BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Road trip spare tire dilemma

I have a 2022 40i with run flat tires that my wife and I take on 1000 mile road trips with a cat who travels in the cargo area behind a pet barrier that he shares with a kitty litter box, food and water bowls and other travel stuff. The back seat area is filled with luggage and supplies and other travel gear, which includes a 12v. air compressor. We have car insurance roadside assistance and BMW roadside assistance.

So I have been thinking about options when our luck runs out and we have a flat tire. The trips are on well travelled freeways and not back roads.

1. Do nothing. This is tempting, assuming we can make it to a place for repair or replacement 275-45-20 tires. But I don't enjoy thinking about going 50mph where everyone else is going 80mph. Reading these forums has me considering a tire repair kit but I have never used one.

2. Compact spare. But where do I put the flat tire? And I am still limited to 50mph. Also not sure what the travel distance limit is for these? And I am a 70 y/o retired guy who can't remember the last time I changed a tire...I guess we could wait 5 hours for roadside assistance...

3. Full size spare on a hitch mount for spare tires. TireRack has low cost non-runflat tire and wheel combos in correct size. Amazon has many hitch mounts about $100. But I have never seen one of these in use on any car and not sure about quality for that price. Tire might disappear overnight from the hotel parking lot...

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Fol...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Any thoughts appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

You do have runflats, so option 1 seems good. Especially on well traveled freeways.

Also, the 50mph only kicks in if you really mess up the tire (such as a blowout), not if you get a random nail which causes pressure to slowly leak. If that's the case just top off the air periodically until you can have the tire repaired or replaced.

Edit: Don't forget you also have BMW roadside assistance on the '22. Which, worst case, BMW Roadside Assistance will provide towing service to the nearest authorized BMW Center.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

These threads make me appreciate that I ordered the spare tire option. I also plan to ditch the runflats soon. In the OP's case I'd roll the dice , stay on main roads with fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
bandersen590.00
      03-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #4
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Personally I decided on the compact spare, which you can read about in this post. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27692958

What tipped the balance for me was that when I have to buy new tires, I can switch to non-run flat tires for better comfort.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602217.00
      03-12-2023, 03:53 PM   #5
Celos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
3. Full size spare on a hitch mount for spare tires.
Forum member DwainA has a hitch-mounted tire carrier with a full-sized spare as detailed in this thread:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1905422

I would have ordered the spare tire if it were possible, but alas it is not with the 45e.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 04:22 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The majority of flats end up in a slow leak, which a compressor can help alleviate prior to an opportunity to see if it is repairable.

If it is a small puncture, the readily available string plug repair kits can work quite successfully if the hole is in a repairable area, but shouldn't be counted on as a permanent repair. Prior to radial tires and internally installed plug patches, string patches were the norm for decades. If suitable for any patch, a string plug should get you to somewhere where it's comfortable to get a 'proper' repair done...some have used them for thousands of miles. The general scheme for a string patch is to pull the object out, use the supplied reamer to clean up the hole, then, insert the string patch, and wait a bit for the adhesive to bond, then fill up the tire.

Neither a compressor nor a string patch kit take up much room, or cost that much. Depending on where and when it happens, roadside service may be your best solution. Note, if you drive a RFT at actual zero pressure, you should replace the tire. If you keep filling it up with a slow leak, you could probably make it through your whole trip without further action other than stopping to put air back in. Some places are both illegal and dangerous to stop, so that can require some planning and is where a RFT could be your savior.

Most compact spares DO have a maximum speed molded into their sidewalls, and some of that is because of the heat generated (it will flex more), and some is the fact that it won't have as much grip, potentially throwing off the handling, and braking distances will be longer, so it's safer to limit how fast you're going.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 04:51 PM   #7
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Keep in mind that a runflat can suffer a catastrophic blowout that renders it impossible to continue driving. Without a spare your only option is a flatbed to the nearest tire store or dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 05:02 PM   #8
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

For my level of risk acceptance, I will choose based on where I do that 1000 mile road trip. Somewhere along the places I am familiar with, I will option A with a portable compressor. For slow leak, I just keep topping it off until I get to a place for repair or replacement, should be close by. Catasphophic blown out is rare but if it happen, flatbed to tire shop. A specific example for me will be home (SF bay) to Tahoe or SoCal down to San Diego. We did this kind of trip multiple times a year for different reasons. I think I know where I need to go if something happen along the way.

If I am going that 1000 miles trip to places I am not familiar, I will bring a spare or rent a car if spare isn't possible. A specific example for me will be trip to PortLand, or Salt lake for Grand Canyon
      03-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #9
TheACN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
We traveled across US over 5000k miles this past summer. Highways, backroads, mountain roads, desert roads you name it. No spare, just stock runflats, and a satellite phone that I always keep in the glove box just in case.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 09:48 PM   #10
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
Personally I decided on the compact spare, which you can read about in this post. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27692958

What tipped the balance for me was that when I have to buy new tires, I can switch to non-run flat tires for better comfort.
Get a compact spare. There are some bad stories out there where the run flats suffer a catastrophic flat and the drivers are stuck... some for me days while a tire is shipped in. Make room for the compact spare. With any luck, it will be a waste of money.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2023, 10:29 PM   #11
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Get a compact spare. There are some bad stories out there where the run flats suffer a catastrophic flat and the drivers are stuck... some for me days while a tire is shipped in. Make room for the compact spare. With any luck, it will be a waste of money.
This consideration got me to load a full-size spare wheel and tire in the cargo area for our 5300 mile trip to the Grand Canyon. Considering how vast the distances are in the West, it was the right move - fortunately we didn’t need it. We also had a compressor with us.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2023, 10:30 PM   #12
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Doesn't the 2022 40i have the spare tire well under the floor in the back? My X5 has it but I didn't get it with a spare tire.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602217.00
      03-12-2023, 11:22 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Most of the X5 line has room for a compact spare except for the 45e, which has the fuel tank on top of the batteries, so there's not enough depth for one, at least underneath the floor.

In lots of miles with RFT, so far, I've only had slow leaks that the compressor can keep up until I was able to get things resolved long-term.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 11:40 AM   #14
Phasers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i, 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
I hit a big pothole once at 80mph on a '21 540i with 20" low profile wheels. Blew the tire, instantly zero tire pressure (later I learned there was a 3-4" gash in the sidewall where the tire had blown out).

I was still able to drive it about 40 miles home and to discount tire a few days later.

Anecdotally, I kept getting some errors about power supply malfunction after this. Turned out my alternator belt was damaged there was abnormal wear on the tensioner pully (was fixed under warranty). I suspect this was initially caused from the damage from hitting that pothole perfectly on a curve at 80mph.

All that being said, the X5 has more robust tires than the 5-series, even with the 21" option, so I think option A is fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #15
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I hit a big pothole once at 80mph on a '21 540i with 20" low profile wheels. Blew the tire, instantly zero tire pressure (later I learned there was a 3-4" gash in the sidewall where the tire had blown out).

I was still able to drive it about 40 miles home and to discount tire a few days later.

Anecdotally, I kept getting some errors about power supply malfunction after this. Turned out my alternator belt was damaged there was abnormal wear on the tensioner pully (was fixed under warranty). I suspect this was initially caused from the damage from hitting that pothole perfectly on a curve at 80mph.

All that being said, the X5 has more robust tires than the 5-series, even with the 21" option, so I think option A is fine.
That’s a nice story but spare is better in my opinion. Keep in mind these replacement 21inch tires for X5 (I assume we talking about P zeros). They don’t always have them in stock and I don’t know if u done any searches for the staggered 21 setup there are very few options. In the big city they might have them. But u may have very hard time getting replacement in rural areas. So having a spare and ability to keep driving further is very good idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:00 PM   #16
doublezero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i m sport, 330ci

I'm going to go the compact spare route myself though i really like using that area as extra storage on longer trips. I carry a compressor and plug/repair kit. I've replaced many with a standard plug and tire "cement" and never had a plug fail. though most recently I've had them properly "plug patched." I'd consider a self plugging a temporary repair but it will get you home if done properly.

FWIW, and i'm not saying you can't do it bc old man strength, as i learned from my tough as nails old man, is not to be underestimated! But, it can be really hard to push the awl/rasp thru a tire b/c of all the steel/nylon belts. You do this to enlarge the hole and roughen it so you can get the plug in with the plug tool. I've pushed so hard I've been concerned the cheap chinese tool would break and skewer my hand so i use a leather glove folded over the top when doing this. Have not had to do it with a RFT yet though, can't say how much of a pain it is. But it's always an effort laying on the side of the road, usually in the rain when it happens :/ Probably best to remove it if you do plug, and use body weight to assist. It's a good skill to have particularly if you venture long thru no-cell service areas.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:02 PM   #17
doublezero
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive40i m sport, 330ci

yes, a sharp and deep pothole will destroy tires (and rims!). ask me how i know, or don't.

just say no to that hitch mounted spare tire carrier. this ain't no toy-yoda!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 01:48 PM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles79 View Post
I have a 2022 40i with run flat tires that my wife and I take on 1000 mile road trips with a cat who travels in the cargo area behind a pet barrier that he shares with a kitty litter box, food and water bowls and other travel stuff. The back seat area is filled with luggage and supplies and other travel gear, which includes a 12v. air compressor. We have car insurance roadside assistance and BMW roadside assistance.

So I have been thinking about options when our luck runs out and we have a flat tire. The trips are on well travelled freeways and not back roads.

1. Do nothing. This is tempting, assuming we can make it to a place for repair or replacement 275-45-20 tires. But I don't enjoy thinking about going 50mph where everyone else is going 80mph. Reading these forums has me considering a tire repair kit but I have never used one.

2. Compact spare. But where do I put the flat tire? And I am still limited to 50mph. Also not sure what the travel distance limit is for these? And I am a 70 y/o retired guy who can't remember the last time I changed a tire...I guess we could wait 5 hours for roadside assistance...

3. Full size spare on a hitch mount for spare tires. TireRack has low cost non-runflat tire and wheel combos in correct size. Amazon has many hitch mounts about $100. But I have never seen one of these in use on any car and not sure about quality for that price. Tire might disappear overnight from the hotel parking lot...

Any thoughts appreciated.
Personally, I don't like the "do nothing" approach. You never know when "Murphy" will strike so I like to at least think I'm somewhat prepared for the unknown, at least it helps me concentrate on the trip instead of worrying what might happen.

I went the compact spare route. I bought the car with runflats and then ordered the compact spare from Modern Spare and put in under the hard cargo cover along with an air pump, tire plug tools and kit and a bunch of other stuff to aid in detecting a hole and plugging it. The spare gets me out of danger and to a place where I might be able to repair the tire. Yes, I still have roadside assistance so I have a triple plan...1. Runflats, 2. Tire repair kit/tools and 3. Roadside Assistance.

Ok, so if I change the tire out, where do I put the full size flat? That is indeed the issue since on my last multi-thousand mile trip, the car was packed. However, I would find a way by moving stuff around and loading up the cargo area and putting the full size flat in a plastic bag I bring with me and putting it in the back seats or folding down the back seats and laying it there. I'd rather be faced with that issue rather than having a repairable or non repairable flat keep me from my vacation. BTW, you and I are about the same age.

Somewhere on this forum I posted pix of my setup. You could search via my handle to try and find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 03:35 PM   #19
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Planning is great but planning too much is unnecessary. Just drive and enjoy your trip. What comes will come. I have AAA roadside assistance and BMW's. That's my planning for flat tires.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      03-13-2023, 03:46 PM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
Planning is great but planning too much is unnecessary. Just drive and enjoy your trip. What comes will come. I have AAA roadside assistance and BMW's. That's my planning for flat tires.
I hear ya but that dog don't hunt for me
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #21
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
i'm interpreting the "do nothing" option as relying on some pretty well-proven run-flat techology...and after being a long-term owner of bimmers and their associated run-flats, i am trusting that it will get me there.

you know what's a hell of a lot more scary than driving 50mph where everyone else is driving 80mph? changing a f#&@ing spare tire on the side of a road with everyone else doing 80mph!!! i've been a regular commuter on DC-area highways for the last 20+ years and i've never been more scared in my life than the 2 flats that i changed on the side of those roads.

since relying on run-flats, i've experienced 5 blow-outs on these crappy roads around our nation's capital, including 2 sidewall blow-outs from potholes than put 3-4" gashes in low profile tires on my 2-series. those run-flats got me to the dealership safely every time. i wouldnt hesitate to push those tires beyond 50 miles...maybe not 100, but definitely over 50.

my only hesitation for the OP is wondering if he will be more than 100 miles from a decent tire center to get an OEM-quality replacement...but if it's really bad, then road-side assistance would be the next choice.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line

Last edited by happyjack; 03-13-2023 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #22
Gilles79
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i cabrio, 2022 X5 40i

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated. No easy answer it looks like, pros and cons. The different perspectives are interesting!

I was starting to lean towards the compact spare option, thinking the runflats could get me off the highway to someplace safer to change the tire, such as a gas station. But my wife wouldn't be happy, as she fills the spare tire well with clothes, and the cat wouldn't be happy, as I decided his space in the cargo area would be taken by the flat tire, which means he would need to be in his cat carrier, which he hates and would howl for hours on end. We would need ear plugs.

I should probably also get a plug kit but it doesn't look like fun as in this video

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Xu-pKVrsy1Y
Appreciate 0