08-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #89
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I've seen something of this nature at my current dealership, Jaguar Land Rover. Had a 2020 Evoque that blew its trans in the first 3k miles. Took the customer 1 conversation with our GM to buy back the car and get him into a new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #90
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
I've seen something of this nature at my current dealership, Jaguar Land Rover. Had a 2020 Evoque that blew its trans in the first 3k miles. Took the customer 1 conversation with our GM to buy back the car and get him into a new one.
Jaguar/Land Rover != Chevrolet, unfortunately.

Heck they wouldn't even bother replacing the engine when it spun a bearing at 5,000 miles. REALLY? On a $88K sticker car? Way to go GM.

At this point even if GM were to offer me a similarly equipped C8 for a straight swap, I'd tell them to go pound sand and cut me a gawd damn check instead.

Plus this is what they gave me for a loaner. I would suggest, after 4 months at the dealership, to have to bring the car back for POSSIBLY 4 more months, with no end in sight and GM dragging their feet on the buy back, that the LEAST they can do is put me in a car with equivalent cost, performance, or level of equipment.

Nope. Their cheapest car in the line-up is what I got. Can't say I expected more though.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #91
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

After owning a number of cars from a number of manufacturers, I can confidently say that GM and BMW are the two worst companies I have ever seen as far as supporting their products and customers. Porsche is far and away the best and it's not even close. This thread is comical, I feel for you OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #92
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

Heck they wouldn't even bother replacing the engine when it spun a bearing at 5,000 miles. REALLY? On a $88K sticker car? Way to go GM.

At this point even if GM were to offer me a similarly equipped C8 for a straight swap, I'd tell them to go pound sand and cut me a gawd damn check instead.

Plus this is what they gave me for a loaner. I would suggest, after 4 months at the dealership, to have to bring the car back for POSSIBLY 4 more months, with no end in sight and GM dragging their feet on the buy back, that the LEAST they can do is put me in a car with equivalent cost, performance, or level of equipment.

Nope. Their cheapest car in the line-up is what I got. Can't say I expected more though.
You know how I know you're a programmer...lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #93
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Sorry for all the troubles Hack, can't imagine how frustrating this all is.

No doubt you know this already, but with that motor sounding the way it does I sure wouldn't drive too far away from civilization or very far away from your house at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #94
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
You know how I know you're a programmer...lol
LOL. Nah I'm just a 1337 Haxor.

I'm actually in Marketing. But you work with enough developers, and when the majority of your friends and people you hang out with work in IT and/or are programmers, you tend to pick up their lingo. Especially for a marketing guy, being able to speak the language of my clients and customers, as well as my vendors and developers is a MUST.

Only "programming" I did was in high school using LOGO. And that's more than 30 years ago. But yes, I am well aware that the only people that use != are typically programmers.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #95
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

I'm amazed GM customer services is this horrible!! It's bad enough that this car had an engine failure with only a few thousand miles. Then to top it off, they don't even put a new engine in. They tear apart the engine in your new car, rebuilt it and expect you to accept that without some kind of additional compensation. Then it only gets better..... You get the car back after months with a POS loaner car only to find out that the rebuilt engine is failing also? That sound in your video is absolutely not normal. Assuming that car doesn't have a severe exhaust leak or something, that engine has a major issue.

I have only ever had 2 GM cars. A 1980s camaro that was pretty reliable for the 120k miles that I owned it. The other was a 2008 GMC Acadia. Biggest POS I have ever owned. No car has ever come close to it for reliability issues.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #96
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I was a mechanic and service rep at Lexus for several years.

We had several IS and GS models come in that qualified for a rebuilt engine under a technical service bulletin. I don't know if GM has anything like a TSB but relative to Lexus, if a car has a TSB it essentially is a widespread known issue/defect that will be replaced/repaired under warranty even if the vehicle is out of warranty. It is widespread but not widespread enough to be considered a recall of any kind.

I can't recall off hand what the known issue was but essentially, the engines got rebuilt under warranty. I personally never worked on those cars.

The engines qualified to be replaced with crate engines but the reason my particular dealership along with others, and I'm assuming yours, rebuilt the engine is because the mechanics and service reps get paid significantly less per job when it's a warranty repair versus a customer paid repair however by rebuilding the engine, Lexus would let the dealership bill them for 30 labor hours versus replacing the engine would have been 15-20 hours. My guess is that is ultimately why they chose to rebuild your engine first and nobody has the balls to admit that to you. From your seat, it looks like rebuilding would save the dealership money but they are actually able to bill GM MORE than going the replacement route.

Of course, this is all speculation but this is certainly how it worked at Lexus when I worked there.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #97
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:

You got a loaner? They must really like you!

That's one thing I also don't like about the corvette (and expensive trucks for that matter). You are paying luxury car prices (sometimes significantly more than your average 4 door german car) but get shitty ass Chevy/Ford service and also shorter warranty.

I had amazing service at the local cadillac dealer, but even though my C7 cost more than the cadillac we had, I had to take it to the shitty chevy dealer. Same thing with my truck, although I have had overall good experiences at ford dealers, they are still not as nice as cadillac.

That being said, only been to Tesla service center once, what a fucking shit show. Probably top 3 crappiest dealer experiences.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #98
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
That being said, only been to Tesla service center once, what a fucking shit show. Probably top 3 crappiest dealer experiences.
Noooooooo! Don't say that!

My plan is to replace the Corvette with a Model 3 Performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #99
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Noooooooo! Don't say that!

My plan is to replace the Corvette with a Model 3 Performance.
Ohhh.... my bad. Tesla service is awesomesauce!!

Definitely no loaners, at least not for me. My friend in CA says they give him Uber credits... I didn't even get that. Ended up wasting 2 hours sitting there and basically they only fixed one thing, but fucked up something else in the process. They said they would schedule a mobile tech to come and fix one of the other issues at my house, they never scheduled anything.

Luckily I really like the car and none of the issues were a big deal, but still I found it to be chevy level service, not luxury level service, but your "service center" as they call them may be different.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #100
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Let’s be honest. Tesla service IS Chevy level service. Definitely not on par with Lexus or Porsche service.

So many of my friends mention that they fix one thing and break two more lol.

Sure, you can OTA some things but good luck trying to do OTA mechanical repairs.

With that said, Tesla is still on my “next car” list hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 06:31 PM   #101
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Let’s be honest. Tesla service IS Chevy level service. Definitely not on par with Lexus or Porsche service.
I suppose there’s no chance the motor on the Tesla will spun a bearing on the crank.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #102
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
I suppose there’s no chance the motor on the Tesla will spun a bearing on the crank.
Unlikely, but this is 2020...so probably.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #103
The HACK
Rep

I suppose we can close the books on this chapter of my car ownership history.

Signed settlement agreement. Payout in 4-6 weeks, then this lemon is GM’s problem.

I still stand by the fact that it would have saved them a ton more $$$ had they just replaced the engine in the first place.
Appreciate 3
wdb4673.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
ky0u1065.50
      09-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #104
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      09-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #105
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

I'm glad finally you have your issue resolved. I've had numerous Corvettes, C3, C4, C5Z06, and C6Z06, and now a C7Z06. I currently race my C4 and the C7 is a daily. I have also owned a number of BMWs and still own an X3. All manufactures of cars will occasionally produce a lemon; it's part of the process. I had BMW buyback my 2018 X3M40i earlier this year due to a vibration issue. I still enjoy cars made by both manufacturers.

Last edited by 383vett; 09-21-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
swanson733.00
      09-21-2020, 11:22 AM   #106
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I still enjoy cars made by both manufacturers.
I agree, we shouldn't be piling on the car so much as how the manufacturer handled this situation. They just plain blew it.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #107
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I don't think anyone really has been ripping on the car in this thread - it's entirely about how badly the situation was handled. Unfortunately, you can't buy a car from a manufacturer if you know the service is going to be terrible, even if the car is great...just too much risk if/when something goes wrong.

OP, glad this is soon to be a thing of the past for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #108
The HACK
Rep

I want this chapter closed. I really do.

First, if they had fixed the car right in the first place, and fixed it well with a new engine, they’d be out maybe $10-12K as the LT1 engine’s not all that expensive. Instead, they’re paying my law firm that much just to cut me a $70K check. Good job Chevy.

But I thought the saga is over when I signed the buy back agreement. Nope.

A few weeks ago I got a call from the Chevy dealership asking me to return the loaner. I’m like, “GREAT! Does GM have my check ready?” “Um, no...but you have had the loaner for weeks and GM has indicated that since your Corvette is flagged for buy back, we’re no longer going to try and fix it. So we need you to return the loaner.”

“So you’re telling me that you’ll keep my $88k car, a car I haven’t been compensated for, and I need to return the loaner you lent me because you don’t want to fix the car anymore?”

“Well, no, sir, you can take your Corvette back.”

“Has it been fixed?”

“...”

“Car’s subject to a buy back agreement sir. We’re under no obligation to fix it now. But it runs. You can drive it.”

“Okay. Say I take the car back, and the engine seized at 70mph. Are you guys going to assume the liability?”

“Sir the car runs.”

“Your engineer hear that nasty knocking sound right? Unless they can tell me exactly what is the cause of that, and give me a statement in writing that the diagnostic is the car is perfectly safe to operate, I’m not touching that car with a thousand foot pole.”

“Let me check with the tech and I’ll get back to you on that.”

Haven’t heard back since. And it’s been 3 weeks. 5 weeks since I signed the buy back agreement. Meanwhile, I don’t even know why they bother making this Trax, as it is by far the shittiest car I’ve ever driven. The ONLY redeeming value is I took the family to Vegas and it returned a respectable 30 mpg. When that is the ONLY positive thing one can say about any vehicle, well...you might as well just give me a fucking Prius.

I mean, the Grand Sport was an awesome car when it ran. And frankly some Chevy cars are worth consideration. But when one factor in the fact that you had to work with your local Chevy dealership, well...that pretty much closes the book on any Chevy for me.

Still waiting for Chevy to order me to “surrender” my car. Believe you me, even though the loaner doesn’t cost me a dime to drive except the cost of fuel, really, I’d rather have this eyesore off my driveway to be honest.
Appreciate 2
F1346.50
Vivek.1363.50
      10-25-2020, 12:50 AM   #109
HereForever
Rep
Drives: Bmw X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Watts View Post
I was a mechanic and service rep at Lexus for several years.

We had several IS and GS models come in that qualified for a rebuilt engine under a technical service bulletin. I don't know if GM has anything like a TSB but relative to Lexus, or even other rented luxury car from here, so if a car has a TSB it essentially is a widespread known issue/defect that will be replaced/repaired under warranty even if the vehicle is out of warranty. It is widespread but not widespread enough to be considered a recall of any kind.

I can't recall off hand what the known issue was but essentially, the engines got rebuilt under warranty. I personally never worked on those cars.

The engines qualified to be replaced with crate engines but the reason my particular dealership along with others, and I'm assuming yours, rebuilt the engine is because the mechanics and service reps get paid significantly less per job when it's a warranty repair versus a customer paid repair however by rebuilding the engine, Lexus would let the dealership bill them for 30 labor hours versus replacing the engine would have been 15-20 hours. My guess is that is ultimately why they chose to rebuild your engine first and nobody has the balls to admit that to you. From your seat, it looks like rebuilding would save the dealership money but they are actually able to bill GM MORE than going the replacement route.

Of course, this is all speculation but this is certainly how it worked at Lexus when I worked there.
Looks funny to me how the problem is widespread though it is not aknowledged as a problem at all. Says much if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:46 AM   #110
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
“Sir the car runs.”
This is insane. Absolutely stunning. The cheek of it, after all the hassle and them actually conceding to the buy back... Just crazy that they'd then hassle you to return the worthless loaner ASAP. I guess they've figured they've lost you as a customer, and they're just trying to cut their losses, again.
Appreciate 1
F1346.50