Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplatinum777 View Post
Why'd you tag me? I didn't say that.
ummm
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 11-03-2021 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #288
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
ummm
Sorry; I meant the front side (driver and passenger) windows. The windscreen will always be laminated thanks to modern safety standards.

BMW calls it "Acoustic Glass", but "lamination" is traditionally how the automotive industry does it, by sandwiching two panes of glass together with a piece of noise-reducing polyvinyl between them, to create a stronger sound barrier. Otherwise, it's a single tempered pane. So now the side glass is probably just single-pane and tempered.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:49 AM   #289
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Sorry; I meant the front side (driver and passenger) windows. The windscreen will always be laminated thanks to modern safety standards.
I guess things could have changed but as of a few years ago there wasn’t a law/regulations requiring laminated windshields. Thankfully manufacturers went to them anyway.

The acoustic glass option covered both the front and rear doors.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #290
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dananelson1 View Post
It's good to hear from folks on my VIN theory. I'm standing by my earlier comments that a VIN of K24xxx to K25xxx and beyond has no touchscreen.

My thesis is that those who are barely in production just don't have updated info; mine was all fine and dandy until the end of production (and I sat in production for over a week); this isn't a touchscreen lottery. And, those without Parking Assist generally have a harder time determining the touchscreen loss as it's not a line item. Finally, 3rd party Vin Decoders are awesome but they are NOT smarter or ahead of BMW direct; mine was not accurate until very late cycle.

I hope my thesis is incorrect, but can't see how until the factory has sensors/chips to get all new productions w/ touchscreen again.

Meanwhile, HOPE is a powerful motivator.
VIN: K27
Prod Date: 11-01
Today the VIN info shows up in mdecoder with:
S6UY ENTF. TOUCHFUNKTION CONTROL DISPLAY
Fortunately it still get the tow hitch which is more important for us as it will be a camping suv wo we will still take it but not happy.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #291
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulu View Post
VIN: K27
Prod Date: 11-01
Today the VIN info shows up in mdecoder with:
S6UY ENTF. TOUCHFUNKTION CONTROL DISPLAY
Fortunately it still get the tow hitch which is more important for us as it will be a camping suv wo we will still take it but not happy.
Yeah, I'm in in the same boat. I did get the 6UY Touchscreen Delete and ZUY Backup Assistant Delete, but do have the tow hitch. Mine is finished and has been released to the carrier. They are saying it should arrive at the dealer on 11/6.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #292
DeYanko
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in in the same boat. I did get the 6UY Touchscreen Delete and ZUY Backup Assistant Delete, but do have the tow hitch. Mine is finished and has been released to the carrier. They are saying it should arrive at the dealer on 11/6.
My vehicle is currently entering the assembly line. I assume you are going to take delivery of the vehicle? I am still on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #293
pwnagiux
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 Xdrive 40i

Quote:

BMW calls it "Acoustic Glass", but "lamination" is traditionally how the automotive industry does it, by sandwiching two panes of glass together with a piece of noise-reducing polyvinyl between them, to create a stronger sound barrier. Otherwise, it's a single tempered pane. So now the side glass is probably just single-pane and tempered.
So the front windshield is still acoustic glass?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #294
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnagiux View Post
So the front windshield is still acoustic glass?
It would seem so.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #295
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYanko View Post
My vehicle is currently entering the assembly line. I assume you are going to take delivery of the vehicle? I am still on the fence.
Yes, I am. In fact, I may figure out how to retrofit the touchscreen and do that. If I'm successful, I will definitely do a writeup for everyone here.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 5
      11-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #296
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weird.
I don't have the ZUY
But it shows up in myGarage:
"Deletion of Backup Assistant"
I have the parking assist pkg.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #297
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Yes, I am. In fact, I may figure out how to retrofit the touchscreen and do that. If I'm successful, I will definitely do a writeup for everyone here.
do you know if it's possible? like if you find a touchscreen, and install it, will it work properly?
I'm on the fence of accepting, if we can't retrofit, definitely not taking the delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #298
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulu View Post
Weird.
I don't have the ZUY
But it shows up in myGarage:
"Deletion of Backup Assistant"
I have the parking assist pkg.
ZUY is the Backup Assistant Delete. It won't say "ZUY" in the myBMW app, because they don't show option codes there, but you have it. That is also the tell-tale that you have the "6UY" Touchscreen Delete.

You can always call your salesperson and ask them to send you an updated build sheet, which will have all of the options and codes your order is equipped with, at that point. It should show both the 6UY and ZUY codes, which are the deletes.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #299
kplatinum777
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
do you know if it's possible? like if you find a touchscreen, and install it, will it work properly?
I'm on the fence of accepting, if we can't retrofit, definitely not taking the delivery.
I don't know any more than anyone else does. But I'm going to find out.

I have already ordered the screen; it should arrive within a few days of the car being delivered. Initially I wasn't going to take delivery if I couldn't retrofit--and there'd be no way to tell this early--but ultimately I'm okay with the car without the touchscreen. None of my other BMWs had touchscreens, and they were just fine. I even tested a new X5 at the dealer and queued-up CarPlay, and the controller was perfectly usable there, too.

I'll try to install the touchscreen it as soon as I get it, and let everyone know whether it's plug-and-play--or requires light coding--or not, and how it works. I'll start a separate thread if that happens, so check the G05 iDrive, Audio, Phone, Electronics, Software, Coding sub-forum regularly after November 6, and watch for a post from me.
'22 Outback Touring XT
'06 XJ Vanden Plas
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #300
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ZUY is the Backup Assistant Delete. It won't say "ZUY" in the myBMW app, because they don't show option codes there, but you have it. That is also the tell-tale that you have the "6UY" Touchscreen Delete.

You can always call your salesperson and ask them to send you an updated build sheet, which will have all of the options and codes your order is equipped with, at that point. It should show both the 6UY and ZUY codes, which are the deletes.
I mean I didn
t see ZUY in mdecoder. However that's my guess too. mdecoder may have incomplete info.
I hesistate to contact my SA coz I'm not ready for more bad news.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #301
Mckelvie37
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Not sure when it updated but they did finally update the website to state that some in late 2021 may not be equipped with touchscreen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:49 PM   #302
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Where are you buying your touchscreen . . . def will follow your future thread...and when you take delivery? You feedback will be very valuable.

Quote:

I have already ordered the screen; it should arrive within a few days of the car being delivered. Initially I wasn't going to take delivery if I couldn't retrofit--and there'd be no way to tell this early--but ultimately I'm okay with the car without the touchscreen. None of my other BMWs had touchscreens, and they were just fine. I even tested a new X5 at the dealer and queued-up CarPlay, and the controller was perfectly usable there, too.

I'll try to install the touchscreen it as soon as I get it, and let everyone know whether it's plug-and-play--or requires light coding--or not, and how it works. I'll start a separate thread if that happens, so check the G05 iDrive, Audio, Phone, Electronics, Software, Coding sub-forum regularly after November 6, and watch for a post from me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #303
tnutt19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 GC, 2022 X5 M50I

Garage List
Quote:

How much did you pay for the touch screen? Did you buy new or used?
I have retrofitted Idrive in the past and when I added NBT EVO to my 2015 M5 the displays were interchangeable for touchscreen and non touchscreen. I am very curious to hear how it works for you.
I am pushing my rep saying they should order the display and change out for me and he came back saying their shop foreman technical advisor whom is an electrical engineer said it would be impossible to do. I responded that I disagree with my experience and he walked back his words and said they needed more time??? My opinion is that it is as simple as changing out the screen but they do not want to do it or do not want buyers to go order all their touch displays which would cause issues with supporting current vehicles causing part shortages.
I let him know I am very sour toward BMW and how they are handling all of this. I am on the verge of taking my X5 and M5 orders to Porsche. My wife is really disappointed and wishing we didnt sell her 2017 X5 now. If I take delivery of the X5 and it is not corrected I will likely cancel my M5 and never buy another BMW. My sourness all stems from having a confirmed production date of a month ago which is why we sold our X5 and then started the games...
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #304
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

You almost certainly will have to do some coding in order for it to work. The software likely looks for the 6UY and removes the touchscreen functionality. You will probably need to remove that 6UY.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #305
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:

My Sales guy says it appears that my car was affected by the touchscreen and back up delete but the Mcoder does not show any delete and neither does my garage show any delete. My car is a K15... built 10/20. I sure hope my sales guy is wrong. He is off today.

Edit….. My sales guy sent me the final build sheet and my touchscreen and back up assistant are not removed. Phew!
I really wanted my wife to have those options and I’m glad she does. I am scheduled to pick up the car next Thursday in SC and we have paid in full but I was going to refuse it if those parts were removed.

Last edited by Jagu; 11-03-2021 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #306
John925
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xdrive40i

Just found out my Black Vermilion X5 on the truck heading here has had the touch screen removed. Ugh!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #307
liroyan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John925 View Post
Just found out my Black Vermilion X5 on the truck heading here has had the touch screen removed. Ugh!!
isn't that limited edition with only 350 units? they couldn't even guarantee that?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #308
John925
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by liroyan View Post
isn't that limited edition with only 350 units? they couldn't even guarantee that?
Yes it’s the limited one. Kinda bummed
Appreciate 0