BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
Jbowles3
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan/2019 X5

Connected Drive Working - Lessons Learned

After 6 weeks and an hour on the phone with Connected Drive and BMW Genius, my Connected Drive App and in car features are finally working. I thought I'd share some lessons learned.

1. If you are trying to add your car to the app, and it says that it is sending a verification code to the car, don't bother. Call the BMW Connected drive number. According to Connected Drive, this is not the way the G05 connects. Since you login from the car, the verification code thing is not applicable. For me, it meant that my agreement was not set up properly. Once they resolved that, my car showed up in the app without need for a code to be sent to the car.

2. Don't delete your car from the app. If you do, it resets the service agreement somehow. Then you will need to call (see #1) to reactivate.

3. At multiple times, they had me:

a. Reboot the idrive (by holding the volume button for 20 seconds until the screen went blank).
b. Update the apps in the car. From the apps screen, press left on the idrive until "Installed Apps" is highlighted. Press the "Options" button on the idrive (by the big knob). Select "Update Apps".
c. Delete the app from my iphone and reinstall.

4. Make sure after doing all of this that you have "agree to all" checked in the data privacy screen. After updating and after refreshing my agreement, it unchecked.

5. After doing all of this, they had me leave the idrive to "rest". I kid you not. They wanted me to shut down, lock the car, and walk away for 20 minutes. Apparently this gives the car time to update to their network.

After doing all of this, my remote horn, lights, lock, unlock, 3d view, and remote start works like a charm.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having trouble.

JB
Appreciate 7
TechCTU754.00
lumpydog690.50
MystroX56243.00
hknite17.00
edtreo88.50
eagle_bmw182.50
      01-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbowles3 View Post
After 6 weeks and an hour on the phone with Connected Drive and BMW Genius, my Connected Drive App and in car features are finally working. I thought I'd share some lessons learned.

1. If you are trying to add your car to the app, and it says that it is sending a verification code to the car, don't bother. Call the BMW Connected drive number. According to Connected Drive, this is not the way the G05 connects. Since you login from the car, the verification code thing is not applicable. For me, it meant that my agreement was not set up properly. Once they resolved that, my car showed up in the app without need for a code to be sent to the car.

2. Don't delete your car from the app. If you do, it resets the service agreement somehow. Then you will need to call (see #1) to reactivate.

a. Reboot the idrive (by holding the volume button for 20 seconds until the screen went blank).
b. Update the apps in the car. From the apps screen, press left on the idrive until "Installed Apps" is highlighted. Press the "Options" button on the idrive (by the big knob). Select "Update Apps".

4. Make sure after doing all of this that you have "agree to all" checked in the data privacy screen. After updating and after refreshing my agreement, it unchecked.

5. After doing all of this, they had me leave the idrive to "rest". I kid you not. They wanted me to shut down, lock the car, and walk away for 20 minutes. Apparently this gives the car time to update to their network.

After doing all of this, my remote horn, lights, lock, unlock, 3d view, and remote start works like a charm.

JB
JB,
Thank you for sharing this. Things feel like things are finally starting to settle down a bit with the CD app issues. I picked up my car last week and the app has been working flawlessly. It was cool to be able to see my car in the airport parking lot when I was halfway across the country. It's nerdy I know. I used it for a practical application just last night: pouring down rain trying to find my car in the airport parking lot, I flashed the lights. Boom.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:

JB
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:

JB
Laughed out loud reading this. I went through all that shit multiple times. Great/accurate overview.

BMW - nice work. Ouch.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I'm glad it worked out for you. It must have been very frustrating, to say the least.

I've used the app since 2010 and luckily my sales guy set this one up into my existing account properly and it's so much better now than ever with features.

Happy motoring
      01-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Six weeks??? Yikes, you are one patient individual! Glad things are finally working for you.

I find it asinine that there is still no remote start option for the Android version of Connected Drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
jcc285
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I have an issue with my app- everything works flawlessly except for destinations sent from the app to the car. The car never receives them. However, when I do it from the website it works perfectly. Does anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
misterburns
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 - F15

I had to reset my app - dealer didn’t complete set up properly - and now, my app recognizes the car, but I can’t get it to perform any functions. I called BMW connected team and was told there is an outage right now...and has been for a couple days. 🤨.

Oh yeah...weather app gone again for a couple days too.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #9
mikenyc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8 Giga, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterburns View Post
I had to reset my app - dealer didn’t complete set up properly - and now, my app recognizes the car, but I can’t get it to perform any functions. I called BMW connected team and was told there is an outage right now...and has been for a couple days. 🤨.

Oh yeah...weather app gone again for a couple days too.
They keep telling different stories every time you call BmW connected drive - my esc was active since 1.15.19 but app never worked - BmW re did my agreement multiple times while complaining that last time it was not done correctly, this is ridiculous on how they manage those activations, dealers has no clue or how things needs to be done I bet no one educated on that even my dealerships dedicated Genius has no idea what's going on

My car can not be added to my app
22 X6 40i
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #10
misterburns
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 - F15

My ‘genius’ told me you can only remote start with android...won’t work with an iPhone.

Since my app won’t update since they are allegedly down, in a way, he was correct haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #11
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
My ‘genius’ told me you can only remote start with android...won’t work with an iPhone.

Since my app won’t update since they are allegedly down, in a way, he was correct haha.
Wow that is 100% wrong as it is the other around.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I think their "Genius" title is laughable. That's absolutely incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc285 View Post
I have an issue with my app- everything works flawlessly except for destinations sent from the app to the car. The car never receives them. However, when I do it from the website it works perfectly. Does anyone else have this issue?
I just tried to send destinations and it worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #14
ttsar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i / 2025 M4 comp

So remote horn and 3d view are exclusive features for the US market? I've tried Android and iPhone here in Austria, only lock/unlock and flash light are available.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
jcc285
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
I just tried to send destinations and it worked fine.
It works now. I deleted the app and reinstalled it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It seems inconsistent across different users, which makes it all the more frustrating. When my car was delivered, none of the Connected Drive functionality was working. I was able to add my car via the app, but its status was not updating (e.g. it showed the incorrect mileage and fuel level, and showed that the doors were unlocked and windows open). Deleting it and re-adding it did not seem to cause any problems, although in the meantime my dealer reinitiated the setup from their end. I did enter the verification code to complete the process of re-adding the car.

A side effect of them reinitiating the process from the dealer end was that all my windows and sunroof rolled down spontaneously and the doors unlocked when the car was parked. I'm assuming that this was because this connected to the app showing this state prior to it all functioning properly.

Anyway, sorry you had such a terrible experience. Mine only lasted about 36 hours, so I feel like I got off lightly. Still feels like none of this stuff was tested properly or is ready for prime time.
      01-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #17
Lmoney783
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5

Anyone know how to use this with Alexa?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #18
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmoney783 View Post
Anyone know how to use this with Alexa?
You have to add Alexa in you ConnectedDrive app, then open up Alexa and initiate BMW.

Unfortunately, you can only lock and unlock your car via Alexa at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #19
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerboater View Post
I think their "Genius" title is laughable. That's absolutely incorrect.
I agree.

If they actually knew every system and feature they would be very helpful.

In most cases I know more then they do from reading and surfing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #20
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep
Drives: Newb

On the app, I notice that the "Last Update" time only actually updates every few hours.

Example: its 8:38PM and it says last updated at 6:41PM.

Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
Maxi_for_Life
Mister
Romania
Rep
Drives: Bmw x6 3.5xd Bmw X5 G05

I can't book any services for my x5(g05) from ConnectedDrive webstore.*

I can't book any services for my x5(g05) from ConnectedDrive webstore. 
The car is in Austria connected market.
I see the car in the app and my laptop.
I have a ticket on bmw system for about 5 weeks and no resolution.
My car don't have remote services and carplay from factory activated.
After i talked many times with costumer support they say this is a global problem with many cars (g05).
Anyone in the same situation? Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:09 PM   #22
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

Bill -

Not normal. Just noticed that today on my X5 too. 540 updates every time you turn the car off.
Appreciate 0