BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

One year after X5/iDrive 7 and no OTA updates still....

It's been a year since the release of the new X5. OTA updates are subscription based. With the first three years "included" in the price of the vehicle.

BMW - can I get a refund for the first year? Or - are you going to extend the service by a year at no charge? Better yet - how about paying me to be a beta tester!?

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Good luck! It’s right around the corner! I heard from a friend of a friend who knows a service advisor’s dog walker.

Be careful what you post, you might get certain people’s panties in a bunch if you dare question BMW’s software and it’s roll out!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Ya kinda like buying a new overpriced Mac and it won't connect to the internet for the first year despite them telling you it would - they should automatically be extending the subscription for that and their shitty carplay that didn't work for the first year either (not to mention digital key, but that may be an apple issue, but they still over sold it and said it would be working within a few months of buying the car)
Appreciate 2
lumpydog690.50
      11-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Ya kinda like buying a new overpriced Mac and it won't connect to the internet for the first year despite them telling you it would - they should automatically be extending the subscription for that and their shitty carplay that didn't work for the first year either (not to mention digital key, but that may be an apple issue, but they still over sold it and said it would be working within a few months of buying the car)
I’m seeing all these articles about Apple and BMW leading the digital security consortium in regards to vehicles. My only concern will be the standard. I’m seeing a lot about ultra wide band on the latest standard, which would nix everything before iPhone 11.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
It's been a year since the release of the new X5. OTA updates are subscription based. With the first three years "included" in the price of the vehicle.

BMW - can I get a refund for the first year? Or - are you going to extend the service by a year at no charge? Better yet - how about paying me to be a beta tester!?

Yep, they are free! Maps are updated
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:13 AM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
Yep, they are free! Maps are updated
Unless of course, you are a US service member stationed in Europe with a US spec car.

In that case.... it isn't worth BMWs effort to get the navigation system on all cars with Idrive7 working AT ALL.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:27 AM   #7
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Unless of course, you are a US service member stationed in Europe with a US spec car.

In that case.... it isn't worth BMWs effort to get the navigation system on all cars with Idrive7 working AT ALL.
and no NAV means very limited Assisted Drive features too!
Appreciate 0