BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
flighttracker44
Rep
Drives: X3

Color options - any insights?

Hi,

Like many others I'm very disappointed by the color options available on the X5/X6/X7. More in detail I'm missing the option of a silver or a lighter gray like space grey (surprise).

I know there are some threads discussing this but I don't think there any firm facts on the background of this limitation (sorry if I have missed something). In the threads I have read, there are mentions of technical limitations where some of the sensors related to advanced driving support systems are supposedly not functioning with those colors. However, for me that doesn't make sense as other models like the 7 series are available with 5-6 shades of silver/gray and still has the most advanced driving support systems.

I remember reading historically that the paint shop in Spartanburg has lower quality due to BMW merging some of the steps in the process because to capacity constraints (or similar). However space gray was available on some of the previous models and silver is currently an option on the X3 (all produced in the same factory).

So what's the real reason why BMW is not offering some of the most popular colors on the current models?

Are they trying to educate us consumers about style/trends or is there and actual technical or manufacturing limitation?

Most importantly, can we expect a change in the future with more options?

Does anyone have an insight/inside and can shed some light!?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flighttracker44 View Post
I know there are some threads discussing this but I don't think there any firm facts on the background of this limitation (sorry if I have missed something). In the threads I have read, there are mentions of technical limitations where some of the sensors related to advanced driving support systems are supposedly not functioning with those colors. However, for me that doesn't make sense as other models like the 7 series are available with 5-6 shades of silver/gray and still has the most advanced driving support systems.
I don't have any additional insight except you can't compare the 7 series with the X5/X6/X7 due to the different shapes of the body.

They offered Sunstone Metallic last year but driving assistance packages were not available with it. That, along with a member posting about reading an article explaining how some shades of metallic paint effect the system, has me believing that is the reason for the limited color choice. Hopefully that changes in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Xindicate
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i 2021

The X5M has Donington Gray (also Toronto Red and the Manhattan metallic), however I would not expect this to trickle down to non-M models as it would reduce the exclusivity of the color.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
I expect many factors, including economy of scale. It would be nice though, if more individual colors were available (other than the current two), for those who at least might be willing to pay for more choices.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Pure conjecture, but I think it is a self-reinforcing marketing problem. Some data showed some decline in sales with some color(s) and marketing decided it was because most people really only want black or white cars.
Then again, most people don't seem to care too much about their cars as long as it fits a price, doors, and fuel economy.

FWIW We have a Vermillion Red Metallic '10 X6, a Mineral Silver Metallic '14 X5, and now a Tanzanite Blue Metallic II '20 X5 so we are definitely NOT black/white car people. :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
BMW has the means to offer whatever they want but for some reason they choose not to. I'd love a full individual shop here for their X models. Maybe with the Alpina XB7 starting production next year in SC they will add more options
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
Pure conjecture, but I think it is a self-reinforcing marketing problem. Some data showed some decline in sales with some color(s) and marketing decided it was because most people really only want black or white cars.
Then again, most people don't seem to care too much about their cars as long as it fits a price, doors, and fuel economy.

FWIW We have a Vermillion Red Metallic '10 X6, a Mineral Silver Metallic '14 X5, and now a Tanzanite Blue Metallic II '20 X5 so we are definitely NOT black/white car people. :-)
I should've waited and gotten Ametrin Metallic but I'm happy with Carbon Black which isn't really black as you know. ideally a Green (Alpina Green), purple or different blue would also be nice.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Carbon Black really surprised me when I saw it in person, the blue is fantastic. On the lot it was the family favorite but we had not seen Tanzanite. I made a bold decision to buy it without ever seeing more than the paint sample at the dealership.
Appreciate 0