Personally, I'm getting tired of waiting but at least I know I'm not alone

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I always believe it is best to lease a vehicle when it is in year one or two (I have seen some articles showing that year two vehicles actually have more problems than first year vehicles). You still have the problems either way but you know there is and end in sight and that you will not possible be stuck with a problem vehicle for many years.

I have had mine since January and it has spent almost 6 weeks in the shop due to the two times the vehicle communications went out. It didn't make it any less disappointing/frustrating/aggravating/etc. that I was leasing but I would hope that by year 4 when I'm going to buy my next one that problem is just a distant memory for the X5.

Actually I would hope there systems would be at a point for model launch that issues like this don't exist but as we have seen, that has not been the case of the X5 in general and iDrive specifically.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I always believe it is best to lease a vehicle when it is in year one or two (I have seen some articles showing that year two vehicles actually have more problems than first year vehicles). You still have the problems either way but you know there is and end in sight and that you will not possible be stuck with a problem vehicle for many years.

I have had mine since January and it has spent almost 6 weeks in the shop due to the two times the vehicle communications went out. It didn't make it any less disappointing/frustrating/aggravating/etc. that I was leasing but I would hope that by year 4 when I'm going to buy my next one that problem is just a distant memory for the X5.

Actually I would hope there systems would be at a point for model launch that issues like this don't exist but as we have seen, that has not been the case of the X5 in general and iDrive specifically.
As we sparred about before, do you think it is the iDrive issue or vehicle as a whole? My previous BMW, albeit an F80, never had issues. I am not sure if the M cars are given more effort, if the German manufactured vehicles are more stringent, or if it is a Year 1 or 2 thing? iDrive 6 was boring, but never had issues. The G05 is awesome as a vehicle down to its bones. Some people had issues, but that’s to be expected. All my problems or complaints stem from iDrive 7 or other electronics. I think it’s a technology problem. People want more tech and the manufacturers are rushing to meet that. They’re trying to one up each other without first perfecting what they have.

At the end of the day, when I hit a pothole with a BMW, I don’t crack my teeth and crap my pants. The same can’t be said for many other manufacturers’ vehicles I’ve driven.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

The German's have for quite some time been early adopters of new technology where Japanese manufacturers generally follow quite some time later. The latter enjoy a better, indeed the best, reputation for reliability, while the former enjoy a reputation for offering the latest technology. You pays your money and you makes your choice.

That said, our '19 X5 is our 4th Bimmer over the past several years, three of which we purchased in the first year of a new generation. Problems have been very few, and those readily corrected, while overall, all have been very reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Lexus GX after no changes for like 10 years and a 20 year old engine should be on the most reliable list ever.
Appreciate 0