BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Question: Seat options and headroom

An unusual question, but I am 6'7''.

On the X5 (or sports cars for that matter), will (1) ventilated seats and/or (2) multi-contour seats reduce headroom in any way?

The thought process being that there may be additional mechanical parts that sit below the seat and reduce the ability to lower the seat.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post

On the X5 (or sports cars for that matter), will (1) ventilated seats and/or (2) multi-contour seats reduce headroom in any way?

The thought process being that there may be additional mechanical parts that sit below the seat and reduce the ability to lower the seat.
No they don't. No difference in height for ventilated-massage seats vs non v-m comfort seats.

I am 6'4'' more than enough headroom with comfort ventilated massage seats. They are in the lowest position because a prefer a lower sitting position I can set them higher without touching the roof with my head.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:

Multi-contour and multi-contour seats with ventilated/massaging seating are one in the same. Their vehicle mounting point, rails, mechanical lift and H-point (Hip-point) is identical to the standard Sport seats and M Multi-function seats (currently only available for international markets).

The only difference would be the actual size or construction of the seating itself: multi-contour seats are bulkier than standard Sport seats due to the additional upper backrest electronic adjustment and headrest design. The M Multi-function seats are even bulkier and slightly reduce rear leg room due to its design.

Otherwise all 3 seating designs sit neither higher or lower than the others.

I've enclosed examples showing the structure/backs of Multi-contour (with ventilation and massage) and M Multi-function seating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
Ian335xd
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

Quote:

I sat in 2 X5's both with comfort seats 1 had seat ventilation/massage function and the other without and the seat base is higher in the ventilated seats and it feels like you are sitting more on top of the seat then in it but the actual frame of the seat is the same height in both, you really need to sit in them to find out for sure that you are happy with them. Just so you know they us the same seats in the X7 and are more likely to be ventilated.(also note that the headroom in the X7 is about 1 inch more)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Also, the padding in the ventilated seats is firmer to facilitate the mechanical features inside the seat. This firmer padding translates to the seats feeling harder than the non ventilated seats. But again, the firmer padding is there to prevent your butt from feeling the fans, air cushions, massaging cushions, and massaging bubbles.

Example of mechanics below the padding of the ventilated/massaging seats:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-27-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

What would be ideal would be to add adjustable pedals...then, it would be easier to get a perfect seating position. I find that I'd prefer the steering wheel adjustment was a little longer than it is. You can compensate by raising the seat a little so you can be closer to the wheel and keep the pedal distance acceptable, but that cuts into headroom.
Appreciate 0