BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #23
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I'll try that. I got cocky and decided to go and use my key card on a rainy day. Needless to say...I had trouble. It was weird, since sometimes I can just hold it near the spot it says to in the manual...but other times I have to hold it inside the handle and slightly pull at the same time. Also, my ConnectedDrive app failed to unlock/lock that evening...go figure.
I typically drag it across the handle from front to back works every time for me like that. Mine also resides in my wallet most of the time while I do that.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #24
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
I typically drag it across the handle from front to back works every time for me like that. Mine also resides in my wallet most of the time while I do that.
Jeez...I feel like a loser...I have it in that plastic sleeve still. I am going to give it a whirl again. Not sure if anyone had their's last year in the snow/ice. Wonder if that will have any impact. The key fob pisses me off...I love the acoustic confirmation, but not when I walk around the car loading or unloading stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #25
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
If you have the card you don't need the fob...... So not sure why you would have both. I typically use my card 90% of the time anyway so I no longer need to leave the key in the X5. Also my experience I left my fob in twice after washing overnight in the garage and the X5 never locked with the fob inside and me not there.

With your weather and having to wash, make sense you just take the key card and role with it from there. Also remember you can remotely unlock via the app.
A quick question, when the Card Key is used to start the engine and make a trip, can it be placed away from its Wireless pad location while the car is in motion? Or does it have to betting there all the time while driving?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #26
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
A quick question, when the Card Key is used to start the engine and make a trip, can it be placed away from its Wireless pad location while the car is in motion? Or does it have to betting there all the time while driving?
It needs to be placed on the pad while driving. I have removed it during a pit stop in a drive thru at starbucks BC it is in my wallet so I remove it to pay nothing goes wrong while I am doing that but according to the manual it must be in location to operate so I tend to keep it there. From time to time I use my phone case that I put a slot in the back and it will work while my phone is charging but make sure your case isn't very thick.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #27
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Armin View Post
Press the unlock button on the key several times in a row and it disables the auto locking/unlocking. Helpful when washing or putting gas in.
This seems true. It seems that when you unlock all the doors using the FOB, it deactivates comfort access. And to reactivate it, just press the Lock button once on the FOB.

Last edited by FreddyBMW; 11-11-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #28
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It needs to be placed on the pad while driving. I have removed it during a pit stop in a drive thru at starbucks BC it is in my wallet so I remove it to pay nothing goes wrong while I am doing that but according to the manual it must be in location to operate so I tend to keep it there. From time to time I use my phone case that I put a slot in the back and it will work while my phone is charging but make sure your case isn't very thick.
Perfect! Thank you for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #29
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
That's a confusing answer. Seems like two statements that the card must be kept on the pad and at least one contradictory answer that it works fine without keeping it on the pad.

Because I am a man, I don't know what the manual says :-), but I've used the key card many times by placing it on the pad to start the car and then immediately removing it and keeping it on me (pocket) so that I don't forget to take it with me when leaving. This makes sense for the stated reason, although knowing BMW, making sense had likely nothing to do with the design. Nonetheless ...
      11-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Because I am a man, I don't know what the manual says :-), ...
Manual? .. . these things come with a manual???

I hate it when I'm losing hair over trying to figure something out and the wife comes over and says, gee, it says right here on page x of the manual that.. ..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #31
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Armin View Post
Press the unlock button on the key several times in a row and it disables the auto locking/unlocking. Helpful when washing or putting gas in.
I’ve been testing this today and I can’t find anyway to overcome the auto lock/unlock. On mine if it’s set on in iDrive that’s it, only way to disable, even temporarily is to turn it off fully.

Multiple presses of unlock then walk away with the key still results in the car locking, which I guess from a security perspective isn’t a bad thing
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #32
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I’ve been testing this today and I can’t find anyway to overcome the auto lock/unlock. On mine if it’s set on in iDrive that’s it, only way to disable, even temporarily is to turn it off fully.

Multiple presses of unlock then walk away with the key still results in the car locking, which I guess from a security perspective isn’t a bad thing
I remember reading when the X5s were first rolling out that a lot of ppl were having issues with this feature working correctly. I think the conclusion was that for comfort access to work to unlock the door, it must also lock the door.

What people were doing was locking the door via FOB or door handle, then walking away. When they would return, the car WOULD NOT auto unlock via comfort access. It was frustrating a lot of people. Now this was early versions of iDrive, so I'm not sure if it's been fixed.

Long story short, try locking the car via FOB or handle. Maybe then the comfort access will not unlock every time you get near.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:38 AM   #33
Mr_Lebedev
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d G05

just keep key inside car while washing
      11-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #34
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
That's a confusing answer. Seems like two statements that the card must be kept on the pad and at least one contradictory answer that it works fine without keeping it on the pad.

Because I am a man, I don't know what the manual says :-), but I've used the key card many times by placing it on the pad to start the car and then immediately removing it and keeping it on me (pocket) so that I don't forget to take it with me when leaving. This makes sense for the stated reason, although knowing BMW, making sense had likely nothing to do with the design. Nonetheless ...
Yes it is confusing because the process is!!!! lol Some digging I did yielded me this answer. The hard copy manual I have says to keep it in location. The hotline says after .48 you no longer need it there but only to start.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0