BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X6 M50i

Dynamic handling package on M50i

Hi guys, I am going to order a X6 M50i. The only thing I not sure is the dynamic handling package. I will have 20' wheel since this is the only all season tires available. And I will get the integral active steering. Is there a huge difference between dynamic handling package VS adaptive M suspension plus IAS? Can anyone who tested drive both tell the difference? Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I could tell the difference. DHP is going to give you stability and planted feeling around corners and curves. Think highway ramps and suburbia. DHP stop your car from swaying side to side, ie floaty boaty feeling. It's well worth it for a vehicle this size unless you need ultra smooth comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
B///MW
Lance Bombardier
United_States
Rep
Drives: It varies

I have DHP on my 2017 X6. I'm waiting for production of my 2020 X6 also with 20" wheels & DHP. I really like the handling of this heavy vehicle with DHP. Well worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
munna129.00
      11-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsocr7 View Post
I could tell the difference. DHP is going to give you stability and planted feeling around corners and curves. Think highway ramps and suburbia. DHP stop your car from swaying side to side, ie floaty boaty feeling. It's well worth it for a vehicle this size unless you need ultra smooth comfort.
Thanks, do you mean DHP will make the car less comfortable in normal drive? Or it only affects when cornering?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJJ View Post
Quote:
Thanks, do you mean DHP will make the car less comfortable in normal drive? Or it only affects when cornering?
It's a little bumpy on rough roads but I just replaced my tires and it's much better. It helps primarily in cornering to maintain zero tilt of the vehicle. It does help in bump roads to smooth things out. I had a loaner 40i today and the ride quality with DHP and integral steering is significantly better. My vehicle turns on a dime. This 40i felt very sluggish. So DHP gets you best of both worlds. You can tell the different in the dampeners when you go from comfort to sport, but comfort is very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's a little bumpy on rough roads but I just replaced my tires and it's much better. It helps primarily in cornering to maintain zero tilt of the vehicle. It does help in bump roads to smooth things out. I had a loaner 40i today and the ride quality with DHP and integral steering is significantly better. My vehicle turns on a dime. This 40i felt very sluggish. So DHP gets you best of both worlds. You can tell the different in the dampeners when you go from comfort to sport, but comfort is very comfortable.
Thanks, as long as it doesn't reduce comfort compared to adaptive m suspension I will get the DHP. The difference is only 1.5k to IAS. BTW, when I pick up the car, how can I tell if the car is equipped with DHP? I know for IAS you can look at the car turning, but how to tell if it has Active roll stabilization and adaptive m suspension Professional? Thanks again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
BTW, when I pick up the car, how can I tell if the car is equipped with DHP? I know for IAS you can look at the car turning, but how to tell if it has Active roll stabilization and adaptive m suspension Professional? Thanks again
If you had it on your build then you should get it but to verify it, it should be listed on the Monroney sticker. You can also run your VIN through a VIN decode and the option should show.

https://www.mdecoder.com
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #8
nvsocr7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, as long as it doesn't reduce comfort compared to adaptive m suspension I will get the DHP. The difference is only 1.5k to IAS. BTW, when I pick up the car, how can I tell if the car is equipped with DHP? I know for IAS you can look at the car turning, but how to tell if it has Active roll stabilization and adaptive m suspension Professional? Thanks again
Change drive mode to sport then go to sport individual. You should be able to change the dampeners. I drove the same road to work today with my new tires. Much smoother than the run flats that come standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
huge difference, get the DHP and thank me later
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Change drive mode to sport then go to sport individual. You should be able to change the dampeners. I drove the same road to work today with my new tires. Much smoother than the run flats that come standard.
damper adjustment is on the M Suspension too. DHP with the active away bars does a lot more and makes a huge difference when you push the car hard. I drove one with and without, it's very obvious if you take a hard corner in Sport + and trying holding speed steady to rocket out the exit and you'll see how well the DHP let's you put power down without leaning
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I have added DHP to my build. However I have never tested drive a BMW with DHP, hopefully I can feel the difference when my car arrives
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have added DHP to my build. However I have never tested drive a BMW with DHP, hopefully I can feel the difference when my car arrives
As many members can attest, DHP makes the world of difference if you drive in even a remotely sporty manner. it's such a big deal BMW added it back to the 40i (not sure if that's why but a lot of people here were clamoring for it) The active away bar does a lot in keeping body roll virtually non-existent, combined with the active dampers ,M Sport Differential and IAS you will notice
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #13
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Does anyone have spacers on your 50i with DHP? Does it change anything as far as handling?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
DNGRTOM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90, G05 M50i, 991.1 TTS

I don't see a reason spacers would affect DHP

I wouldn't buy the X5 w/o DHP...and this isn't our sporty car; I look forward to the rear wheel steering in parking lots and the active stabilization taking turns around town. Of course it'll be nice at higher speeds but where I'll appreciate it is during the mundane/everyday stuff.
Appreciate 1
mhodx5111.50
      11-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #15
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
As many members can attest, DHP makes the world of difference if you drive in even a remotely sporty manner. it's such a big deal BMW added it back to the 40i (not sure if that's why but a lot of people here were clamoring for it) The active away bar does a lot in keeping body roll virtually non-existent, combined with the active dampers ,M Sport Differential and IAS you will notice
Thanks a lot. BTW, when the car arrives, how to tell if it's equipped with DHP or not? Without driving and try to 'feel it', is window sticker and vin check the only way to tell this car is equipped with DHP? For basically all other options, you can see it and tell it exists. E.g. Luxury seating you can see the ventilation and massage button, glass control you can see the glass, parking you can see the 3D view.... etc. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks a lot. BTW, when the car arrives, how to tell if it's equipped with DHP or not? Without driving and try to 'feel it', is window sticker and vin check the only way to tell this car is equipped with DHP? For basically all other options, you can see it and tell it exists. E.g. Luxury seating you can see the ventilation and massage button, glass control you can see the glass, parking you can see the 3D view.... etc. thanks again.
correct, you can also tell by how it drives, DHP handles very flat but I'd you haven't tried one without vs with you really need to push it hard to see. Window sticker is the best way of telling but I promise it makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #17
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The only other way I can think of is if you jack the car up and look underneath to see if you can see the difference between the suspension and sway bar components and non DHP
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodx5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The only other way I can think of is if you jack the car up and look underneath to see if you can see the difference between the suspension and sway bar components and non DHP
it also will have a sport diff (I don't recall what else it's offered with)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #19
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodx5 View Post
ARS is electrical these days ( it used to be hydraulic ). There should be a fuse for it so there is a good chance the fuse box description could tell you. Someone with a DHP car would need to check it on their car though. Maybe just looking at the sway bar is easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #20
RJJJ
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MW View Post
I have DHP on my 2017 X6. I'm waiting for production of my 2020 X6 also with 20" wheels & DHP. I really like the handling of this heavy vehicle with DHP. Well worth it in my opinion.
Added DHP, is your car scheduled for production yet? Mine stays at order received for a week...
Appreciate 0