BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Garage opener

Does anyone know if the Garage opener is programmed to open your garage, if it only works when the key is in the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Does anyone know if the Garage opener is programmed to open your garage, if it only works when the key is in the vehicle?
Works all the time, with or without key in vehicle (as long as the iDrive screen is on.)

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-19-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Works all the time, with or without key in vehicle.
Would you please check again. BMWs have never opened the garage door if the car is not on. It's a safety thing so if you leave your car unlocked outside, people can't just go into it (or break into it), open the garage and get into your house.

I just did a quick check on mine and unlocked it, got in, opened the door, closed the door, locked it with me inside. The garage opener did absolutely nothing, just as I hoped.
      01-19-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Works all the time, with or without key in vehicle.
Would you please check again. BMWs have never opened the garage door if the car is not on. It's a safety thing so if you leave your car unlocked outside, people can't just go into it (or break into it), open the garage and get into your house.

I just did a quick check on mine and unlocked it, got in, opened the door, closed the door, locked it with me inside. The garage opener did absolutely nothing, just as I hoped.
Mine opened my garage without the car started. My F15 required the car to be started.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Just checked with no key and engine off. If the iDrive screen is on, it works. If I power iDrive off by volume button, the garage door doesn’t work. If you smash the window, to get in, it won’t work. If you leave your doors unlocked, then it will work without key.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Thanks both for checking. They changed it a little bit (probably from all the forum complaining &#128514. It's good to know that if your car is locked and parked in your driveway that they're not getting in your house through the garage!
      01-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Exactly why I asked, I'm looking for a secure solution. If I leave my doors unlocked (comfort access doesn't lock it when I walk away lol) I don't want potential access to my garage. Thank you gents for testing.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly why I asked, I'm looking for a secure solution. If I leave my doors unlocked (comfort access doesn't lock it when I walk away lol) I don't want potential access to my garage. Thank you gents for testing.
Push lock on keyfob.
Appreciate 1
mnewnam269.50
      01-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Nick M.
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy with M cars

Quote:
Why would you want to leave your car unlocked outside of your garage?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

When I got home today before I got out of my X5 I tried this again and it worked while it was in standby state before all things switched off into idle state.

As soon as I opened the door and it went into idle state, I tried the opener again. It did not work ... the X was unlocked when I did this.

So it seems that an X5 has got to be in standby or drive-ready for it to work, but if you leave it unlocked and it's in idle, you can't use it

Funny, after I wrote this I looked in the drivers guide and sure enough this is exactly what it says. I could have just looked it up instead of doing my very scientific experiments
BmwGk36.50
      01-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
When I got home today before I got out of my X5 I tried this again and it worked while it was in standby state before all things switched off into idle state.

As soon as I opened the door and it went into idle state, I tried the opener again. It did not work ... the X was unlocked when I did this.

So it seems that an X5 has got to be in standby or drive-ready for it to work, but if you leave it unlocked and it's in idle, you can't use it

Funny, after I wrote this I looked in the drivers guide and sure enough this is exactly what it says. I could have just looked it up instead of doing my very scientific experiments
You're right, it does say it. I must have read right over it. This is the way it should work, IMO. If the key isn't present, can't open my garage. Accidents happen, kids sometimes get a hold of the remote and unlock your doors, or tell Alexa to do it.........
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
You're right, it does say it. I must have read right over it. This is the way it should work, IMO. If the key isn't present, can't open my garage. Accidents happen, kids sometimes get a hold of the remote and unlock your doors, or tell Alexa to do it.........
That would be scary, having Alexa start it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #13
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
Quote:
We can do the following....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo S60

Quote:
Having Alexa start up our cars is such a nice feature in the cold months
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #15
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
We can do the following....
The app is the best it's ever been. I like the departure timer so I don't even have to think to remote start it.

The funny thing is mine always says "low fuel", I guess because it's checking it when the car is off. I've never let my car go below 1/4 tank in my life!
      01-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #16
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry for the confusion, my screen grab was from the Alexa app. It's a skill you can add and use with Alexa.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
Seems dangerous to me, your kid could have her start the car while it’s in the garage, not a feature I would want and I don’t even have kids?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #18
proveg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedesc View Post
Seems dangerous to me, your kid could have her start the car while it’s in the garage, not a feature I would want and I don’t even have kids?
I see your point, the car would run for 15 min max and shut off, I haven't seen it in the manual yet, but seems that you can remotely start twice only before BMW would need you to start it from inside. Trying to start a third time BMW says not all conditions are met.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #19
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveg View Post
I see your point, the car would run for 15 min max and shut off, I haven't seen it in the manual yet, but seems that you can remotely start twice only before BMW would need you to start it from inside. Trying to start a third time BMW says not all conditions are met.
It may just be me but I don’t think it’s a good idea for Alexa type devices to start cars or unlock doors, locking doors, fine with that, starting cars, no way. I wouldn’t want to run a car for 15 minutes in a close, probably attached garage.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #20
proveg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19X5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveg View Post
It may just be me but I don't think it's a good idea for Alexa type devices to start cars or unlock doors, locking doors, fine with that, starting cars, no way. I wouldn't want to run a car for 15 minutes in a close, probably attached garage.
Good news, the car can not be started (I can't see the function) unlocking requires approval in connected app and a pin code, so you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #21
swedesc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Volvo S60

Quote:
Alexa has voice recognition for this feature. It only works after it has recognized my voice and the kids don't seem to have interest. lol
Appreciate 0