ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Many thanks for that.

As it involves steering, it would probably be in the BDC ECU. What do you think?

I'll do a search for [42C1] SAS in the BDC ECU in the next few days...

In terms of Comfort Plus, I certainly noticed a difference between Comfort and Adaptive, I'll see if Comfort Plus makes a difference.

Some other threads call Comfort Plus "slushy mode" and makes the car float - that might happen with Air suspension, but I've got the Adaptive M Suspension, so it will be interesting to see if it softens any further.
I think you misunderstood me. It's probably hard to visualise from Bimmercode if it doesn't support SAS, but in esys its clear.

SAS [42C1] IS an ECU. Same as BDC, HU_MGU, etc.

The actual code in SAS ECU to enable Lane Change is
C_SWA_VORHANDEN 'Enabled'

SWA = Spurwechsel Assistant, or Steering Assistant

Adaptive is supposed to adjust to your driving style. So it could vary from Comfort to Sport mode, from a dampening and throttle response perspective. I believe it uses nav etc to predict how to adjust the throttle/dampening. I coded mine to start in Adaptive mode.

I saw those threads about slush mode but they were on other models, not the G05. I really couldn't tell a difference but give it a go over the same roads types and see what you think. I might have another go if you report a noticeable difference

For reference, if Lane Change isn't working, and bimmercode doesnt support SAS ECU, you can VO Code Lane Change easily with esys. No need to pay for a launcher like esysx for that particular feature, but you would need esys.

Last edited by ifr; 04-08-2020 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #1102
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
I have never got the traffic jam assist work. have you gotten it to work over the regular cruise control.
I assume you mean extended TJA. Yes, I have used it many times and it works quite well. Once the conditions are met in regards to a qualifying highway (limited access, divided - generally Interstates) and speed (below 40mph) you will be presented with a third driving mode called Assisted Driving Plus (that is what extended Traffic Jam Assist is called in iDrive) and just need to hit the Mode button to activate it.

Here are a few pics I took of this happening in mine which is a 2019 so the 2020 presentation may be a little different.
yeah, mine is 2019 too. while I've seen the options a couple times, I doesn't seem to do anything for me. it seems like the same as the regular middle mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #1103
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
yeah, mine is 2019 too. while I've seen the options a couple times, I doesn't seem to do anything for me. it seems like the same as the regular middle mode.
Once you hit the Mode button then you will be total hands-free under 40 mph.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #1104
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Quote:
Once you hit the Mode button then you will be total hands-free under 40 mph.
Ahh hands free, vs the occasional hand on the wheel. Got it, thanks so much for explaining it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #1105
andytaro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Graphite 2008 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
How do you restore the original display. When I go to code the BMW display I get M40d which is incorrect at the top.
How did you revert to the original 40i? I am stuck with 40d.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:46 AM   #1106
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Many thanks for that.

As it involves steering, it would probably be in the BDC ECU. What do you think?

I'll do a search for [42C1] SAS in the BDC ECU in the next few days...

In terms of Comfort Plus, I certainly noticed a difference between Comfort and Adaptive, I'll see if Comfort Plus makes a difference.

Some other threads call Comfort Plus "slushy mode" and makes the car float - that might happen with Air suspension, but I've got the Adaptive M Suspension, so it will be interesting to see if it softens any further.
I think you misunderstood me. It's probably hard to visualise from Bimmercode if it doesn't support SAS, but in esys its clear.

SAS [42C1] IS an ECU. Same as BDC, HU_MGU, etc.

The actual code in SAS ECU to enable Lane Change is
C_SWA_VORHANDEN 'Enabled'

SWA = Spurwechsel Assistant, or Steering Assistant

Adaptive is supposed to adjust to your driving style. So it could vary from Comfort to Sport mode, from a dampening and throttle response perspective. I believe it uses nav etc to predict how to adjust the throttle/dampening. I coded mine to start in Adaptive mode.

I saw those threads about slush mode but they were on other models, not the G05. I really couldn't tell a difference but give it a go over the same roads types and see what you think. I might have another go if you report a noticeable difference

For reference, if Lane Change isn't working, and bimmercode doesnt support SAS ECU, you can VO Code Lane Change easily with esys. No need to pay for a launcher like esysx for that particular feature, but you would need esys.
Unfortunately I can confirm without the Vorhanden option being selected lane change does not work. It is not possible to enable Vorhanden through Bimmercode at this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:50 AM   #1107
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andytaro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
How do you restore the original display. When I go to code the BMW display I get M40d which is incorrect at the top.
How did you revert to the original 40i? I am stuck with 40d.
We went back / coded to the original BMW display.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:29 AM   #1108
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Unfortunately I can confirm without the Vorhanden option being selected lane change does not work. It is not possible to enable Vorhanden through Bimmercode at this time.
That's a pity but not unexpected.

Easiest solution is esys and VO Coding. For most settings I'd say don't bother, but in my opinion if you use Assisted Driving on highways a lot, then this is one of the best features on the car. Integrates so well and makes the drive more relaxed and safer.
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      04-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #1109
egalley
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2020 M340i, 2019 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Yes, apparently dubsesd has done it and I asked him how but he never responded. It's funny that he only responds to certain questions and ignores some but oh well. Let me know if you figure out how to have the fog lights coded
I did it for him using the Bimmercode app. It worked no problem.
      04-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #1110
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Ah damn, that's a pity.

Oh well, its just time until Bimmercode makes all this standard anyway.

Did you notice any difference with Sports Plus?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:21 PM   #1111
TSMC55
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 GO5

Quote:
Quote:
Ah damn, that's a pity.

Oh well, its just time until Bimmercode makes all this standard anyway.

Did you notice any difference with Sports Plus?
I forgot to try it out sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #1112
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Yes, apparently dubsesd has done it and I asked him how but he never responded. It's funny that he only responds to certain questions and ignores some but oh well. Let me know if you figure out how to have the fog lights coded
I did it for him using the Bimmercode app. It worked no problem.
Can you share how you did it using the app?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #1113
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Can someone tell me where all backups are stored? For example, today I coded Alpina cluster, I see there is a backup made today before coding but only one, where are all the previous backups stored? Or are they gone?
Also I was wondering is a backup can be stored outside my iPhone?
      04-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #1114
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
Can someone tell me where all backups are stored? For example, today I coded Alpina cluster, I see there is a backup made today before coding but only one, where are all the previous backups stored? Or are they gone?
I thought the original backups were gone, too, when I updated from 3.4 to 3.5, but the backups are still there even the very first one I had in December.

You can use iTunes to save the backup elsewhere like in your PC.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25943796
      04-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #1115
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
I thought the original backups were gone, too, when I updated from 3.4 to 3.5, but the backups are still there even the very first one I had in December.

You can use iTunes to save the backup elsewhere like in your PC.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25943796
Thanks mate
      04-11-2020, 01:56 AM   #1116
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I tried it too, and yep definitely doesn't work. I've backed out the coding for Lane Change Assist, I don't like the idea of having features enabled with incomplete coding. LCA is not an essential feature for me anyway, I'm more than happy with the Driver Assist/Adaptive Cruise Control.

You should notice a difference with Sports+, it definitely gives it some extra kick.

I've only been for short drives, but couldn't notice too much difference with Comfort Plus, I prefer Adaptive anyway.
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      04-11-2020, 07:53 AM   #1117
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
OK, so I just figured out how to "ungrey" the box for lane change assist.

Go into Body Domain Controller (BDC) ECU:-
3420 PfSarahMaster module:
- spurwechel_assistent change to aktiv

You now have access to "Lane Change Assist"

..man, I'm approaching more hacks in this thing than Matt Damon did in "The Martian" ..
Quick question.... Was this necessary because your car did NOT come from the factory with lane change assist? Or did it come from the factory with lane change assist and you needed this coding step because you coded Sport Plus mode? I would think that turning on Sport Plus mode would be completely independent from any Lane Change Assist coding.

Still waiting for BimmerCode on iOS to update though due to no Expert Mode in HU_MGU yet....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #1118
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quick question.... Was this necessary because your car did NOT come from the factory with lane change assist? Or did it come from the factory with lane change assist and you needed this coding step because you coded Sport Plus mode? I would think that turning on Sport Plus mode would be completely independent from any Lane Change Assist coding.

Still waiting for BimmerCode on iOS to update though due to no Expert Mode in HU_MGU yet....
Absolutely, these are all independent features, they're definitely not related.

My car is a Jan 2019 build, and didn't come from the factory with Assisted Driver View (ADV), Lane Change Assist (LCA) or Sports+ driving mode.

Using Bimmercode I've managed to code ADV and Sports+ successfully, but looks like LCA can only be partially be coded, and until Bimmercode supports coding SAS in cant be done.

ADV added a nice touch to the Active Cruise Control (ACC) feature - which did come with my car from factory. I dont know WHY (??) BWM doesn't switch ADV on in Australia with cars that have ACC.

Sports+ is also a nice touch, it definitely makes the car go harder from stand-still, holds gears and revs up the range, but I find DSC interferes - so I just switch that off manually after engaging Sports+. Again, BMW doesn't offer this driving mode with the 30d/Diesel (again..who knows why???).

Now that Bimmercode supports "Expert" mode coding in both Body-Domain Controller (BDC) ECU and Head Unit Controller (HU_MGU), looks like many features can be coded, but a few important learning's from my end:

1. I have found for most of the features, one must co-ordinate/align changes in both these ECUs for features to be enabled/disabled via the various user inputs (eg. selecting Sports+ mode can be done via the switches on the gear-change panel (enabled via coding in the BDC ECU), or via iDrive (enabled via coding in the HU_MGU ECU).

2. You need to make sure your car has the right equipment and packages before enabling certain. (eg. ADV required Driver Assist Safety package which has radar, cameras and sensors)

3. Some features require configuration of specific parameters which cannot be coded via Bimmercode. I found this out with Lane Change Assist (LCA) which requires Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) to be coded - and this cant be accessed via Bimmercode - at least not yet...

I think we need to be careful with #2 and #3 above, because coding a feature without the right equipment, OR partially coding could cause issues or even safety compromises. I guess thus the warnings when enabling "Expert mode".

In the future I'm more inclined to just wait for Bimmercode to support a feature from the primary screens.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 04-11-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmciver1832.00
      04-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #1119
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I hear you on all points. I was first introduced to the world of coding, and all of its "intricacies" when I got my F80 M3 almost 3.5 years ago now. I started with E-sys back then, and made the transition to BimmerCode once it came out. My experience and learning with E-sys made using Expert Mode in BimmerCode a lot easier - so I use BimmerCode 99% of the time now for coding, including using Expert Mode. I haven't even updated my E-sys setup to work with the X7 and probably won't.

Before I got my X7, I had a G05 X5 40i loaner for a few days that had Sport Plus from the factory (apparently a rare option/configuration on the X5). Setting the Sport Individual drive functions (Sport Plus for Engine and Sport for Transmission combination specifically) really "woke up" the X5 and made it a real pleasure to drive. I was disappointed to learn that the X7 with M-Sport package did not have the same option even though the X5 40i and X7 40i share the same engine and transmission combo.

As long as you know what parameters need to be changed in different ECUs for certain functions (from a trusted and competent source of course), I would feel confident making the changes in BimmerCode and not necessarily waiting. I learned that the BMW coding community is quite large and generous (as seen in this thread) and will only get better with time, specifically for iDrive 7/G-Series vehicles.

Now if I can only figure out how to get the Drive Mode displayed when using the M-Display in the cluster, I know it must be out there.....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)

Last edited by jmciver; 04-11-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2020, 10:36 AM   #1120
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Now if I can only figure out how to get the Drive Mode displayed when using the M-Display in the cluster, I know it must be out there.....
That's the exact reason I dont use the M-Display cluster, oh and also the Speedo going up to about 340km/h made the legal driving speeds (< 110km/h) below 1/3 of the overall speedo scale range - so basically not very practical.

I was using the Alpina display for a while and lived with the Speedo scale issues similar to M-Display, but it wore off on me so went back to the standard BMW display. Scale/range of the Speedo & Tacho are good, as well as differentiation of driving modes.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #1121
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the exact reason I dont use the M-Display cluster, oh and also the Speedo going up to about 340km/h made the legal driving speeds (< 110km/h) below 1/3 of the overall speedo scale range - so basically not very practical.
Haha.... Well, the 200mph speedo on my M3 doesn't really bother me (even though I don't hit triple digit speeds on a regular basis), so I don't think it will bother me on the X7 either .

Regarding displaying the drive modes in the M-Dash, I am still keeping hope alive . Seeing the picture below from the M5 Competition tells me they are there, albeit in a different spot on the cluster. The M5, just like on the G05 and G07, has individual settings for Engine, Suspension and Steering so it should be possible. Just need to figure out how to turn them on (or map them correctly). It would be great if there were an M5 Competition owner who would be willing to share their CAFD files so that a more efficient search for the correct parameters could be done.

But you gotta admit, that M-dash layout looks so much better than the standard one....

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #1122
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Haha.... Well, the 200mph speedo on my M3 doesn't really bother me (even though I don't hit triple digit speeds on a regular basis), so I don't think it will bother me on the X7 either .

Regarding displaying the drive modes in the M-Dash, I am still keeping hope alive . Seeing the picture below from the M5 Competition tells me they are there, albeit in a different spot on the cluster. The M5, just like on the G05 and G07, has individual settings for Engine, Suspension and Steering so it should be possible. Just need to figure out how to turn them on (or map them correctly). It would be great if there were an M5 Competition owner who would be willing to share their CAFD files so that a more efficient search for the correct parameters could be done.

But you gotta admit, that M-dash layout looks so much better than the standard one....

I don't see drive modes. Just the individual settings for steering, suspension and throttle.
Appreciate 0