Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      01-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
jasrboyd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i Xdrive

So I used the tape on the brackets for the back seats and it worked. I have tried this today and it has quieted my car even more so. I removed the privacy shade and folded the seats down.
I am wondering if it was the privacy shade to start with.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      01-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #25
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrboyd View Post
So I used the tape on the brackets for the back seats and it worked. I have tried this today and it has quieted my car even more so. I removed the privacy shade and folded the seats down.
I am wondering if it was the privacy shade to start with.
They always make noise. I removed mine before I left the dealer at delivery. I’ve never had an SUV that didn’t have a noisy privacy shade so never use them.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

I took my X5 into the dealership for exact same issue. I was hearing rattle noise on the right side (coming from rear I believe) at speed > 60 mph on a rough aggregated road only. I should have searched forum for this. I hope the dealership doesn't make things worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustX5 View Post
I took my X5 into the dealership for exact same issue. I was hearing rattle noise on the right side (coming from rear I believe) at speed > 60 mph on a rough aggregated road only. I should have searched forum for this. I hope the dealership doesn't make things worse.
Let us know what they say. I think a high speed rattle is different from the one in this thread, but it's always good to know sources of other potential rattles.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #28
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

2019 G05 X5 with a rattle/rumble/knock from the right rear at low speed/over uneven road.

Looked around whole entire truck and couldn’t find anything loose whatsoever at all.

Knocking on the panels doesn’t even result in anything loose sounding from within.

Wrapped the right rear seat back latch with electrical tape and secured the right rear seatback de-latch button by wedging thin cardboard into the edge of same.

Any updates anyone? Is there a fix for this yet?

What's weird is that it can sort of be heard just by starting up the truck in very cold weather, without even moving / being in motion yet; just by starting it up.

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:59 AM   #29
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I've been through this. They took my 2019 X5 5.0 back and I ordered a 2020 X5 M5.0. But it does the same. I'm not taking it into the dealer because the situation is just too stressful. All they do is ride around, listen to it and still not able to figure out what it is. It sounds like seat belts clicking or marbles clicking against each other.

BMW NA knows about the complaints but I've heard no solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #30
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Had a rattle coming from the trunk area of my 2020 X5 on what was otherwise a flawless factory build. Thought it was the luggage compartment package cover moving around but it wasn't. Tracked it down to coming from the passenger side of the headliner right above the trunk. If I pressed on it it would make the same noise. I folded up a small piece of a microfiber towel and shoved it behind the headliner and it's now perfect. Maybe something to check?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #31
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
...and shoved it behind the headliner and it's now perfect. Maybe something to check?
In exactly what area of the headliner did you place the cloth?

Some thinks it related to the roll-up sunroof shade. Since the sunroof is larger, there has to be a kind of roll-up type window shade bar somewhere inside the headliner.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide. I only have 700 miles on the car and i'm already ready to get rid of it and try another brand if this keeps happening. The dealership and I are not on speaking terms at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #32
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
Quote:
...and shoved it behind the headliner and it's now perfect. Maybe something to check?
In exactly what area of the headliner did you place the cloth?

Some thinks it related to the roll-up sunroof shade. Since the sunroof is larger, there has to be a kind of roll-up type window shade bar somewhere inside the headliner.

Thanks for any additional information you can provide. I only have 700 miles on the car and i'm already ready to get rid of it and try another brand if this keeps happening. The dealership and I are not on speaking terms at the moment.
See the attached pictures from in the trunk. We drove around going over bumps taking turns lying down in the trunk and narrowed it down to there. When I would press that area it would make the noise the car would make going over the bumps. I took one of my flat headliner tools, lifted up the weather stripping in the back, and gently shoved the folded microfiber towel up into that area. When I press on the headliner in the same area it's now silent and still looks nice and flush everywhere. No more noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X5_CC288.50
      11-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #33
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Quote:
I've been through this. They took my 2019 X5 5.0 back and I ordered a 2020 X5 M5.0. But it does the same. I'm not taking it into the dealer because the situation is just too stressful. All they do is ride around, listen to it and still not able to figure out what it is. It sounds like seat belts clicking or marbles clicking against each other.

BMW NA knows about the complaints but I've heard no solution.
I figured out the source for that in mine; it’s the rear seats. You can test it by pulling down the armrest cup holder thing, and banging on it, which for me, reproduced the noise. Dealer did some stuff, still has the noise but much less. Dealer says it’s a known issue in all the cars so not much more could be done at this point. I was happy I was able to isolate the noise at least. I hate rattles but this one I guess I just have to live with
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 11:51 AM   #34
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
For what it's worth, I had a 2012 Audi from 2012-2018, and it never once developed a rattle. Any time I heard something rattle in that car, it turned out to be something I had in the car with me (loose change, zipper on a jacket, etc.), and that car had low profile tires. A friend has an Audi SQ5 and said it is silent as well. I've had X2, X3, and X5 loaners, and all had rattles. I just wish BMW could get silent interiors like Audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #35
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
For what it's worth, I had a 2012 Audi from 2012-2018, and it never once developed a rattle. Any time I heard something rattle in that car, it turned out to be something I had in the car with me (loose change, zipper on a jacket, etc.), and that car had low profile tires. A friend has an Audi SQ5 and said it is silent as well. I've had X2, X3, and X5 loaners, and all had rattles. I just wish BMW could get silent interiors like Audi.
Yeah, but this isn't just a rattle or like the dealership said a while back, "All cars have some kind of noise." This is specific and has been acknowledged by BMW. It just surprises me they don't put any effort into resolving it. It's as if BMW told the dealerships they heard rumors about this specific noise but they just keep putting them out and relying on us and the service departments to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #36
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

We wore out the 2019 driving over bumps and rough roads. One day I just got sick of seeing the car looking like it had truly been used for off-roading and that's when the dealer agreed it was too much too soon and took it back. Now the same with the 2020. I only had 700 miles on it when it started.

Sometimes I believe we, by "we" I mean us BMW car lovers just don't put our feet down enough. These cars aren't cheap! This last one as equipped tipped well into the $100k mark. Plus, i'm not getting tax, license and fees back when I keep returning these cars. I'm just getting accommodations that are suppose to make up the difference.

I'm getting close to saying "Enough is enough!" Time to do something bigger.

Finally, I hope I don't receive another one of those smart ass responses where someone criticizes me for keep buying BMW's! It's about the cars, not about what decisions I make to buy the cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
The dealership and I are not on speaking terms at the moment.
What happened between you and your dealer that caused you to say that? Last I remembered, you had a fantastic relationship with them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:55 AM   #38
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
What happened between you and your dealer that caused you to say that? Last I remembered, you had a fantastic relationship with them.
Well, what I didn’t explain at first was “why” the dealer was doing so much at first to accommodate me.

The General Manager even admitted his Service Department was horrible. He said they “are not car guys” (his words). Even BMW NA suggested I take it elsewhere. Remember my 2016 F15? It is thought even by BMW NA the dealership screwed up that car and that led to its buyback.

I also overheard someone in the Service Department talking shit about me because he has gotten in trouble for not addressing the issues for many months and allowing the problems to grow. The General Manager threatened to fire him for saying what he said about me, but I said “Don’t!”

What happened recently was I had a cracked rear passenger window. I was planning to take the car somewhere else for what I was told was a simple repair. But the BMW dealer almost begged me into letting them try to regain my trust. So, I took the car there 4 days in a row, each time being told to bring it back the next day because they were unexpectedly crowded and wanted to be careful with my car. On the 4th day, I returned and was told the car would be ready at 3:00 PM. At 3:00 PM, the car was still sitting in the same place. So of course I was upset and took the car elsewhere. It was done in 2 hours.

The General Manager called me later that day and said they can’t seem to satisfy me, as if it was my fault. But he later said that’s not what he meant. He did! I’m told him I interpreted that as not wanting me to ever return, and for him, that is a grave mistake!

The bottom line is they are bad, just as “HE” said and all the giving me good deals on new cars ain’t fixing it! I’ve lost thousands in taxes and fees, and I bet they’ve lost nothing.

So that is the truth of the matter, and I’m tired of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #39
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Well, what I didn’t explain at first was “why” the dealer was doing so much at first to accommodate me.

The General Manager even admitted his Service Department was horrible. He said they “are not car guys” (his words). Even BMW NA suggested I take it elsewhere. Remember my 2016 F15? It is thought even by BMW NA the dealership screwed up that car and that led to its buyback.

I also overheard someone in the Service Department talking shit about me because he has gotten in trouble for not addressing the issues for many months and allowing the problems to grow. The General Manager threatened to fire him for saying what he said about me, but I said “Don’t!”

What happened recently was I had a cracked rear passenger window. I was planning to take the car somewhere else for what I was told was a simple repair. But the BMW dealer almost begged me into letting them try to regain my trust. So, I took the car there 4 days in a row, each time being told to bring it back the next day because they were unexpectedly crowded and wanted to be careful with my car. On the 4th day, I returned and was told the car would be ready at 3:00 PM. At 3:00 PM, the car was still sitting in the same place. So of course I was upset and took the car elsewhere. It was done in 2 hours.

The General Manager called me later that day and said they can’t seem to satisfy me, as if it was my fault. But he later said that’s not what he meant. He did! I’m told him I interpreted that as not wanting me to ever return, and for him, that is a grave mistake!

The bottom line is they are bad, just as “HE” said and all the giving me good deals on new cars ain’t fixing it! I’ve lost thousands in taxes and fees, and I bet they’ve lost nothing.

So that is the truth of the matter, and I’m tired of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #40
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I was doing some searching on CarPlay to see if it's AirPlay/allows for better audio. Upon mass clicking on the newtis site, there was a handful of documents on noise emanating from various areas in the vehicle. I linked below, but not sure if it addresses your problem. There are a couple "fixes" that BMW offers, but also other issues they recognize. May be some good info to help dealing with BMW/dealership. It links to the 40i, but you can backtrack to 50i if necessary.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ve40i-sav/ned/
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #41
ingleberg1
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Gran Coupe

Quote:
See the attached pictures from in the trunk. We drove around going over bumps taking turns lying down in the trunk and narrowed it down to there. When I would press that area it would make the noise the car would make going over the bumps. I took one of my flat headliner tools, lifted up the weather stripping in the back, and gently shoved the folded microfiber towel up into that area. When I press on the headliner in the same area it's now silent and still looks nice and flush everywhere. No more noise.
Thank you SO much for taking the time to post this! My 2018 X5M had the same issue, and I was getting really tired of trying to find the source of the sounds. I never would have thought to look there... you have saved me a lot of frustration!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #42
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Yes! It has been almost 2 weeks and I haven't heard the noise again since using the duct tape. Thanks to all for providing the solution!
I basically wrapped all the latches back there and the tailgate with electric tape and it really works! there are so many YouTube videos on this that it is likely a common issue and perhaps BMW should put some sort of soft-cover on these latches.
Appreciate 0