. I can't tell a difference between the perforated and non-perforated areas and is street then any other leather I've ever had in a vehicle.
Appreciate 1
0_steve159.00
      04-06-2023, 03:37 PM   #53
Caspahn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X6

Garage List
2024 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
It feels the same to me. Maybe they were cutting costs at some point and could explain vernasca fillers. I can't tell a difference between the perforated and non-perforated areas and is street then any other leather I've ever had in a vehicle.
Agreed. Zero difference to me.
Appreciate 1
0_steve159.00
      04-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #54
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy2017 View Post
I am very happy with sensafin. In my opinion, when trying to maximize comfort, the multi contour seat upgrade is more important than upgrading to merino leather.

I have not owned merino leather. My only experience with it was during test drives, so maybe more time with it would change my mind.

I chose sensafin because:

1) I added virtually every package and option available, and I had to draw a line somewhere. Of all the potential upgrades, merino leather was the least important to me.

2) I haul my small kids around routinely. I worry less about cleaning, maintaining, and protecting the sensafin. Time will be the true test, but so far it seems to be super durable. I think it would be really hard to put scratches, scuffs, and rips in these seats.

I am sure Merino leather feels a slightly softer when touched, but for me the overall comfort was the same when sitting in the seats.

I'm really glad chose the upgraded packages with driver assistance features, ventilated and heated seats in front and back, and even the novelty and aesthetic upgrades such as alcantera headliner and the crazy cool lights in the glass roof which serve no functional purpose.
I've had loaners with both perforated and non-perforated sensafin seats for about 2.5 weeks total time and the Merino is significantly softer. It much more than "slightly" and is more compliant to the buttox. Overall, sensafin feels more like vinyl and has the smell to go with it. I guess you'll just have to experience both at some point in time to feel the difference. I also have kids and wanted nice leather so I went with it. I suppose we all have priorities and limitations or else we'd all be driving Bugatti or Maybach.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 07:35 AM   #55
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Night and day difference that you won’t notice until you spend some time with both. I pay close attention to detail on everything so it is a very noticeable difference to me. That being said we rented an LCI X7 last month with Sensafin and it was quite nice. The more I spent time in it though the more I noticed the synthetic smell and feel of the upholstery.

As for maintenance I have merino on my current car, had it on my last car and had Nappa on my car before that. I have small kids and a dog and have no marks,scuffs etc. I try to do a bi-monthly cleaning with either a damp microfiber cloth or a bit of colourlock solution and the seats look new. My rear seats have had no products used on them and still look and feel new. This really depends on how much of a beating your interior will take though.

That being said the Nappa on my 2018 X5 felt more supple and rich than the Merino on my F90 and F95. Others contested this in the past but after getting a second vehicle with Merino I still stand by this. The Merino does feel more durable than the Nappa though.
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 08:02 AM   #56
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

I had Nappa on my GLE and merino on my X5, I prefer the merino feels softer to me. I am not into cleaning cars and have never touched the merino and after 18 months is like new. Outside of car will be cleaned next week for 4th time to see if I can get a better offer for it than my trade in offer from dealer as new car arrives next week. I have the black merino and arctic grey new car is tanzanite and Ivory/Night blue merino, may need more cleaning but nappa on gle was ivory and wasn't a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:19 AM   #57
Flyboy2017
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue87 View Post
I've had loaners with both perforated and non-perforated sensafin seats for about 2.5 weeks total time and the Merino is significantly softer. It much more than "slightly" and is more compliant to the buttox. Overall, sensafin feels more like vinyl and has the smell to go with it. I guess you'll just have to experience both at some point in time to feel the difference. I also have kids and wanted nice leather so I went with it. I suppose we all have priorities and limitations or else we'd all be driving Bugatti or Maybach.
The leather or synthetic material is only a few mm thick. Your conclusion sounds like placebo effect more that actual differencess.
I can feel the difference myself between the 2 materials on my skin, but do you to suggest your butt can feel the difference through your underwear and pants is not realistic. Unless you are driving naked from the waste down, they feel identical on your butt.

3-4 mm of any fabric is not going to feel different under your buttock. The softness you are feeling under your buttock is due to the quality/amount of bolstering and other factors that affect seat comfort.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:33 AM   #58
Blue87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy2017 View Post
The leather or synthetic material is only a few mm thick. Your conclusion sounds like placebo effect more that actual differencess.
I can feel the difference myself between the 2 materials on my skin, but do you to suggest your butt can feel the difference through your underwear and pants is not realistic. Unless you are driving naked from the waste down, they feel identical on your butt.

3-4 mm of any fabric is not going to feel different under your buttock. The softness you are feeling under your buttock is due to the quality/amount of bolstering and other factors that affect seat comfort.
I was more referring to the softness and tackiness using both my hand and butt. I took another look last night and noticed the thigh support feels harder than the rest of the seat whereas the other portions were more plible and had a softer feel to my hands. Regardless of actual materials used, there was no way I was opting out of ventilated seats while going through North American summers. Seems if this the case with the perforated areas, BMW should lower the price of that option.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #59
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I’m surprised no one mentioned that when you order the Merino leather you also get a leather mask with the 50yr BMW badge stictched on it. Check the glovebox…it should be in there. This might only be on the XM now but our 23 came with it. Seems odd but maybe they used the extra leather they saved on the perforated seat portion?

Other than that I’m surprised no one mentioned how nice the Merino leather is on the arm rests. I know it’s a lot of extra money for just a few areas of Merino…but then again there is that mask. I’m putting mine on eBay as it’s very creepy.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #60
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned that when you order the Merino leather you also get a leather mask with the 50yr BMW badge stictched on it. Check the glovebox…it should be in there. This might only be on the XM now but our 23 came with it. Seems odd but maybe they used the extra leather they saved on the perforated seat portion?

Other than that I’m surprised no one mentioned how nice the Merino leather is on the arm rests. I know it’s a lot of extra money for just a few areas of Merino…but then again there is that mask. I’m putting mine on eBay as it’s very creepy.
I have no doubt that lots of us are completely confused about the mask so I gotta ask you to post a pic.
      04-08-2023, 04:09 PM   #61
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I have no doubt that lots of us are completely confused about the mask so I gotta ask you to post a pic.
That’s just my sick sense of humor and clearly I am the only one left laughing…maybe I should have said leather pants or gloves.

Thanks for asking the question…you confirmed that no one got it…but I can confirm I was laughing the entire time I wrote it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 08:12 PM   #62
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2134 View Post
That being said the Nappa on my 2018 X5 felt more supple and rich than the Merino on my F90 and F95. Others contested this in the past but after getting a second vehicle with Merino I still stand by this.
I stand with you, too!

The Nappa in my 2018 X5 was a real treat. The feel, the real Nappa + stitching on the doorsills and the dash. That was a leather package that felt like value for money.
Appreciate 2
jo2134387.00
0_steve159.00
      08-17-2023, 07:22 PM   #63
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Funny so many on here are fans of the merino. I have it on my current m50 and people have asked if it’s real leather. The back seats feel like plastic. Though it’s held up fine I chose sensafin for my m60 on order. Plus really like the colors and contrasting black bits.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10790.50
      08-17-2023, 07:39 PM   #64
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
Funny so many on here are fans of the merino. I have it on my current m50 and people have asked if it’s real leather. The back seats feel like plastic. Though it’s held up fine I chose sensafin for my m60 on order. Plus really like the colors and contrasting black bits.
I was starting to think it was just me. I’ve had leather in every BMW I’ve owned and I can’t say I miss it in my latest one. Certainly not worth a couple grand at purchase time.
      08-17-2023, 09:31 PM   #65
gsquare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I was starting to think it was just me. I’ve had leather in every BMW I’ve owned and I can’t say I miss it in my latest one. Certainly not worth a couple grand at purchase time.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 09:45 AM   #66
printemps2001
Rep
Drives: '22 Alpina B8; '19 E450 wagon
Location: Gone: '18 Alpina B7; '16 S550; '13 S550; '14 E350 wagon; '12 E550; '08 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Sensafin is not leather. Just like almond milk is not milk.
Amen.

I am bummed that I have to go to Extended Merino from the Full Merino on my last 2 cars. No more leather dash and lower door pockets.

Sensafin is plastic, vinyl, fake. Call it vegan leather if you must, it still ain't leather.
Appreciate 0