BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-11-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
ppejack@hotmail.com
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 (G05)

"Assisted Driving Plus" vs "Assisted Driving Mode"

I recently purchased a 2019 BMW X5 XDrive40i. It has the Driving Assistance Professional Package, which according to the description includes Active Driving Assistant Pro.

It works well and I like it. But there is one thing that I can't figure out. I looked in the X5 G05 Owner's Manual and there is no mention of 'Driving Assistance Professional Package' or 'Active Driving Assistant Pro'.

I push the button on the steering wheel that is a picture of a car with a steering wheel below it. That switches on the assisted driving. The owner's manual describes two available modes (selectable by pressing the MODE button on the steering wheel):

-Cruise control with distance control (icon of car by speedometer)
-Cruise control with distance control and steering and lane control assistant (icon of a car over a steering wheel with lane markers on each side)

When I select the mode "Cruise control with distance control and steering and lane control assistant", I'm able to have the car 'self drive', as it keeps the lane and maintains the distance between my car and the car in front. However I must continue to hold the steering wheel. If I let go of the steering wheel, within a minute or so I'm directed by the car to put my hands back on the steering wheel with a yellow warning of hands moving to the steering wheel. If I continue to ignore the warning, the hands become red, the hazard lights come one, and the lane keeping and self driving disable.

However, I noticed that sometimes I have a third option appear, called "Assisted Driving Plus". I have no idea why that option appears sometimes, and sometimes does not. When it does appear, I can select it with the mode button. After that I can drive for long periods of time without having to touch the steering wheel. I drove for more than 15 minutes on the freeway without ever having to touch the steering wheel. However eventually the "Assisted Driving Plus" went away, was replaced with "Assisted Driving Mode", and again I was forced to put my hands on the steering wheel.

I can find no documentation on "Assisted Driving Plus". Does anyone know anything about it? Why can I only select it occasionally? Why isn't it in the Owner's Manual?

See attached .jpg images of the "Assisted Driving Plus" and the "Assisted Driving Mode" icons on the dashboard.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #2
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppejack@hotmail.com View Post
I recently purchased a 2019 BMW X5 XDrive40i. It has the Driving Assistance Professional Package, which according to the description includes Active Driving Assistant Pro.

It works well and I like it. But there is one thing that I can't figure out. I looked in the X5 G05 Owner's Manual and there is no mention of 'Driving Assistance Professional Package' or 'Active Driving Assistant Pro'.

I push the button on the steering wheel that is a picture of a car with a steering wheel below it. That switches on the assisted driving. The owner's manual describes two available modes (selectable by pressing the MODE button on the steering wheel):

-Cruise control with distance control (icon of car by speedometer)
-Cruise control with distance control and steering and lane control assistant (icon of a car over a steering wheel with lane markers on each side)

When I select the mode "Cruise control with distance control and steering and lane control assistant", I'm able to have the car 'self drive', as it keeps the lane and maintains the distance between my car and the car in front. However I must continue to hold the steering wheel. If I let go of the steering wheel, within a minute or so I'm directed by the car to put my hands back on the steering wheel with a yellow warning of hands moving to the steering wheel. If I continue to ignore the warning, the hands become red, the hazard lights come one, and the lane keeping and self driving disable.

However, I noticed that sometimes I have a third option appear, called "Assisted Driving Plus". I have no idea why that option appears sometimes, and sometimes does not. When it does appear, I can select it with the mode button. After that I can drive for long periods of time without having to touch the steering wheel. I drove for more than 15 minutes on the freeway without ever having to touch the steering wheel. However eventually the "Assisted Driving Plus" went away, was replaced with "Assisted Driving Mode", and again I was forced to put my hands on the steering wheel.

I can find no documentation on "Assisted Driving Plus". Does anyone know anything about it? Why can I only select it occasionally? Why isn't it in the Owner's Manual?

See attached .jpg images of the "Assisted Driving Plus" and the "Assisted Driving Mode" icons on the dashboard.

Thanks in advance.
In short... search the manual for "assisted driving plus". The "plus" functions will activate when there are certain criteria met.

Read up on these sections in the manual. It's very cool!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      06-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
ppejack@hotmail.com
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 (G05)

That is the information I was looking for

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:30 AM   #4
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Is Assisted Driving Plus available in all countries?

I have never seen that option pop even though I am sure I met the functional requirements as per the screen shot few times.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

This post has some pics I took when the conditions were correct, they show the message that comes up as well as the option in the menu bar. Just hit Mode and you are then in hands free.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=18
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:19 AM   #6
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post

I have never seen that option pop even though I am sure I met the functional requirements as per the screen shot few times.
Nope. In Australia we can't use it due to regulations. I am sure BMW will software activate it once the law catches up with modern times. We have the hardware.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      06-12-2019, 01:47 AM   #7
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

They previously used "Traffic Jam Assist" to describe this function and I think it a much more easily understood term.

Now they use "Assisted Driving Plus" and who would have guessed what "Plus" means without reading the manual?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:03 AM   #8
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Not available in the UK either. Lane Change Assistant also not available in the UK for the G05 X5 even though older BMW models have the capability.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:50 AM   #9
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

I have the Driving Assistance Professional Package but I can only keep my hands off the wheel for maybe seven seconds or so. I thought this was extended to something longer like the OP suggested where they have a whole minute before having to grab the wheel. I’m in the US so maybe that has something to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
I have the Driving Assistance Professional Package but I can only keep my hands off the wheel for maybe seven seconds or so. I thought this was extended to something longer like the OP suggested where they have a whole minute before having to grab the wheel. I’m in the US so maybe that has something to do with it?
In the assisted driving plus mode you can take your hands off the wheel indefinitely.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #11
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
In the assisted driving plus mode you can take your hands off the wheel indefinitely.
Thanks. I was referring to the OP’s comment that outside of plus he can keep his hands off for a minute. I only get seven seconds and was wondering why.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I was referring to the OP’s comment that outside of plus he can keep his hands off for a minute. I only get seven seconds and was wondering why.
What you're describing is in the normal range. Some have reported longer intervals at slower speeds or less traveled roads but I have not experienced that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
What you're describing is in the normal range. Some have reported longer intervals at slower speeds or less traveled roads but I have not experienced that.
I think it depends on speed, what's happening on the road and how much attention you're paying.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

I have not seen Driving Assistant Plus show up as an option yet I have the package on my car. Potentially a real stupid question but there are many times I believe I have met all the Functional Requirements but still no option. The one possibility is Lane Departure is "unchecked" on my car since I did not like the jerking of the steering wheel but do I have to have it checked to comply with "The steering and lane control assistant is active."?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espejo View Post
I have not seen Driving Assistant Plus show up as an option yet I have the package on my car. Potentially a real stupid question but there are many times I believe I have met all the Functional Requirements but still no option. The one possibility is Lane Departure is "unchecked" on my car since I did not like the jerking of the steering wheel but do I have to have it checked to comply with "The steering and lane control assistant is active."?
I don't think that would come into play since it is based on you using the steering and lane control assistant. We have had a number of folks say that it wasn't coming on but it turned out that they just didn't have the correct circumstances. Once they did then it worked fine.
Mine always comes on when I'm in a traffic jam on an Interstate although of course I wish I wasn't in that situation.

Next time you are on an Interstate (it could work on other divided highways) and you hit a traffic jam. After a stop, hit resume (unless you had the cruise stop for you) and as you are increasing speed it should pop up the option as long as lane markings are clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #16
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I don't think that would come into play since it is based on you using the steering and lane control assistant. We have had a number of folks say that it wasn't coming on but it turned out that they just didn't have the correct circumstances. Once they did then it worked fine.
Mine always comes on when I'm in a traffic jam on an Interstate although of course I wish I wasn't in that situation.

Next time you are on an Interstate (it could work on other divided highways) and you hit a traffic jam. After a stop, hit resume (unless you had the cruise stop for you) and as you are increasing speed it should pop up the option as long as lane markings are clear.
Thanks TurtleBoy. I will definitely try in tomorrow on my way home from work.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
The owners manual is kinda wonky. You would think certain settings are grouped together, but not always. I can’t recall my exact issue, but a setting I was looking for turned out to be in the iDrive menu.

It’s not very intuitive, and the search function also isn’t great. It is like getting a new computer or phone - just have to figure it out as you go along.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #18
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Still trying to get Assisted Driving Plus to appear but no luck yet. I double checked my sticker and I have it noting Traffic Jam Assist. I must not be doing something right? Or it's not seeing road markings as clearly as it needs to? I will keep checking and hopefully it will appear at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Still trying to get Assisted Driving Plus to appear but no luck yet. I double checked my sticker and I have it noting Traffic Jam Assist. I must not be doing something right? Or it's not seeing road markings as clearly as it needs to? I will keep checking and hopefully it will appear at some point.
You need Extended Traffic Jam Assist in order to have the Assisted Plus Driving. You may have it and perhaps the Monroney sticker just doesn't list it out. When was your build date and do you have the Driving Assistance Professional package?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #20
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I confident I have it since it was requested on the build sheet. I pulled the Monroney sticker and it states:
Drivers Assistance Pro Pkg
Extended Traffic Jam Assistant
Active Driving Assistant Pro

It's just odd while at times I feel it should have come up but has not. Maybe the lines on the road are not correct. I also have "unchecked" lane change assistant which was trying to keep me centered in the lane and the wheel pull was a little alarming. But I don't think I need that checked? If all else fails I will try the dealer but that can be hit or miss since some of my options I had to show the kid how to use, like pairing my phone to unlock the car and use as a "key".
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #21
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
I confident I have it since it was requested on the build sheet. I pulled the Monroney sticker and it states:
Drivers Assistance Pro Pkg
Extended Traffic Jam Assistant
Active Driving Assistant Pro

It's just odd while at times I feel it should have come up but has not. Maybe the lines on the road are not correct. I also have "unchecked" lane change assistant which was trying to keep me centered in the lane and the wheel pull was a little alarming. But I don't think I need that checked? If all else fails I will try the dealer but that can be hit or miss since some of my options I had to show the kid how to use, like pairing my phone to unlock the car and use as a "key".
I hear you. I drive the same stretch of highway each morning, and some mornings ADP comes alive while other mornings it does not. The only difference I can discern is the amount of surrounding traffic.
      06-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #22
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally! It worked today on my way home from work. Most likely my issue before was either not enough traffic to warrant it or it was activating on its own when I was on Assisted Driving. The lights on the steering wheel turned green and it was off and running like a champ.
Appreciate 0