BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Today, 08:23 PM   #1
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | M2

TLDR I don't really want to sell it but I got an itch for a comfortable & useful car.

My other car is a GTI hatchback. Several years old, runs great, no complaints. Won't get rid of it because it's not worth much.

I started seeing the new Volvos recently and it caused a bit of an itch. The new XC60 and V60 both look great. With the T8 (turbo- and supercharged, PLUS plug in electric) the XC60 is combined 400hp and the V60 is 360-380 or something like that. Both AWD. Apparently the V60 handles like a boat. Both can be configured super plush with Nappa leather, massage, etc. And Audi is now bringing their wagons to the USA. Plus I've always liked the Q5 and the new Macan is growing on me (although the Macan S is stupid expensive optioned at all).

I almost never drive the M2. I am super concerned about parking it anywhere. I can't drive it on shit roads because the fender flares are ducking massive and will attract all kinds of rocks. Even with a full car xpel ultimate I am worried about crap roads because the thing is so low and has such wide tires even at the front that it just is a rock magnet. Then, it's so damn low that there is the constant danger of it scraping, which I've done already a couple times, unfortunately.

All of which is to say, it's a frigging amazing car, it is SO MUCH FUN to drive, it is also comfortable and more lux than the VW and I rarely drive it. All errands groceries and anywhere we know the parking lot will be shit, which in a big city is everywhere, we take the VW.

I don't know if a $65,000 Volvo is necessarily the solution to that, but I am starting to get bummed I don't drive my favorite toy car. It's literally my favorite car/thing I've ever owned.

:-/

I should also add that the roads downtown are awful and the suspension on both cars is completely unforgiving. I can't even describe how miserable it is getting in and out of downtown in either car. And it's not so much my comfort as it is being ridiculously careful not to blow a tire etc
      Today, 08:27 PM   #2
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Dude, this is on you. DRIVE THE FUCKING CAR! No one loves their car and wants to keep it nice more than me, but I drive my M3 everywhere. It is pointless to have it if itís not your daily IMO. My car is still pretty pristine after over a year of DD. GET OVER IT! Itís a car!
gatorfast2069.50

Today, 08:31 PM   #3
Clark_Kent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS

You need to stop being soft and drive the M2, it's not a LaFerrari. There's nothing more to discuss here. /thread
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:34 PM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((

dude i used to be just like you. until someone rear ended it... peoples teslas and land rovers and even tahoes very likely cost more than your m2..

just drive that shit... i street park mine now. idgaf
Appreciate 1
Red Bread2072.50

Today, 08:36 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4, A4 Avant USP, Vette

Well OP, if you bought the wrong car move on.
Personally I'm still trying to decide if I have the right Vette, or dog or girl friend.
      Today, 08:37 PM   #6
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Dude, this is on you. DRIVE THE FUCKING CAR! No one loves their car and wants to keep it nice more than me, but I drive my M3 everywhere. It is pointless to have it if it's not your daily IMO. My car is still pretty pristine after over a year of DD. GET OVER IT! It's a car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
You need to stop being soft and drive the M2, it's not a LaFerrari. There's nothing more to discuss here. /thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
dude i used to be just like you. until someone rear ended it... peoples teslas and land rovers and even tahoes very likely cost more than your m2..

just drive that shit... i street park mine now. idgaf
These are things I need to hear, but it's hard. I am convinced people are going to destroy it in parking lots.

FWIW, the suspension thing is for real. I can't even count the potholes getting to the freeway from downtown. Getting out of there in both cars is miserable.
      Today, 08:38 PM   #7
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Well OP, if you bought the wrong car move on.
Yeah. My wife said trade it for the Volvo, but I think she was trolling me. That thing would be nowhere near as special nor as fun to drive. The M2 really is a special car.
      Today, 09:10 PM   #8
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I came in here to say don't get a volvo. We had the new xc90 and I hated the dealership/service, can't compare volvo services to real luxury brands. Our car had a ton of issues, it wouldn't have been a big deal if the service department was competent, but it was a nightmare for us.
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa492.00

Today, 09:19 PM   #9
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i MT e88

Garage List
I heard a story about Eddie Vedder getting a new guitar and pulling it out of the package, hands it to a buddy to play and the buddies like oh no it's to nice. Hands it back to Eddie and he takes a quarter out of his pocket and scrapes across the face an hands it back saying how bout' now?

Not sure it's legend or true, heard it in a bar from grandpa. Drive it like you stole it mate
Appreciate 3
      Today, 09:22 PM   #10
skiwhmts
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT M Sport, 335ix E93

It is perfectly normal to change your mind and want something different for a change or to better suit your needs. Go to any dealer and see how many nearly new cars get traded in. I say try some different cars, take them for a test drive and get what you want. If you keep an open mind you might even get a model you weren't expecting you would like which can be fun. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:35 PM   #11
henrylee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

The M2 is not an exotic like a Ferrari or Lambo. It’s a car that was made to be driven.
      Today, 09:38 PM   #12
MJBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90 DCT

Don't understand why anyone would buy an M car not to drive regularly. As above, it's hardly an exotic, it's a fast, fun car built on a practical platform that makes it useable day to day.

I have a compact SUV for work, but I drive the M3 everywhere else.

Also don't understand what you're wanting to do in your original post, are you wanting to sell the fun car to end up with two fine-but-less-fun cars, or selling both to end up in a Volvo?
Appreciate 1
      Today, 09:44 PM   #13
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Drive it or sell it..................it wasn't made to sit in your garage and look pretty. M cars are made to be DRIVEN, so get at it. As others have said, it is not an exotic car that may appreciate if driven less. The M2 will depreciate whether you drive or baby it.
      Today, 10:11 PM   #14
Chris_DM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4: SOLD. New toy incoming.

Dude it's an M2 not a LaFerrari.

Drive it.

If it's more of an affordability issue then that's a different story but given you're looking at Volvos that sticker almost as much it sounds like that's not the root issue here.

Scratch it up. Ding it. Love it. Don't just baby it so the next guy can enjoy it.
      Today, 10:11 PM   #15
stevenvillatoro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ď18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Sell the GTI – that's the only real solution. Read my story...

When I got my M240i, I hung onto a worthless runabout for daily errands. It was a crutch, and I defaulted to using it 99.9% of the time, to keep the new BMW pristine. Just like you, I could see my foolishness, but was helpless to break the pattern. So, I took the drastic measure to sell my old daily driver, specifically in order to FORCE myself to drive the new BMW.

It worked like a charm, but not instantly. It took me a few months to relax about it, but little-by-little I began to truly enjoy the new car. Now, I drive it for pleasure, without a second thought. Sure, I still take sensible precautions. But honestly, I'm so glad every day that I quit cheating myself of all this fun.

>> I **never** could've conquered my obsessiveness without first eliminating the 'lesser' car.

Seriously, selling the GTI is the best way to solve your dilemma. That little VW bugger is doing you NO favors.

2018 M240i Coupe
Appreciate 2
tuco44541.00

Today, 10:22 PM   #16
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Sell the GTI Ė that's the only real solution. Read my story...

When I got my M240i, I hung onto a worthless runabout for daily errands. It was a crutch, and I defaulted to using it 99.9% of the time, to keep the new BMW pristine. Just like you, I could see my foolishness, but was helpless to break the pattern. So, I took the drastic measure to sell my old daily driver, specifically in order to FORCE myself to drive the new BMW.

It worked like a charm, but not instantly. It took me a few months to relax about it, but little-by-little I began to truly enjoy the new car. Now, I drive it for pleasure, without a second thought. Sure, I still take sensible precautions. But honestly, I'm so glad every day that I quit cheating myself of all this fun.

>> I **never** could've conquered my obsessiveness without first eliminating the 'lesser' car.

Seriously, selling the GTI is the best way to solve your dilemma. That little VW bugger is doing you NO favors.
Sounds like good advice. I have an old SUV that I use for hauling, driving to the mountains, and doing dirty stuff like going to the beach. Other than that, itís the M3 all the way every day. But is donít have your issue. Iíve been daily driving my M3 since the day I got it. Believe me, youíll love the car so much more when you are using it as intended. Keeping it as a garage queen is so pointless. It becomes a source of angst instead of joy. Donít get a boring caróget over your mental issue and drive it like you stole it. Youíve already pretty much taken the loss; get the joy youíve paid for!
      Today, 10:29 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Get a Jeep. They are designed to drive in the war zone in which you live.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:33 PM   #18
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
These are things I need to hear, but it's hard. I am convinced people are going to destroy it in parking lots.

FWIW, the suspension thing is for real. I can't even count the potholes getting to the freeway from downtown. Getting out of there in both cars is miserable.
I donít know where you live, but Iím in LA and believe me, we have no shortage of pot holes. Iím on Titan7 wheels (35 profile tires) and MS Comp springs, so Iím lowered. I rarely scrape (Iím careful, admittedly) and avoid the bad potholes whenever possible, but the car is totally fine.
      Today, 10:40 PM   #19
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I am making an assumption from your username that you have graduated from an institution that is known for turning out intelligent, well-rounded individuals with good personal values and devastatingly good looks.

An individual with those traits would eventually notice that he says in his OP that it is the favorite thing he's ever owned, and ask himself - why the hell should he sell it??

(MSB '00)
Appreciate 1
hoyasaxa492.00