BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Exclamation 03/2019.48 - Installed Today

Just got a call from our dealer...they said we have the most up to date X5 on the road (probably). They loaded up 03/2019.48 on our car which was just recently made available. Fingers crossed a bunch of the bugs are fixed!! Picking up the car in a bit. I'll report back once I can spend some time with it over the weekend.

Car was in for several items today:
- 1st scheduled oil change/service
- Upgrade software to latest to address ongoing CarPlay issues (I asked for 03/2019.45, but looks like I got .48)
- Apply a recall to install some software fix related to the secondary battery system (I'll need to find out more about this)
- Apply a recall in regards to the cornering lights (although mine were already activated previously via an IRAP session, this new recall was the "official" fix, maybe they will work with turn signals and in reverse now??)
- Replace interior front passenger side door lock surround (it was loose)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Just got a call from our dealer...they said we have the most up to date X5 on the road (probably). They loaded up 03/2019.48 on our car which was just recently made available. Fingers crossed a bunch of the bugs are fixed!! Picking up the car in a bit. I'll report back once I can spend some time with it over the weekend.

- Upgrade software to latest to address ongoing CarPlay issues (I asked for 03/2019.45, but looks like I got .48)
- Apply a recall to install some software fix related to the secondary battery system (I'll need to find out more about this)
- Apply a recall in regards to the cornering lights (although mine were already activated previously via an IRAP session, this new recall was the "official" fix, maybe they will work with turn signals and in reverse now??)

Scott,
Its always nice to have your expectations exceeded - doesn't happen very often! How many batteries are in your car? I had an 840 that had two full size batteries but I thought BMW did away with that, I know my X3 only has one.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Have you verified if the Cornering Lights behave differently after the update?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Scott,
Its always nice to have your expectations exceeded - doesn't happen very often! How many batteries are in your car? I had an 840 that had two full size batteries but I thought BMW did away with that, I know my X3 only has one.
There are two, one in the engine compartment and one under the cargo area.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Hernasty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MineralWhite/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Have you verify if the Cornering Lights behave differently after the update?
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Has anyone verified how the cornering lights are operating in the X7? Given their height, they may be operating the way they are supposed to as coming on with a turn signal could mean shining into a car beside it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:

So what new stuff have you noticed?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:46 PM   #8
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, unfortunately I’ve noticed absolutely no changes to anything in the car. Upon picking up the car it took an iDrive reboot and 2 attempts to pair my wife’s iPhone before it finally worked. Cornering lights are the same as before, only come on with a hard turn of the wheel.

No BMW Care or Experience options in the menus.

No other changes that I’ve noticed. If CarPlay issues persist, I’m going to start the discussions of a possible buy back. This is ridiculous! My wife is not happy.

Update: Just got in the car to go to dinner, X5 won’t connect to either of our phones! Maybe they need to replace the Bluetooth and WiFi modules? If that’s possible.

Last edited by ScottMZ3; 05-18-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

Quote:
Well, unfortunately I’ve noticed absolutely no changes to anything in the car. Upon picking up the car it took an iDrive reboot and 2 attempts to pair my wife’s iPhone before it finally worked. Cornering lights are the same as before, only come on with a hard turn of the wheel.

No other changes that I’ve noticed. If CarPlay issues persist, I’m going to start the discussions of a possible buy back. This is ridiculous! My wife is not happy.

Update: Just got in the car to go to dinner, X5 won’t connect to either of our phones! Maybe they need to replace the Bluetooth and WiFi modules? If that’s possible.
Something seems wrong. I’ve had no issues connecting iPhones in my G05. But - I have never tried car play.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Quote:
Well, unfortunately I've noticed absolutely no changes to anything in the car. Upon picking up the car it took an iDrive reboot and 2 attempts to pair my wife's iPhone before it finally worked. Cornering lights are the same as before, only come on with a hard turn of the wheel.

No other changes that I've noticed. If CarPlay issues persist, I'm going to start the discussions of a possible buy back. This is ridiculous! My wife is not happy.

Update: Just got in the car to go to dinner, X5 won't connect to either of our phones! Maybe they need to replace the Bluetooth and WiFi modules? If that's possible.
I have not had a problem in a week since a genius told me x5 will not connect to iPhone if iPhone is connected to another WiFi , so every time I was getting in my x5 dam thing would not connect , now soon as I drive away from my house and my phone disconnected from my house WiFi it automatically connects to car play .
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Also if you have 2 phones paired make sure only one of them is connected cia apple play. Make the second one connect to bmw
No matter what priority is selected for devices
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
AshD
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
Quote:
Well, unfortunately I've noticed absolutely no changes to anything in the car. Upon picking up the car it took an iDrive reboot and 2 attempts to pair my wife's iPhone before it finally worked. Cornering lights are the same as before, only come on with a hard turn of the wheel.

No other changes that I've noticed. If CarPlay issues persist, I'm going to start the discussions of a possible buy back. This is ridiculous! My wife is not happy.

Update: Just got in the car to go to dinner, X5 won't connect to either of our phones! Maybe they need to replace the Bluetooth and WiFi modules? If that's possible.
I have not had a problem in a week since a genius told me x5 will not connect to iPhone if iPhone is connected to another WiFi , so every time I was getting in my x5 dam thing would not connect , now soon as I drive away from my house and my phone disconnected from my house WiFi it automatically connects to car play .
Yep. That is exactly what happens with mine. I think this will be the case irrespective of which software version you run
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
Dex05
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 - White/Beige

Quote:

How come? I'm on 2019.35 and have both BMW Care or Experience options in the menus.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
This is BS. My CarPlay connects instantly in my garage when I start my X5 and I'm still on my home WiFi. In fact, sometimes CarPlay drops when I drive away and *lose* my home WiFi and reconnects. Also, the most likely place for my CarPlay to *not* connect is in the garage at work and the gym... both places I have no signal from another WiFi at all (I've checked).

Let's just say CarPlay connection is random, unpredictable, and unreliable and the statement that it won't connect if it's on another WiFi network is just superstition.
2019 BMW x5 40i . premium tier . offroad package . integral active steering . parking assistance package . remote start . trailer hitch . heated seats/wheel/armrests . trailer hitch . 20" wheels . arctic gray
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
This is BS. My CarPlay connects instantly in my garage when I start my X5 and I'm still on my home WiFi. In fact, sometimes CarPlay drops when I drive away and *lose* my home WiFi and reconnects. Also, the most likely place for my CarPlay to *not* connect is in the garage at work and the gym... both places I have no signal from another WiFi at all (I've checked).

Let's just say CarPlay connection is random, unpredictable, and unreliable and the statement that it won't connect if it's on another WiFi network is just superstition.
Making sure only one iphone is paired at a time fixed our carplay issues. idrive 7.0 can't seem to handle more than one iphone paired so you have to delete all the other phones except the one you're using.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #16
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Making sure only one iphone is paired at a time fixed our carplay issues. idrive 7.0 can't seem to handle more than one iphone paired so you have to delete all the other phones except the one you're using.
Not quite. they can both be paired - but only one can be on Apple Car play.
Put the second phone on BMW drive connect mode in Mobile device menu.
Choose priority in the menu to have your phone be primary.

So when you are alone in the car your phone is on Apple car play - your wife's is on BMW connect.

when 2 of you are in the car - you are connected and she is just paired. (based on priority)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #17
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think the suggestion of only having 1 iPhone set to CarPlay may have helped a bit. I removed both our phones, re-paired my wife's with CarPlay enabled...then re-paired mine with just the BMW iDrive mode. So far it seems like my wife's phone is now connecting to CarPlay each morning when she leaves even though my phone is still within range.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm hoping this "workaround" continues to work!

Now if I could just get the BMW Care and Experience modes to show up.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #18
lights
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
I think the suggestion of only having 1 iPhone set to CarPlay may have helped a bit. I removed both our phones, re-paired my wife's with CarPlay enabled...then re-paired mine with just the BMW iDrive mode. So far it seems like my wife's phone is now connecting to CarPlay each morning when she leaves even though my phone is still within range.

A couple of responses to this.

1. I have problems with CarPlay even when mine is the only phone in the vicinity.

2. Can someone point me to the Care and Experience modes? What are they, where would I find them in iDrive, and why would I want them?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:43 PM   #19
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
Quote:

A couple of responses to this.

1. I have problems with CarPlay even when mine is the only phone in the vicinity.

2. Can someone point me to the Care and Experience modes? What are they, where would I find them in iDrive, and why would I want them?
I don't have any CarPlay issues. I have 03/2019.45 and Caring Car and Experience Modes are missing. They are aware of the issue and we should be receiving an OTA shortly that will add these features.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:17 AM   #20
cataitu
Private
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M50d

Do you know how is this process to update actually going? I'm having 03/2019.45 in the menu described as "preparation for the new version completed. You'll be notified when this is ready for installation". Is this an automated process while the car is in park mode or will I have to go to a dealer for the job? Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #21
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataitu View Post
Do you know how is this process to update actually going? I'm having 03/2019.45 in the menu described as "preparation for the new version completed. You'll be notified when this is ready for installation". Is this an automated process while the car is in park mode or will I have to go to a dealer for the job? Thanks
You may be one of the first to be updated by over the air updates as you are in Luxembourg.

The OTA updates have only just started in Germany.

Can you keep us updated as things happen please?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #22
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataitu View Post
Just out of curiosity do ou have the Experience Modes?
Appreciate 0