[0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
the framework for OTA updates
What does this mean?

iDrive 7 has always had the ability to look for new S/W, and obviously it always come back with "No update available".

The "excuse" the dealer has given me for OTA not working today is the backend communications infrastructure at BMW. Connected Drive comms is still fairly "flaky" these days, so can you imagine all the cars out there trying to download a new S/W version at the same time.

With all the cloud storage, computing and 4G mobile network coverage these days, I cant believe a company like BMW is still struggling. They seriously need to employ some decent Comms Engineers and just get it done.
If the Gaming companies can do it (eg. I heard the latest "Call-of-Duty" game update a few weeks ago was 70GB), then I dont understand the issue.

Does anyone know how large the SW upgrade file(s) are? (the Connected Drive App in the SW upgrade session says 800Mb)

Maybe release it via Smartphone download first, which can then download to your vehicle when its connected, and then release direct OTA to vehicles when they have their crap together.
that's a small game, RDR2 is 110GB. I would assume they don't know why it hasn't rolled out and are making excuses or who knows
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:11 AM   #46
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abegweit View Post
Just received 07/2019.71 today. It solved an issue I was having with some of the ConnectedDrive features like remote lock/unlock. Otherwise everything seems to be the same so far.

iOS13 solved most of my CarPlay issues. One outstanding annoyance was the failure to hold MUTE during phone calls. Haven't had a chance to see if the 2019.71 update has solved that yet.
Which issues exactly? CD works for me most of the time, but if I do lock/unlock and it is successful...it may hang up next time I go into the app and not allow me to do it again. It seems to stay in that state unless I log out and log back in. It's weird, since it will say success with the check mark, but seem to have the progress bar not disappear and tell me there is already an action or something along those lines. The only issue I have with remote 3d seems to be that I have a 5 series sedan. No big deal, kind of funny.

CarPlay has been great with 13.2.2, but 13.3 is right around the corner, hopefully nothing will change. I think I know what you mean with the MUTE function. The biggest problem I had in iOS12 with iDrive was the music playing faintly in the background during a car. It was weird, but I was not sure if the person I was talking to could hear.

Seeing that I just had 07/2019.70 installed a couple weeks back and .71 is out, happy to see BMW is working on things. It gives me hope that OTA and 11/2019.xx is on the way!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:04 AM   #47
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Speaking of Catalina, I got the f'u error when I performed an over the air recovery clean install (Command (⌘)-R). It completed after another erase and recovery. Over the air poop happens - above is an extreme use case but the majority of updates with existing base OS hasn't had any issues. Apple and Microsoft has done a really great job over the years with delivering updates.

And BMW has done the same with over air navigation updates - it just downloads in the background, pauses if the connection is poop and continues when the signal is stronger.

Apologies for squirreling the thread topic on the latest iDrive update that's in the main thread which should be in:

iDrive, Audio, Phone, Electronics, Software, Coding
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=746
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #48
yans
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d MSport Phytonic Blu

I also had 11/2019.30 installed today (as I had my black front grills finally installed after waiting 6 weeks for stock)...... so far can't see any changes!!!

Info welcome!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #49
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

BimmerCode working or back to almost nothing with Nov software?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #50
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Speaking of Catalina, I got the f'u error when I performed an over the air recovery clean install (Command (⌘)-R). It completed after another erase and recovery. Over the air poop happens - above is an extreme use case but the majority of updates with existing base OS hasn't had any issues. Apple and Microsoft has done a really great job over the years with delivering updates.

And BMW has done the same with over air navigation updates - it just downloads in the background, pauses if the connection is poop and continues when the signal is stronger.

Apologies for squirreling the thread topic on the latest iDrive update that's in the main thread which should be in:

iDrive, Audio, Phone, Electronics, Software, Coding
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=746
OTA's have never been flawless there's always a hiccup even if you're lucky and never experience it first hand. Every W10 update I get on my PC (I designed and built ) causes some issue. I've streamlined my copy of W10 through the forced removal of all bloatware and other things. It's sad when huge companies like MS can't do it right. BMW has a much smaller user base for the X5 (G05) so they shouldn't have any issues presumably given how it's rolling out to maybe 100K people at most (being very very generous with that number)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #51
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
OTA's have never been flawless there's always a hiccup even if you're lucky and never experience it first hand. Every W10 update I get on my PC (I designed and built ) causes some issue. I've streamlined my copy of W10 through the forced removal of all bloatware and other things. It's sad when huge companies like MS can't do it right. BMW has a much smaller user base for the X5 (G05) so they shouldn't have any issues presumably given how it's rolling out to maybe 100K people at most (being very very generous with that number)

I’ve hears horror stories of W10, but definitely respect Microsoft. I was worried you’d come in and have some bad things to say about the us Apple Fanboys. On a more serious note, a few months back, when I was stuck on the March update...I spoke with the geniuses, who mentioned the OTA would be rolled out in batches by VIN. I am sure this is the case, but no idea how incremental or how they’ll choose the chosen ones! I’ve just accepted they’ll get here when they get here. In the meantime, I’ll have to find something else to whine about on the X5. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #52
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Quote:

I’ve hears horror stories of W10, but definitely respect Microsoft. I was worried you’d come in and have some bad things to say about the us Apple Fanboys. On a more serious note, a few months back, when I was stuck on the March update...I spoke with the geniuses, who mentioned the OTA would be rolled out in batches by VIN. I am sure this is the case, but no idea how incremental or how they’ll choose the chosen ones! I’ve just accepted they’ll get here when they get here. In the meantime, I’ll have to find something else to whine about on the X5. Any suggestions?
No, to each their own. I was, at one point a hardcore Apple Fanboy myself so I get it. Now, I prefer things I have control over, hence my bootloader unlocked OnePlus 7 Pro (let's not mentioned my Note 10+ ), PC etc

W10 is a mess of barely Alpha releases mixed with semi stable normal launches.

I'm taking my car in for service #2 soon so I'll have them update it to whatever is the latest out. Maybe if I'm lucky there will be a way to enable the drivers assist view for MY19's
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #53
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
No, to each their own. I was, at one point a hardcore Apple Fanboy myself so I get it. Now, I prefer things I have control over, hence my bootloader unlocked OnePlus 7 Pro (let's not mentioned my Note 10+ ), PC etc

I'm taking my car in for service #2 soon so I'll have them update it to whatever is the latest out. Maybe if I'm lucky there will be a way to enable the drivers assist view for MY19's
I’m stuck I’m the ecosystem now...I went full Apple...you never go full Apple. More than my iPhone being a key, I want to see BMW get music services such as Apple and Spotify to stream directly to the car. I believe Tesla has this? Seeing as BMW is waking up to the fact Tesla is a threat, it would be nice!

Between the OTAs, the driving assistance features, etc...BMW is free to copy Tesla all they want in my book! They can leave the summon feature at home!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #54
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I’m stuck I’m the ecosystem now...I went full Apple...you never go full Apple. More than my iPhone being a key, I want to see BMW get music services such as Apple and Spotify to stream directly to the car. I believe Tesla has this? Seeing as BMW is waking up to the fact Tesla is a threat, it would be nice!

Between the OTAs, the driving assistance features, etc...BMW is free to copy Tesla all they want in my book! They can leave the summon feature at home!
I did, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, then one day I said this is dumb and switched everything over. I couldn't be happier

Tesla overpromises and under delivers which is the opposite of BMW so no they shouldn't copy them in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #55
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

AndroidRobot oh didn’t know that! Yeah I’ve seen a few articles about production runs of the model 3 having less crappy pieces and what not. I’d be pissed off if that was the case. It’ll be interesting to see how they fare when the big car manufacturers really start kicking into the EV world. It’s a cool concept that will be made better with auto manufacturing experience. And not made in tents! We will all be enjoying Elon’s tunnel highways in the future I’m sure!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #56
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
AndroidRobot oh didn't know that! Yeah I've seen a few articles about production runs of the model 3 having less crappy pieces and what not. I'd be pissed off if that was the case. It'll be interesting to see how they fare when the big car manufacturers really start kicking into the EV world. It's a cool concept that will be made better with auto manufacturing experience. And not made in tents! We will all be enjoying Elon's tunnel highways in the future I'm sure!
I'm referring to the 'autopilot', launch dates, production ramp etc. I don't dislike Tesla per say, but I don't like Elon's BS that people believe no matter how false it is. There's a whole website dedicated to his false statements in regards to what Tesla is doing so I'd rather BMW stay far away from that.

I'm hoping they will roll out OTAs so we can stop bugging dealers for updates because I'm sure they're tired of performing them constantly.

I'm an engineer, the usual stuff people spew with no evidence doesn't fly

I also don't party care to own an EV when a I6 or V8 is available because you can't beat the sound of a proper engine despite electric motors offer instant torque it's not the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #57
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
I'm referring to the 'autopilot', launch dates, production ramp etc. I don't dislike Tesla per say, but I don't like Elon's BS that people believe no matter how false it is. There's a whole website dedicated to his false statements in regards to what Tesla is doing so I'd rather BMW stay far away from that.

I'm hoping they will roll out OTAs so we can stop bugging dealers for updates because I'm sure they're tired of performing them constantly.

I also don't party care to own an EV when a I6 or V8 is available because you can't beat the sound of a proper engine despite electric motors offer instant torque it's not the same.

I think Tesla is in its own world. I agree with you regarding EVs, just seeing how complicated they will be down the road. No idea how or if people can even work on them. My favorite is the people telling me they’re more “green”. Where did you get your electricity to charge? Coal perhaps? What about those big old batteries after they’re cooked? I don’t know enough to speak intelligently on them. I just hope the big car companies don’t just shift their focus there and forget about what got them to where they are today...or half ass future improvements. Plus, I prefer being able to fill up without having to plan for charging stations along the way.

I do think the OTAs will be here soon and improvements will progress very well. Considering iDrive 7 just came out recently and BMW had me updating via USB last year, I think we will be ok. I’m starting to get antsy like a kid on Christmas.

I would like to have the option of purchasing features and enabling them after the purchase. I do believe I would be more likely to hold onto a vehicle longer. The constant trading in every couple years for a few neat features is getting old.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #58
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I think Tesla is in its own world. I agree with you regarding EVs, just seeing how complicated they will be down the road. No idea how or if people can even work on them. My favorite is the people telling me they’re more “green”. Where did you get your electricity to charge? Coal perhaps? What about those big old batteries after they’re cooked? I don’t know enough to speak intelligently on them. I just hope the big car companies don’t just shift their focus there and forget about what got them to where they are today...or half ass future improvements. Plus, I prefer being able to fill up without having to plan for charging stations along the way.

I do think the OTAs will be here soon and improvements will progress very well. Considering iDrive 7 just came out recently and BMW had me updating via USB last year, I think we will be ok. I’m starting to get antsy like a kid on Christmas.

I would like to have the option of purchasing features and enabling them after the purchase. I do believe I would be more likely to hold onto a vehicle longer. The constant trading in every couple years for a few neat features is getting old.
Sadly the face of a company can ruin something good in the publics eye

Yes, electric cars aren't green like people think, buying a new car is worse no matter how efficient than getting a used one in terms of pollution not that it bothers me either way.

I don't keep cars our if warranty so even with updates I won't keep mine past maybe 70k miles or 3 years (I'd extend my warranty slightly if needed)

OTAs need to roll out enmass or they risk hurting their image so BMW should make a change
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #59
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

AndroidRobot When I spoke with the BMW Genius Team (take this with a grain of salt), they mentioned a roll out by VIN batch. No idea how long that would do it. It would be nice if they allowed people to opt-in for beta updates. I know liability and safety may suffer, but a beta test among current customers prior to mass release would be nice. I know us folks would definitely find a bunch of things and provide good feedback. This way, I would have an excuse for taking it to the dealership if I screw something up. They need to figure out something, and it needs to be soon. You have people almost halfway into their lease and not OTAs or even a notable software update in sight.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #60
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
All of that makes me chuckle. a lot. I've been an apple, then Mac, developer since I was 13 years old, and I did that until about 2007 -- as a job I mean. It was my breadwinner, and I was one of the few who had enough knowledge to 'transit' from 'classic' to OSX, one of the reason was that I knew Mach very well -- in fact for many many years afterward, when you had kernel panic on your mac/iphone, it was MY driver who took over, from the lower level of the OS. I worked apple, I breathed apple, and there's still a poster with "Think Different" alongside the very first 1984 banner for the Macintosh in my office.

Now, as you might have incurred, I'm no longer a mac developer; I'm just about barely a Mac user these days, and I dread the time I'll have to recompile all my own tools on Castrophylina to keep them going for another cycle, but, well, perhaps I'll just give up entirely. In fact I haven't been USING a mac for god knows how long, as I've been building Hackintosh instead... And that's just so I can run mostly Photoshop and Lightroom, and the few tools I wrote over the years that I don't want to give up.

Sure I'm not representative of the general population, I ditched the iPhone after the 3gs, and I neve owned more than an iPad 1.

One thing I know a LOT of is software, and QA on software, and Apple in the 90 were a bloody nightmare (in a good way) to write software for, they were relentless, but the /result/ of countless rounds of QA was software that was bulletproof. I wrote, and shipped the software running the fax modems on apple laptop in the 90's and it shipped in like 23 languages, and could handle 10th of thousands of faxes on a 4MB lappy, and phone calls, and all that stuff.... All of that because it took a year of QA cycles.

That time is long gone. Now is the age of Bloat. Now only Bloat, but bloat with so many dependencies on stuff that are out of control of the main software developers that all you do is try to build something on jelly.

And, it acts like Jelly. Kick it on one side to fix a problem, and then watch the wobbles... :-)

</rant>
      11-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #61
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
AndroidRobot When I spoke with the BMW Genius Team (take this with a grain of salt), they mentioned a roll out by VIN batch. No idea how long that would do it. It would be nice if they allowed people to opt-in for beta updates. I know liability and safety may suffer, but a beta test among current customers prior to mass release would be nice. I know us folks would definitely find a bunch of things and provide good feedback. This way, I would have an excuse for taking it to the dealership if I screw something up. They need to figure out something, and it needs to be soon. You have people almost halfway into their lease and not OTAs or even a notable software update in sight.
The Genuis team knows very little from my experience although they have gotten me some good technical info when I was persistent and asked the right person so perhaps we will see.

I'm certain we will all know when OTAs start rolling out.

My X5 doesn't have many new bugs but some initial ones I've reported before still persist

my B&W system randomly changes the sound stage from 'on stage' to 'studio' and I have to switch it back
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:48 AM   #62
Aspen_ZA
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50d x 2 - His & Hers

Quote:
Enlighten me on the exact process then. You mean to say there’s NO way for an install to fail? I can tell you from personal experience I’ve had the exact thing happen. You must not own anything other than an iPhone. What happens if the download is interrupted? If the server crashes? You know from first hand experience that BMW will not have a server issue? You know that the car will 100% complete that install after downloading? Seriously man, you need to stop with your dimwit responses. Look at all the issues Apple had with Catalina, audioOS13, and issues from iOS13 in general. It happens. Your car is no different than your phone or your laptop.

You’re saying the ConnectedDrive app, BMW’s servers, and the actual update are going to have absolutely no issues through the process. Looks like we found our first volunteer to do the update. Stop with whatever personal vendetta you have...you apparently thought I was misinforming people about CarPlay being wired? Just stop.
Suggest you get a prescription for the highest dosage of Xanax available to calm down.

This is a forum where fellow members discuss problems and try and solve them in a civil manner.

You obviously have some serious issues. Perhaps fly out to Munich and stand outside BMW HQ and throw a tantrum / your toys out the cot there!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:38 AM   #63
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

This is what it shows on the Connected App for the "current" 40i UK software (which I am hoping will be updated next week).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:24 AM   #64
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCompromise View Post
This is what it shows on the Connected App for the "current" 40i UK software (which I am hoping will be updated next week).
Those are not current release notes, they are for last March's release.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #65
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Those are not current release notes, they are for last March's release.
I seem to recall someone asking this before but...is there no way, or place, or someone who can tell us what an iDrive update contains BEFORE we agree to have it installed? Due to the apparent lack of regression testing, if it pertains to a feature that is working properly on my car and there isn't any other benefit, one might decide to skip the update while awaiting a future one.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 07:52 AM   #66
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I seem to recall someone asking this before but...is there no way, or place, or someone who can tell us what an iDrive update contains BEFORE we agree to have it installed? Due to the apparent lack of regression testing, if it pertains to a feature that is working properly on my car and there isn't any other benefit, one might decide to skip the update while awaiting a future one.
It should be in the release notes. Realistically, they should be sending out release notes for not just the quarterly updates, but every .xx update. Unfortunately, even seeing the 03/2019 release notes, those are the initial ones from my guess. So every incremental 03/2019.xx update should have their own. I agree with you that there should be some type of informative piece to help you decide. Unfortunately, yet again, each update SHOULD improve on the last. Even with other software releases, such as iOS, they can cause some other wonky issues, hence why we're currently on 13.2.2 for iOS.

I do think that once they get the OTA updates figured out, BMW will hopefully have an easier time keeping us all on the same page. I just wonder if different packages/features put us on different updates. We already know some of the European folks are on 11/2019, so it may be that there's a handful of variations running around out there. Again, would be nice to just have a bit of literature on what we are installing.
Appreciate 0