gray_speedster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Before I go to the dealer, feedback on a few issues with my X5

I have had my X5 for a few months and it is the best vehicle I've owned to date. As with any car, I've come across a few issues that need to be addressed by the dealer. Before I take it in, I wanted to see if any one has encountered any of them and what the resolution was to make things easier for the dealer and get my X5 back as soon as possible.

- At speeds of 40 and above and 70 and above I hear this static low frequency sound while accelerating. It stops when I release the accelerator but starts back up when I accelerate again. I have the Bowers and Wilkins sounds system so maybe that?

- My passenger front seat headrest has developed a rattle. Not sure if this is a common one.

- Driver's door panel / B pillar area has developed a rattle. Not always there but can be usually hear a few times during a drive.

- Now that its cold out I changed my HVAC from AC to regular. I set it at 78 and on auto. However the front dash vents blow almost cold air while the setting my feet on fire with the heat down in the footwells. It just seems very unusual when compared to other vehicles I've had. The rear seat vents blow air as expected.

There are a few other things I am taking it in for, but those are specific to my car, like a misaligned trim piece.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_speedster View Post
- Now that its cold out I changed my HVAC from AC to regular. I set it at 78 and on auto. However the front dash vents blow almost cold air while the setting my feet on fire with the heat down in the footwells. It just seems very unusual when compared to other vehicles I've had. The rear seat vents blow air as expected.
Can't speak to the other issues, but the HVAC issue sounds like you just need to adjust the vent temperature settings in the HVAC menu. Sounds like you have the center vents set to their coldest setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Can't speak to the other issues, but the HVAC issue sounds like you just need to adjust the vent temperature settings in the HVAC menu. Sounds like you have the center vents set to their coldest setting.
This, on all bmw's the center vent is adjustable from cold to hot you have to change it manually, used to just be a dial by the vents.

All other things seem like legit complaints that may be simple fixes (not sure on the accelerator static, almost sounds like old school ignition noise on the radio)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
gray_speedster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
This, on all bmw's the center vent is adjustable from cold to hot you have to change it manually, used to just be a dial by the vents.

All other things seem like legit complaints that may be simple fixes (not sure on the accelerator static, almost sounds like old school ignition noise on the radio)
My HVAC settings are set to sync for all areas with at 78 degree temperature. Where would i find the menu option to adjust the vent temperature?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_speedster View Post
My HVAC settings are set to sync for all areas with at 78 degree temperature. Where would i find the menu option to adjust the vent temperature?
Here you go...

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...26&postcount=6
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Andyx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 3.0d

I have the headrest rattle as well . Let me know if hat they do to cure it. Very annoying as rest of the car rattle free
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
why do they do it like that? that's so annoying. That's happened to me so many times wondering why cold or hot air was blowing and then I remembered to flip that dial. Is that somehow a convenience or feature im not understanding?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
why do they do it like that? that's so annoying. That's happened to me so many times wondering why cold or hot air was blowing and then I remembered to flip that dial. Is that somehow a convenience or feature im not understanding?
The dial to change it used to be front and center, so it was a lot more convenient to adjust. It was a small controversy when they buried it into the climate control menus. Even my CA didn't know how to find it when I test drove the G05 - I had to show him (thanks to this board)

I really like the feature. I find it most useful in the summer when my car wants to blast the AC, but I don't necessary like freezing cold air blowing on my skin, so I adjust it down. That way I still get cool air, to cool me down, the cabin gets to 70 degrees as soon as possible - everyone is happy.

Looks like you can also set it to "AUTO" so it will adjust based on the temp you choose. That may be the way to go for you, so you can set it, and forget it.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      11-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
habacomike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 x5 M50i with DHP

Quote:
I believe it was to keep you awake by having cool air on your face and upper body. It has been a feature of every BMW I've owned with 1997.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #10
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The dial to change it used to be front and center, so it was a lot more convenient to adjust. It was a small controversy when they buried it into the climate control menus. Even my CA didn't know how to find it when I test drove the G05 - I had to show him (thanks to this board)

I really like the feature. I find it most useful in the summer when my car wants to blast the AC, but I don't necessary like freezing cold air blowing on my skin, so I adjust it down. That way I still get cool air, to cool me down, the cabin gets to 70 degrees as soon as possible - everyone is happy.

Looks like you can also set it to "AUTO" so it will adjust based on the temp you choose. That may be the way to go for you, so you can set it, and forget it.
okay I actually never thought about it like that, that is a cool feature. sorta defeats the purpose of that if they're gonna bury it in the menu instead of leaving it as a switch.

another reason it's annoying to me on the f15 is that these hot/cold settings are on both the center console vents in the front and rear. And non BMW people don't know about it, so I have to remember to change it to hot/cold in the front and back every season change. It's a lot easier for me to do it than having to tell people in the back what to adjust it as i'm driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The "stratified" air dial has been a BMW staple for multiple decades. I had it on my 1985 325e as well as my 1991 735iL. As mentioned already...it allows the driver to "temper" the air warmer/cooler from the dash vents without having to change the overall temp setting on the IHKA (auto-climate control panel).

On long trips, a driver could temper the air cooler to blow on their face (to keep them alert) while the passengers remained warm and cozy. And when BMW extended the stratified air dial to the rear passenger vent...this allowed them to temper the air warmer/cooler for times they may be on the sunny side of the car and want additional cooling...they can make their own adjustment without complaining to the driver to turn up the AC...or vice versa if they are cold and would like additional warm air.

I had an unusual climate situation a few weeks ago where the ambient temps had dropped down to the mid 50° F...but was humid. Running the AC to prevent condensation from fogging up the windows put a chill in the cabin, so I just reached up and moved the stratification dial to the red area...and VOILA...warmer air from the dash vents took the chill off my skin and the windows still stayed clear of condensation.

{illustration of air stratification from the e38 7 series era}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #12
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

that's a good explanation, thank you. I wish I knew about this 3 years ago when we got our F15 lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
gray_speedster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thanks for all the feedback. That was a totally new one for me. When I checked the settings last night on my way home it was set to the coldest setting. Moved it to the other side and all is good. One less thing on the list.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #14
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
I LOVE the cold/hit dial on my m2c... one of the best and smartest and simple!! temp control ever.

So on the g05 its not a dial anymore but digital? Digital buttons by the vents or digital like accessible thru idrive?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #15
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftpohyeah View Post
I LOVE the cold/hit dial on my m2c... one of the best and smartest and simple!! temp control ever.

So on the g05 its not a dial anymore but digital? Digital buttons by the vents or digital like accessible thru idrive?
Digitial through iDrive. But the A/C button on the dash takes you right to the menu, so it's not super inconvenient. Just more inconvenient than before.
Appreciate 1
Ftpohyeah283.00
      11-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay I know I sort of derailed this thread (sorry OP) but I actually tried out the hot/cold vent thing the last few days and holy crap am I impressed. I had no idea that's what it could be used for and you are all right, its a wonderful feature!! it took 3 years for me to discover this. No one, not our dealership or anywhere else made any mention of this feature.

And now you're saying they buried it in the OSD? that sucks...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #17
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Okay I know I sort of derailed this thread (sorry OP) but I actually tried out the hot/cold vent thing the last few days and holy crap am I impressed. I had no idea that's what it could be used for and you are all right, its a wonderful feature!! it took 3 years for me to discover this. No one, not our dealership or anywhere else made any mention of this feature.

And now you're saying they buried it in the OSD? that sucks...
As mentioned above, just push up direction on the center “menu/ac” button and it takes you into the area you can quickly change it. You can also use voice command. I agree the dial on my M2C is just faster. I guess we should be thankful we are not burdened with the dual touch screens as with Audi. They are even worse than the new X5 dial layout. I like physical buttons.

Last edited by MystroX5; 11-16-2019 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #18
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
As mentioned above, just push up direction on the center “menu/ac” button and it takes you into the area you can quickly change it. You can also use voice command. I agree the dial on my M2C is just faster. I guess we should be thankful we are not burdened with the dual touch screens as with Audi. They are even worse than the new X5 dial layout. I like physical buttons.
I mean the F15 x5 will be a 'hand me down' for me. It was my mom's and I'm convincing her to get the G05 because of all the automated driving and safety features the F15 series doesn't have. She won't be too bothered with the vent thing and I'm happy to have learned what the true purpose of it has been and was. But eventually her G05 will be the X5 I get after she gets a new one in a few years and like you, I also love physical buttons. I'm totally not a fan of tactile touch buttons that I have to take my eyes off the road to see what Im doing. I freaking love the fact that i can touch my way to changing the dial on the vents right now without having to nagivate to any button. This is one of the main reasons we love/loved BMW because they kept most of the button systems intact...

you would think the germans, who have resisted change in terms of going to touch screens and even cup holders would realize the utility of buttons in general would buck the trend but oh well. I will love the f15 buttons and the layout, regardless of how dated it seems, till I get my mom's hand me down G05 lol
Appreciate 0