BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-01-2023, 01:31 AM   #1
PatrickH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Question Advice needed: Changed wheels now passenger side suspension rubs.

Hi All

I have a 2020 BMWX5 45e. It came with 315/35 R21 wheels.

Am in the process of changing these over to 275/45 R20 wheels that are fitted with Nokian ice and snow tyres.

3 wheels changed over just fine, however front passenger side now rubs badly against the suspension. Worse, when I put the original wheel back on is now also rubs significantly.

Could this be to do with the air suspension, any thoughts on how to resolve?

As noted the other 3 wheel roll fine with no interference, just this one - and it is not drivable.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Cheers, Patrick
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 03:50 AM   #2
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

I have the 22 inch in the summer and put on the 275/45/R20 in the winter.
There is no other explanation apart from the air suspension. Have you tried cycling it fully down then up again to see if that sides fully working.
Im sure you probably know but when changing wheels, you lock the air suspension out by holding the lever for about 7 secs and then release. the light on the level indicator should go out. It will reactivate when back in drive mode, or manually .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 06:57 AM   #3
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Long shot. If it’s not the air suspension check the size of the rim width. I’m not aware of any car from factory fitted with 315 all around. However, on some models the rear wheel rim is wider by 1/2”. Could it possibly be you put a rear wheel rim on the front and just got lucky with the other ones. May explain why when you put the original wheels back on you get a rub now. Rim size will be on the inside on one of the spokes.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 07:06 AM   #4
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I was thinking….it’s June, why in the hell would someone put winter tires on? Then I saw your signature shows you are in Australia, June is the start of winter there. Lol

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 12:10 PM   #5
velopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, BMW R1250RT, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Long shot. If it’s not the air suspension check the size of the rim width. I’m not aware of any car from factory fitted with 315 all around. However, on some models the rear wheel rim is wider by 1/2”. Could it possibly be you put a rear wheel rim on the front and just got lucky with the other ones. May explain why when you put the original wheels back on you get a rub now. Rim size will be on the inside on one of the spokes.
Was thinking the same thing - he got the wheels switched. The smaller width rear wouldn't rub, but that rear on the font would.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 04:19 PM   #6
PatrickH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Bingo. That's exactly what it turned out to be. I did not see the rim size marked, just the tyre size. Same tyres all around, but stretched to fit wider rims for the rear. Swapped the passenger front for the driver's side rear last night and we are good to go.

Totally forgot I had wider rear rims - and just assumed the air suspension had something to do with it - stupid of me.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 09:43 PM   #7
velopod
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e, BMW R1250RT, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
Bingo. That's exactly what it turned out to be. I did not see the rim size marked, just the tyre size. Same tyres all around, but stretched to fit wider rims for the rear. Swapped the passenger front for the driver's side rear last night and we are good to go.

Totally forgot I had wider rear rims - and just assumed the air suspension had something to do with it - stupid of me.

Thanks to all for your replies.
Thanks for the follow up - I figured that was the issue, but good to maybe help others.
Appreciate 0