Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
With all this coding, I've had to start recording what I've done.

Can someone confirm you lose everything when the car's software is upgraded by the dealer servicing?

I'm still on 07/2019.47 - and I'm very happy with it, but I fear when I take my ride in for the 1st vehicle check they'll probably upgrade the S/W.

If so, is there any way you can take a backup (via Bimmercode) to do a bulk restoration of what's already been coded?

...I'd pay to see the face of the mechanic who gets my car for the service !..especially when they see the Alpina instrument cluster !
A software upgrade will most likely wipe your coding, especially if all ECUs are flashed.

I'd be concerned what the servicing guys will say about warranty if they see blatant coding such as Alpina dash. Probably best to back-out changes before going in, but personal choice.

Same for insurance. If I was a loss adjuster and I could see that the car had deviated from the manufacturers recommended config, without be ing disclosed and accepted by the insurer, I'd use it as a way to avoid paying for any claim.

Odds are they would never notice but there is always the chance.
Maybe the Alpina cluster will be the most noticeable change to detect, but many of the other coding the guy must be a magician to detect it in my personal opinion

In my case my dealer knows about it, maybe I'm not concerned because I'm a friend starting from the owner to the guy that washes the cars after service, they also knew about my CarPlay interface i had on my former F15
In countries so small like mine things are done different and probably more personal, that's an advantage
      11-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #530
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LX570

I just got beta 3.4 iOS and code it with veepeak scanner.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #531
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
When you go into an ecu top right there is a on off for expert mode, in expert mode you will see all the same options as you see in esys FDL coding, so you can manual change each thing similar to esys.
Sorry .. where do I go for expert mode? I can't seem to be able to find it?
      11-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #532
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinf79 View Post
I only seem to be able to go into expert mode in the "Roof Function Center" (FZD_35) module. None of the other ones have "Expert Mode" as an option?
      11-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #533
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I only seem to be able to go into expert mode in the "Roof Function Center" (FZD_35) module. None of the other ones have "Expert Mode" as an option?
Click on instrument cluster then expert will in the bottom left.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #534
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hchhuor View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have all of those options?
      11-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #535
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Are you IOS or Android and what version do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #536
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You need to have BimmerCode beta 3.4 if you're want to become a beta tester send an email to support@bimmercodeapp.com and you have e to buy full version of bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #537
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You need to have BimmerCode beta 3.4 if you're want to become a beta tester send an email to support@bimmercodeapp.com and you have e to buy full version of bimmercode.
I have version 3.3 (10218), full version, iOS. Is the only way to have full access to expert mode is to become a beta tester?
      11-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #538
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Quote:
I have version 3.3 (10218), full version, iOS. Is the only way to have full access to expert mode is to become a beta tester?

Yes at this stage. If you do not want to beta test, ver 3.4 should be publicly released, one would assume, in the next few days to weeks, depending on feedback and fixes identified by the beta testers.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #539
martinf79
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Yes at this stage. If you do not want to beta test, ver 3.4 should be publicly released, one would assume, in the next few days to weeks, depending on feedback and fixes identified by the beta testers.
Got it... thank you for clarifying. I will just wait until it's released then.
      11-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #540
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Interesting...I am also on Beta testing but not all of the modules are green on mine. Im on 2019 X7 with 07/2019.53 iDrive.

What is yours?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #541
Hchhuor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
Interesting...I am also on Beta testing but not all of the modules are green on mine. Im on 2019 X7 with 07/2019.53 iDrive.

What is yours?
07/2019.70 not all green. Those pictures was in demo mode
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #542
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

My X5 having been updated yesterday, I attempted to re-code ASS. When starting Bimmercode it indicates "Updated coding data available", advising update is necessary to connect to the vehicle.
Selecting 'update now', briefly displays 'Updating now', then 'Coding data update failed - an error occurred while updating the coding data'.
Any suggestions as to what to try next?
I'm running Android 8.0.0 on a Galaxy S7. This is only the second time I've run Bimmercode on this device, the first time being a few months when it worked flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #543
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoWPK View Post
My X5 having been updated yesterday, I attempted to re-code ASS. When starting Bimmercode it indicates "Updated coding data available", advising update is necessary to connect to the vehicle.
Selecting 'update now', briefly displays 'Updating now', then 'Coding data update failed - an error occurred while updating the coding data'.
Any suggestions as to what to try next?
I'm running Android 8.0.0 on a Galaxy S7. This is only the second time I've run Bimmercode on this device, the first time being a few months when it worked flawlessly.
Problem solved.
To update coding data, the Bimmercode app itself needed to first be updated. That had occurred to me, but selecting Bimmercode within my phone's app manager didn't show an 'update' option. Loooking at this again, I selected 'App details in store' and did I find an app update option there. Updated the app and now Bimmercode was able to successfully update the coding data.
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50
      11-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #544
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Just decided to bite the bullet and buy an OBDLInk MX+, and bimmercode. However it doesn't seem to be working with Android. The app 'fails to connect' -- seems the connection is dropping all the time.
I managed to update the firmware using their own app, but it does the same with their's as well.
Moving the phone closer doesn't help at all, I'm like 30cm from the adapter and that doesn't help.

BummerCode!
      11-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #545
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Just decided to bite the bullet and buy an OBDLInk MX+, and bimmercode. However it doesn't seem to be working with Android. The app 'fails to connect' -- seems the connection is dropping all the time.
I managed to update the firmware using their own app, but it does the same with their's as well.
Moving the phone closer doesn't help at all, I'm like 30cm from the adapter and that doesn't help.

BummerCode!
I'm on Android (Samsung S10) and have the exact same OBDLink MX+, and it works fine. Check these items:

1. Make sure in the Bimmer App on your phone, under settings - the "OBD LX/MX/MX+" adapter is selected.

2. Ensure your phone is on "Airplane Mode" prior to trying to connect, but remember to re-enable Bluetooth.

3. As Bluetooth is re-enabled, go into your car settings and ensure your phone is "Disconnected" from the Car. I am sure you have your phone paired with your car via BT, so this needs to be disconnected - else the phone's Bluetooth cant pickup the OBDLink dongle.

4. Make sure the car is in Diagnostic mode - press the Start/Stop button 3 x times in quick succession and wait around 5 seconds - you will hear a gentle ring alarm and then "vehicle in diagnostic mode" come up in the Instrument cluster.

After the above, it should connect

It can be somewhat "unreliable" in connecting, sometimes I have try a few times - so be patient, but once connected its as solid a rock, I've never had it dropout or fail while reading the ECUs or coding.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 11-18-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
LexxM31698.50
buze132.00
      11-19-2019, 12:16 AM   #546
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
I'm on Android (Samsung S10) and have the exact same OBDLink MX+, and it works fine. Check these items:

1. Make sure in the Bimmer App on your phone, under settings - the "OBD LX/MX/MX+" adapter is selected.

2. Ensure your phone is on "Airplane Mode" prior to trying to connect, but remember to re-enable Bluetooth.

3. As Bluetooth is re-enabled, go into your car settings and ensure your phone is "Disconnected" from the Car. I am sure you have your phone paired with your car via BT, so this needs to be disconnected - else the phone's Bluetooth cant pickup the OBDLink dongle.

4. Make sure the car is in Diagnostic mode - press the Start/Stop button 3 x times in quick succession and wait around 5 seconds - you will hear a gentle ring alarm and then "vehicle in diagnostic mode" come up in the Instrument cluster.

It can be somewhat "unreliable" in connecting, sometimes I have try a few times - so be patient, but once connected its as solid a rock, I've never had it dropout or fail while reading the ECUs or coding.
I also have the MX+. I have used it with multiple cars and apps, always successfully, and without any tricks such as airplane mode or unpairing. That is how it should work, it's just one more Bluetooth connection.

If yours doesn't work, it may help to try the tricks. You might also want to try other simpler apps (such as OBDLink's own) to figure out which component is making trouble (phone, BT, MX+, app).

Last edited by perikifi; 11-19-2019 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Added OBDLink app
Appreciate 1
buze132.00
      11-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #547
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Quote:

I also have the MX+. I have used it with multiple cars and apps, always successfully, and without any tricks such as airplane mode or unpairing. That is how it should work, it's just one more Bluetooth connection.

If yours doesn't work, it may help to try the tricks. You might also want to try other simpler apps (such as OBDLink's own) to figure out which component is making trouble (phone, BT, MX+, app).
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
Quote:

The Bimmercode site recommends putting your phone into Airplane mode, and I'm guessing since they're the developers they know best.

I never said you need to unpair your phone, just disconnect it from the Car via iDrive. The last time I checked, you can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time from your phone, so if your phone is connected to the car, how will it Connect to the MX×?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #548
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Well I managed to get it working, using a combination of what was suggested...

+ Airplane mode
+ Disable the Bluetooth of the car
+ Enable Bluetooth on phone

That works. I tried again without airplane mode, and it worked too, so I suspect it's the phone<->car chatting that confuses the BT stack...

Anyway I managed to code assisted drive view in 'expert mode' -- but nothing else is really available in my Android version...
I'd like the lane-change-assist at least -- would the 'beta' allow me to code that?

I used the github XML page as a reference, there's quite a lot of stuff in there, but none can be accessed via the app...
      11-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #549
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
The last time I checked, you can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a time from your phone, so if your phone is connected to the car, how will it Connect to the MX×?
All your suggestions and notes above were spot on and it is important to follow developer instructions in a sensitive application like coding, but ... "last time you checked" must have been 7+ years ago as a single BT connection at a time limitation hasn't been the case on any modern smartphone in a long long time :-). There are limitations to be sure, they typically measure in 10-20 simultaneous connections in practice.

Nonetheless, your advice matches the stated requirements from Bimmercode developer and modern smartphones (and BMWs) are also full bugs and corner cases, so it is best to follow the instructions precisely.
      11-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #550
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
New update on beta test flight
Attached Images