BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Sorry, I don't recall anyone on the forum ever saying they were expected to be self healing. In my specific first and singular case, a minor nail nowhere near a sidewall that resulted in zero RFT pressure, did not allow the brand new P-Zero run flats to get me to a dealer 10km away with a promise of 100km or so range. That lack of meeting an explicitly marketed expectation is a singular and specific definition of "they suck" for me.
Above near the top there is a comment about slow air leak and filling it to get further. That is not how they work. Either way I might have miss understood their comment on that then. They need no air, but need the sidewall for sure. Every opinion matters to those who have them.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Sorry, I don't recall anyone on the forum ever saying they were expected to be self healing. In my specific first and singular case, a minor nail nowhere near a sidewall that resulted in zero RFT pressure, did not allow the brand new P-Zero run flats to get me to a dealer 10km away with a promise of 100km or so range. That lack of meeting an explicitly marketed expectation is a singular and specific definition of "they suck" for me.
The tires are designed to run on zero pressure so as long as the sidewall was not compromised you probably would have been fine. Of course that is easy to say from here.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
rparnel1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

The tires are designed to run on the sidewall and keep the wheel from scraping the ground when one goes flat, but, driving it on the sidewall still ruins the tire. It will get you home, but you need to replace it afterwards.

The info about ruining the tire once you drive on it while flat is not easy to find and kinda hidden by the runflat manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #26
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
The tires are designed to run on zero pressure so as long as the sidewall was not compromised you probably would have been fine. Of course that is easy to say from here.
It was fine for a couple of km. Then the rear end got wobbly and the tire started to make a "squishy" sound. I called the dealer service department and no one there would take responsibility for safety or rim damage (of course), so the result was flat bedding and a wasted day. The flatbed driver said "good call, looking at the tire and the squishy sounds indicate the sidewall has collapsed". So, not the promised 100km ...
      07-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #27
hk5er
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: I20 iX xDrive40i

I ordered my X5 with non runflat (19" 734) and BMW automatically added the tire repair kit (2VC) option. No spare tyres. Hopefully I don't get the chance to use the kit.
      07-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk5er View Post
I ordered my X5 with non runflat (19" 734) and BMW automatically added the tire repair kit (2VC) option. No spare tyres. Hopefully I don't get the chance to use the kit.
We don't have that option here in the US. I talked to a dealer here and asked if I could order the 19's with non run flats and was told no
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #29
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk5er View Post
That's interesting, I don't think we've heard of this for X5 in any other region.

RFTs are not repairable (eg plug) and that's clear from all communication, but I don't know if there is a lot of knowledge about RFTs and the messy seal-and-reinflate kits? Besides the mess on the rim, is that a "good idea" for RFTs if a spare is "impossible"?
      07-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #30
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting, I don't think we've heard of this for X5 in any other region.

RFTs are not repairable (eg plug) and that's clear from all communication, but I don't know if there is a lot of knowledge about RFTs and the messy seal-and-reinflate kits? Besides the mess on the rim, is that a "good idea" for RFTs if a spare is "impossible"?
I don't know the answer to your question but why can't you plug a run flat if the nail, screw or whatever punctured the tread area?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #31
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
I don't know the answer to your question but why can't you plug a run flat if the nail, screw or whatever punctured the tread area?
They says this because the assumption is that you drove with a flat on the side wall breaking down the integrity of the tire. So when you get to shop they do not fix those for liability.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #32
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
They says this because the assumption is that you drove with a flat on the side wall breaking down the integrity of the tire. So when you get to shop they do not fix those for liability.
I can buy that. In fact, same goes with any tire really if you are not able to stop as soon as it starts losing air. How many times have you seen a shredded tire along the interstate?

Tire pressure monitors help but few drivers are prepared to pull over, pull out the nail and plug and refill on the spot and if they wait while AAA is called, by the time they get there, the tire is as flat as pancake and toast. That's where run flats or self sealing tires come in.

Here's a short article that speaks to run flats vs self sealing tires - just an info article.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...sealing-tires/
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #33
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Good read
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #34
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
We don't have that option here in the US. I talked to a dealer here and asked if I could order the 19's with non run flats and was told no
I also asked for non run-flats. This dealer doesn’t stock anything BUT runflats, so they don’t have any alternates on hand, and they also insinuated it might affect the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #35
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
I also asked for non run-flats. This dealer doesn’t stock anything BUT runflats, so they don’t have any alternates on hand, and they also insinuated it might affect the warranty.
Obviously BMW sells cars with normal tires, I don't see why they won't let a buyer choose the one they want...I mean, who's paying for the car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #36
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Obviously BMW sells cars with normal tires, I don't see why they won't let a buyer choose the one they want...I mean, who's paying for the car anyway.
Yes, it is frustrating. I’m happy with my all-season tires for the moment. We only get a few rare days of snow or freezing roads here, and I simply don’t drive in such weather events.

I’m retired. Nowhere to go, nothing to do. Happy as a clam.

For a car I only plan to keep for four years, my biggest concern is what to do with the NEXT car. I know nothing about tires, we only have to buy them rarely (my last set was a 70,000 mile Bridgestone, on sale at sams that week).

I feel badly for all of you who have to worry about summer and winter conditions. I had a Honda Odyssey when I lived in Iowa, and rarely had trouble with what was probably all-season tires, but they always got roads cleared quick.

I lived in the Des Moines area, so basically the only large city in Iowa.

I also grew up and lived after college in New Hampshire. Didn’t change my tires then either. We just took our chances and tried to avoid driving during the worst conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #37
X5White
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Since I don’t have a spare, I’m probably going to get the Mobility kit and the DynaPlug kit. At least if I do have a flat & the run flat tires don’t hold up I can plug the tire & pump it back up and should at least be able to drive until I can get a new tire. Hopefully I will never need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #38
X5MBeast
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M

I just keep a mobility kit in all my cars. Runflat or not if the tire blows, your screwed. For the M5 I did purchase and extra rim/tire to keep on hand. When tires need to be changed I keep the best used tire and use that as a spare.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #39
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

The runflats have come a long way. The Bridgestone on my X5 actually aren’t terrible. Decent traction in snow and rain plus they haven’t knocked my teeth out yet.

If you drive most of the time in a metro area, runflats are fine except if they go bad. Some brands do not allow repairs (such as Pirelli) and shops like Discount Tire will only replace them. And of course they do not stock them.

Outside of a metro it gets more dicey since many shops have no idea how to work with them and do not have the equipment.

This is the first BMW that I haven’t replaced the runflats are purchase and I’ll probably run them until they need replacing.

This discussion always creates all kinds of reactions and debates!
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #40
hk5er
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: I20 iX xDrive40i

Quote:
Don't know much about RFTs but my last car 5GT came with RFTs. When I was quoted the price of replacement RFTs, followed by non RFTs, it was an easy decision...
LexxM31698.50
      07-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #41
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Mobility kit not for run flats?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #42
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtreo View Post
Mobility kit not for run flats?
The mobility kit, which is nothing more than a mini 12v air compressor and slime is not recommended for run flat tires. In fact, nothing is recommended for run flat tires, that's the main purpose of run flats, your tire pressure sensor tells you when you have an issue with a tire and you then schedule an appt to have it checked/replaced. If you blew the sidewall, you're calling a flatbed.

However, for non run flat tires, this may work. I run non run flats on my X3 and carry my own pump, vise grips, water bottle, jack, tire plug kits, etc and have used it on one of the front tires. I was lucky enough to see the nail in the tire after pulling into a rest area and parking the car. Came back to the car, saw the nail, said a few swear words (to give me strength), jacked it, pulled the nail out, squeezed out the glue onto the tire and on the plug and plugged it while it was still on the car. I then filled it with air from my little pump and off we went. Two years later and am still running that same tire without issue.

The Dynaplug may have also done the trick but I didn't know it existed two years ago. Here is a link to a Dynaplug video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjmPOrdd5b4

For me, no matter what kind of tires I'm running, I will alway carry tire repair tools and plugs in the car. The first objective is to be able to drive to a safe place, the last objective is to still be able to use the same tire till the tread wears out. All kinds of stuff happens in-between
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #43
SKBSY8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY19 X5 40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Hi everyone, I too did not purchase the "space saver spare" package when I order my car which I should've (regret now). I always feel safer with the spare in the car due to the past experience but dont know why I cheap out on the G05. Bought a set of wheel locks and found out that my car does not even come with the "wrench". I can't even do anything with it now . does anyone know whats the wrench size for the G05 ? looking to purchase one just in case anything happen.

Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #44
StrykerRan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Being this will be my first experience with Run Flats.. what happens if I get a nail (large enough, but not tire tearing) or some small puncture that is detected by the TPMS and I presume we can run another 50 miles, give or take--- and I park the car at night after using only running 5 miles on the nailed-tire. Does this mean the next morning the car is still good to go for another 45 miles? Or would I find a dead tire by next morning ?
Appreciate 0