BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-04-2023, 10:55 AM   #1
Surf 440m
Rep
Drives: 2022 440M Converible, 2022 X5

Ceramic coating question

Looking at doing ceramic coating on my 2022 X5. I live in NJ so hand washing is difficult for me in the winter. Not sure what my options are for cleaning the car, especially with all the de-icing chemicals spreading on the roads so frequently. Any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
sparrky
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW - 2023 X5 40i

Garage List
2023 BMW X5  [0.00]
Upstate NY. I had xpel ceramic done thinking it would help. I find Ceramic does nothing to make it easier to clean, once the salt and grime gets on. Once the grime is off the car, clean water does bead up nicely and run off.

Having a sapphire black X5 and not wanting swirls, I don’t do car washes. I try to sneak in a hand wash myself when it gets above feeezing and I work with a local detailer to hand wash when it is below feeezing.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-04-2023, 12:36 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
GrussGott has done many write ups on rinseless/waterless washing. check his profile for those posts which are spread among many similar threads on the subject
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18180.50
      02-04-2023, 04:44 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf 440m View Post
Looking at doing ceramic coating on my 2022 X5. I live in NJ so hand washing is difficult for me in the winter. Not sure what my options are for cleaning the car, especially with all the de-icing chemicals spreading on the roads so frequently. Any suggestions
No need for ceramic, especially if you have a garage and are willing to do a 30 min Rinseless wash every week or 3.

If so I can point you to some links.

Basically for 25% the cost of ceramic you can get the same thing and a killer setup you'll own; and for 10% the cost you can get a decent setup. No need for a hose or drain, but a garage helps.

Plus most people who pay for ceramic don't maintain it and it ends up looking no different a year later or they needlessly pay their detailer a fortune ... Then again sometimes the easiest way to pay for things is with money 🤑
Appreciate 2
P111572.00
chris7197334.00
      02-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

I know opinions are like arseholes...everybody's got one but I can recommend PPF and ceramic coating, or just ceramic if you don't want to go down the PPF route.

The second photo is after the X5 had had a quick wash last week.

ONR at 256:1 used as a pre wash in a BigBoi electric sprayer,
Garage Therapy snow foam V2
Garage Therapy shampoo V2
Garage Therapy/Two:quick detailer
Garage Therapy One wheel shampoo

Last edited by malvern_man; 02-04-2023 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

malvern_man explain the whole "if you can't do PPF, then do ceramic".
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
Ljn21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 x35i

There are some decent and relatively inexpensive DIY ceramic coatings (not sprays) that are easy to use with good results. My personal favorite is Kamikaze Miyabi base coat with Kamikaze ISM 3.0 over it and something like Adams Ceramic Spray or Griots 3in1 Spray over the top as a cheap/easy to apply/reapply sacrificial layer.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljn21 View Post
There are some decent and relatively inexpensive DIY ceramic coatings (not sprays) that are easy to use with good results. My personal favorite is Kamikaze Miyabi base coat with Kamikaze ISM 3.0 over it and something like Adams Ceramic Spray or Griots 3in1 Spray over the top as a cheap/easy to apply/reapply sacrificial layer.
Yeah lots of great product out there! Probably my favorite "no flash" resin-based ceramic is Car Pro Lite; it's super easy to use and has pretty good durability.

That said, Turtle Wax Seal-n-Shine is a water-based coating that lasts about 90% as long and you can get for $10 for a few years worth, and is way easier to apply.

The thing is, anyone who would even remotely consider a polish in the next 3 years (for gloss or swirls) shouldn't get a multi-year coating since you'll just polish it off and water-based coatings are functionally no different and way cheaper and easier to apply.

Honestly I think the detail industry is shooting itself in the foot with $$$$ PPF and Ceramic; it's on its way to becoming the new "undercoating".

I look at paint as kind of a consumable like tires; even if you trash it, a respray is cheaper than PPF.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 04:40 PM   #9
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
malvern_man explain the whole "if you can't do PPF, then do ceramic".
I didn't say anything about CAN'T put you glasses on and re read my post again...I said...just ceramic if you don't want to go down the PPF route.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 07:10 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
I didn't say anything about CAN'T put you glasses on and re read my post again...I said...just ceramic if you don't want to go down the PPF route.
Sorry, sir. That is indeed what I meant. Why do you have to ceramic if you don't go down the PPF route?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 05:07 AM   #11
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, sir. That is indeed what I meant. Why do you have to ceramic if you don't go down the PPF route?
You don't have to ceramic, you don't have to do anything, it's your money, your car and your personal choice. My personal choice was to go down the PPF and ceramic coating route.

Like I said earlier opinions are like arseholes... everybody's got one. If everyone thought and did the same things then the world would be a boring place.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 12:26 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
malvern_man simply recommended ceramic as a minimum. it’s just a recommendation. he never said one has to.

after seeing how ceramic performs on my X5, my wife wanted it on her 530e. it’s a lease, so we sure as heck weren’t going to get ppf! even ceramic was unnecessary, but she wanted it, and I admit it enhances the gloss.

similar lighting conditions, but I can see the difference (or maybe I’m biased lol):
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18180.50
      02-07-2023, 04:45 PM   #13
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
malvern_man simply recommended ceramic as a minimum. it’s just a recommendation. he never said one has to.

after seeing how ceramic performs on my X5, my wife wanted it on her 530e. it’s a lease, so we sure as heck weren’t going to get ppf! even ceramic was unnecessary, but she wanted it, and I admit it enhances the gloss.

similar lighting conditions, but I can see the difference (or maybe I’m biased lol):
Thanks for jumping in nZtiZia, much appreciated 👍

The 530e looks great too.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      02-08-2023, 10:11 AM   #14
Surf 440m
Rep

Decided to go with the ceramic coating. Dropping my car off on Monday, so I will post some pics next week. Thanks for all the comments and advice
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      02-08-2023, 05:35 PM   #15
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Decided to go with the ceramic coating. Dropping my car off on Monday, so I will post some pics next week. Thanks for all the comments and advice
You won't regret it, it makes it so much easier to clean the car.

What make ceramic is it, are you having the wheel faces and barrels coated too?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:28 AM   #16
lsmy312
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i

I am interested in the: Rinseless wash you mentioned. located in midwest without driveway is painful. Thanks,

update: searched forum and found bunch of good posts on this, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
No need for ceramic, especially if you have a garage and are willing to do a 30 min Rinseless wash every week or 3.

If so I can point you to some links.

Basically for 25% the cost of ceramic you can get the same thing and a killer setup you'll own; and for 10% the cost you can get a decent setup. No need for a hose or drain, but a garage helps.

Plus most people who pay for ceramic don't maintain it and it ends up looking no different a year later or they needlessly pay their detailer a fortune ... Then again sometimes the easiest way to pay for things is with money ��

Last edited by lsmy312; 02-09-2023 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 10:32 PM   #17
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmy312 View Post
I am interested in the: Rinseless wash you mentioned. located in midwest without driveway is painful. Thanks,
Well, there are a lot of ways to do it so you have to find one that meets your preferences. I prefer the Garry Dean method over using sponges and other techniques. Here's the very basics of what you need:
Note that you can buy cheaper and/or different version of this stuff, I'm just linking to the stuff I like.

The process is SUPER simple and you can do it anywhere.

(1.) If the car is super dirty spray it down in a u-wash to get off dirt clumps or really caked on salt, sand, & grime. This is where you can get fancy buying a Hydroshot which go on sale all the time and you can get for as low as $80. Just put the hose into the water bottle & spray anywhere, anytime. You'll need 2 bottles though.

(2.) Fill the bucket with a few gallons of de-ionized water from your 3 gallon bottle you can buy in whole foods (or any grocery store) in the bulk water section for $0.40 / gallon.

(3.) Dump in a cap or two of rinseless wash and mix. Then dip in your spray bottle to fill it up. Then put your mitts in and get them soaked. dirty mitts will NEVER go back in this bucket!

(4.) Work panel by panel: spray the panel down good & wait 2 min, maybe pre-spray the next panel too so it's all ready.

(5.) Working top to bottom, wiping right to left never circles: take a mitt from the bucket, squeeze it just until it's not dripping, and using just enough pressure to keep the mitt on the panel, wipe right to left. Then shake the mitt a bit to move the fingers and using the same side of the mitt overlap your last pass and do the next swipe until you've hit the bottom. Flip the mitt and do the next panel. Then toss that mitt aside and grab a clean mitt for the next passes.

(6.) Count the hood and tailgate as 2 or 3 panels and do the roof and windows with the same mitt, doing the roof first just to save mitts. I usually do this pass first and then use the same mitt to do the underside perimeter of the whole car.

(7.) After washing 1 or 2 panels, switch to dry mode: spray the drying aide on the sponge, apply top to bottom, left to right, then buff dry with your towel. Alternatively you can use, say, TW Seal-n-Shine as a sealant, but it'll last 3 months or more so you don't need to do that every time and you can skip the drying aide and just dry with the towel.

(8.) Optionally do the door jambs, door insides, and trunk hatch inside

(9.) Dump out the bucket, toss the mitts in the empty bucket, done.

(10.) Wash the mitts in COLD water w NO SOFTENER & dry on LOW or not heat. You can use Tide free & clear detergent or get fancy and use P&S Rags to Riches which i recommend as it'll break down the sealant.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2023, 11:03 PM   #18
lsmy312
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i

This is the next level art! Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Well, there are a lot of ways to do it so you have to find one that meets your preferences. I prefer the Garry Dean method over using sponges and other techniques. Here's the very basics of what you need:
Note that you can buy cheaper and/or different version of this stuff, I'm just linking to the stuff I like.

The process is SUPER simple and you can do it anywhere.

(1.) If the car is super dirty spray it down in a u-wash to get off dirt clumps or really caked on salt, sand, & grime. This is where you can get fancy buying a Hydroshot which go on sale all the time and you can get for as low as $80. Just put the hose into the water bottle & spray anywhere, anytime. You'll need 2 bottles though.

(2.) Fill the bucket with a few gallons of de-ionized water from your 3 gallon bottle you can buy in whole foods (or any grocery store) in the bulk water section for $0.40 / gallon.

(3.) Dump in a cap or two of rinseless wash and mix. Then dip in your spray bottle to fill it up. Then put your mitts in and get them soaked. dirty mitts will NEVER go back in this bucket!

(4.) Work panel by panel: spray the panel down good & wait 2 min, maybe pre-spray the next panel too so it's all ready.

(5.) Working top to bottom, wiping right to left never circles: take a mitt from the bucket, squeeze it just until it's not dripping, and using just enough pressure to keep the mitt on the panel, wipe right to left. Then shake the mitt a bit to move the fingers and using the same side of the mitt overlap your last pass and do the next swipe until you've hit the bottom. Flip the mitt and do the next panel. Then toss that mitt aside and grab a clean mitt for the next passes.

(6.) Count the hood and tailgate as 2 or 3 panels and do the roof and windows with the same mitt, doing the roof first just to save mitts. I usually do this pass first and then use the same mitt to do the underside perimeter of the whole car.

(7.) After washing 1 or 2 panels, switch to dry mode: spray the drying aide on the sponge, apply top to bottom, left to right, then buff dry with your towel. Alternatively you can use, say, TW Seal-n-Shine as a sealant, but it'll last 3 months or more so you don't need to do that every time and you can skip the drying aide and just dry with the towel.

(8.) Optionally do the door jambs, door insides, and trunk hatch inside

(9.) Dump out the bucket, toss the mitts in the empty bucket, done.

(10.) Wash the mitts in COLD water w NO SOFTENER & dry on LOW or not heat. You can use Tide free & clear detergent or get fancy and use P&S Rags to Riches which i recommend as it'll break down the sealant.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:19 PM   #19
Surf 440m
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
You won't regret it, it makes it so much easier to clean the car.

What make ceramic is it, are you having the wheel faces and barrels coated too?
The place I am taking it to uses Gtechniq Exo V4, and yes, I am having wheel faces and barrels coated too. Also having interior leather ceramic coated as well a the fabric (floors, and floor mats) coated.

Last edited by Surf 440m; 02-11-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:48 PM   #20
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Ceramic infused PPF.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 03:42 PM   #21
RichF90M5C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 Competition

The good thing with ceramic is if the car gets covered in crap and you don’t want to spend hours washing it, just a quick blow over with a jet wash gets most of the crap off.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2023, 05:08 PM   #22
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The place I am taking it to uses Gtechniq Exo V4, and yes, I am having wheel faces and barrels coated too. Also having interior leather ceramic coated as well a the fabric (floors, and floor mats) coated.
You definitely won't regret it, I had my interior ceramic coated too and all the glass, rain water just blows off at speed now.
Appreciate 0