11-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #89
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
I also had a coworker that owned a model 3. He used the auto drive feature to fetch his car from its parking spot once and it drove straight into a small ditch. I am not making this up. The group decided that the camera system detected snow as a barrier and drove in the opposite direction. Not good.
That's hilarious and scary at the same time. Such arrogance of humans to think we should be 'beta testing' irl. Ofc I assume this tech will be realized eventually but to allow ppl to do this *right now* is just insane.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #90
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I also had a coworker that owned a model 3. He used the auto drive feature to fetch his car from its parking spot once and it drove straight into a small ditch. I am not making this up. The group decided that the camera system detected snow as a barrier and drove in the opposite direction. Not good.
Yup, same thing with me. My workmate showed off the fetch mode. Our parking lot in front of the building is divided from the front of building by an access road. We could see the Model 3 and it us (I guess), but it got seriously confused trying to fetch us. My workmate had to hit the red emergency cut-off button an abort the mission. LOL. Being technical people, we just fluffed it off as a beta test and not ideal conditions for a successful test result...

We could have walked to the car in about 20 seconds. Not sure what the point is with fetch mode.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9665.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2020, 07:57 AM   #91
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Yup, same thing with me. My workmate showed off the fetch mode. Our parking lot in front of the building is divided from the front of building by an access road. We could see the Model 3 and it us (I guess), but it got seriously confused trying to fetch us. My workmate had to hit the red emergency cut-off button an abort the mission. LOL. Being technical people, we just fluffed it off as a beta test and not ideal conditions for a successful test result...

We could have walked to the car in about 20 seconds. Not sure what the point is with fetch mode.
Should be called "show-off" mode. Lots of the autonomous tech so far has been gimmicks.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Murf99314114.00
      11-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #92
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

So much for showing off the feature, that's pretty funny.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      11-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #93
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tesla self-driving beta avoiding road debris

https://electrek.co/2020/11/04/tesla...-debris-video/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #94
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

It's bound to happen eventually. It is the natural progression of technology.

Call me a millennial boomer but I feel technology has reached a point where it is no longer a tool that assists our lives, instead it has morphed into something that dictates our lives. Look at the hyper-polarization in America, it's a direct result of the tech platforms we have today.

In the past automakers attempted to create vehicles that spoke to all the driver's senses, and thrill behind the wheel due to the "feel" of the car. The sounds, smells, vibrations, and muscle memory connections we developed with a car are becoming a thing of the past. Nowadays, thanks to the overarching rule of tech in our lives, the philosophy of automotive engineering and design has shifted radically. The entire goal is to relinquish human control for an automated software.

They can pry my gas engine, shift lever, and steering wheel from my dead hands.
Appreciate 5
Efthreeoh16946.00
Murf99314114.00
swanson733.00
chenry2346.00
      11-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #95
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
It's bound to happen eventually. It is the natural progression of technology.

Call me a millennial boomer but I feel technology has reached a point where it is no longer a tool that assists our lives, instead it has morphed into something that dictates our lives. Look at the hyper-polarization in America, it's a direct result of the tech platforms we have today.

In the past automakers attempted to create vehicles that spoke to all the driver's senses, and thrill behind the wheel due to the "feel" of the car. The sounds, smells, vibrations, and muscle memory connections we developed with a car are becoming a thing of the past. Nowadays, thanks to the overarching rule of tech in our lives, the philosophy of automotive engineering and design has shifted radically. The entire goal is to relinquish human control for an automated software.

They can pry my gas engine, shift lever, and steering wheel from my dead hands.
But will they really need to pry it from your hands if the autonomous tech can be turned on and off on your request like cruise control? Assuming of course they keep the steering wheel?
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      11-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #96
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I'm loving my adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, auto wipers, auto high beam, auto dimming photochromic mirrors, auto adaptive suspension and auto HVAC. These standard and optional features make for a relaxing drive without interfering. All of them have manual override. To me, steering a vehicle isn't difficult and it can be enjoyable, it's the constant tending of the secondary equipment that makes driving a chore. But then we're all spoiled since most of these equipment are almost on every vehicle these days.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #97
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

When someone can explain to me how motorcycles fit into this fantasyland of robot cars, then I may start to have an interest.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
      11-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #98
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Tesla self-driving beta avoiding road debris

https://electrek.co/2020/11/04/tesla...-debris-video/
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #99
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I'm loving my adaptive cruise, lane keeping assist, auto wipers, auto high beam, auto dimming photochromic mirrors, auto adaptive suspension and auto HVAC. These standard and optional features make for a relaxing drive without interfering. All of them have manual override. To me, steering a vehicle isn't difficult and it can be enjoyable, it's the constant tending of the secondary equipment that makes driving a chore. But then we're all spoiled since most of these equipment are almost on every vehicle these days.
I agree, adaptive cruise is so nice. Use it most of my drives. Agree on your point about steering is not the taxing part if in traffic.
Appreciate 1
GenXer1351.00
      11-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #100
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-fsd-...-spaces-video/
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #101
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
https://flip.it/2YN.OG
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #102
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
I agree, adaptive cruise is so nice. Use it most of my drives. Agree on your point about steering is not the taxing part if in traffic.
I love how it literally stops the vehicle when needed especially when some idiot cuts in front of you. I keep my foot at the ready of course. But so far it's been doing a tremendous job keeping distance by speeding up and slowing down. I set mine to the longest gap about 2+ car length.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #103
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I love how it literally stops the vehicle when needed especially when some idiot cuts in front of you. I keep my foot at the ready of course. But so far it's been doing a tremendous job keeping distance by speeding up and slowing down. I set mine to the longest gap about 2+ car length.
I usually set mine to 3/4 (1.5 cars?). Seems like a good balance to me. Did you know on 2021 3/4 they will be able to drive off from a stop due to heavy traffic by checking that your eyes are looking forward? Removes the need to tap the gas, pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #104
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One about Waymo accidents

https://flip.it/m94978
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 12:29 PM   #105
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One about Waymo accidents

https://flip.it/m94978
Sure the tech is ready! "It's here, it just needs more testing."

”Also, the statistics are gathered in a specific part of the country where the speed limit is never above 45 mph and only in certain driving conditions. The Waymo vehicles do not operate during heavy rain and dust storms, for example."

LOL.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #106
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Honda First to Level 3 Autonomous

Honda says will be first to mass produce level 3 autonomous cars

According to motor1.com:

Quote:
Level 3 autonomous driving technology gives the vehicle full control over driving functions. More importantly, the vehicle allows the driver to go hands and eyes off, but the driver must be ready to assume control at any time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:33 PM   #107
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Honda says will be first to mass produce level 3 autonomous cars

According to motor1.com:

Quote:
Level 3 autonomous driving technology gives the vehicle full control over driving functions. More importantly, the vehicle allows the driver to go hands and eyes off, but the driver must be ready to assume control at any time.
The definition is an utter contradiction.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      11-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #108
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Exactly, what a total crock of shit. It's either self drive or it's not.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      11-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #109
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really, you don't just find it more relaxing to be in complete control of the vehicle rather than relying on the machine and have to be at the ready if it fucks up? What happens if (when) it puts you in a situation YOU can't get out of?

Sorry, I just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:03 PM   #110
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
My Hyundai has ACC and lane assist. I keep the lane-keeping assist off. The ACC in the hyundai works every bit as good as it did in my BMW. It's brilliant. The only time I can see myself wanting to use lane keeping assist is when I'm dead tired and question my ability to stay on the road, but that's a big red flag to say I shouldn't be driving in that condition IMO. Still, the ACC is brilliant and I would never go without it again.