BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M- 40i

Got rear ended today. 😥

My 2019 X5 40I got rear ended today at a stoplight. The impact was serious enough that it set off the driver side and passenger side airbags. for both the front door and rear door. 4 airbags set off from a rear collision.

Pretty much destroyed the upper hatch and lower hatch rear. The rear bumper is destroyed.
I was also told that the right rear frame rail might be damaged, the floor pan would need to be replaced, the rear body panel, inner/outer quarter panel.
Of course the headliner since the airbags deployed. The car was disabled by the fuseable link that fired with the airbag deployment.

Needless to say it was not a good day. The person who hit me has coverage but only at the state minimum level so that presents another issue.

Car has about 13,000 miles on it.

Not sure how to proceed since the guys coverage will not take care of it my carrier will have to. Not sure I want the car back after repair and would prefer to make a deal with the dealer to trade it and they can repair.

Any thoughts?

I read an earlier post where somebody had a difficult time getting parts.

Last edited by midwestbmwguy; 12-09-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Sorry to hear that but the good part is you weren't injured. Just turn it in to your insurance and let them handle it. You can get your vehicle repaired and they will go after the other driver.

I doubt a dealer would take it as trade in the condition it is in and give you anything close to value for it. Best to get it repaired, see how things are and then decided whether you want to get rid of it. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
With the damage described, sounded like totalled or near-totalled. I'm surprised insurance wouldn't just declare it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have a feeling his carrier will throw his limited limits at the repair. Mine hopefully will cover the difference.

Last edited by midwestbmwguy; 11-12-2019 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
With the damage described, sounded like totalled or near-totalled. I'm surprised insurance wouldn't just declare it and move on.
Glad that you are not hurt, and I agree in suspecting that it is totaled. Someone over on g07 had their X7 50i rear ended in much the same manner, and I don't even think their airbags deployed. Their insurer declared it a total loss pretty quickly, even with such a high market value on the car.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658016

You have the option to go down the lawsuit route for the amount under-insured instead of using your own insurance from what I have heard. Not sure how making a claim for not-at-fault underinsured works. I'd like to think that it doesn't increase your rate, but I'm pretty cynical about those things.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

I got rear ended last year on Christmas eve. Of course the guy didn't have insurance and then tried to insinuate it was my fault for stopping when he was texting. minor damage but I was out the deductible. Great christmas present indeed
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
I got rear ended last year on Christmas eve. Of course the guy didn't have insurance and then tried to insinuate it was my fault for stopping when he was texting. minor damage but I was out the deductible. Great christmas present indeed
Should have taken him to small claims court for the deductible.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Wow that’s a lot of damage on that X7. Mine is not quite that extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Glad that you are not hurt, and I agree in suspecting that it is totaled. Someone over on g07 had their X7 50i rear ended in much the same manner, and I don't even think their airbags deployed. Their insurer declared it a total loss pretty quickly, even with such a high market value on the car.

https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1658016

You have the option to go down the lawsuit route for the amount under-insured instead of using your own insurance from what I have heard. Not sure how making a claim for not-at-fault underinsured works. I'd like to think that it doesn't increase your rate, but I'm pretty cynical about those things.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #9
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Got rear ended today. ?

Wow man I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm an insurance agent and there are fewer things in this world that piss me off more than a cheap ass riding around with state minimum coverage...

Unless you're in a no-fault state, the at-fault party's insurance company will pick up the tab up to his policy's property damage limit. If you or any occupants in your vehicle were injured his policy's bodily injury portion will take care of any medical expenses you incur. As was suggested by other posters, I really wouldn't be surprised if your vehicle is totaled. From my experience, once the cost to repair approaches 75 to 80 percent of the vehicle's actual cash value at the time of loss it generally isn't worth repairing. Your insurance policy's collision coverage will pay out less whatever your deductible is. They WILL attempt to recover this from the guy that rear ended you. Should they be successful you will get your deductible back.

Assuming no fault is assigned to you in this case - and it won't be - you won't be looking at any rate increases so no worries there.

I remind my clients of this all the time: you're okay. Claims are no fun and accidents (and the days following them) are a royal pain to deal with. But you're alive and you're here to deal with it all. We can repair and replace things - we just can replace YOU. Always gotta check your perspective and focus on the important things in times like this.

Please keep us updated and let me know if I can help with any of the insurance dealings.

Hope you had a drink tonight!
Appreciate 4
buze132.00
TurtleBoy13182.50
natahoa252.00
      11-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #10
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
My 2019 X5 40I got rear ended today at a stoplight. The impact was serious enough that it set off the driver side and passenger side airbags. for both the front door and rear door. 4 airbags set off from a rear collision.

Pretty much destroyed the upper hatch and lower hatch rear. The rear bumper is destroyed.
I was also told that the right rear frame rail might be damaged, the floor pan would need to be replaced, the rear body panel, inner/outer quarter panel.
Of course the headliner since the airbags deployed. The car was disabled by the fuseable link that fired with the airbag deployment.

Needless to say it was not a good day. The person who hit me has coverage but only at the state minimum level so that presents another issue.

Any thoughts?

That was me. I’ll post the link to my thread after I write this.
Five weeks waiting for the bumper COVER. Finally they decided to re-mold the bumper cover and return the car to me until the part arrives.

The re-mold looks so good I’m tempted to put the new bumper cover is my shed, or on eBay.

So get ready for a long wait. Assuming you have collision coverage and the accident wasn’t your fault, you will be covered after your deductible.

If you don’t have frame damage, the car should be fine and like new after repairs. Be sure to check on that YOURSELF. If it has frame damage the insurance company is more likely to total it.

If you want to trade it in, you will take a hit just like selling any other relatively new car. My car only had 5,000 miles on it, and I have a loan, not a lease. So you may be in better shape for a trade than I was, but don’t expect miracles.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is the link to the thread on my rear-end repair, which was purely cosmetic. It has been more than six weeks and still awaiting bumper cover replacement part. See the thread for more details.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1661099
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Another thought - if it NOT totaled let me know. Maybe my dealer can send the bumper cover to your dealer so you don’t have to wait two months to get the car back.

My repaired bumper cover is fine and I can live with it for a few months until another one arrives.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Another thought - if it NOT totaled let me know. Maybe my dealer can send the bumper cover to your dealer so you don’t have to wait two months to get the car back.

My repaired bumper cover is fine and I can live with it for a few months until another one arrives.
Thanks for the offer. I guess we’ll see what they say as far as parts and time to reassemble / repair the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #14
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I wonder if I could get the dealer to cash me out of the car if I buy a new car. Has anybody ever done that with a wrecked vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #15
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
I wonder if I could get the dealer to cash me out of the car if I buy a new car. Has anybody ever done that with a wrecked vehicle.
What would be the dealer's incentive to buy a wrecked auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #16
homerrr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

If they have their own body shop they may be able to fix it for cheap and sell the car for much to the next sucker.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #17
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrr View Post
If they have their own body shop they may be able to fix it for cheap and sell the car for much to the next sucker.
Even if they can fix for cheap and flip it the dealer is taking a huge hit on the depreciation and on the reduced value due to the accident. Probably a break even proposition at best. This car is worth, I'm guessing, 50% of what he paid for it, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 09:44 PM   #18
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They have a BMW. Collision center and also 15 bmw dealerships in the US.
The incentive is they sell a new car. It might be a stretch but perhaps they want to make a deal.
I rather take the hit now.
Worth a try but if not then I fix and sell it.
It’s a nice vehicle but not as nice as the two 750li xDrives I had before the X5

Last edited by midwestbmwguy; 11-13-2019 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #19
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They have a BMW. Collision center and also 15 bmw dealerships in the US.
The incentive is they sell a new car. It might be a stretch but perhaps they want to make a deal.
I rather take the hit now.
Worth a try but if not then I fix and sell it.
It’s a nice vehicle but not as nice as the two 750li xDrives I had before the X5
Let us know how it goes. Worst case, you get your car fixed, insurance should cut you a check for depreciated value, then you can sell - or hopefully the dealer will work with you since it looks like you're a valuable customer.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #20
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:

Not sure how to proceed since the guys coverage will not take care of it my carrier will have to. Not sure I want the car back after repair and would prefer to make a deal with the dealer to trade it and they can repair.

Any thoughts?

Who is your insurer? (Always use your company in crashes as the other insurer is NOT yours and has completely different duties owed.)

I read all the posts here. You have a lot to deal with unfortunately, including diminution in value issues. Not sure if that is recoverable in your state, but keep it in mind.

You also have temp car issues as that fix is a long one.

Hopefully you have a good carrier with an agreed value policy (NOT ACV) who will total the car, cover financing gap if you have one, and you can start over.

Nice cars need nice insurance. There is a difference that most find out after a loss.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #21
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgjoX6M2016 View Post
Who is your insurer? (Always use your company in crashes as the other insurer is NOT yours and has completely different duties owed.)

I read all the posts here. You have a lot to deal with unfortunately, including diminution in value issues. Not sure if that is recoverable in your state, but keep it in mind.

You also have temp car issues as that fix is a long one.

Hopefully you have a good carrier with an agreed value policy (NOT ACV) who will total the car, cover financing gap if you have one, and you can start over.

Nice cars need nice insurance. There is a difference that most find out after a loss.

Good luck.
^ Some great advice here! DgjoX6M2016 knows his stuff. I wanted to clarify a couple of things though:

Generally speaking, I'd say 9/10 times, I encourage my own clients to start with the at-fault party's insurance company. You don't have to pay a deductible and are usually provided a rental car as a courtesy. In this case it doesn't sound like their insurance company will be able to cover the whole thing anyway so just start with your own and let them handle it all.

Second, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a mainstream insurance company that's going to give you anything other than an ACV policy on a new (or newer) BMW. Unless you have a classic car or a new vehicle that's been significantly modified, you're not getting agreed value. You mitigate your risk by carrying gap or some type of new car replacement endorsement if there isn't a lienholder (and even this only lasts for a model year or two).

OP, what state are you in?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #22
midwestbmwguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Be glad to chat with you off-line on details
Appreciate 0