Just got my car back from the dealer and they updated it to 11/2019.30
Attached Images

11-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Are you located in the US?

I just wish we had some release notes! It's a mystery if a feature is added, something is fixed, etc.

I just hope we don't all have to go to the dealership to get a software update that enables remote software updates.

COME ON BMW!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
Are you located in the US?

I just wish we had some release notes! It's a mystery if a feature is added, something is fixed, etc.

I just hope we don't all have to go to the dealership to get a software update that enables remote software updates.

COME ON BMW!
Looks like he drives a M50d from his profile, so not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Looks like he drives a M50d from his profile, so not in the US.

Good catch. Just saw that now. Would be nice if we got some release notes on our vehicles. I am just very confused, since a vehicle with certain packages could have a different version than one without. Some communication from BMW would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Good catch. Just saw that now. Would be nice if we got some release notes on our vehicles. I am just very confused, since a vehicle with certain packages could have a different version than one without. Some communication from BMW would be nice.
Absolutely - that way you can decide whether or not it's worth the trip to the dealership to get the new version based on what's being fixed since there's no OTA updates yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #6
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Absolutely - that way you can decide whether or not it's worth the trip to the dealership to get the new version based on what's being fixed since there's no OTA updates yet.

Exactly...I like to maintain a good relationship with my dealership, but I feel like I'm crying wolf every single time there's a software update. I can only use the "Oh my CarPlay disconnects" excuse so many times.

I think this piggybacks off the CarPlay subscription. The OTA updates are on a 4-year subscription. For those who purchased the vehicle and plan on keeping it beyond that time, it's money flushed down the toilet until they get this whole thing figured out.

Call me crazy, but aren't pushing updates remotely pretty important when you advertise remote updates? I did not see any caveats stating "at a later date". I really hope they are not ignoring this, because it was a big selling point for me. I hate going to the dealership unless it is absolutely necessary. My next trip will be my fourth time going in for a software update.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

I am from the UK. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what this update brings. All I know is they kept referring to it as a security update.
      11-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #8
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
I also got my car back today from service with the exact same version. M50d in Sweden.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
According to my garage certified 'BMW Digital Services Expert' who I get along quite well, the OTA should start to appear any time now...
      11-14-2019, 01:11 PM   #10
six
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
According to my garage certified 'BMW Digital Services Expert' who I get along quite well, the OTA should start to appear any time now...
Interesting, let’s hope so! Do you think it will need a s/w update to enable it or will it become available for all? I should imagine it should be switched on for all, would be a logistical nightmare to bring in all the cars to upgrade before before it starts working.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Hi, have you guys seen that on the latest reviews of BMW cars the ACC has this new view a’la Tesla which a lot of guys here were talking about (and coding it). But now it seems that it’s already available in production cars.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Interesting, let’s hope so! Do you think it will need a s/w update to enable it or will it become available for all? I should imagine it should be switched on for all, would be a logistical nightmare to bring in all the cars to upgrade before before it starts working.
As long as you have at least 07/2019.53 you should be fine at least that was the version that would have the framework for OTA updates if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
Hi, have you guys seen that on the latest reviews of BMW cars the ACC has this new view a’la Tesla which a lot of guys here were talking about (and coding it). But now it seems that it’s already available in production cars.

i fell asleep like 5 min to this video. guy is boring af
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
the framework for OTA updates
What does this mean?

iDrive 7 has always had the ability to look for new S/W, and obviously it always come back with "No update available".

The "excuse" the dealer has given me for OTA not working today is the backend communications infrastructure at BMW. Connected Drive comms is still fairly "flaky" these days, so can you imagine all the cars out there trying to download a new S/W version at the same time.

With all the cloud storage, computing and 4G mobile network coverage these days, I cant believe a company like BMW is still struggling. They seriously need to employ some decent Comms Engineers and just get it done.
If the Gaming companies can do it (eg. I heard the latest "Call-of-Duty" game update a few weeks ago was 70GB), then I dont understand the issue.

Does anyone know how large the SW upgrade file(s) are? (the Connected Drive App in the SW upgrade session says 800Mb)

Maybe release it via Smartphone download first, which can then download to your vehicle when its connected, and then release direct OTA to vehicles when they have their crap together.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
What does this mean?

iDrive 7 has always had the ability to look for new S/W, and obviously it always come back with "No update available".

The "excuse" the dealer has given me for OTA not working today is the backend communications infrastructure at BMW. Connected Drive comms is still fairly "flaky" these days, so can you imagine all the cars out there trying to download a new S/W version at the same time.

With all the cloud storage, computing and 4G mobile network coverage these days, I cant believe a company like BMW is still struggling. They seriously need to employ some decent Comms Engineers and just get it done.
If the Gaming companies can do it (eg. I heard the latest "Call-of-Duty" game update a few weeks ago was 70GB), then I dont understand the issue.

Does anyone know how large the SW upgrade file(s) are? (the Connected Drive App in the SW upgrade session says 800Mb)

Maybe release it via Smartphone download first, which can then download to your vehicle when its connected, and then release direct OTA to vehicles when they have their crap together.
I would imagine that when they did the few test OTA's back in June they found some problems so that is why they needed to release a version to take care of those. That is why BMW (at least in the US) sent out the email for all owners to take their vehicles in for the update so OTAs can be done in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #16
spike5150
Captain
Rep

I’m going in tomorrow for SW update (USA)”
. Will see if I can get 11/19.30
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:43 PM   #17
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
I have an xLine 40i and just my car back with 7.2019.70. My previous version was .44.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Keep me updated as I have been putting this off all summer. I need to get my first oil change and software update this month.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:32 AM   #19
Arcticrunner
England
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 M50D

I have had BMWs for 20 years now. The one thing that is making me frustrated is the lack of clarity on software upgrades. I have 03/2019.40 version and I am told that no update is available. When I spoke to the service manager he said' every car was different' Connected Drive said you will get an OTA update when the app notifies you. There are no release notes and no logic applied to these updates, as far as I can see. It appears that BMW is not being clear with us about these upgrades and the service center, has even less idea. very disappointed that a company like this is causing confusion.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #20
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticrunner View Post
I have had BMWs for 20 years now. The one thing that is making me frustrated is the lack of clarity on software upgrades. I have 03/2019.40 version and I am told that no update is available. When I spoke to the service manager he said' every car was different' Connected Drive said you will get an OTA update when the app notifies you. There are no release notes and no logic applied to these updates, as far as I can see. It appears that BMW is not being clear with us about these upgrades and the service center, has even less idea. very disappointed that a company like this is causing confusion.
Although I haven’t been with BMW as long as you, I agree. It’s very annoying. I can never tell if it’s intentional or just plain honest about service folks being in the dark about it. I find it hard to believe that there’s this much disparity. Taking it in for CarPlay connectivity is a joke. There are no release notes to see if it’s worth the time. We are paying for the remote updates, as we are subscribed to them on the ConnectedDrive Portal. It’s just like CarPlay and all the BS that happened in the first year. For the people who say “it’s included for X amount of years”...yes, and I’ve paid for it. I don’t care if I have updates included for four years. If I purchased and didn’t lease, I damn well better get that extended a year. Somewhere in the total cost of the vehicle, I paid for that, and I paid for their ever so kind 1 year of CarPlay. It’s a joke.

I can’t stand coming on here (NO OFFENSE TO YOU
GUYS!) and seeing someone took their vehicle in a week after I got mine back and there’s a new update. Did it include something I should have? Will I get a remote update? Do I have to take a day or two to go back to the dealer and get an update? For as much as the car cost, I better have the latest and greatest. I wouldn’t even be on the version I am without going to the dealer. The remote updates are a joke. The updates in general have been a joke. Fix one thing, break 5 more. This isn’t even beta testing, it’s alpha testing. The iOS betas have been way more stable, and they can do a whole hell of a lot more. BMW needs to fix this, and hire a team to bring them up to speed. Don’t advertise and continue to advertise something you can’t deliver. Comp the people a year, it’s not like BMW paid to develop anything over that year. If they did, then they are about as dumb as a box of rocks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:16 AM   #21
Arcticrunner
England
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 M50D

That sums it up, happy Friday

Quote:
Although I haven’t been with BMW as long as you, I agree. It’s very annoying. I can never tell if it’s intentional or just plain honest about service folks being in the dark about it. I find it hard to believe that there’s this much disparity. Taking it in for CarPlay connectivity is a joke. There are no release notes to see if it’s worth the time. We are paying for the remote updates, as we are subscribed to them on the ConnectedDrive Portal. It’s just like CarPlay and all the BS that happened in the first year. For the people who say “it’s included for X amount of years”...yes, and I’ve paid for it. I don’t care if I have updates included for four years. If I purchased and didn’t lease, I damn well better get that extended a year. Somewhere in the total cost of the vehicle, I paid for that, and I paid for their ever so kind 1 year of CarPlay. It’s a joke.

I can’t stand coming on here (NO OFFENSE TO YOU
GUYS!) and seeing someone took their vehicle in a week after I got mine back and there’s a new update. Did it include something I should have? Will I get a remote update? Do I have to take a day or two to go back to the dealer and get an update? For as much as the car cost, I better have the latest and greatest. I wouldn’t even be on the version I am without going to the dealer. The remote updates are a joke. The updates in general have been a joke. Fix one thing, break 5 more. This isn’t even beta testing, it’s alpha testing. The iOS betas have been way more stable, and they can do a whole hell of a lot more. BMW needs to fix this, and hire a team to bring them up to speed. Don’t advertise and continue to advertise something you can’t deliver. Comp the people a year, it’s not like BMW paid to develop anything over that year. If they did, then they are about as dumb as a box of rocks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #22
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

Even though I got this update, the dealership had no idea it was available. I asked them to call me before doing any updates. I get a call to say my car is ready, I ask about the update and the service advisor had no idea. All she said was 'it already has the latest version on it'. I literally gave up at this point.
When I went to collect the car, I wasn't given any paperwork to explain what had been done, therefore I was in the dark without any release notes. Anyhow they kept repeating 'it's on the latest version and it was a PDC Customer Experience Update'. Anyhow, I drove off and when I got home I checked and 11/2019.30 was the new version.
Unfortunately, it seems BMW service department themselves don't know what they are doing. It really is a shame, this is my first BMW and not the level of service I would expect for one of their flagship models.
Hopefully, we will get OTA updates and this will be a thing of the past.