2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell_pearce View Post
I've hired an attorney to take BMW NA and BMW Loveland to court (as they aren't even willing to continue to diagnose the issue). I'm pretty let down by BMWs lack of concern/caring about their end clients. The car now goes into storage and won't be driven until we've finalized the court case, I suppose.
That really sucks to hear. It's too bad that the BMW dealer you are working with isn't going to bat for you on a six figure car. If I had that issue I'd grab the manager and give him a ride and show him exactly what it's doing and ask him if it's acceptable.
      09-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #46
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordell_pearce View Post
Unfortunately on the day I took it in, it did not present the issue (it was a very hot day, and auto start/stop does not come into play when all of the electric water pumps are running/too much draw on the battery)

It's hard to get an accurate portrayal of the surging, but as you can see the vehicle comes to a stop (shows 0mph) then starts again. Let me know if this link works for the 3 videos I uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FFD-TfPwhV2SDF
Listening to the videos with good earphones, the rumble of the brief power surge can be heard quite well.

Some of us that had an F85 may remember a thread where we sometimes complained about wide power surges at startup - but the car was starting in Parking, so it was annoying but not dangerous, and when we engaged the transmission, the surging always stopped.

Here the OP perfectly describes a similar problem, but with transmission in Drive: at engine restart the rpm spikes, the torque converter engages, the car lurches forward - and the OP has all reasons to get this danger eliminated!

The following thought may be very wrong - but I can think about BMW's reluctance to deal with this problem and their hope that it will fade away by ignoring it, as its study may possibly uncover a replicable malfunctioning, leading all the way up to recall status.

For the headquarters, being notified about such a case rings a $$$ cost alarm, due to an engineering revision possibly required to correct the critical component, software or else - initially, the problem cannot even be formally acknowledged to exist, for liability reasons...

By pursuing this issue, the OP is doing a great service - eventually this potentially dangerous behaviour will not be ignored any longer and may be fixed thanks to him. Who knows, the fix may even be a simple one, let's hope so!
Appreciate 0